HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

In case anyone missed it with all the Ryan discussion, here's a shameless bump of my Ducks Open House report.

-Murray said he was "forcing the issue" on Vatanen tonight. He was also point blank asked about Lydman and said Lydman wants to come back, and he would like him and can only have so many defenseman signed, but that there might be "some other way" or some words to that effect, insinuating there may be some trade talks still in the works perhaps? Or maybe a coaching position?
- BB and BM both very high on Etem, but caution about sophomore slump, and think its unfair to expect him to be a 30-50 goal scorer as a local kid this year. BB told a story where Souray called Etem over in front of BB and told him he was exactly what a young NHL player should be. Says he's a "sponge" on the ice.
- praised Beleskey as far as being consistent. Said when he first got here he couldn't tell him "good game" because it would go to his head and he wouldn't try in practice or games afterward. This year he tried 100%, sees him as very valuable player.
- BB sees Palmieri as a 20 goal scorer, high skill but needs to bring consistency.
- their issue with Holland is his defensive play. He was so skilled his entire career that he never had to play defense because he usually had puck possession. Stated that defense =/= hitting people. Were very impressed with what he'd done at the prospect camp.
- BB considered Bonino perhaps their best faceoff guy by the end of the year, very useful player by the end of the season. Said he packed on 15 pounds of muscle last year.
- Getzlaf was so bad at faceoffs in the playoffs because of his ankle, couldn't use it properly and that's why he frequently wasn't even taking them.
- They consider having young competition at every position healthy to push people, consider it a hallmark of a good team.
- said there was a lot of very angry behind the scenes *****ing about officiating but that public comments were counterproductive (were directly asked about why no public comments).
- Scotty's number is getting retired, Dan Wood STRONGLY implied it.
- Immediately afterward he made a comment about how much Paul Kariya meant to the franchise regardless of how he left, got pretty good applause. Take that how you will, but to me it seemed like a feeling out for the same reason.
- BB talked about what a value Koivu was to the team even outside of his play, captain in Montreal for 10 years and a huge role model for all the young kids bringing it 100% every practice and game as well as never backing down from anyone.
- Rakell and Holland were having "a battle" at prospect camp, they seemed happy about it.
- discussed how their strategy at the draft is to identify a player and if that player is gone before their pick they try to trade down. Did it with Noesen. (Not really news to many)
- talked about the Bobby trade, talked about how the line hadn't had good chemistry since the 2009 Sharks series, how he was always going to be behind Perry, and how they wouldn't have been able to afford him next contract. 1st round eliminations 2/3 years were the nail in the coffin for needing to change something. Feel that Silfverberg is a complete player who started coming into his own in the playoffs, they had started scouting him when they were looking at Fasth.
- BB said we also have Ottawa 1st so we should root for them to lose a lot. BM did a
- BM is very strongly pro-fighting. Not staged fights, but legitimate fights. Another big cheer.
- no more visor instigator.
- there was a movement to end a fight if a helmet came off. BM was openly disgusted at the thought.
- season ticket holders can reserve twice as many seats for the outdoor game as they have. Will have an exclusive window to buy them at the end of the month (I THINK he said like 7/28-8/5 but don't quote me on that)
- They hired the person who designed the food/amenities for the staples center and the new Brooklyn arena. And some celebrity chef. Have trained the food people on how to serve better so you can get back to your seat faster.
- Wolfgang Puck will have a restaurant in the new area, new store is about triple the size of the current one.
- both felt players have always worn visors their entire career and didn't understand why they'd stop.
- Nobody asked about a 2C but they were pretty high on the three getting playing time. I think that it's Bonino at the 2C based on BB comments.
- The Lydman thing was just a vague comment he kinda muttered/stumbled out at the very end, but it wasn't a definitive "no".
- Oh yeah, they have no idea on Selanne. BM didn't bother him because of his agenct's death, Teemu was up in Winnipeg for it. He will try to touch base next week. They feel Selanne has to really WANT to come back so he's not asking/begging because it wouldn't be fair to Teemu's career if he wasn't into it. Commented on how Detroit shut him down but he wasn't the only person they shut down.
- Also they were impressed how the crowd made noise back FINALLY this year against Detroit. BB said he'd like to hear even more against Detroit Vancouver and Chicago.
- Penner's name never came up.
- and they're putting in a 4G tower in the Ponda. The goal is to make it possible for everyone to get a signal.
- Also (this is cool) they are working on having the Ducks app play instantly available replays and highlights.
- they were big on Lovejoy and BM thinks he hasn't reached his ceiling, needs to still calm down a little. Have liked him since his first year in the AHL.
- Gibson is going to the AHL. BM says "he's 19, and he's a goalie, he's going to be developed right".
- They said there were multiple conversations about the officiating during the season, that some were very angry, and that they weren't the only team with that sort of concerns.
- BM was not on the side of stopping the fights. He sort of rolled his eyes at the idea.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Don't hate. That was more interesting than 90% of the posts in that thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
And I thought Sojourn made horrible puns....
Maybe, but is your favorite day in the year the last Friday of April?

(Arrr-bor day)

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Don't hate. That was more interesting than 90% of the posts in that thread!

Maybe, but is your favorite day in the year the last Friday of April?

(Arrr-bor day)
Most piratical disease?

(SarrrrrS)

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Most piratical disease?

(SarrrrrS)
Swashbuckling U?

Harrrrvard

Going back to the open house comments... BM made old-school and pro-fighting comments. Did Boudreau comment or nod or anything? Because I've generally felt that hitting and fighting seemed like less of a priority to BB than to BM (who at least makes comments that he likes it or that he needs to toughen the team up).

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

He didn't really comment or have much body language positive or negative. I didn't get a read on him at all.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
He didn't really comment or have much body language positive or negative. I didn't get a read on him at all.
He has sort of an idiot's blank face, except when he's talking or in an animated conversation. I think he has a low idle.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
DaDucks

Lol thread title...
discussion for "new fans" would have been good too.

Last edited by DaDucks: 07-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.
DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Hockey Duckie

Ducks DVM, thanks for the open house report. Quite informative.

I have a question about Gibson being in the AHL, with Bobkov and Andersen already there and we still have two starting goalies in the NHL, then who goes?

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:31 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Ducks DVM, thanks for the open house report. Quite informative.

I have a question about Gibson being in the AHL, with Bobkov and Andersen already there and we still have two starting goalies in the NHL, then who goes?
I can't imagine Bobkov is in their long term plans. I imagine he'll start in the ECHL if he isn't traded by then.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:20 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I can't imagine Bobkov is in their long term plans. I imagine he'll start in the ECHL if he isn't traded by then.
Yeah, probably. He has upside, but he doesn't fit in our plans at all. Maybe we can get the rights to a young goalie or a young prospect.

duxfan8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Bobkov won't go anywhere with so much uncertainy with Hiller. Unless they've made up their mind to keep him all season, which I don't think they have. They will keep bob in echl in case Andersen has to come up.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
We aren't trading Bobkov. We will still need him long term. You are counting your chickens before they hatch. Just remember how ECHL Quick and NHL-bound Bernier worked out.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

reading between the lines, i think Vatanen and his agent are telling the GM if he isn't on the ducks he'll go back to finland or the KHL...hence why Lydman is in limbo unless Souray or Allen are traded. kind of discouraging they're not really in the market for veteran help when Murray told everyone if he was going to shakeup the team it would be for the present and future...at this time, we are definitely worse than we were last season

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
reading between the lines, i think Vatanen and his agent are telling the GM if he isn't on the ducks he'll go back to finland or the KHL...hence why Lydman is in limbo unless Souray or Allen are traded. kind of discouraging they're not really in the market for veteran help when Murray told everyone if he was going to shakeup the team it would be for the present and future...at this time, we are definitely worse than we were last season
Meh if you take into account the progression our kids should have we might be alright, no one knows.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Or they think quite highly of Vatanen and don't want to block his path anymore than they have to. It's not unfathomable, Vatanen is a dynamic prospect.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Sami is still under contract through next year. He's not going to burn bridges by making threats now when in a year he can negotiate with everybody.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:00 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Sami is still under contract through next year. He's not going to burn bridges by making threats now when in a year he can negotiate with everybody.
What do you mean everybody... He's an rfa after the contract isn't he

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

He would be a real force in KHL.

Obviously, i want to see him with Ducks/Norfolk. But if anything, come to Riga, Sami

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Paul4587

Looking at it from Sami's point of view - I'd much rather play in my home country for more money than get $70K to ride the bus in the AHL. If he is forcing Murray's hand it is understandable. This is all based off speculation though who know if Sami or his agent said anything. He's ready for a sheltered role in the NHL IMO.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:33 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
I don't see it why Vatanen and his agent would threaten to leave for Finland or KHL. Vatanen has nothing left to prove in Finland and he wants to play in NHL so going to KHL isn't a smart more.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

So Mat Clark is apparently resigned for 1 year at $550k. I'll be surprised if he sees NHL-time.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
So Mat Clark is apparently resigned for 1 year at $550k. I'll be surprised if he sees NHL-time.
Only one year imo means he have to really show something next year. We won`t keep all of Clark/Warg/O`Brien/Lind who all look like the same type of players.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
What do you mean everybody... He's an rfa after the contract isn't he
Yes, but as an rfa he can still negotiate with the KHL or a Finn team as well as the Ducks. Just saying he won't piss anybody off now when he has those options at the ens of next year.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We aren't trading Bobkov. We will still need him long term. You are counting your chickens before they hatch. Just remember how ECHL Quick and NHL-bound Bernier worked out.
There are four goalies ahead of him and he hasn't shown he has what it takes to jump over any of them. Gibson is the future and Andersen should at least be a backup for this team by either the end of this year or the start of next year. Bobkov's value will never be higher and we should make the best of it. It's okay to trade good prospects when you have better ones ahead of them. Most goalies that are drafted, especially by this team, never make it to the NHL so it's good to trade them as to not completely waste an asset.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I don't care if we do or don't keep Bobkov, but he has no value.