HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do you believe Brad Marchand deserves his negative reputation?

Old
07-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

vCash: 500
Pretty sure this isn't your first thread asking what HF's opinion on Marchand being "dirty" is... You got your answer the first time, you should probably stop being so concerned with what other people think about him haha

Anyways, he is a rat but not nearly as bad as a lot of people here say he is haha. He might shake the reputation a little if he continues to play (marginally) cleaner like he did last year, but I don't really have a problem with his reputation as a rat.

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:45 AM
tyratoku

I had no idea he was disliked as much as he is.

I don't watch the East.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
It's no secret people hate Brad Marchand, but does he deserve all of the negative attention? I'm talking about him being called a diver, a cheapshot artist, a whiner, and a dirty player.
He has worked hard for that reputation.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

He a coward. He's dirty and generally just a piece of garbage. He dives, although so do many other Bruins, but the fact is this. I would love to have him on my team.

Its kind of like Steve Ott. I used to hate him. Now, I love the guy.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
He deserves all of it.

And then some more.

Canadian Tire should sell ''Brad Marchand'' punching bags, they would sell out like air conditioners on hot summer days (and likely become just as valuable).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

He absolutely deserves it. He'd also be sought after by every GM in the NHL. Highly skilled super-pests are like friggin' Unicorns.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Yobbles
Devils/Hawks

I hate his face, so yes.

Yobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He absolutely deserves it. He'd also be sought after by every GM in the NHL. Highly skilled super-pests are like friggin' Unicorns.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Marchand wouldn't be effective not playing with Lucic and Chara on the team.

I don't think he is that desired. He is one step away from being hated on his OWN team like a Kaleta.
He would step onto the Leafs and immediately become their 2nd best player.

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
No, but he's been perfectly clean for the last 3 years though so that couldn't have been him.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
And they should go the way of the dodo. Indicative, imo, of a prevailing lack of professionalism in the league as a whole when guys like him are not only able to get a rise out of opponents with their dirtbaggery, but encouraged to go about it the way they do.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
CDJ

As for Marchand...yeah he deserves his rep to an extent. Not as vicious as a Cooke or a Torres, but he definitely has crossed the line a bit.

He seemed to cut out the diving this year. The only thing I can really recall him doing this year that was borderline was the hit on Neal

Old
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And they should go the way of the dodo. Indicative, imo, of a prevailing lack of professionalism in the league as a whole when guys like him are not only able to get a rise out of opponents with their dirtbaggery, but encouraged to go about it the way they do.
Says the guy who's favorite team employs PK Subban.

Stones in glass houses yada yada

Old
07-15-2013, 02:06 PM
neksys

Burrows and Marchand are good comparisons.

Similar reputations, disliked by opposing fans, but would be a "must-sign" by 29 other teams if they became UFAs today (and would immediately become fan favourites).

They both make a cap-friendly 4.5m per year. Burrows is probably the better goalscorer (even playing with the Sedins, you don't score 35 NHL goals by accident), but both are very good players. They are both huge pests and both have cleaned up their games a bit (though it looks like Marchand is a couple years behind Burrows on that, which makes sense as he's younger). Burrows is more of a "cerebral" pest that pisses off individual players (chirping, knowing what gets under a particular guys skin), while Marchand is a bit more of a physical, general one that pisses of whole teams (diving, cheap shots, etc.)

The point is its kind of funny to see Canucks fans hate on Marchand and Bruins fans hate on Burrows, when they are essentially the exact same player, cut from the exact same cloth.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:09 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Completely.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:10 PM
BudMovin*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post

Similar reputations, disliked by opposing fans, but would be a "must-sign" by 29 other teams if they became UFAs today (and would immediately become fan favourites).

They both make a cap-friendly 4.5m per year. Burrows is probably the better goalscorer (even playing with the Sedins, you don't score 35 NHL goals by accident), but both are very good players. They are both huge pests and both have cleaned up their games a bit (though it looks like Marchand is a couple years behind Burrows on that, which makes sense as he's younger). Burrows is more of a "cerebral" pest that pisses off individual players (chirping, knowing what gets under a particular guys skin), while Marchand is a bit more of a physical, general one that pisses of whole teams (diving, cheap shots, etc.)

The point is its kind of funny to see Canucks fans hate on Marchand and Bruins fans hate on Burrows, when they are essentially the exact same player, cut from the exact same cloth.
Well pests are players that you hate unless they are on the team you root for. Makes sense, no?

Old
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:

A lot of truth here, but not sure about the bolded. Marchand scored 28 goals last year at 24...Burrows scored 3 at the same age (in 81 games). He's already as prolific a goal producer, and he's 7 years younger than Burrows. Oh, and yeah, playing with the Sedin twins will absolutely inflate your goal totals from a mid-20 guy to a mid-30 guy.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
compan

He deserves a rep because of things that he has done. Some fan bases of rival teams tend to give him a worse rep. He deserves the rep of one of the biggest pests in the league, but when it comes to dirty hits and some putting him with Cooke (has been read on here numerous times, not reaching) I don't think that rep is justified.

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Yes, he's all of those things. That being said I want him on my team.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
It's no secret people hate Brad Marchand, but does he deserve all of the negative attention? I'm talking about him being called a diver, a cheapshot artist, a whiner, and a dirty player.
Yep. He's by no means the only guy in this category, but he does belong in this category.

Good player, though.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Yes.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
That's a pretty slippery slope. I've witnessed plenty of stars partake in the same antics that Marchand is known for, so where does one draw the line? It's a physical game and agitating is a large part of it. Would I like to see diving cracked down on? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean the rest of it needs to go. That shift where Marchand egged on Cooke and then jumped back into the play and scored was bloody brilliant. That's what hockey is about; the blend of skill and physicality.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Of course he does.

He dives, plays dirty and then does nothing but whine about other people doing it.
This right here, Marchand cries and whines about Subban after every Habs-Bruins game. I would still take him on my team though.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:14 PM
ZKass The Bass

He earned it like any other rat in the league, and it's never ever going away.

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Ryp37

Quote:
Yeah that low bridge on Salo was so Burrows-esque all is forgiven now

Ryp37 is online now   Reply With Quote