HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Put on the GM hat

Old
07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
predshabs

vCash: 500
Put on the GM hat

What one trade would you make to improve the preds roster today if you could?
I will start out.

To Edmonton Gaustad, Ellis, Smith, rights to Spaling

To Nashville rights to Gagner, Smid

Reading other posts on here it seems Edmonton is looking for a Gaustad type player and a Spaling type player as well. Smith is good but something just is not clicking now but he has a big upside.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Infinite Jest

Why would the Preds be interested in Gangner? If he had shown he was able to play wing he'd be an ok addition, but as it stands, he is a small 40-50 point center that is weak defensively and awful on faceoffs.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:04 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Why would the Preds be interested in Gangner? If he had shown he was able to play wing he'd be an ok addition, but as it stands, he is a small 40-50 point center that is weak defensively and awful on faceoffs.
While you're spot on with Gagner, Smid is the prize in that deal. He's big, mean, good defensively and a left hander. It would give us balance on the blue line AND it would not force us to rush Jones if we felt he wasn't ready. Imagine the pairings for a moment, Weber/Josi, Klein/Smid and Jones/Ekholm. While the third pairing is young and green, the first two pairings make up for it and we can always mix and match guys as we see fit so if we wanted to get Jones and Ekholm more minutes, we have a few options to put them with more experienced guys.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
While you're spot on with Gagner, Smid is the prize in that deal.
...and he's why Edmonton would turn it down. They recognize that he's their best defensive guy and that to move him would create a serious hole in their blueline. They were already short on defensive folks, and just patched that up with Ference; I don't see them being all that willing to reopen that hole.

Players like Gaustad and Spaling are of the sort where they wouldn't be expecting to trade core blueliners to get 'em.

It also doesn't help that Edmonton's center depth is such that just succinctly removing Gagner is a Bad Idea, but frankly there's so many Edmonton fans that seem to believe in some sort of Manifest Destiny such that they'll get some star #1C to be their #2 eventually and thus be able to trade Gagner that his expendability is an easy mistaken impression to have.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
thecloser

On nhlnetwork on Sirius xm during the show the power play they said that we had a deal in place for Smid but it fell through and this Blum was signed by MIN. I wonder if we'll still try to snag him.

NSH
Smid
Omark

EDM
Smith
Gaustad
Rights to Spaling

Or for cap shed reasons

Smid for Goose and Spals and ship Smith elsewhere? Spitballing here

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
alexmanu

I wonder if we can ship out Gaustad/Spaling and a draft pick for Smid. I don't want to give up on Smith just yet, I still think the guy can be a good NHL player.

Imagine our D with Smid though!

Josi-Weber
Klein-Jones
Smid-Ekholm
Ellis

(Bartley seems like the odd man out to me if we're thinking long-term, despite being pretty good towards the end of last season)

I mean that is a pretty good D to say the least. To be able to put Smid on a third paring and help our young guys. Wow.

I think the Oilers have a need for a Spaling/Gaustad type player for sure, maybe both.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IF there was a way to get Smid (doubtful), our D would be insanely good.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IF there was a way to get Smid (doubtful), our D would be insanely good.
Yeah I know I'm just in awe thinking about how good our D could get if we made that deal. I mean Pekka can win games on his own sometimes, but with a D that good it could be his best chance to finally win the Vezina.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
RaiderDoug

Putting on my Oilers hat for a second, I don't see anything anywhere in this thread that is enticing for Edmonton.

They wants some bottom 6 grit, but those guys can be gotten without having to give up Gagner, much less Smid, and without taking on Gaustad's contract.

Ellis is a shaky prospect, Smith and Spaling have little value on the trade market.

Edmonton by far gives up the two best players for spare parts.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Putting on my Oilers hat for a second, I don't see anything anywhere in this thread that is enticing for Edmonton.

They wants some bottom 6 grit, but those guys can be gotten without having to give up Gagner, much less Smid, and without taking on Gaustad's contract.

Ellis is a shaky prospect, Smith and Spaling have little value on the trade market.

Edmonton by far gives up the two best players for spare parts.
I'm not taking into account Gagner. I'm just thinking about a deal for Smid. We could always add Bartley to the deal, he looked pretty comfortable on the second pair towards the end of last season. Maybe they bite on Ellis because of the perceived upside though.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
thecloser

I could definitely see

Gaustad
Ellis
For
Smid

Old
07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
I could definitely see

Gaustad
Ellis
For
Smid
I'd do that deal. It gets rid of Gaustad's AWFUL contract for one. I hate to see Ellis go because I still think he could turn out good but Smid is already proven and would be a good experienced guy to play alongside a guy like Ekholm.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:17 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
I'm not taking into account Gagner. I'm just thinking about a deal for Smid. We could always add Bartley to the deal, he looked pretty comfortable on the second pair towards the end of last season. Maybe they bite on Ellis because of the perceived upside though.
But if i'm the Oilers, and my problem is defense, why am I trading one of my few competent blueliners for a collection of lesser blueliners + Gaustad?

I don't know if the Oilers and us make great trading partners. They need defensemen who are ready now, and all we really have to spare are project and young defensemen (assuming Klein, Josi and Weber are untradeable).

Old
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I could definitely see

Gaustad
Ellis
For
Smid
I couldn't. Ellis for Smid is not good for them. They're focusing on Schultz and their blueline prospects for power play ability. Smid's the defensive leader of that team; they're not moving him anytime soon.

Imagine if folks noticed the number of kids starting on the bottom pairing over here and started offering somewhat-overpriced #4-5 guys for Hornqvist. How well do you think folks here would react to that?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:26 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I couldn't. Ellis for Smid is not good for them. They're focusing on Schultz and their blueline prospects for power play ability. Smid's the defensive leader of that team; they're not moving him anytime soon.

Imagine if folks noticed the number of kids starting on the bottom pairing over here and started offering somewhat-overpriced #4-5 guys for Hornqvist. How well do you think folks here would react to that?
I see what you're saying but I don't think anyone is untouchable for EDM other than Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Yaks

Old
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
I see what you're saying but I don't think anyone is untouchable for EDM other than Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Yaks
I agree, but the problem with moving Smid is the same with us moving a Klein or Josi. It opens up a bigger hole than the problem you're trying to solve.

That said, I could definately see them dangle Gagner to try to fill that bottom 6 defensive forward need.

I think I would do it if I was Poile. Gagner would be the #1 center here, and while not the big time PPG forward, is another guy that can score - and when the guy gets hot, there's no one who can put up points like him around the NHL.

But what $$$'s does he want. And we'd almost definately have to move Gaustad's contract to fit Gagner in, so if Edmonton doesn't want that, then we don't have a whole lot we can move and still sign the guy to a reasonable contract. Maybe we have to sweeten it with Craig Smith.

Wilson-Gagner-Stalberg
Forsberg - Fisher - HQ
Beck - Leggy - Bourque
Nystrom - Cullen - Hendricks.

Looks good to me.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Nurse will end up a good fit with Edm...

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
thecloser

So do a

Gaustad + Smith

For

Gagner

Old
07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If Edmonton is going to give up Smid they are going to want a LHD back in the package, or they will need another trade lined up to get a LHD to play top pairing minutes. Since moving Josi to get Smid would be a downgrade, that obviously won't happen. Mattias Ekholm isn't proven, so I doubt they go for that without us really making the rest of the package impossible to pass on.

The requirements for Edmonton far outweigh the need for Nashville. We simply should not, and will not, give up what it would take to bring in a guy who will be on our second pair, even if it does make our defense ****ing ridiculous.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:41 AM
predshabs

Try this on for size then.

Oilers get- Phaneuf, Rights to Spaling, Gaustad, Predators 1st round pick

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary),Kulemin

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque

Anybody else got any other trade ideas? That is what the original post asked.

Last edited by predshabs: 07-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.
predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:35 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary)

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque

So we get Smid and Hemsky (slight discount) for Spals, Goose, 1st, Ellis, and Bourque?????

Did we lose some sort of insane bet? That's a ton.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
maplepred

Don't really think we need smid, if we have any trading chips it should be for offense. Not smid.
Hemsky is definitely tempting from the oil though, and if they are willing to take on an overlaid gaustad I'm all for it! We get a big game sniper (who can hopefully stay healthy), plus shed one of our two worst contracts (nystrom the other).
I could definitely throw in Ellis for that! Plus then hopefully resign spaling and go make a playoff run!!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary),Kulemin

I imagine the Oil's response to that would be "not just no, HELL no". They're really high on Klefbom.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think TML would do it either to be honest.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't think TML would do it either to be honest.
Really?
All they lose is overpaid phaneuf, plus they lose kulemin but they get bourque, oilers first (you know will be top ten lol), klefbom plus Ellis or Bartley on top of all that??

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote