HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2013, 07:25 AM
  #151
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by double5son10 View Post
Yeah, those Montreal fans really hated Chris Nilan
And John Kordic and John Ferguson and Brandon Prust and Lyle Odelien and...get the picture. Habs fans don't hate fighting, they hate watching the Habs get beat up.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:26 AM
  #152
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Totally agree, even if Steve is the 14th forward he would be a great asset vs Montreal, Buffalo and Toronto. It would also be fun to dress against Detroit and watch them run like the team of gutless midgets they are.
So.....we hammer teams like the Sabres/Leafs/Habs for signings like Parros or having guys on the roster like a Scott YET....you want Chia to acquire a guy who can`t take a pass to save his life???

Sorry, if the Bruins start making reactionary moves to offset the goon factor in other cities, they are in trouble


And Detroit is now a team of gutless midgets??? We have been watching different teams. Just because they aren`t a team who bangs and crashes hardly makes them gutless. Gutless is constantly diving/embellishing then yapping and skating to the bench to avoid any further friction (see Habs), and THAT, isn`t close to how the Wings play

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:56 AM
  #153
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
So.....we hammer teams like the Sabres/Leafs/Habs for signings like Parros or having guys on the roster like a Scott YET....you want Chia to acquire a guy who can`t take a pass to save his life???

Sorry, if the Bruins start making reactionary moves to offset the goon factor in other cities, they are in trouble


And Detroit is now a team of gutless midgets??? We have been watching different teams. Just because they aren`t a team who bangs and crashes hardly makes them gutless. Gutless is constantly diving/embellishing then yapping and skating to the bench to avoid any further friction (see Habs), and THAT, isn`t close to how the Wings play
Very well said, as always.

No worries. Chiarelli isn't going to go shopping for a goon and waste the money/roster space.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:19 AM
  #154
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,808
vCash: 500
I think Robins as the 13th forward makes a lot of sense. I'd be okay with acquiring Peluso from Winnipeg too; but not sure at what cost. I do'nt think that Chia is interested in these topics though; but I hated seeing Shawn get tagged last year, and don't like the idea of throwing him out by himself against the wolves again this season.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
  #155
pgm16
Registered User
 
pgm16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
So.....we hammer teams like the Sabres/Leafs/Habs for signings like Parros or having guys on the roster like a Scott YET....you want Chia to acquire a guy who can`t take a pass to save his life???

Sorry, if the Bruins start making reactionary moves to offset the goon factor in other cities, they are in trouble


And Detroit is now a team of gutless midgets??? We have been watching different teams. Just because they aren`t a team who bangs and crashes hardly makes them gutless. Gutless is constantly diving/embellishing then yapping and skating to the bench to avoid any further friction (see Habs), and THAT, isn`t close to how the Wings play
Great points !!!

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
  #156
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Very well said, as always.

No worries. Chiarelli isn't going to go shopping for a goon and waste the money/roster space.
He's already shown he will waste money and a roster spot on a useless player in Jay Pandolfo.

Nobody is saying break the bank or shuffle the deck, but would be nice to get a 14th guy here you could put in instead of, or occasionally with #22 to do some heavy lifting. Thornton is 36, and came off a head injury last year...he's a decent player and team leader..and warrior ..too important to me to feed him to the heavies every night...

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:34 AM
  #157
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I would assume Robins would have to go through waivers?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  #158
pgm16
Registered User
 
pgm16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,040
vCash: 500
The forwards will need to recognize that Chara is going to be a target as he was in the playoffs, they will have to increase their physical game when this happens.....not fighting, but nasty like Lucic was in the playoffs

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:09 AM
  #159
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
He's already shown he will waste money and a roster spot on a useless player in Jay Pandolfo.

Nobody is saying break the bank or shuffle the deck, but would be nice to get a 14th guy here you could put in instead of, or occasionally with #22 to do some heavy lifting. Thornton is 36, and came off a head injury last year...he's a decent player and team leader..and warrior ..too important to me to feed him to the heavies every night...
I would like the Bruins to get a guy like McIntyre but even if they did, I doubt he would get into the lineup. When they got McGrattan he was quickly sent to Providence and never even seen a shift in the reg season.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:14 AM
  #160
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I think Robins as the 13th forward makes a lot of sense. I'd be okay with acquiring Peluso from Winnipeg too; but not sure at what cost. I do'nt think that Chia is interested in these topics though; but I hated seeing Shawn get tagged last year, and don't like the idea of throwing him out by himself against the wolves again this season.
Problem with that is that Robins is an inferior fighter, and a trainwreck of a player who takes penalties on top of it. He should never see any NHL ice.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:15 AM
  #161
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would assume Robins would have to go through waivers?
Re-entry waivers have been eliminated.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
  #162
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
He's already shown he will waste money and a roster spot on a useless player in Jay Pandolfo.

Nobody is saying break the bank or shuffle the deck, but would be nice to get a 14th guy here you could put in instead of, or occasionally with #22 to do some heavy lifting. Thornton is 36, and came off a head injury last year...he's a decent player and team leader..and warrior ..too important to me to feed him to the heavies every night...
Thornton would probably be the first guy to tell you his teammates have his back. The Bruins are one of the toughest teams in the NHL. If you asserted to other teams that the Bruins need to add a goon, you'd probably get a lot of puzzled looks to say the least.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  #163
missingchicklet
Registered User
 
missingchicklet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,050
vCash: 500
I can't wait for the 1978 NHL season to start.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  #164
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
I can't wait for the 1978 NHL season to start.
"You can't put a bounty on a man's head!"

"I just did!"


Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  #165
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Problem with that is that Robins is an inferior fighter, and a trainwreck of a player who takes penalties on top of it. He should never see any NHL ice.
From what I watched on hockeyfights, and seeing him live in Manchester a few times, he doesn't look that inferior to me. Watched him hold his own, and probably win against Frazer McLaren this morning. And for a 8 minute per game player, as long as he goes hard and knows his role, I think it would be okay.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  #166
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Thornton would probably be the first guy to tell you his teammates have his back. The Bruins are one of the toughest teams in the NHL. If you asserted to other teams that the Bruins need to add a goon, you'd probably get a lot of puzzled looks to say the least.
Bruins have nobody that would consistently stand up to the bigger guys in the league. Chara and Lucic shouldn't, and McQuaid refuses to step up in weight class (he was coming back from a serious condition, but never has before)...Thornton rarely says no...that's the problem. Don't think it's fair to have a 36 yo #22 go night in and night out...especially now you play the west , you will see more fights IMO with these guys trying to out do each other...

Again, as nothing to do with the team being successful, but figure a 14th guy who can throw and hit 15 -20 games a year while giving #22 a breather would be beneficial to everyone, including our two big stars so they wouldn't feel like they needed to step up.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
  #167
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins have nobody that would consistently stand up to the bigger guys in the league. Chara and Lucic shouldn't, and McQuaid refuses to step up in weight class (he was coming back from a serious condition, but never has before)...Thornton rarely says no...that's the problem. Don't think it's fair to have a 36 yo #22 go night in and night out...especially now you play the west , you will see more fights IMO with these guys trying to out do each other...

Again, as nothing to do with the team being successful, but figure a 14th guy who can throw and hit 15 -20 games a year while giving #22 a breather would be beneficial to everyone, including our two big stars so they wouldn't feel like they needed to step up.
Night in and night out?

I don't think Thornton's fighting THAT much.

IMHO this is a problem that doesn't exist. I'd like every good young player on the Bruins to step up if need be. I don't see the point of signing a knuckle-dragger who can barely play. If teams like Montreal or Buffalo want to do so, fine. Boston doesn't have to.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  #168
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Night in and night out?

I don't think Thornton's fighting THAT much.

IMHO this is a problem that doesn't exist. I'd like every good young player on the Bruins to step up if need be. I don't see the point of signing a knuckle-dragger who can barely play. If teams like Montreal or Buffalo want to do so, fine. Boston doesn't have to.
That's where you and I differ I guess... I don't want a spot picking selectively tough team...Bruins are the toughest team in the league, when they feel like it... I mean, if you are going to beat up the Dallas, Montreal and Carolinas of the league, but then duck the Buffalos and Tarantas of the league, that just doesn't do it for me..If you can beat em up, then by all means have at it, but ignore the guys who can hit to hurt?...but to each their own... Thornton is a guy who is going to go, remember, it's a different game now...full season, playing the west for the first time in 2 years...those games tend to get rough...lots of fighting...

Where is this knuckle dragger that can't play stuff coming from? Brian McGrattan had 3 goals in 19 games with CAL, same as Chris Kelly over 34 games...Fraser mcLaren had as many goals as Shawn Thornton...There are plenty of tough guys who can fight and play an honest shift...

Anyways this is more about a self preservation for #22 then how tough the Bruins are.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 AM
  #169
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
...is nowhere near being able to handle a shift in the NHL.
It was a joke to see if anyone remembered him


Seriously though McGrattan was out there to be had for little money and they passed. Maybe they can get Kassian as part of a deal for Chris Kelly.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
  #170
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
It's not about the team getting a knuckle dragging goon to go out there and do staged fights. It's about giving a 36 year old who has fought almost every single HW that his came his way since he joined the team a break. Much like what myself and everyone else has said its not fair for Thornton to have to deal with all the heavies.

Like it was said after Scott pummeled Thornton Buffalo had free reign to do whatever they wanted. They kept running our goalies and even elbowed our prized rookie. It's not about just going out and fighting its about other teams taking liberties with our guys. I saw last season and during the playoffs a lot of liberties were taken against the Bruins.

Look at our 2 main rival teams

Montreal:
Parros
Prust
White

Toronto
Orr
Mclaren
Fraser

Each team has 2 top fighters and a lower tier guy. The Bruins really just have Thornton. Lucic is a star or on the verge of being a star. I don't want to see him going with a Parros or Mclaren. Needs to be on the ice. Same with Chara. Unless something major happens and we need our captain he shouldn't be fighting. Mcquaid's fights last year were very bland. He was getting over an injury. I would only really want him to fight a Parros or Mclaren if he was 100% healthy, bulked up and pissed off. After that who is there? Campbell has heart but isn't a good fighter. Boychuk, Seidenberg and Kelly have fought but aren't big fighters. I don't see anyone else. I don't think it would be the end of the world if the team went and got some big huge enforcer guy to be the 13th-14th forward.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  #171
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
So.....we hammer teams like the Sabres/Leafs/Habs for signings like Parros or having guys on the roster like a Scott YET....you want Chia to acquire a guy who can`t take a pass to save his life???

Sorry, if the Bruins start making reactionary moves to offset the goon factor in other cities, they are in trouble


And Detroit is now a team of gutless midgets??? We have been watching different teams. Just because they aren`t a team who bangs and crashes hardly makes them gutless. Gutless is constantly diving/embellishing then yapping and skating to the bench to avoid any further friction (see Habs), and THAT, isn`t close to how the Wings play
I have never hammered a team for adding toughness, and I never will.

As far as Detroit goes I can watch team Sweden in the Olympics this year and those two weeks every four years are more than enough for me. I am going to be very interested to see how the WIngs do in a tougher conference in a much tougher division than they are used to.

I feel really sorry for Tootoo, he may not survive the season.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:15 AM
  #172
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
That's where you and I differ I guess... I don't want a spot picking selectively tough team...Bruins are the toughest team in the league, when they feel like it... I mean, if you are going to beat up the Dallas, Montreal and Carolinas of the league, but then duck the Buffalos and Tarantas of the league, that just doesn't do it for me..If you can beat em up, then by all means have at it, but ignore the guys who can hit to hurt?...but to each their own... Thornton is a guy who is going to go, remember, it's a different game now...full season, playing the west for the first time in 2 years...those games tend to get rough...lots of fighting...

Where is this knuckle dragger that can't play stuff coming from? Brian McGrattan had 3 goals in 19 games with CAL, same as Chris Kelly over 34 games...Fraser mcLaren had as many goals as Shawn Thornton...There are plenty of tough guys who can fight and play an honest shift...

Anyways this is more about a self preservation for #22 then how tough the Bruins are.
McGrattan had 3 in his first 214 NHL games. Which is more telling?

McLaren had 1 in his first 40 NHL games, and 13 in 200+ AHL games. Neither can play an honest shift to save their live. The game is hockey, toughness comes from your ability to ice guys who are both tough and can contribute to the scoresheet. Has zero to do with your ability to accept or not accept staged fights with the heavies in the league.

If anything, if Thornton's ability to hang in there when needed wanes, the long playoff year and playing in the west would indicate rotating more guys who can play hockey through RW4, not adding another tough guy.

MTaylorJ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
  #173
Cid
Registered User
 
Cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
It's not about the team getting a knuckle dragging goon to go out there and do staged fights. It's about giving a 36 year old who has fought almost every single HW that his came his way since he joined the team a break. Much like what myself and everyone else has said its not fair for Thornton to have to deal with all the heavies.

Like it was said after Scott pummeled Thornton Buffalo had free reign to do whatever they wanted. They kept running our goalies and even elbowed our prized rookie. It's not about just going out and fighting its about other teams taking liberties with our guys. I saw last season and during the playoffs a lot of liberties were taken against the Bruins.

Look at our 2 main rival teams

Montreal:
Parros
Prust
White

Toronto
Orr
Mclaren
Fraser


Each team has 2 top fighters and a lower tier guy. The Bruins really just have Thornton. Lucic is a star or on the verge of being a star. I don't want to see him going with a Parros or Mclaren. Needs to be on the ice. Same with Chara. Unless something major happens and we need our captain he shouldn't be fighting. Mcquaid's fights last year were very bland. He was getting over an injury. I would only really want him to fight a Parros or Mclaren if he was 100% healthy, bulked up and pissed off. After that who is there? Campbell has heart but isn't a good fighter. Boychuk, Seidenberg and Kelly have fought but aren't big fighters. I don't see anyone else. I don't think it would be the end of the world if the team went and got some big huge enforcer guy to be the 13th-14th forward.
Boston:
Thornton
Lucic
McQuaid
Chara


I really don't see the issue. Lucic is the toughest kid in the league and can fight anyone and rarely loses. Thornton can hold his own against the heavies. He will also never fight Parros and vice versa. McQuaid will give a solid go to any middle weights and Chara can stand with anyone until he loses his balance. I see no point in signing a 4th line goon that will play 3 minutes and screw up our system of running 4 lines.

Bruins are successful because we have 4 lines and run them all. A 4th line, 3 minute goon is of no use to this team. John Scott can't fight anyone if noone accepts his challenge for the 3 minutes in the first period he is actually on the ice. Ignore him.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
  #174
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
And John Kordic and John Ferguson and Brandon Prust and Lyle Odelien and...get the picture. Habs fans don't hate fighting, they hate watching the Habs get beat up.
which is the funny part.

for years now we've been listening to mont fans cry and wine about how fighting shouldn't be a part of the game, the bruins are just a bunch of goons who cant skate, how classless Lucic is etc etc etc.

hell, start a thread on the fight board involving the bruins and mont. whiners are the first in it trying to rip on the B's.

and the reality is they are fans of exactly what they complain about, but only when its there team doing the pushing and shoving.

its the years of hypocrital garbage like that that has this bruin fan wanting to puke everytime a Montreal fan lambasts lucic or thornton, yet they jump for joy when they trade for a Parros and now alls right with the world.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:23 AM
  #175
Asif16*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
I dont know why you guys are worrying about montreal getting Parros. You guys are complaining about Shawn thornton wearing down? Wait till you watch Parros. He is nothing like his Ducks days anymore. Dude barely won a fight last season. He is also a terrible hockey player. Shawn thornton can actually play hockey.

Montreal acquiring parros doesnt make them intimidating at all in my opinion. Prust is the only legit tough guy on that team. Everyone else is a bunch of pansies. Montreal is still one of the softest teams in the NHL by a country mile. You guys can beat em up any day of the week.

If there is one team this thread qualifies against....its probably the Maple leafs. I still consider Orr and Mclaren to be "Goons" but i dont think they are useless goons like Scott and Parros. Randy carlyle has turned them into better hockey players. You guys all saw how Orr played every game against you guys in the playoffs and how useful he was in wearing down chara with hits. Orr even had a couple of scoring chances. Mcalren even scored a goal against you guys in regular season correct? And what about mark fraser? Dude was a plus 18 in the regualr seasona and one of their better stay home defenders. One of the toughest MOFOS in the league.

If you guys wanna call a legit fighter up...do it against the leafs. But sabres or habs?? Hell no

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.