HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

Old
07-09-2013, 04:53 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
The OP's article had the figures a bit high from my experience. I paid around 35K for 13 years of my son's playing "career".

It was the equivalent of roughly one new car over that time frame, easy trade off for me.

I would not trade a minute of the time spent with my only son, nor the bond we developed around the game we both love. He came home from games/practices happy, tired from working hard and made life long friends with good kids of the same background.

Best "investment" I could have ever made!
couldnt agree more with this assessment.

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Canadiens1958

Arenas and Foundations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya it wasnt always like that though, as in "back in the day", the 20's right through the 60's. When I started in house league as a forward early 60's, cost was absolutely minimal, the goalie supplied with equipment, shared amongst the teams. Then when I took up playing net, you could buy new pads, gloves, goalie skates etc for about $200 all-in, less if you did the exchanges, buying used. Cooper was the leading manufacturer at that time, GP pads from Jr-Sr ranging from like $50-$300; blockers & trappers, GM3-12, full range, maybe $40 for the set to $200 by the early 70's. Plante Fibrosport mask $30, or if you went custom, $125, Plante or say Harrison. If you were elite or played on a school team, the teams had deals with retailers or direct from the manufacturers, wholesale prices, some of it free, supplied along with jerseys, pants, socks, gloves & helmets. It was within reach of everyone really. Registration fee's including practices minimal. Boys Clubs in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg etc. Store-rooms full of gear used year in year out by those who couldnt afford even skates. Really kind of sad to see whats happened through the late 70's on. Now youve pretty much gotta be upper middle class to even entertain the notion of putting your kids in hockey.
Major difference between the USA and Canada is the cost of renting arena ice. In the USA the vast majority of arenas are privately owned, while in Canada they are publicly owned - mainly municipal.
The difference in the hourly rate will surprise people especially when the "real cost" after subsidies, sponsorship arrangements are factored in. Basically comes down to political clout.

In most Canadian hockey jurisdictions there are foundations, community groups - Optimist, Kiwanis, etc that get involved so it is very rare that a youngster will be refused. Exceptions would be youngsters with parents who feel they are entitled to a "free ride".

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:08 PM
epo

Hockey as an adult alone makes hockey as a kid worth it. I know you can pick up hockey as an adult, and that it wasn't my money spent playing hockey.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
NorthernILHawksFan

The thing is, these days, a lot of sports are expensive if you want to be serious.

I work as a sports writer, and part of my duty is covering high school sports. All the good volleyball players play club and go to all these camps...certainly not cheap. There's also travel baseball and softball leagues for high school players. One of the softball coaches I know said a few of his girls just got finished with a tournament in Colorado.

Certainly, hockey is an expensive sport to play if you're serious about it. But it's getting like that for all sports these days.

NorthernILHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
The thing is, these days, a lot of sports are expensive if you want to be serious.

I work as a sports writer, and part of my duty is covering high school sports. All the good volleyball players play club and go to all these camps...certainly not cheap. There's also travel baseball and softball leagues for high school players. One of the softball coaches I know said a few of his girls just got finished with a tournament in Colorado.

Certainly, hockey is an expensive sport to play if you're serious about it. But it's getting like that for all sports these days.
I tend to agree, I guess the only thing difference between Hockey and other sports is Rink rental and equipment costs.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Don't buy your kid who probably can't even lift the puck well a 200$ stick LOL or $200 on skates when you can buy for $80. If you wanna be that dumb in your spending go for it, not my problem I spend maybe $700 a year to play like 50 games of ice hockey in both a summer and winter and most of that is basically ice time.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Major difference between the USA and Canada is the cost of renting arena ice. In the USA the vast majority of arenas are privately owned, while in Canada they are publicly owned - mainly municipal.
The difference in the hourly rate will surprise people especially when the "real cost" after subsidies, sponsorship arrangements are factored in. Basically comes down to political clout.
Considering how much more taxes I pay here in Canada compared to any American, I better get something out of it like subsidized rinks.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
In most Canadian hockey jurisdictions there are foundations, community groups - Optimist, Kiwanis, etc that get involved so it is very rare that a youngster will be refused. Exceptions would be youngsters with parents who feel they are entitled to a "free ride".
Yes it really is a matter of priorities. The US as much dotted with baseball parks, football fields, hoops setup's which in many cases replicate, similar to what you'll find with hockey in Canada, just different sports. As for "free riders", ya, sure enough. You'll get that with with parents who think Little Bobby is entitled to the full free-ride because he's just so gosh darn talented, while at the other end of the spectrum and rare, some at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder, professional welfare cases demanding same.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:40 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I have voiced my opinion on the costs of hockey plenty before, but I was wondering if anyone knows if generation talents have gotten much of their ride free?

Gretzky, Ovie, Crosby, etc.

I was wondering what people's experiences are with girl's hockey? I have a 1 1/2 year old girl and I want to introduce her to hockey soon (skating first) , but I don't think I can do it financially.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:38 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'd hate to see the goalie prices. Wow.
I would say about double. A good set of pads will run you at least a grand.

I'm so incredibly grateful my parents were able to pay for all my registration fees, gear, traveling costs, etc.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Don't buy your kid who probably can't even lift the puck well a 200$ stick LOL or $200 on skates when you can buy for $80. If you wanna be that dumb in your spending go for it, not my problem I spend maybe $700 a year to play like 50 games of ice hockey in both a summer and winter and most of that is basically ice time.
Kids stopped using 200 dollar graphite sticks once a couple of guys started going around giving two handed stick to stick slashes. Wood always came out the winner.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post

I'm so incredibly grateful my parents were able to pay for all my registration fees, gear, traveling costs, etc.
When I played the team bought and maintained the goalie equipment. Similar to the team supplying catchers equipment in baseball. You were always welcome to supply you own however. Never forgot the look on the kids face when he showed in his own new expensive goalie equipment expecting to be the team goalie. Long story short, it didn't work out the way he thougt

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Me too. I can't even guess how much it cost for me to play fro age 6-18, and on multiple teams for 7 of them. Then driving all over for tournaments.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Far more than double. It could honestly be 3-4 times the amount.

Take into account that kids have growth spurts, I've seen kids go through 2+ sets of pads in a single year.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
When I played the team bought and maintained the goalie equipment.
Yep. Ditto with some of though not all of the House & Church level leagues, same thing with the private schools throughout Toronto. UTS, Neil McNeil etc. Goalie equipment generally supplied, all team members supplied with a jersey but beyond that not much else. If you played in the SHL, NYHL, EHL or THL/MTHL or as its now called the GTHL depending on the level, A, AA or AAA, at minimum socks & jerseys, maximum everything including socks, jerseys, pants, helmets & gloves, and in a lot of cases wholesale rates on skates & sticks. Goaltending equipment same, however, not unusual for AAA organizations to offer that as a perk to any kid with serious talent in order to get him to sign at the AAA level (or back in the day AA as it was called, A & B not nearly as generous with the full gear set-ups').

Old
07-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Im a 17 year old who has played for about 10 years and I personally know of some ways to save money.

1st - I only ever went to 1 hockey camp

2nd - Get 2nd hand equipment until you aren't growing as much/get serious about the sport

3rd - If you aren't going to play pros, play house league. That right there cuts the costs in half

4th - The only equipment I regularly updated was my stick. Other than that Skates and Helmet were the only others I ever got new. Everything else just seemed to work for a while, and I always liked my equipment worked in

But ya, I understand the sport if the upper class sport.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Canadiens1958

2013-14 Base Costs - Registration CJL, Montreal

The following is an overview of the basic registration costs and benefits for a youngster, in a mainly middle class district of Montreal to play hockey this season.

Comite des Jeunes de la Louisiane, association established 43 years ago. Single letter.

COSTS

Intro (born between Jan 1, 2009 and Dec 31,2011) $140.00
Pre Novice (born between Jan 1, 2007 and Dec 31,2008) $150.00
Novice (born between Jan 1, 2005 and Dec 31,2006) $160.00
Atom (born between Jan 1, 2003 and Dec 31,2004) $170.00
Pee Wee (born between Jan 1, 2001 and Dec 31,2003) $175.00
Bantam (born between Jan 1, 1999 and Dec 31,2001) $190.00
Midget (born between Jan 1, 1997 and Dec 31,1998) $200.00

Benefits - each youngster gets - loan of hockey pants under certain conditions, goalie equipment is provided, end of season trophies. Each team gets to participate in two Hockey Quebec tournaments. Teams are encouraged to fundraise to participate in two more tournaments to reach the HQ cap of four.

At registration each youngster has to have a minimum of half of the registration fee.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:56 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob8hockey View Post
Im a 17 year old who has played for about 10 years and I personally know of some ways to save money.

1st - I only ever went to 1 hockey camp

2nd - Get 2nd hand equipment until you aren't growing as much/get serious about the sport

3rd - If you aren't going to play pros, play house league. That right there cuts the costs in half

4th - The only equipment I regularly updated was my stick. Other than that Skates and Helmet were the only others I ever got new. Everything else just seemed to work for a while, and I always liked my equipment worked in

But ya, I understand the sport if the upper class sport.

The bolded part I agree with so much. Too many organizations pushing ambitious parents that Johhny must play in this league to develop to his full potential.

I post on another message board for goalies where a prominent goalie coach posts. I've heard him said many times that unless your playing in the most obscure league, you will be noticed for your talents.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
At registration...
Thats cheap like borscht. Great deal! What do they get? 1 practice and
1 or 2 games per week from October/November to the end of February?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Canadiens1958

More

Quote:
Thats cheap like borscht. Great deal! What do they get? 1 practice and
1 or 2 games per week from October/November to the end of February?
September skating/evaluations, games and practices as described into mid April depending on the success of the team plus tournament participation. Throw in a Christmas activity. Discounts on equipment, sharpenings,etc.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The bolded part I agree with so much. Too many organizations pushing ambitious parents that Johhny must play in this league to develop to his full potential.

I post on another message board for goalies where a prominent goalie coach posts. I've heard him said many times that unless your playing in the most obscure league, you will be noticed for your talents.
I admit that it doesn't help when one reads/hears stories about coaches benching players and telling parents they need to get their kid to hockey camp, ect, otherwise they won't play.

I think sometimes a number of these coaches also have to get of their seeming daydream that they're going to be picked up by an NHL team.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
September skating/evaluations, games and practices as described into mid April depending on the success of the team plus tournament participation. Throw in a Christmas activity. Discounts on equipment, sharpenings,etc.
Cool, and a longer season than Id thought. What would the costs be at the AA & AAA levels in Montreal?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Canadiens1958

Double Letters

Quote:
Cool, and a longer season than Id thought. What would the costs be at the AA & AAA levels in Montreal?
Double letters, where offered and applicable. CJL does not offer double letters but players can tryout for CDJR, adjacent/overlapping association, share an arena. Compared to associations with double letters CC multiply by app 1.8-2.0. double BB/AA multiply by app. 2.75 -3.00. Double letters tend to start 4-6 weeks earlier, more ice time per week. More team travel.You may have to factor in schooling

Triple AAA, Montreal overlaps with Laval, schooling factors kick in. Hard to compare provincially as well since in certain regions billeting is a factor. AAA receives many sponsorship benefits.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
AAA receives many sponsorship benefits.
Yes it certainly appears to in Quebec, particularly so with its Midget AAA League. Really pretty impressive line-up of sponsors.