HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Roster Discussion II

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Brown-kopi-Williams
Frattin-Richards-carter
Clifford-stoll-toffoli
King-Lewis-Nolan

DD-RR
SV-WM
AM/JM-MG

JQ
BS!

I'm sure well have fun with scrivens' initials next year

Old
07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Anyone else get the feeling that DS won't split up stoll and Lewis? They are two of our best tight-checking forwards. If he keeps them together. Then I say put toffoli as 2LW and frattin as 3LW and cliffy to the fourth line

Old
07-15-2013, 12:31 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that DS won't split up stoll and Lewis? They are two of our best tight-checking forwards. If he keeps them together. Then I say put toffoli as 2LW and frattin as 3LW and cliffy to the fourth line
There's been mild talk of Toffoli trying out LW but we can't count on him adjusting and playing the position well. But if he did, I figure these would be the lines:

Brown-Kopi-Williams
TT-Richards-Carter
Frattin-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
King

Old
07-15-2013, 12:32 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
I get that feeling too, I just hope it is my paranoia kicking in. I know never say never and I know we have been working TT out at LW I just don't believe that every player can be converted or that converting every player from one position to another works out every time.

I mean we had Boyle play D and it dang near ruined him. It certainly changed his developmental arc for a couple of seasons. There are other examples both good and bad but to me it still stands that not everyone is capable of playing their off wing with great success.

Having followed TT very closely especially so while he was a 67 I will be very shocked if he is capable of being as exceptionally talented at LW as he has been at RW for his career.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:01 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

People need to get it out of there head that switching wings is very hard.

If anyone can try left wing it's carter

Old
07-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Muzzin and Nolan for Read
Fraser for a pick

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Matt Frattin ($0.488m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.850m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.400m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Alec Martinez ($1.100m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.735m) / Jeff Schultz ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,556,894; BONUSES: $245,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $988,106

But in all seriousness...none of this is happening....pretty sure Martinez gets moved for a pick or prospect though.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post

It's not beer league. There's a ton of x's and o's, including ice vision and comfort/familiarity. Some can do it, some can't. But why reduce a player's effectiveness if you can help it?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:25 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Muzzin and Nolan for Read
Fraser for a pick

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Matt Frattin ($0.488m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.850m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.400m)
Dwight King ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Alec Martinez ($1.100m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.735m) / Jeff Schultz ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,556,894; BONUSES: $245,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $988,106

But in all seriousness...none of this is happening....pretty sure Martinez gets moved for a pick or prospect though.
That 2nd line would get torn to shreds. You need a physical or big player with richards and carter or else they're gonna be getting run all night, especially in the western conference. I see it shaking out with frattin on the second line, possibly being swapped with brown. Then toffoli on the 3rd (where he will not be utilized) along with stoll and king/clifford or even brown.

I see the kings struggling to score again this season prompting lines with toffoli seeing top line minutes as well as carter.

I really do think we got good line possibilities and that sutter will figure it out eventually. He seems pretty slow when it comes to forming lines that gel.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:49 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post

That's why Justin Williams has played RW like his entire Career.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
It's not beer league. There's a ton of x's and o's, including ice vision and comfort/familiarity. Some can do it, some can't. But why reduce a player's effectiveness if you can help it?
I feel that Toffoli is too new in his nhl career to switch wings, he's not speedy and he's not shifty like carter

Most of carter's goals are from the left and he has great speed which I feel makes transitioning easier because of the more space. Plus he's a big body veteran that's fast and elite.

Toffoli is just a sniper and he's a rookie.

I don't want neither carter or Toffoli to switch wings. But if one of them really had to, I would choose carter because I think he would have an easier transition than Toffoli.

Old
07-15-2013, 07:44 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
I don't want neither carter or Toffoli to switch wings. But if one of them really had to, I would choose carter because I think he would have an easier transition than Toffoli.
Neither should be forced to shift. IF Toffoli is a natural right wing sniper , why force him to fit on LW? Put him on the first line and Brown can move down to LW or Williams.
I know Sutter mentioned in his post season remarks something to the effect of having TT work on that over the summer . Maybe they'll try him there in camp and for preseason, but I'd rather have him play where he's comfortable.
It doesn't look like there is a FA LW coming , so somebody has to play there, if Sutter doesn't want to break up the first line, give Frattin a shot maybe.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:56 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Spot on and those are just some of the things to consider. Most every player who reaches the NHL has had at least a decade of training to get there. During that time span they have developed what coaches at every level call "positional awareness" and that is what people really mean when they say that a player has good "hockey I.Q.".

I mean I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get creamed with their heads down as a result of having lost their place on the ice. Add into that the player is now approaching their game from a completely different area and you increase the chances of that happening by an even greater number.

It is why DL covets Centers more than every other position (as do most GM's). Centers learn the game from the middle of the ice and out to each wing (offencively) and as a result have an easier time moving to either wing if there isn't a spot for them up the middle.

It is why Carter can be tried at either wing, the guy is a natural center and as a result has an easier time making the swap.

It can be done but not everyone can do it.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:04 AM
lumbergh

I still like having three top lines that Sutter rotates through. I also like having a physical presence, a good guy along the boards, a puck distributor, and a sniper on each line. We've got three top centers, three top right wingers. The weakness is on left wing, as we well know. Here's my lineup:

Frattin-Carter-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Toffoli
Vey-Kopitar-Brown
King/Nolan-Stoll-Lewis
Scratch King/Nolan
(Trade Fraser)

Opponents would have a hard time matching up, because there are weapons on every line. If one line goes cold or gets shut down, there are two more scoring lines that can step up. The fourth line is as good as most third lines in the NHL. Every young player is matched with veterans.

On D, I really like the thought of Willie Mitchell spending a season grooming Muzzin. There's toughness and offense on every pairing.

Doughty-Regehr
Voynov-Greene
Mitchell-Muzzin
Scratch Martinez, Shultz

Quick
Scrivens

Power play:
Brown-Kopitar-Williams-Doughty-Muzzin
Carter-Richards-Toffoli-Voynov-Mitchell/Stoll

Penalty Kill:
Stoll-Lewis
Kopitar-Brown
Richards-Carter
+
Doughty-Regehr
Mitchell-Greene

This would be undoubtedly a playoff team and one of the deepest teams in the NHL. Depth is so important in the playoffs. If one guy gets injured, there's someone that can step up. Several forwards can play wing or center, so Sutter can move pieces around if need be.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Johnny Utah

Even if Toffoli was a LW, Sutter will not play him there because he is too similar to Carter.

During the cup run each line had a big winger....Brown, Penner, King and Nolan.

This past year Penner, Clifford and King all rotated with Carter and Richards. They want a big body to compliment those two. I have to assume that Frattin, King or Clifford will be playing with them on the LW. Toffoli will slot at RW on the 3rd line with Stoll and possibly King. I assume then Lewis shifts down to 4th line center (in place of Fraser) or 4th line RW (in place of Nolan.)

I don't see Toffoli moving to the top line either because Williams and Kopitar have great chemistry. This is why there have been rumors regarding trading Williams. It sucks for TT but he is playing a position
the Kings are loaded at, RW.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Even if Toffoli was a LW, Sutter will not play him there because he is too similar to Carter.

During the cup run each line had a big winger....Brown, Penner, King and Nolan.

This past year Penner, Clifford and King all rotated with Carter and Richards. They want a big body to compliment those two. I have to assume that Frattin, King or Clifford will be playing with them on the LW. Toffoli will slot at RW on the 3rd line with Stoll and possibly King. I assume then Lewis shifts down to 4th line center (in place of Fraser) or 4th line RW (in place of Nolan.)

I don't see Toffoli moving to the top line either because Williams and Kopitar have great chemistry. This is why there have been rumors regarding trading Williams. It sucks for TT but he is playing a position
the Kings are loaded at, RW.
Good post. I agree, 100%. Frattin and Toffoli are 2 players that can score goals that were not on the team last year. (TT only played a handful of games) Between the 2 of them, they may add about 10-20 goals more than their predecessors had. (Penner, King, Richardson, etc) It will not matter if one plays 2nd line and other on 3rd line. I think Frattin should be the 2nd line LW, as he has experience there and is bigger than TT and has more speed and hits. DL spoke highly of Frattin in the Tor-Bos series in that he got in Chara's face a few times, or stood up to him. (something like that)

TT has worked hard on his skating and defensive play and should play his RW that he is accustomed to. It's difficult enough to break in the NHL at 21 and he shouldn't also have to play a new position.
If he truly starts on 3rd line and starts scoring goals, what's the problem? The Kings can put him on the PP as well, to let him have more offensive opportunities.

If Frattin could score 7 even strength goals in the first 10 games last season, playing with Kadri, he should be able to score a ton of goals with Richards and Carter. I think Frattin is going to surprise many here, who say he is a bottom 6 player.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Ewan McGregor

I don't like the idea of Frattin on the 2nd line right off the bat.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Good post. I agree, 100%. Frattin and Toffoli are 2 players that can score goals that were not on the team last year. (TT only played a handful of games) Between the 2 of them, they may add about 10-20 goals more than their predecessors had. (Penner, King, Richardson, etc) It will not matter if one plays 2nd line and other on 3rd line. I think Frattin should be the 2nd line LW, as he has experience there and is bigger than TT and has more speed and hits. DL spoke highly of Frattin in the Tor-Bos series in that he got in Chara's face a few times, or stood up to him. (something like that)

TT has worked hard on his skating and defensive play and should play his RW that he is accustomed to. It's difficult enough to break in the NHL at 21 and he shouldn't also have to play a new position.
If he truly starts on 3rd line and starts scoring goals, what's the problem? The Kings can put him on the PP as well, to let him have more offensive opportunities.

If Frattin could score 7 even strength goals in the first 10 games last season, playing with Kadri, he should be able to score a ton of goals with Richards and Carter. I think Frattin is going to surprise many here, who say he is a bottom 6 player.
I agree with both of you.

I think Frattin is a perfect fit on the second line, it's not always about skill, he can skate, has adequate puck skills and should be a lot more physical then Penner.

Toffoli absolutely has to be on the third simply because that line needs offensive help. Lewis is elite on the forechecking, speed to burn but he is offensively inept. Still has the skill, glass half empty makes me think his skills have eroded but glass half full makes me think its still there, just needs the supporting cast to bring it out ie) Toffoli

First line has chemistry = leave it

Forth line wins playoffs. Look at what ours did two years ago, Boston's this year. We need improvement this year

Old
07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
I don't like the idea of Frattin on the 2nd line right off the bat.
Think of what the Kings have had their the last few seasons....
Penner
King
Parse
Gagne
Smyth

Old
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Spot on and those are just some of the things to consider. Most every player who reaches the NHL has had at least a decade of training to get there. During that time span they have developed what coaches at every level call "positional awareness" and that is what people really mean when they say that a player has good "hockey I.Q.".

I mean I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get creamed with their heads down as a result of having lost their place on the ice. Add into that the player is now approaching their game from a completely different area and you increase the chances of that happening by an even greater number.

It is why DL covets Centers more than every other position (as do most GM's). Centers learn the game from the middle of the ice and out to each wing (offencively) and as a result have an easier time moving to either wing if there isn't a spot for them up the middle.

It is why Carter can be tried at either wing, the guy is a natural center and as a result has an easier time making the swap.

It can be done but not everyone can do it.
This is what makes a guy like Dustin Brown, who has played wing his entire career and can switch from RW to LW, and vice versa without much of a drop in his game, a valuable player.

If either Frattin or Pearson can show that they can create space for Richards and Carter, I can see one of them being on their LW. I won't be shocked to see some line juggling going on early in the season.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Think of what the Kings have had their the last few seasons....
Penner
King
Parse
Gagne
Smyth
I am still a little surprised gagne never worked out.
Had past chemistry with Richards and Carter, contract year, and seemed to finally be healthy.
Just didn't fit into the system.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I am still a little surprised gagne never worked out.
Had past chemistry with Richards and Carter, contract year, and seemed to finally be healthy.
Just didn't fit into the system.
and he just has too many miles on him.

He was really good for us in early 2011 before he got hurt

Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
KingCanadain1976

RT @mayornhl: Hextall leaving the Kings for Flyers? Breaking news...

Old
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
KingCanadain1976

Best of luck Ron! MT @nhlflyers: Ron Hextall is back w/ #Flyers. Named Assistant GM & Director of Hockey Ops - http://nhlflye.rs/10WX4Wf

Old
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Peter James Bond

Ek-poo: July 15, 2013, 1:58 PM ET

Teams to watch?

I am hearing talks have heated up nicely between the Kings and Canadiens...trying to get more details in a few hours here....

Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Ek-poo: July 15, 2013, 1:58 PM ET

Teams to watch?

I am hearing talks have heated up nicely between the Kings and Canadiens...trying to get more details in a few hours here....
Schultz for Drewiske!

Closed Thread