HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Thesensation19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
This is so... like... June 25th girl.

If there are issues, Arniel is going to be the one in the dog house before Brassy is. After Richards, Brassard is our #2 center. #2 centers are harder to replace than an assistant coach who hasn't won a thing.
Right now our depth chart probably more looks like Stepan, Brassard Richards. I really think Richards can make a turn around this year and play proper minutes in the top 2 spots though. Leaving Brassard having to adapt at wing or play #3 center.

I really dont like the situation at hand. But I think all 3 guys will have solid years

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
#NYR expected to name Dan Lacroix as assistant coach today to complete Vigneault's staff. Former Ranger LW was ass't at TB last year.
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/sta...99182202322944

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Lacroix is an experienced coach

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2894

Islanders and TB assistant coach under Nolan,Gordon and Boucher. Lacroix was with Boucher in the AHL for one year.

Lacroix is the eye in the sky.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Lacroix is an experienced coach

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2894

Islanders and TB assistant coach under Nolan,Gordon and Boucher. Lacroix was with Boucher in the AHL for one year.

Lacroix is the eye in the sky.
Any information on things he focused on? Offense, defense, PP? Since he's an eye in the sky and an assistant coach, I know he'll have some part in scouting and practices. I was just wondering if he has a particular area of expertise.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
eco's bones

I remember LaCroix as a 4th line scrapper.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Any information on things he focused on? Offense, defense, PP? Since he's an eye in the sky and an assistant coach, I know he'll have some part in scouting and practices. I was just wondering if he has a particular area of expertise.
Vigneault said he wanted the 3rd assistant to also help the players on the ice develop their skills during practice. Probably work with the players before and after practice too. Eye in the sky and help the other coaches with the overall plan.

Arniel handles the PP. Samuelson handles the PK.

Long-time Rangers employee Jerry Dineen will still the video duties.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I remember Lacroix during one warm up before a game at the Garden really like the song by Rancid "Ruby Soho". He was shaking his head up and down so hard. He really liked the music. Some players don't pay attention.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I remember Lacroix during one warm up before a game at the Garden really like the song by Rancid "Ruby Soho". He was shaking his head up and down so hard. He really liked the music. Some players don't pay attention.
Great song and band. I approve of this hiring.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
great choice of music... i saw Rancid a month ago with Transplants at the end of June at terminal 5.. any coach that likes Rancid Less Than Jake NOFX A Day To Remember bands like that must be hired. they should just stop playing pop music and rap music at hockey games.... it doesnt fit in at all.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:38 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

So, AV, Arniel, and Ulf on the bench? LaCroix eye in the sky?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Ola

His dad is a pal of Slats.

I think he qualifies on his own merits nowadays though...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Vigneault said he wanted the 3rd assistant to also help the players on the ice develop their skills during practice. Probably work with the players before and after practice too. Eye in the sky and help the other coaches with the overall plan.

Arniel handles the PP. Samuelson handles the PK.

Long-time Rangers employee Jerry Dineen will still the video duties.
I remember Lacroix as being a pretty hard working player. Him running some puck drills and development kinda makes sense in that way, even if he wasnt an incredibly skilled player himself.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Vigneault didn't hire any of his former VAN assistants. Bowness joined TB before AV took the NYR job. AV was coaching this season with the Rangers and Stars after him. Bowness wanted to do his own thing. Newell Brown joined Tippett in PHX after AV hired Arniel and Samuelsson. Arniel is the one questionable hire. He coached Nash,Brassard,Moore and Dorsett in Columbus. There was friction between Arniel and Brassard. Nash stopped being used on the PK when Hitchcock was fired. It was Claude Noel and then Arniel. AV and Arniel are good friends. Arniel coached in the VAN system before and after Columbus. He was a good AHL coach. Samuelsson should be good for the D. Larry Robinson made Stevens,Daneyko and Driver better players when Lemaire hired Robby in 1993. All of them were already established players. He really helped Niedermayer who was really young player in 1993. He was 20.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I don't understand the Arniel hire 1 bit.

I have an idea, let's get someone who doesn't get along/click with 2 of our 3 best forwards!! oooh let's get Scott Arniel.....

I don't get it..

If Brass and/or Nash start slow, or seem like uncomfortable, I want this clown fired ASAP.

If our PP doesn't show improve drastically by Thanksgiving, I want this clown fired ASAP.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. I've liked Rancid for a long time.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I don't understand the Arniel hire 1 bit.

I have an idea, let's get someone who doesn't get along/click with 2 of our 3 best forwards!! oooh let's get Scott Arniel.....

I don't get it..

If Brass and/or Nash start slow, or seem like uncomfortable, I want this clown fired ASAP.

If our PP doesn't show improve drastically by Thanksgiving, I want this clown fired ASAP.
He hasn't coached a single practice yet, let alone game. I think our front office have done their research and decided it wouldn't be a huge factor. Let's take it easy.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
great choice of music... i saw Rancid a month ago with Transplants at the end of June at terminal 5.. any coach that likes Rancid Less Than Jake NOFX A Day To Remember bands like that must be hired. they should just stop playing pop music and rap music at hockey games.... it doesnt fit in at all.
Throw in Sublime as well.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Throw in Sublime as well.
also throw in Authority Zero Iration The Expendables Ballyhoo! Pepper 311 etc... damn i have been to so many great concerts

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Good call. I use to hang with some of the guys in the bands you mention Punx, Nofx's Eric Melvin owned a cafe on Melrose ave, my roommate was the manager, was my home away from home when I lived in LA in the mid 90's.

As far as Lacroix, again, another Sather family friend, but at least he has some credentials. He rode in on Ted Nolan's coattails. Seems like he's worked, enough to gain some noteworthy openings, Tampa, now NY. Tough guy in his day. Dave Brown was a tough guy who flourished in this role. Seems like the thinking is these guys spent alot of time watching from the bench, they might be more than qualified to read what goes on from above.

Quote:
Vigneault didn't hire any of his former VAN assistants. Bowness joined TB before AV took the NYR job. AV was coaching this season with the Rangers and Stars after him. Bowness wanted to do his own thing. Newell Brown joined Tippett in PHX after AV hired Arniel and Samuelsson. Arniel is the one questionable hire. He coached Nash,Brassard,Moore and Dorsett in Columbus. There was friction between Arniel and Brassard. Nash stopped being used on the PK when Hitchcock was fired. It was Claude Noel and then Arniel. AV and Arniel are good friends. Arniel coached in the VAN system before and after Columbus. He was a good AHL coach. Samuelsson should be good for the D. Larry Robinson made Stevens,Daneyko and Driver better players when Lemaire hired Robby in 1993. All of them were already established players. He really helped Niedermayer who was really young player in 1993. He was 20.
Good point about Ulfie being in a 'Robinson' situation, though Larry was a very heady defensive player, always thought of as having a career as a coach even when he was playing. Don't forget he also was mentoring Mcsorely, Blake and Sydor(briefly) his last few years with the Kings, then coached Mattias Norstrom when he was traded to the Kings and Larry was coaching there in the mid 90's.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
He hasn't coached a single practice yet, let alone game. I think our front office have done their research and decided it wouldn't be a huge factor. Let's take it easy.
Yeah, you would definitely like to believe that Slats and co. did their research and consulted with Nash, Brass, the other former Blue Jackets before giving the go ahead to Arniel. At least I hope

Old
07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Clearly Sather didn't ask anyone about Arniel and just hired him for the sake of it.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Josh3217

Ulf can teach the D how to play mean and on edge, and Lacroix can teach them how to fight.

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
Ulf can teach the D how to play mean and on edge, and Lacroix can teach them how to fight.
And hopefully they mix in some hockey, if there's time left over.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Clearly Sather didn't ask anyone about Arniel and just hired him for the sake of it.
Nothing has ever been more obvious.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Quote:
I'm sold.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote