HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Emery brought his own numbers down because of his hip issues, though. He tried to play through them for a while. When he was still healthy he was pretty damned good, and he was good in front of a team that was slowly collapsing under Stevens.
Oh I wasn't dissing Emery. Was just surprised to see the actual stats from that season for those two. I'm quite happy he's back and was calling for it even before Bryz was let go.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Just caught a snippet of a news report, but it sounds like Brian Boucher has signed with a Swiss club.

Edit: apparently this happened a couple days ago.

07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if they were a higher seed who knows what happens. its all about matchups and things fell pretty well for the Flyers that playoff run.
Agree, and I tried to allude to that. The match-up against NJ was a very good one, working toward the sudden lock-down D strength. Second round was, of course, the historic comeback against Boston, and I wouldn't trade that in for anything (besides the Cup). The Flyers met the Canadiens at the best possible time: they had expended their playoff legs and pixie dust on knocking out Pittsburgh and Washington, and had nothing left against the Flyers. It's a shame San Jose couldn't have made a better series out of their round with the Hawks, and worn them down a bit more.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Just caught a snippet of a news report, but it sounds like Brian Boucher has signed with a Swiss club.

Edit: apparently this happened a couple days ago.
Yea, Saturday called.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?...80ALNQDKIUG97F
Quote:
Tim Leiweke, the new chief of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., is so confident the Toronto Maple Leafs will soon end a 46-year Stanley Cup drought that he’s mapped a victory-parade route for the hockey team.

“I have it planned out and it’s going to be fantastic,” Leiweke said today in his first interview since taking over the Toronto-based sports group, which owns the city’s National Hockey League franchise, as well as the Raptors basketball team and Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. While employees at MLSE were a little shocked he mentioned winning the Stanley Cup so soon after starting the job on June 3, Leiweke said the company has to focus on results.

“If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward,” he said he told them.

Leiweke joined Maple Leaf Sports from Anschutz Entertainment Group, owned by Denver billionaire Phil Anschutz, which controls MLS’s Galaxy club and the Los Angeles Kings hockey team and is part-owner of the LA Lakers basketball franchise. In his 13 years with AEG, the Lakers and Galaxy each won four league titles and the Kings clinched one Stanley Cup.

The challenge of moving from that winning environment to loss-prone Toronto appealed to Leiweke.

Wither Raptors

“If the teams were doing well, I wouldn’t have come,” Leiweke, 56, said in Bloomberg’s Toronto office. “What intrigued me the most is the opportunity to have an organization here that can aspire to be much more successful and a greater brand than it currently is.”

The National Basketball Association’s Toronto Raptors haven’t made the playoffs since 2008 while Toronto FC has never had a winning season or qualified for the playoffs since their inception in 2007. The Maple Leafs made the playoffs for the first time since 2004 this year, only to fail to make it past the first round after giving up a three-goal lead to the Boston Bruins in the third period of game seven.

Leiweke, who stresses the importance of patience as a means to building long-term success, saw upside in that stinging loss, calling it “the best thing that could have happened to” the Leafs.
Well it was fun while it lasted, let's just call it a season now.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

This is likely gonna be embarrassing for him in 11 months

07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is likely gonna be embarrassing for him in 11 months
Especially since they've had one playoff appearance in the last decade. Somebody needs to Roenick them again.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:

Yeah David Clarkson really puts them over the top...

Old
07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:

This is exactly why they are called the Laffs.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Absolutely crazy a habs fan trying to say Diaz would be our best puck moving dman. Even brick head Coburn is better, he just doesn't know what to do with it when he moves it. Coburn is a good outlet passer though, just don't ask him to carry the defensive responsibilities of the pairing

Old
07-16-2013, 06:43 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

Really?

Also, funny.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:41 AM
BernieParent

Quote:

Oh, to be a tinfoil salesman in Toronto. It would be like a license to print money!

Old
07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Absolutely crazy a habs fan trying to say Diaz would be our best puck moving dman. Even brick head Coburn is better, he just doesn't know what to do with it when he moves it. Coburn is a good outlet passer though, just don't ask him to carry the defensive responsibilities of the pairing
Coburn should avoid touching pucks. I'd easily take that one skill of Diaz's over Coburn. He's a vastly inferior overall player because he's not better enough offensively to overcome the monumental difference in size, strength and overall defensive prowess, but he's definitely the better puck mover. Coburn is incredibly easy to tie up in his own end when paired with another guy that can't effectively carry, pass or is a viable homerun pass threat.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:58 AM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
anyone watching game 1 vs buffalo from 06 on nhl network right now??

esche is standing on his friggin head...unreal (ive always said he was ever that bad...dont remember this kind of performance though ha)

....oh and sweet jesus do i miss "forsberg to gagne"
Yeah, I think Esche got the shaft when they picked up Biron in the season which shall not be named. Somone had to go with the three man rotation of Nitty, Esche, and Biron . The defense was atrocious with players that didn't belong in a faster league post lockout that year, and I think that was the problem. It wasn't the goaltending. Didn't help that Forsberg was in and out of the line up too. I still think Esche was a head case, but how many goalies aren't to a certain extent.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Watching the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals series (Classic NHL) on the NHL Network...my god I (selectively) forgot just how bad our goaltending was .....Ben Eager scoring the game winning goal on Leighton in game 2 was brutal...

Ugh..
IIRC, Leighton had been a Hawk in the past. They had the book on him and played against his weaknesses.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
IIRC, Leighton had been a Hawk in the past. They had the book on him and played against his weaknesses.
He was a hawk in like 2003, I doubt any of their players at the time were on that team with him. It's not that they knew his weaknesses (which are legion), it's that they had an offense which could actually challenge our defense and challenge Leighton. Since Leighton came in any team that managed to consistently challenge him put up goals.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Old
07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Another great book..this one inspired by Leighton

Old
07-16-2013, 11:57 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
A book? Don't you mean pamphlet? Or 4 x 6 index card with the word SHOOT written in marker?

Old
07-16-2013, 12:24 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
He was a hawk in like 2003, I doubt any of their players at the time were on that team with him. It's not that they knew his weaknesses (which are legion), it's that they had an offense which could actually challenge our defense and challenge Leighton. Since Leighton came in any team that managed to consistently challenge him put up goals.
Everyone knew to go 5hole on Leighton by the Boston series. The hawx just did it better then Boston and Montreal was weak. Still have no idea how they got thru the pens and caps

Old
07-16-2013, 12:25 PM
kicksave27

Halak played out of his mind.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Halak played out of his mind.
That. He basically stole two series. Well, it did help that the Pens had an emotional collapse.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
flyershockey

Not that I should be excited that Detroit is coming to the East, but I'm ready to put to bed the notion that Datsyuk would be a guaranteed 100 point guy in the East.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Curufinwe

It seems unlikely he could break 100 points now having not been able to do so in the years after the 04-05 lockout when scoring was inflated across the league. But I'm sure he'll enjoy playing Florida and Tampa Bay a lot.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That. He basically stole two series. Well, it did help that the Pens had an emotional collapse.
Halak & Cammalleri did a lot of damage those two series.

Closed Thread