HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We, and they, will know this how?

Also what factor entitles Eberle, who took much longer to break into the NHL than Gagner, automatic reward on less of a sample of results?

If anything the Eberle contract was foolish and is a setup for future demands. Who would believe he's worth as much as Hall?

This team thinks very little of the pay hierarchy it awards in some instances while in others its obstinate. Oddly enough with the player, Gagner, who was singled out all season as the model student, the guy that came to the season most prepared, the guy that others should look to for inspiration and commitment. You know, the guy they're letting twist in the wind. Again.

Why?
Eberle had 34 goals and 76 points in his 2nd season while Gagner has a career high of 49 points over the course of 6 pro seasons.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
34 goal, 76 point sophomore season. Led team in scoring 2 years in a row.
He had the one outlier season. In the other you're quoting he led Gagner by one point afairc.

A lot of his offense in his big year was attributable to linemates, specific use, offensive zone starts. PP, etc. Getting every plum assignment the club could give him. Not sure why they do that anyway in years when we're not going anywhere as a club and that are clear rebuild years. In the great Lowe tradition we built Eberles stack of cards in that year so that we subsequently overpay him. Horcoff and Hemsky mistake revisited.

Kid has a finish around the net, no doubt about that. But kid is also one dimensional, chronically has astronomical GA while playing with the best players on the team the org can give him.

This is a limited, not rounded player, that only has one specific role, is a winger, not a center, does not play pk, or any other duty and we're paying him an automatic 6M/ longterm. The same as Hall.

That was a shortsighted Tambo contract.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:38 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
I believe that Bozak has said he signed before he became a free agent. He never heard an offer from another team.

He signed after the 2 day period though so he must have been a ufa? I can't find the quote.
I think it still counts as a UFA contract.

07-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Eberle had 34 goals and 76 points in his 2nd season while Gagner has a career high of 49 points over the course of 6 pro seasons.
Gagner will finish with more career NHL pts as I've been stating for years. I'd take that bet with anybody.

Gagner will be a better, more rounded player and already is.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This.

Gagner should understand if he wants 5.5+ per season he needs to break at least 60-65 points. Eberle got there and was looking like a true star in the making, he was producing at near PPG pace. He deserved his contract. Some might argue he doesn't now but almost all Oilers had an off year last year. I'll reserve judgment till next season on Eberle.

Yeah, Sams been a good role model but that doesn't get you 6 million per season. Results do.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
This.

Gagner should understand if he wants 5.5+ per season he needs to break at least 60-65 points. Eberle got there and was looking like a true star in the making, he was producing at near PPG pace. He deserved his contract. Some might argue he doesn't now but almost all Oilers had an off year last year. I'll reserve judgment till next season on Eberle.

Yeah, Sams been a good role model but that doesn't get you 6 million per season. Results do.
Gagner had 28pts in 28games this year. Finished with 38pts in the 48GP this season.

Only thing that separated him from the 60pt season you're stating is this being a lockout year.

Lets keep in mind its a whole lot more impressive getting to this rate of production on a second line then it is on a first. Surely you aware of that distinction.

ASk yourself how many pts Eberle would have playing with scrubs like MPS or Omark. Or how much he'd even be in the offensive zone. Not a lot.

Soon as Gagner has somebody like Yak to work with his rate of production shoots up. Who knew?

Eberle has been playing with two number one picks in the world on either side. Yeah, production is going to occur.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:56 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
He had the one outlier season. In the other you're quoting he led Gagner by one point afairc.

A lot of his offense in his big year was attributable to linemates, specific use, offensive zone starts. PP, etc. Getting every plum assignment the club could give him. Not sure why they do that anyway in years when we're not going anywhere as a club and that are clear rebuild years. In the great Lowe tradition we built Eberles stack of cards in that year so that we subsequently overpay him. Horcoff and Hemsky mistake revisited.

Kid has a finish around the net, no doubt about that. But kid is also one dimensional, chronically has astronomical GA while playing with the best players on the team the org can give him.

This is a limited, not rounded player, that only has one specific role, is a winger, not a center, does not play pk, or any other duty and we're paying him an automatic 6M/ longterm. The same as Hall.

That was a shortsighted Tambo contract.
This is ridiculous. You couldn't be any more wrong.

Gagner has a worse GF On/60, worse GA On/60, worse SF On/60 and a worse SA On/60.

Don't give me that BS line mates crap.

Eberle has shown he's more important to the team than Gagner by a fair margin, last year it got close but still Gags isn't there yet.

The only reason Gagner's still around is because he plays center.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Gagner had 28pts in 28games this year. Finished with 38pts in the 48GP this season.

Only thing that separated him from the 60pt season you're stating is this being a lockout year.

Lets keep in mind its a whole lot more impressive getting to this rate of production on a second line then it is on a first. Surely you aware of that distinction.

ASk yourself how many pts Eberle would have playing with scrubs like MPS or Omark. Or how much he'd even be in the offensive zone. Not a lot.

Soon as Gagner has somebody like Yak to work with his rate of production shoots up. Who knew?

Eberle has been playing with two number one picks in the world on either side. Yeah, production is going to occur.
You can't honestly think Eberle is being "carried" by RNH and Hall can you?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
#ualberta

Do we know a date as to when they'll go to arbitration?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
shogun99

So Gagner had 28 points in 28 games this year, then followed that up with 10 points in the next 20 games. We've seen it every season when Gagner gets hot for 15-20 games but the rest of the time he's scoring at a 0.4ppg clip. In my opinion Gagner is not at the level of Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Yakupov. He's more at the Perron level. I'm thinking Gagner wants 5.5 per season when the max he should get is 5. Regardless of our C depth if he wants anything over 5 then ship him out.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Why reduce it to simplest terms? I would say his point total is elevated by playing with the two. I think thats a perfectly reasonable assumption.

The team made a choice to hide 3 of its shiny eggs in one basket. Its not always a wise choice to do that so quickly and not have players earn it.

We're at risk of raising Eberle to believe he's a high paid ppg star and 6M dollar man who doesn't have to backcheck or do much of anything else. Eberle isn't close to the imposing player Hall is.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
So Gagner had 28 points in 28 games this year, then followed that up with 10 points in the next 20 games. We've seen it every season when Gagner gets hot for 15-20 games but the rest of the time he's scoring at a 0.4ppg clip. In my opinion Gagner is not at the level of Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Yakupov. He's more at the Perron level. I'm thinking Gagner wants 5.5 per season when the max he should get is 5. Regardless of our C depth if he wants anything over 5 then ship him out.
What you fail to realize is that Eberle's "level" wouldn't be the same were it not for Hall and RNH, and that Gagner production would also be higher than it is if he was playing alongside 2 number one picks in the world all his NHL career.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
This is ridiculous. You couldn't be any more wrong.

Gagner has a worse GF On/60, worse GA On/60, worse SF On/60 and a worse SA On/60.

Don't give me that BS line mates crap.

Eberle has shown he's more important to the team than Gagner by a fair margin, last year it got close but still Gags isn't there yet.

The only reason Gagner's still around is because he plays center.
lol

No use even discussing it then..

but maybe look up 2011-12 season and zonestarts. Eberle managed to be worst on the club in GA while having 61% offensive zone starts while playing much of his time with the clubs best players. This is incomprehensibly bad GA.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old
07-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Broilers

We will loose

Gagner is not signed yet.

1. If we let him go to arbitration we need to trade him prior to the trading deadline. Return is 1st round pick and maybe a prospect.

2. If we sign him he wants both term and money. We need to overpay and we loosing money if he will not surprisingly elevate his game to the next level.

Now the whole thing seems to me situation that we will loose either player or money and we have very limited chance to have win win situation with Gagner.

Klowe and Tambo made this **** thing happen. He deserved to be fired. Klowe should have been fired too

Old
07-15-2013, 11:56 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Gagner is bad enough defensively and on the dot after six seasons that he is being moved to wing. He hasn't grown into his big boy C pants. If he wasn't scoring, he was useless. Debate over.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Scenario: Gagner unsigned, RNH not healed

Consequence: Arcobello-Gordon-Lander-Acton as opening day centers.

Health concerns: Gastronomic Distress, Ulcers, Headaches, Actively Open Tear Ducts, Self-Induced Hair Loss, Emotional Scarring

5 years/4.75 per/Limited NTC/Get it done.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:42 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
What you fail to realize is that Eberle's "level" wouldn't be the same were it not for Hall and RNH, and that Gagner production would also be higher than it is if he was playing alongside 2 number one picks in the world all his NHL career.
You can't honestly believe this? Eberle >>> Gagner, like FML has Eberle really fallen that far in Oiler fans opinions? The guy put up 76 points two years ago and was the 16th highest scorer in the league, he was 2 points out of the top ten with 3 less games then anyone else.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Does the Bailey deal have any impact on the Gagner talks?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Frustratedoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Scenario: Gagner unsigned, RNH not healed

Consequence: Arcobello-Gordon-Lander-Acton as opening day centers.

Health concerns: Gastronomic Distress, Ulcers, Headaches, Actively Open Tear Ducts, Self-Induced Hair Loss, Emotional Scarring

5 years/4.75 per/Limited NTC/Get it done.

Gagner - Arcobello - Gordon - Lander isn't any better.

I am not sure where this myth that Gagner is a #1C comes from, but it certainly isn't reality.

The only Center dpeth scenario that is going to remedy your "health concerns" is...

Nugent-Hopkins - Gagner's replacement - Gordon - and perhaps Lander. In the event NH is not back, move Ganger's replacement to #1C.

Trade Gagner already... Get it done!

Old
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I think anybody on the team is being carried by Hall, and that includes Eberle. Hall is the best player on the team, and I don't think it's that close either.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Does the Bailey deal have any impact on the Gagner talks?
Certainly. Bailey is pretty much worse in every category, has less experience and makes 3.3 a year.

Gagner is going to get 5 a year + if its a 5 year deal.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:26 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
I think anybody on the team is being carried by Hall, and that includes Eberle. Hall is the best player on the team, and I don't think it's that close either.
ita not at all and i think the gap is only going to get bigger.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
ita not at all and i think the gap is only going to get bigger.
I think it's well established that Hall = BEAST! But I also think Eberle is easily our 2nd best player right now.

Closed Thread