HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Fresh34

vCash: 500
Yeah switch Schenn and Simmonds and that's ideal. Schenn and Simmonds play well together and should play even better with Vinny.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1457
It appears that Brian Boucher has signed with (Zug) a team in a Swiss league.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

That's good. Switzerland is nice.

07-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Simmonds
McGinn/Akeson/Laughton/Raffl/Straka/Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot
Rosehill

PP is

Schenn-Giroux-Lecavalier
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell-Read-Simmonds
Streit-Gustaffson

Basically Read Streit Gus play catch while Hartnell and Simmonds cause mayhem...

Schenn did well when they put him on the first PP unit last year in place of Hartnell if he's playing first line minutes with G and Voracek already can see them using him there again.
I'm seeing something like this:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
XXXXX - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Hall - Rinaldo
X: Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Grossmann - Gustafsson
X: Gervais

Meszaros seems like he's almost certainly gone once he's deemed healthy.
The 3rd line LW position will be filled by one of Gagne, Laughton, Raffl, Straka, or McGinn. I really don't see Akeson making the team. He's not really a 3rd line type of player. Honestly, I think Gagne, Laughton and McGinn are the 3 guys best suited for that line. Straka and Raffl are more like top-6-style players from what I've seen.

I am very excited about this team. I think that Emery will be very good as long as his injuries don't resurface, and Mason should be decent as well. Can't wait for training camp!

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It appears that Brian Boucher has signed with (Zug) a team in a Swiss league.
Good for him. Very beautiful country.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I'm Meszaros seems like he's almost certainly gone once he's deemed healthy.
The 3rd line LW position will be filled by one of Gagne, Laughton, Raffl, Straka, or McGinn. I really don't see Akeson making the team. He's not really a 3rd line type of player. Honestly, I think Gagne, Laughton and McGinn are the 3 guys best suited for that line. Straka and Raffl are more like top-6-style players from what I've seen.
Straka yes, but not Raffl. Raffl's NHL equivalency last year was around 30 points and the scouts are quoted having him pegged as a 3rd line type who is NHL-ready or close to it. I think he and Gagne are the two most likely candidates for the 3LW spot this year.

I see the rest of the roster the same as you.

Last edited by Damaged Goods: 07-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Laughton - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Lecavalier - Read
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds

There it is. Post #185 from the thread 2013-14 line-up.

Just want to clarify, I am not makin' things up.
Oh, ok so someone put Laughton as our first line winger. I concede I was mistaken because someone has now obviously said it, but of you expect me to take that seriously you are mistaken yourself

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I'd really like to see Schenn start off on G's LW to start the season. I think a line of Schenn-Giroux-Voracek would be ridiculous and could really give Schenn the best opportunity to break out and gain confidence. While it's not make-or-break, I think next year is going to be very important for Schenn.

And this might be a stupid question but what kind of player would you classify Schenn as? I don't think he fits as a sniper, playmaker, or grinder so what would you call him?

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I'd really like to see Schenn start off on G's LW to start the season. I think a line of Schenn-Giroux-Voracek would be ridiculous and could really give Schenn the best opportunity to break out and gain confidence. While it's not make-or-break, I think next year is going to be very important for Schenn.

And this might be a stupid question but what kind of player would you classify Schenn as? I don't think he fits as a sniper, playmaker, or grinder so what would you call him?
Those terms really don't apply in this case but Schenn is a goal scorer. I see him as a 25-30 goal guy and maybe a 60 pt player.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post

Hes a pass first guy, he really is such a slick passer.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:05 PM
MsWoof

Wayne Simmonds had a charity ball hockey tournament at the arena near my house yesterday. Rinaldo was there along with Drew Doughty, Joel Ward and the Stewart brothers. Joe Bowen who is the Leafs' pbp guy came out to do the pbp and was pretty funny. Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammike...7634630582792/

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Wayne Simmonds had a charity ball hockey tournament at the arena near my house yesterday. Rinaldo was there along with Drew Doughty, Joel Ward and the Stewart brothers. Joe Bowen who is the Leafs' pbp guy came out to do the pbp and was pretty funny. Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammike...7634630582792/
I still chuckle every time I see Wayne's legs. How he is that strong on his skates with those bird legs I'll never understand.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:39 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I still chuckle every time I see Wayne's legs. How he is that strong on his skates with those bird legs I'll never understand.
He really doesn't have a hockey physique. Most of them have a big butt and big legs but he looks more like a tennis player than hockey player.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1457
Saw this on Kukla's site...

Quote:
The NHL is a better place when Ed Snider and Paul Holmgren are active. Which is always.

Snider, owner of the Flyers, has reached into his wallet to give his general manager the money he needs. In turn, Holmgren has been equally busy burning those dollars as well as handing them out.

Snider will pay Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere $26,333,333 through 2027 to not play in Philadelphia. The bulk of the loot will go to Bryzgalov, the space-shot goalie the Flyers once projected to be the ace they’ve longed for.

On June 23, 2011, Holmgren re-signed Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million blockbuster. One day short of a year later, Holmgren traded Sergei Bobrovsky to Columbus for three picks.

Bobrovsky is now the Vezina Trophy winner. Bryzgalov is unemployed.

And yet Snider keeps opening his checkbook. Snider’s latest commitments total $45,150,000, according to www.capgeek.com. This is not a gun-shy owner.

The difference is that this time, Holmgren is investing Snider’s cash wisely. The Flyers improved at goal, defense, and center by signing Ray Emery, Mark Streit, and Vincent Lecavalier. If the Flyers don’t return to the playoffs next season, it will not reflect well on coach Peter Laviolette.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...ZmL/story.html

Source: Boston Globe

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Flyerfan4life

sure looking forward to this season.

just hope n pray lavis system isnt still a glaring issue vs. divisional rivals.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:00 AM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

im quoting you, but this is directed at sooo many people....so dont take it personally

lavy's system has proven to work.....its not the problem, and it wasnt the problem last season, or in the playoffs vs jersey

goddamnit im so tired of hearing this

sorry, rant over

...i do agree with you 100 percent, i cannot wait for the season to start

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:29 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
im quoting you, but this is directed at sooo many people....so dont take it personally

lavy's system has proven to work.....its not the problem, and it wasnt the problem last season, or in the playoffs vs jersey

goddamnit im so tired of hearing this

sorry, rant over

...i do agree with you 100 percent, i cannot wait for the season to start

Then what's the problem, in your opinion?

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:36 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Then what's the problem, in your opinion?
Injuries and a lack of trust in the team's goaltending.

Laviolette's system was never seriously in question until the Penguins series in 2012. That series was an anomaly, obviously, and we've only had one season between then and now, and that season saw our defense get slaughtered by injuries all while having the very definition of incompetence between the pipes.

I'd like to wait until we see what this team is capable of with a healthy D core and reliable (or at the very least, steady) goaltending before I diagnose an issue. I'm not going to say that all our problems are behind us, but it's very possible that the problem of yesterday will not be the problem of tomorrow given the changes that have been made.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:17 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

Not only against divisional rivals but also in the playoffs when things really tighten up. Plus there is the wear and tear of playing such a high tempo system over the course of a season.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
lavy's system has proven to work
It has also shown to have a shelf life, like most coaches. As much as Laviolette shown to be a successful coach, it would be hard not to question him with a continued poor performance against the Devils,Rangers, and other trapping teams that would now span over 3 seasons. Don't forget that Lavy went almost a full two calendar years without beating the Rangers and has one shoot out win against the Devils since Game 1 of the 2012 playoff series.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Injuries and a lack of trust in the team's goaltending.

Laviolette's system was never seriously in question until the Penguins series in 2012. That series was an anomaly, obviously, and we've only had one season between then and now, and that season saw our defense get slaughtered by injuries all while having the very definition of incompetence between the pipes.

I'd like to wait until we see what this team is capable of with a healthy D core and reliable (or at the very least, steady) goaltending before I diagnose an issue. I'm not going to say that all our problems are behind us, but it's very possible that the problem of yesterday will not be the problem of tomorrow given the changes that have been made.
I agree that the Penguins series was an anomoly, but that Jersey series did make me question Lavi's system. Games 2 through 4 of that series seemed like they were spent entirely in the Flyers zone with Jersey just forechecking the hell out of us. Coupled with the constant de-fanging of our attack that Tortorella's Rangers pulled on us every time they played makes you wonder if there are serious holes in the system.

dawkins121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Hiesenberg

Maybe those teams were just better? Devils did make it to the Cup finals that year. They were a good team.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Maybe those teams were just better? Devils did make it to the Cup finals that year. They were a good team.
A lot of Devils fans speculate that their current roster was constructed as a response to the Flyers beating them badly in 2010. I would assume that the Rangers at least gave that some thought as well.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Lavy's system works fine when he has the right type of players. He needs two way defenseman and forwards. Our Top 6 hasn't been as defensively responsible as it was when we had Carter, Richards, Gagne, Hartnell, and Leino (who was a very good back checker during that time). Last year we had not real PMD besides Timonen, and to an extent Coburn, and our goalie couldn't handle the puck. The uptempo game Lavy tries to play isn't able to function when you can't get the puck out of your own zone quickly.

Lavy the system is an ok one, that has gotten teams two different teams to the finals. Lavy the coach has a short shelf life, as you can only scream so much.

Also, always fighting for possession of the puck after a lost faceoff really hurts. It's Giroux and then nothing, while before we had 3 guys that while not special, were adequate.

Last edited by Protest: 07-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The Rangers and Devils have been choking the life out of us for years now, and Lavioltte has no clue how to respond.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote