HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Roster Discussion II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
  #476
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan
 
gtwyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: los angeles, ca
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
Brown-kopi-Williams
Frattin-Richards-carter
Clifford-stoll-toffoli
King-Lewis-Nolan

DD-RR
SV-WM
AM/JM-MG

JQ
BS!

I'm sure well have fun with scrivens' initials next year

gtwyc is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
  #477
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan
 
gtwyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: los angeles, ca
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
Anyone else get the feeling that DS won't split up stoll and Lewis? They are two of our best tight-checking forwards. If he keeps them together. Then I say put toffoli as 2LW and frattin as 3LW and cliffy to the fourth line

gtwyc is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:31 AM
  #478
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that DS won't split up stoll and Lewis? They are two of our best tight-checking forwards. If he keeps them together. Then I say put toffoli as 2LW and frattin as 3LW and cliffy to the fourth line
There's been mild talk of Toffoli trying out LW but we can't count on him adjusting and playing the position well. But if he did, I figure these would be the lines:

Brown-Kopi-Williams
TT-Richards-Carter
Frattin-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
King

CNS is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:32 AM
  #479
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that DS won't split up stoll and Lewis? They are two of our best tight-checking forwards. If he keeps them together. Then I say put toffoli as 2LW and frattin as 3LW and cliffy to the fourth line
I get that feeling too, I just hope it is my paranoia kicking in. I know never say never and I know we have been working TT out at LW I just don't believe that every player can be converted or that converting every player from one position to another works out every time.

I mean we had Boyle play D and it dang near ruined him. It certainly changed his developmental arc for a couple of seasons. There are other examples both good and bad but to me it still stands that not everyone is capable of playing their off wing with great success.

Having followed TT very closely especially so while he was a 67 I will be very shocked if he is capable of being as exceptionally talented at LW as he has been at RW for his career.

etherialone is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:01 AM
  #480
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
People need to get it out of there head that switching wings is very hard.

If anyone can try left wing it's carter

KingKopitar11* is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:04 AM
  #481
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Muzzin and Nolan for Read
Fraser for a pick


CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Matt Frattin ($0.488m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.850m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.400m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Alec Martinez ($1.100m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.735m) / Jeff Schultz ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,556,894; BONUSES: $245,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $988,106



But in all seriousness...none of this is happening....pretty sure Martinez gets moved for a pick or prospect though.

Cook24 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:18 AM
  #482
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
People need to get it out of there head that switching wings is very hard.

If anyone can try left wing it's carter
It's not beer league. There's a ton of x's and o's, including ice vision and comfort/familiarity. Some can do it, some can't. But why reduce a player's effectiveness if you can help it?

Brad Doty is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:25 AM
  #483
HolyShot*
Sniper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Muzzin and Nolan for Read
Fraser for a pick


CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Matt Frattin ($0.488m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.850m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.400m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Alec Martinez ($1.100m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.735m) / Jeff Schultz ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,556,894; BONUSES: $245,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $988,106



But in all seriousness...none of this is happening....pretty sure Martinez gets moved for a pick or prospect though.
That 2nd line would get torn to shreds. You need a physical or big player with richards and carter or else they're gonna be getting run all night, especially in the western conference. I see it shaking out with frattin on the second line, possibly being swapped with brown. Then toffoli on the 3rd (where he will not be utilized) along with stoll and king/clifford or even brown.

I see the kings struggling to score again this season prompting lines with toffoli seeing top line minutes as well as carter.

I really do think we got good line possibilities and that sutter will figure it out eventually. He seems pretty slow when it comes to forming lines that gel.

HolyShot* is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 03:49 AM
  #484
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
People need to get it out of there head that switching wings is very hard.

If anyone can try left wing it's carter

That's why Justin Williams has played RW like his entire Career.

damacles1156 is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 AM
  #485
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
It's not beer league. There's a ton of x's and o's, including ice vision and comfort/familiarity. Some can do it, some can't. But why reduce a player's effectiveness if you can help it?
I feel that Toffoli is too new in his nhl career to switch wings, he's not speedy and he's not shifty like carter

Most of carter's goals are from the left and he has great speed which I feel makes transitioning easier because of the more space. Plus he's a big body veteran that's fast and elite.

Toffoli is just a sniper and he's a rookie.

I don't want neither carter or Toffoli to switch wings. But if one of them really had to, I would choose carter because I think he would have an easier transition than Toffoli.

KingKopitar11* is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 07:44 AM
  #486
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
I don't want neither carter or Toffoli to switch wings. But if one of them really had to, I would choose carter because I think he would have an easier transition than Toffoli.
Neither should be forced to shift. IF Toffoli is a natural right wing sniper , why force him to fit on LW? Put him on the first line and Brown can move down to LW or Williams.
I know Sutter mentioned in his post season remarks something to the effect of having TT work on that over the summer . Maybe they'll try him there in camp and for preseason, but I'd rather have him play where he's comfortable.
It doesn't look like there is a FA LW coming , so somebody has to play there, if Sutter doesn't want to break up the first line, give Frattin a shot maybe.

deeshamrock is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:56 AM
  #487
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
It's not beer league. There's a ton of x's and o's, including ice vision and comfort/familiarity. Some can do it, some can't. But why reduce a player's effectiveness if you can help it?
Spot on and those are just some of the things to consider. Most every player who reaches the NHL has had at least a decade of training to get there. During that time span they have developed what coaches at every level call "positional awareness" and that is what people really mean when they say that a player has good "hockey I.Q.".

I mean I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get creamed with their heads down as a result of having lost their place on the ice. Add into that the player is now approaching their game from a completely different area and you increase the chances of that happening by an even greater number.

It is why DL covets Centers more than every other position (as do most GM's). Centers learn the game from the middle of the ice and out to each wing (offencively) and as a result have an easier time moving to either wing if there isn't a spot for them up the middle.

It is why Carter can be tried at either wing, the guy is a natural center and as a result has an easier time making the swap.

It can be done but not everyone can do it.

etherialone is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:04 AM
  #488
lumbergh
Registered User
 
lumbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
I still like having three top lines that Sutter rotates through. I also like having a physical presence, a good guy along the boards, a puck distributor, and a sniper on each line. We've got three top centers, three top right wingers. The weakness is on left wing, as we well know. Here's my lineup:

Frattin-Carter-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Toffoli
Vey-Kopitar-Brown
King/Nolan-Stoll-Lewis
Scratch King/Nolan
(Trade Fraser)

Opponents would have a hard time matching up, because there are weapons on every line. If one line goes cold or gets shut down, there are two more scoring lines that can step up. The fourth line is as good as most third lines in the NHL. Every young player is matched with veterans.

On D, I really like the thought of Willie Mitchell spending a season grooming Muzzin. There's toughness and offense on every pairing.

Doughty-Regehr
Voynov-Greene
Mitchell-Muzzin
Scratch Martinez, Shultz

Quick
Scrivens

Power play:
Brown-Kopitar-Williams-Doughty-Muzzin
Carter-Richards-Toffoli-Voynov-Mitchell/Stoll

Penalty Kill:
Stoll-Lewis
Kopitar-Brown
Richards-Carter
+
Doughty-Regehr
Mitchell-Greene

This would be undoubtedly a playoff team and one of the deepest teams in the NHL. Depth is so important in the playoffs. If one guy gets injured, there's someone that can step up. Several forwards can play wing or center, so Sutter can move pieces around if need be.

lumbergh is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
  #489
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,084
vCash: 500
Even if Toffoli was a LW, Sutter will not play him there because he is too similar to Carter.

During the cup run each line had a big winger....Brown, Penner, King and Nolan.

This past year Penner, Clifford and King all rotated with Carter and Richards. They want a big body to compliment those two. I have to assume that Frattin, King or Clifford will be playing with them on the LW. Toffoli will slot at RW on the 3rd line with Stoll and possibly King. I assume then Lewis shifts down to 4th line center (in place of Fraser) or 4th line RW (in place of Nolan.)

I don't see Toffoli moving to the top line either because Williams and Kopitar have great chemistry. This is why there have been rumors regarding trading Williams. It sucks for TT but he is playing a position
the Kings are loaded at, RW.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:52 AM
  #490
Peter James Bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Even if Toffoli was a LW, Sutter will not play him there because he is too similar to Carter.

During the cup run each line had a big winger....Brown, Penner, King and Nolan.

This past year Penner, Clifford and King all rotated with Carter and Richards. They want a big body to compliment those two. I have to assume that Frattin, King or Clifford will be playing with them on the LW. Toffoli will slot at RW on the 3rd line with Stoll and possibly King. I assume then Lewis shifts down to 4th line center (in place of Fraser) or 4th line RW (in place of Nolan.)

I don't see Toffoli moving to the top line either because Williams and Kopitar have great chemistry. This is why there have been rumors regarding trading Williams. It sucks for TT but he is playing a position
the Kings are loaded at, RW.
Good post. I agree, 100%. Frattin and Toffoli are 2 players that can score goals that were not on the team last year. (TT only played a handful of games) Between the 2 of them, they may add about 10-20 goals more than their predecessors had. (Penner, King, Richardson, etc) It will not matter if one plays 2nd line and other on 3rd line. I think Frattin should be the 2nd line LW, as he has experience there and is bigger than TT and has more speed and hits. DL spoke highly of Frattin in the Tor-Bos series in that he got in Chara's face a few times, or stood up to him. (something like that)

TT has worked hard on his skating and defensive play and should play his RW that he is accustomed to. It's difficult enough to break in the NHL at 21 and he shouldn't also have to play a new position.
If he truly starts on 3rd line and starts scoring goals, what's the problem? The Kings can put him on the PP as well, to let him have more offensive opportunities.

If Frattin could score 7 even strength goals in the first 10 games last season, playing with Kadri, he should be able to score a ton of goals with Richards and Carter. I think Frattin is going to surprise many here, who say he is a bottom 6 player.

Peter James Bond is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  #491
Ewan McGregor
Registered User
 
Ewan McGregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
I don't like the idea of Frattin on the 2nd line right off the bat.

Ewan McGregor is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
  #492
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Good post. I agree, 100%. Frattin and Toffoli are 2 players that can score goals that were not on the team last year. (TT only played a handful of games) Between the 2 of them, they may add about 10-20 goals more than their predecessors had. (Penner, King, Richardson, etc) It will not matter if one plays 2nd line and other on 3rd line. I think Frattin should be the 2nd line LW, as he has experience there and is bigger than TT and has more speed and hits. DL spoke highly of Frattin in the Tor-Bos series in that he got in Chara's face a few times, or stood up to him. (something like that)

TT has worked hard on his skating and defensive play and should play his RW that he is accustomed to. It's difficult enough to break in the NHL at 21 and he shouldn't also have to play a new position.
If he truly starts on 3rd line and starts scoring goals, what's the problem? The Kings can put him on the PP as well, to let him have more offensive opportunities.

If Frattin could score 7 even strength goals in the first 10 games last season, playing with Kadri, he should be able to score a ton of goals with Richards and Carter. I think Frattin is going to surprise many here, who say he is a bottom 6 player.
I agree with both of you.

I think Frattin is a perfect fit on the second line, it's not always about skill, he can skate, has adequate puck skills and should be a lot more physical then Penner.

Toffoli absolutely has to be on the third simply because that line needs offensive help. Lewis is elite on the forechecking, speed to burn but he is offensively inept. Still has the skill, glass half empty makes me think his skills have eroded but glass half full makes me think its still there, just needs the supporting cast to bring it out ie) Toffoli

First line has chemistry = leave it

Forth line wins playoffs. Look at what ours did two years ago, Boston's this year. We need improvement this year

funky is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
  #493
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 22,610
vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
I don't like the idea of Frattin on the 2nd line right off the bat.
Think of what the Kings have had their the last few seasons....
Penner
King
Parse
Gagne
Smyth

Flour Child is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
  #494
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Spot on and those are just some of the things to consider. Most every player who reaches the NHL has had at least a decade of training to get there. During that time span they have developed what coaches at every level call "positional awareness" and that is what people really mean when they say that a player has good "hockey I.Q.".

I mean I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get creamed with their heads down as a result of having lost their place on the ice. Add into that the player is now approaching their game from a completely different area and you increase the chances of that happening by an even greater number.

It is why DL covets Centers more than every other position (as do most GM's). Centers learn the game from the middle of the ice and out to each wing (offencively) and as a result have an easier time moving to either wing if there isn't a spot for them up the middle.

It is why Carter can be tried at either wing, the guy is a natural center and as a result has an easier time making the swap.

It can be done but not everyone can do it.
This is what makes a guy like Dustin Brown, who has played wing his entire career and can switch from RW to LW, and vice versa without much of a drop in his game, a valuable player.

If either Frattin or Pearson can show that they can create space for Richards and Carter, I can see one of them being on their LW. I won't be shocked to see some line juggling going on early in the season.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
  #495
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Think of what the Kings have had their the last few seasons....
Penner
King
Parse
Gagne
Smyth
I am still a little surprised gagne never worked out.
Had past chemistry with Richards and Carter, contract year, and seemed to finally be healthy.
Just didn't fit into the system.

Perro is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 01:56 PM
  #496
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 22,610
vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I am still a little surprised gagne never worked out.
Had past chemistry with Richards and Carter, contract year, and seemed to finally be healthy.
Just didn't fit into the system.
and he just has too many miles on him.

He was really good for us in early 2011 before he got hurt

Flour Child is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
  #497
KingCanadain1976
Registered User
 
KingCanadain1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 500
RT @mayornhl: Hextall leaving the Kings for Flyers? Breaking news...

KingCanadain1976 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
  #498
KingCanadain1976
Registered User
 
KingCanadain1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 500
Best of luck Ron! MT @nhlflyers: Ron Hextall is back w/ #Flyers. Named Assistant GM & Director of Hockey Ops - http://nhlflye.rs/10WX4Wf

KingCanadain1976 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  #499
Peter James Bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Ek-poo: July 15, 2013, 1:58 PM ET

Teams to watch?

I am hearing talks have heated up nicely between the Kings and Canadiens...trying to get more details in a few hours here....

Peter James Bond is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
  #500
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Ek-poo: July 15, 2013, 1:58 PM ET

Teams to watch?

I am hearing talks have heated up nicely between the Kings and Canadiens...trying to get more details in a few hours here....
Schultz for Drewiske!

CNS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.