HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Lavy's system works fine when he has the right type of players. He needs two way defenseman and forwards. Our Top 6 hasn't been as defensively responsible as it was when we had Carter, Richards, Gagne, Hartnell, and Leino (who was a very good back checker during that time). Last year we had not real PMD besides Timonen, and to an extent Coburn, and our goalie couldn't handle the puck. The uptempo game Lavy tries to play isn't able to function when you can't get the puck out of your own zone quickly.

Lavy the system is an ok one, that has gotten teams two different teams to the finals. Lavy the coach has a short shelf life, as you can only scream so much.

Also, always fighting for possession of the puck after a lost faceoff really hurts. It's Giroux and then nothing, while before we had 3 guys that while not special, were adequate.
This is forgotten and underrated. Defensive face off, you win it, get it to the D, out of the zone, switch players. You lose it, you stay in the zone, harder to get the puck out, exhaust players.

The Flyers now have 3 of their 4 C's with better than 50% winning % on faceoffs. Last year it was 3 of 4 with below 50.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The Rangers and Devils have been choking the life out of us for years now, and Lavioltte has no clue how to respond.
Adding to your point, Laviolette's solution to Tampa's 1-3-1 was to have the defensemen pass back and fourth in protest instead of finding a way to attack it, which the rest of the league had figured out by then since Tamapa had the highest goals against in the NHL that year.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I recall a stat wherein 1 out of every 7 lost draws in the defensive zone leads to a scoring chance almost immediately (ignoring all the other chances and pressure as a result) and focusing purely on a shot on net within 4-5 seconds post faceoff.

They needed to win more draws. No doubt.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I recall a stat wherein 1 out of every 7 lost draws in the defensive zone leads to a scoring chance almost immediately (ignoring all the other chances and pressure as a result) and focusing purely on a shot on net within 4-5 seconds post faceoff.

They needed to win more draws. No doubt.
I think the Couturier needs to improve in the circle as much or more than he needs to improve offensively. 43% just isn't cutting it. I know young players tend to improve over time, but I'd feel a whole lot better if he were at 47% and looking to improve.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:26 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I think the Couturier needs to improve in the circle as much or more than he needs to improve offensively. 43% just isn't cutting it. I know young players tend to improve over time, but I'd feel a whole lot better if he were at 47% and looking to improve.
Send him once in a while to Bobby Clarke. The way he dominated the dot, he should be ashamed to see the stats of Couturier and Schenn.

Last edited by BackWithaVengeance: 07-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Send him once in a while to Bobby Clarke. The way he dominated the dot, he should be ashamed to see the stats of Cotourier and Schenn.
Hall and Lecavalier should be great mentors for Couturier for faceoffs. As a matter of fact, were I Peter Laviolette, I would ensure that Hall spend time every practice with Couturier going over them and mastering every strategy / cheat in the book.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:45 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Hall and Lecavalier should be great mentors for Couturier for faceoffs. As a matter of fact, were I Peter Laviolette, I would ensure that Hall spend time every practice with Couturier going over them and mastering every strategy / cheat in the book.
True, forgot Hall. Just checked his stats. 59% won face-offs.

Can't hurt.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Hiesenberg

yea, Hall was ridiculous

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Adding to your point, Laviolette's solution to Tampa's 1-3-1 was to have the defensemen pass back and fourth in protest instead of finding a way to attack it, which the rest of the league had figured out by then since Tamapa had the highest goals against in the NHL that year.
An interesting statistic to add to the mix:

In the 2011 and 2012 playoffs, the Flyers were 9-13. In each of the nine wins, the Flyers scored at least four goals. In each of the the 13 losses, they scored three goals or less. Granted, the goaltending those years was mostly putrid, but you can't expect to go deep if you can't win any tight-checking games.

Haanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
They have the potential center depth now to have 2 centers on every line, so they can cheat out the wazoo and risk getting tossed.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post

In the 2011 and 2012 playoffs, the Flyers were 9-13. In each of the nine wins, the Flyers scored at least four goals. In each of the the 13 losses, they scored three goals or less. Granted, the goaltending those years was mostly putrid, but you can't expect to go deep if you can't win any tight-checking games.

Wonder how many of the goals in the losses were a result of a d zone face off loss.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post

Wonder how many of the goals in the losses were a result of a d zone face off loss.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
This is forgotten and underrated. Defensive face off, you win it, get it to the D, out of the zone, switch players. You lose it, you stay in the zone, harder to get the puck out, exhaust players.

The Flyers now have 3 of their 4 C's with better than 50% winning % on faceoffs. Last year it was 3 of 4 with below 50.

Well said, the small details that usually make or break a coach.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Well said, the small details that usually make or break a coach.
I'm obviously in agreement. However, a faceoff win is only part of the equation. Far too many times of late, the Flyers would win a defensive-zone faceoff, only to give up the puck, even when faced with minimal forechecking pressure. If they want to continue to look for the home run pass, they still should have a forward circling low for a plan B.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
I'm obviously in agreement. However, a faceoff win is only part of the equation. Far too many times of late, the Flyers would win a defensive-zone faceoff, only to give up the puck, even when faced with minimal forechecking pressure. If they want to continue to look for the home run pass, they still should have a forward circling low for a plan B.
Coburn was the worst at that. defensive zone face-off win to Coburn, then he'd promptly give it right back to them some how

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Coburn was the worst at that. defensive zone face-off win to Coburn, then he'd promptly give it right back to them some how
Having Streit should help prevent this...hopefully.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by curufinwe View Post
the rangers and devils have been choking the life out of us for years now, and lavioltte has no clue how to respond.
Flying V!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Absolutely, a lot of those faceoff losses are also 50/50 pucks that wingers get boxed out on. There's a lot of little things involved and it's part of the reason linemates need continuity. I see what you're saying though and I'm in agreeance in that our defensemen threw a lot of pucks straight back down the ice for yet another defensive zone faceoff. Got pretty maddening at times, but we also have to take into account what we had back there.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Absolutely, a lot of those faceoff losses are also 50/50 pucks that wingers get boxed out on. There's a lot of little things involved and it's part of the reason linemates need continuity. I see what you're saying though and I'm in agreeance in that our defensemen threw a lot of pucks straight back down the ice for yet another defensive zone faceoff. Got pretty maddening at times, but we also have to take into account what we had back there.
What got particularly maddening in its repetition was the strategy -- if I can use that term for this -- of firing the puck around the boards to a forward with his back to the blue line and having him (attempt to) deflect the puck out of the zone. Best-case scenario is that another Flyer forward can gain possession of the puck but the vast majority of scenarios pointed to the opposition gaining possession, either in the neutral zone or (as we saw too much of) in the Flyers' end.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
What got particularly maddening in its repetition was the strategy -- if I can use that term for this -- of firing the puck around the boards to a forward with his back to the blue line and having him (attempt to) deflect the puck out of the zone. Best-case scenario is that another Flyer forward can gain possession of the puck but the vast majority of scenarios pointed to the opposition gaining possession, either in the neutral zone or (as we saw too much of) in the Flyers' end.

IMO it says it all when you're supposed to be a puck possession team and you can't win face offs and you're relying on dump and chase tactics. Frustrating to say the least and a big part of the reason we spent so much time in our own end. As many others have stated here before me, having goalies who can play the puck is a must with the blue line right now.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The Rangers and Devils have been choking the life out of us for years now, and Lavioltte has no clue how to respond.
Lundquist and Brodeur just frustrate the heck out of the Flyers. You can see that when the Flyers play them. They are always trying for the perfect pass or shot instead of shooting on net and crashing for rebounds. The Rags just lay down in front of the net to block low shots so that Lundquist can make a play while the Devils push the Flyers out of the front of the net so that Brodeur can play catch with the Flyers' shooters. The Flyers need to use size to crash these goalies.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:19 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Lundquist and Brodeur just frustrate the heck out of the Flyers. You can see that when the Flyers play them. They are always trying for the perfect pass or shot instead of shooting on net and crashing for rebounds. The Rags just lay down in front of the net to block low shots so that Lundquist can make a play while the Devils push the Flyers out of the front of the net so that Brodeur can play catch with the Flyers' shooters. The Flyers need to use size to crash these goalies.
Lundqvist isnt good at playing the puck, like at all.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:08 PM
kicksave27

While Lundy and Brodeur are good, they don't project some magical forcefield along the flyers blue line preventing them from getting out of their own end. Which is how teams beat the flyers.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
They have the potential center depth now to have 2 centers on every line, so they can cheat out the wazoo and risk getting tossed.
Exactly. I'm really looking forward to this.

Zod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Curufinwe

So I researched Timmy P's quote that:

• Since 1995, the Flyers’ best second-round player who made it to the NHL has been Andreas Nodl, now playing for the Carolina Hurricanes

And since 1995 the Flyers have actually only had 11 second round picks. They trade most of them away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rs_draft_picks

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote