HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Development Camp Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 04:00 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post
Why can't they stream it, like the Canucks

That would be cool. Hell, it'd be great if they just put two GoPro cameras on either side and put those videos up online in their entirety. That would be fantastic. It wouldn't even require someone being paid to tape it, just stick them up on the glass and leave them there.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Great8Cam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
Anyone notice the camera lens is a little foggy making Grimaldi look like he's glowing during the interview, lol.
JC watches over him

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Holy Jokinen

With all this talk about moving guys from Center to Wing, i was thinking.... isn't it MUCH easier to convert a guy from Center to Wing, rather than trying to convert him from Wing to Center? I've played both positions regularly and there's definitely a lot more responsibility for Centers, especially defensively. As a winger, you're generally much more free, and it's a much simpler game.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
With all this talk about moving guys from Center to Wing, i was thinking.... isn't it MUCH easier to convert a guy from Center to Wing, rather than trying to convert him from Wing to Center? I've played both positions regularly and there's definitely a lot more responsibility for Centers, especially defensively. As a winger, you're generally much more free, and it's a much simpler game.
you traditionally don't randomly convert a winger to a center unless they've played it in juniors

the best players on the team are almost always raised to be centers because they can do more and thus have most nhl prospects player center at some time and learned the craft

they've tried experiments with kane in the center role in chicago and it didn't work out optimal

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Yep, very true. And we have some crafty, smart centermen who could make the transition easily I think. The bottom line is, it's our misfortune, if you can call it that, that we have a bunch of centers coming up at the same time. They can't all play center. It's just not possible.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:32 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Corbin Knight ripped our camp in an interview with Flames media.

He was asked if he went to a development camp in Florida and responded "I went to one and it wasn't quite like this". Then the reporter said, "Wasn't quite like this one. In what way?". Knight (laughing) said "It wasn't as intense as this one; more beach time and stuff like that".

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:

He was asked if he went to a development camp in Florida and responded "I went to one and it wasn't quite like this". Then the reporter said, "Wasn't quite like this one. In what way?". Knight (laughing) said "It wasn't as intense as this one; more beach time and stuff like that".
Yeah well Flames are known to being such a great prospect->pro making machine

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Yeah well Flames are known to being such a great prospect->pro making machine
yeah, what can they do in calgary?

sightseeing around flooded stuff? i dont even know what there is to do in calgary all they can do is skate and stuff i guess. also think team bonding is more important htan he want to give credit for

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:18 PM
PanthersRule96

lol, whatever calgary has been doing with their mediocre prospects hasn't been working, so maybe they should switch it up a little bit. Knight is likely going to be an average player anyway, who may be decent in the NHL or more likely will be a solid AHL player.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:31 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

I guess he sees more fun in cow tipping

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Ellerby, Knight.. Why do these guys feel the need to rip on past organizations? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Unprofessional as it gets.

Old
07-14-2013, 04:24 PM
as15

I don't see knights comments as ripping on the organization. He said the camp was different, and explained how it was different. Is he supposed to lie about it and say Florida's camp was more intense if it wasn't?

Anyone that has followed Corban Knight knows he is basically the definition of a character guy. Just because he is no longer a prospect of the organization doesn't mean we have to bash him for answering a question truthfully.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:33 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post
I don't see knights comments as ripping on the organization. He said the camp was different, and explained how it was different. Is he supposed to lie about it and say Florida's camp was more intense if it wasn't?

Anyone that has followed Corban Knight knows he is basically the definition of a character guy. Just because he is no longer a prospect of the organization doesn't mean we have to bash him for answering a question truthfully.
Still, it's a little off topic since he's at the CALGARY FLAMES d-camp. Why even bring up the Panthers?

Old
07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Still, it's a little off topic since he's at the CALGARY FLAMES d-camp. Why even bring up the Panthers?
If your post is accurate, he was asked a question and answered it. The reporter brought it up.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with Knight's comments. Or his decision for that matter. Looks like he could play with Calgary this season whereas I didn't expect to see him up with us until at least a couple years.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:12 PM
PanthersRule96

Anyone have opinions on Howden from camp? Having played a year in the AHL already and as a former 1st rounder, he should be expected to dominate at a rookie camp like this (injuries aside). I didn't read too much about him. Given that a lot of these young guys are very green and not as strong as a guy like Howden at this point, it's a big concerning to me if players like Howden or McFarland are not standing out. Hopefully these guys come around and I know development camp is not a place to gain any insight from, but I do have high hopes for Trochek, Bjugs, Barkov, Matheson, and Petrovic to hopefully be the next wave of young studs for us.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:04 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:

Funny guy.

A couple years ago the "mighty" Flames prospects (S.Baertschi being the headliner) were training and doing off ice work in the same gym I was running my basketball summer camps with little kids. I would say the Panthers one is better...hey just talking from personal experience here

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post

and what's wrong with the panthers camp being a little more about the beach? the organization is trying to sell a desirable lifestyle to the prospects and FAs. everyone loved the new approach (including me) when they started doing it a couple of years ago. thin skin, people. sheez.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:45 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
and what's wrong with the panthers camp being a little more about the beach? the organization is trying to sell a desirable lifestyle to the prospects and FAs. everyone loved the new approach (including me) when they started doing it a couple of years ago. thin skin, people. sheez.
Really!
I remember when talking to Randy Sexton years ago, he said he didn't want "the vacation lifestyle" to be a part of the decision to compete as a Panther. While I understand where he's coming from, we do need something to compete with say...regularly playing in front of a full crowd that actually gives a **** about hockey itself, etc.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Dr Beinfest

There's no reason to take his comments so negatively.

We the Florida Panthers fans might observe his comments as being a former Florida Panther, but the reality is that he said that as a new Calgary Flame.

If we were to bring a guy in and he was all like "oh actually things were a lot better in New Jersey than they are here in Florida now..." wouldn't that be totally awkward and inappropriate? Come on, use your head. He's not ripping this organization, he's speaking well of his current organization.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Really!
I remember when talking to Randy Sexton years ago, he said he didn't want "the vacation lifestyle" to be a part of the decision to compete as a Panther. While I understand where he's coming from, we do need something to compete with say...regularly playing in front of a full crowd that actually gives a **** about hockey itself, etc.
well, ideally they aren't still playing in front of a 3/4 empty arena in a few years, but yeah this new-style camp started under tallon, iirc. so different philosophy. another part of it was bringing in an ex-panther from the golden era - skrudland - and having him chaperone the kids, showing the best of south florida. i thought was a great idea.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Big Bjugs
Amat victoria curam

Of course Knight is going to be bias towards anything to do with the Flames. Its his team, its what you do, especially with the media. You don't want to start your career off bashing the team you just got traded to. It would be non-sense for Knight to say otherwise.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:34 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
well, ideally they aren't still playing in front of a 3/4 empty arena in a few years, but yeah this new-style camp started under tallon, iirc. so different philosophy. another part of it was bringing in an ex-panther from the golden era - skrudland - and having him chaperone the kids, showing the best of south florida. i thought was a great idea.
Agree. They may be professional athletes, but they are still people who do go home at the end of the night (obviously when they aren't at away games). It's good for the prospects to see the South Florida way of life and let them understand and experiment with it and most importantly enjoy it. Nothing wrong with trying to sell the prospects on the area they will live and help them fall in love with it potentially. They're still humans.

I like this approach.

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Anyone have opinions on Howden from camp? Having played a year in the AHL already and as a former 1st rounder, he should be expected to dominate at a rookie camp like this (injuries aside). I didn't read too much about him. Given that a lot of these young guys are very green and not as strong as a guy like Howden at this point, it's a big concerning to me if players like Howden or McFarland are not standing out. Hopefully these guys come around and I know development camp is not a place to gain any insight from, but I do have high hopes for Trochek, Bjugs, Barkov, Matheson, and Petrovic to hopefully be the next wave of young studs for us.
Howden looked great in drills and practices, but it's hardly a fair determination of how he actually is "looking". Training camp will tell us more, but I'd guess that he will start the season in the AHL but won't stay there all season.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner

Quote:

do you have a link to this ?

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote