HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I don't care if we do or don't keep Bobkov, but he has no value.
I'm sure there's a late-round pick or a so-so prospect that some team is willing to part with to obtain a goalie for their AHL team. He's a capable AHL back-up.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:31 PM
bumperkisser

Not worth it. I'd rather put him in the echl

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:02 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

If we trade one of our current NHL goaltenders, we'll need Bobkov in the AHL anyway

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
So Mat Clark is apparently resigned for 1 year at $550k. I'll be surprised if he sees NHL-time.
1 way or 2 way?

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
There are four goalies ahead of him and he hasn't shown he has what it takes to jump over any of them. Gibson is the future and Andersen should at least be a backup for this team by either the end of this year or the start of next year. Bobkov's value will never be higher and we should make the best of it. It's okay to trade good prospects when you have better ones ahead of them. Most goalies that are drafted, especially by this team, never make it to the NHL so it's good to trade them as to not completely waste an asset.
Bobkov's value will never be higher? NHL goalies don't fetch a lot, what the hell do you think an AHL backup fetches?

We still have a need for goalies in the minors. Even if a player doesn't make our team, they are still helping us by playing on the farm.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
1 way or 2 way?
A player with 2 NHL game experience just can`t be signed to a one way deal imo

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:48 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
A player with 2 NHL game experience just can`t be signed to a one way deal imo
Common misconception around here. For a guy like Clark, and one-way deal just means that he gets paid the same salary regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:19 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Common misconception around here. For a guy like Clark, and one-way deal just means that he gets paid the same salary regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.
I believe he meant it in that Clark hasn't proven himself worthy of a one-way contract by playing only 2 NHL games (and having played a sub-par AHL year), not that he has to have a two-way contract to play in the AHL.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I believe he meant it in that Clark hasn't proven himself worthy of a one-way contract by playing only 2 NHL games (and having played a sub-par AHL year), not that he has to have a two-way contract to play in the AHL.
yes

Old
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Bobkov's value will never be higher? NHL goalies don't fetch a lot, what the hell do you think an AHL backup fetches?

We still have a need for goalies in the minors. Even if a player doesn't make our team, they are still helping us by playing on the farm.
I know we do and that's what Andersen and Gibson are for. Do you think a Russian goalie is going to want to even stick around after player a season in the ECHL or even the CHL?

He's an after-thought. We have four goalies better than him and three of them aren't going anywhere for at least two years. I'm saying if someone wants him they can have him, for whatever price really. He's just another goalie that goes through the system. What's the big deal?

In 21 drafts we've selected 17 goalies and a grand total of three of them have ever played for us. Two of them were veterans and wouldn't even be draft eligible if we took their drafts were held nowadays. The thing with Bobkov is he's a decent goalie and I'm sure there's a team that could use him. Why not trade him now while someone might want him? Or he's just another minor league goalie who will drift away after his contract expires. Let me ask you this: do you have any delusions that Bobkov will ever don a Ducks jersey?

Old
07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Bobkov has donned an Anaheim jersey.

07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
I know we do and that's what Andersen and Gibson are for. Do you think a Russian goalie is going to want to even stick around after player a season in the ECHL or even the CHL?

He's an after-thought. We have four goalies better than him and three of them aren't going anywhere for at least two years. I'm saying if someone wants him they can have him, for whatever price really. He's just another goalie that goes through the system. What's the big deal?

In 21 drafts we've selected 17 goalies and a grand total of three of them have ever played for us. Two of them were veterans and wouldn't even be draft eligible if we took their drafts were held nowadays. The thing with Bobkov is he's a decent goalie and I'm sure there's a team that could use him. Why not trade him now while someone might want him? Or he's just another minor league goalie who will drift away after his contract expires. Let me ask you this: do you have any delusions that Bobkov will ever don a Ducks jersey?
Things change.

Hebert was ''drafted''. Giggy was traded. Bryz was drafted. Hiller and Fasth was signed from Europe. Gibson and Andersen was drafted.

There isn`t one patter for each franchise.

Lately we have been very good with goalies (in the system). Depth wise we are currently easily in the best situation in franchise history.

PS
Do we even have an ECHL team to send Big Bob to? Is loaning an option? I`m bad at these things.
I also would not like to part with Bobkov for 6th-7th rounder. He still have some potential imo.

Old
07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Things change.

Hebert was ''drafted''. Giggy was traded. Bryz was drafted. Hiller and Fasth was signed from Europe. Gibson and Andersen was drafted.

There isn`t one patter for each franchise.

Lately we have been very good with goalies (in the system). Depth wise we are currently easily in the best situation in franchise history.

PS
Do we even have an ECHL team to send Big Bob to? Is loaning an option? I`m bad at these things.
I also would not like to part with Bobkov for 6th-7th rounder. He still have some potential imo.
What I meant by pointing that out is it's hard and unlikely to find an NHL caliber goalie in the draft. Bobkov showed a lot of promise but from where I sit that's all it was. And who cares? No one lost any sleep losing Marco Cousineau or J.P. Levassuer. Only the cream rises to the top with goalies and I'm much happier with the guys ahead of him.

I guess what my overall concern is this perceived notion that we have to be so previous and hold onto all of our prospects until they turn into busts. Prospects can be just as valuable as pieces in a trade. Look at Tverdovsky and Kilger. Look at Smid and Lupul. Hell even look at Michael Holmqvist. At first glance he was a bust of a first round pick. But he was traded for Travis Moen who turned out great who was then traded for Nick Bonino who's coming along nicely. We got more value out of trading that player than with most of our first rounders in the past. It's a waste to simply have these players until they are no longer useful. If they are track to make the team one day, great keep with the program. But if it's clear they have no future here move them while there are teams out there who see value in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Bobkov has donned an Anaheim jersey.
I guess I have to be more literal since it wasn't obvious that I clearly was asking will he ever play for this team.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Paul4587

Bobkov is needed if we trade one of Hiller/Fasth which is likely to happen before the trade deadline IMO. There's no point in giving him away when we may need him later in the year.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

He's a minor league goalie that's completely irrelevant.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
He's a minor league goalie that's completely irrelevant.
Except when we need a backup for our AHL team when one of Hiller/Fasth is likely traded. Then he's relevant again.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Nah, there's always someone available. Especially for a back-up, minor league spot.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Then why run the risk you'll get a 6th for Bobkov then have to spend a 5th to get a replacement when you can either trade him after the season or simply let him walk if he's no longer needed?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
DaDucks

I retract my comment about being more interesting than the general discussion.

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:16 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Do you guys think we could get a mid-seventh rounder for Yonkman at the deadline?

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Except when we need a backup for our AHL team when one of Hiller/Fasth is likely traded. Then he's relevant again.
But we could get a late round pick!

Old
07-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:

We even have a need for goalies in the ECHL. Shocking, I know. You see, in the minor leagues, players sometimes get injured. When that happens, they call up players from the next league down. It's crazy sounding, and I did some checking, turns out we're not the only team that does this. Sometimes teams even loan their players to other AHL teams.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
There've been goalies who are very late-bloomers. Anything can happen to Bobkov.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:23 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
There've been goalies who are very late-bloomers. Anything can happen to Bobkov.
Exactly, no one should be writing off goalie prospects.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Exactly, no one should be writing off goalie prospects.
Agreed. Goalies are always tough to project, and even as a goalie, Bobkov was more of a project. These projects remain projects until they put things together. There really isn't any upside in not holding on to him for now.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote