HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane

Old
07-15-2013, 07:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Why is this thread titled "Evander Kane"?

Random

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Poile said after trading erat he would get a replacement for him, well we already obviously had forsberg as that point, so where is our replacement you speak of David??
Well, since we're apparently not allowed to include Forsberg (for "everyone MUST be obligated to hate Poile as much as I do" reasons, or something equally petty)... Cullen and Stalberg together manage to exceed Erat's point totals just fine. And that's arguably a good thing considering the number of games Erat has habitually lost to injury.

Quote:
Of the four we brought in, none are top six.
The more I read about Cullen and watch clips of the guy the more I think he's legit top-6. Not top-3 by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm willing to say that my initial reaction to that signing ("what? how the hell?") was extremely off-base.

Stalberg has the potential to be a second-liner, although we won't know that for sure until he's given the ice time.

Dramatic offense increase? Nope. But is there an increase? Yes - marginal, but yes. Potential for even more increases depending on how the kids develop through the season? Tons.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Why is this thread titled "Evander Kane"?

Random
I've asked myself that too... Perhaps a new thread titled: 'Post Free Agent Frenzy Pity Party' is more appropriate.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
thecloser

It's the same people that are negative over and over. Rather then thinking we did nothing look at what we did do. There wasnt a FA that was star status so we got what we got. And what we could get. Who knows who we were in on.

If we're going to make a play for a "true" top 6 fwd then it's gonna have to come by trade.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
SeventyOneTN

Personally I think the Hendricks and Nystrom pickups are good for this season, but I do question the lengths of the contracts

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
Personally I think the Hendricks and Nystrom pickups are good for this season, but I do question the lengths of the contracts
And the ridiculous amount of money lol.

Someone above said stalberg and Cullen together get more points than erat alone. That doesn't matter. We can't have two guys taking two roster spots and doing one guys job.

That's like saying we don't need an 80 point player because fisher and legwand can get 80 combined.

The thread is titled evander Kane because he is a guy I thought we could make a run for. Just an example of an offensive top three player that could potentially be on the trading block that we can make a move for. It could be titled Kane, stastny, Stewart, etc. I think it's a fine thread title, especially if you read first page or so. I don't understand why we keep making new threads on something already deeply in discussions in an existing thread.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think we have enough threads to discuss our Free Agency acquisitions. Can we get this one back on topic, please?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:

Someone above said stalberg and Cullen together get more points than erat alone. That doesn't matter. We can't have two guys taking two roster spots and doing one guys job.

That's like saying we don't need an 80 point player because fisher and legwand can get 80 combined.

The thread is titled evander Kane because he is a guy I thought we could make a run for. Just an example of an offensive top three player that could potentially be on the trading block that we can make a move for. It could be titled Kane, stastny, Stewart, etc. I think it's a fine thread title, especially if you read first page or so. I don't understand why we keep making new threads on something already deeply in discussions in an existing thread.
Kane an offensive top three player? He has potential no doubt, but he is still a player who hasn't scored 60 pts yet in a season...and like you know this team has plenty of forwards in that mold.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Kane an offensive top three player? He has potential no doubt, but he is still a player who hasn't scored 60 pts yet in a season...and like you know this team has plenty of forwards in that mold.
The only forward I would compare to Kane on this team is Wilson.

Your totally right he hasn't gotten 60 points, but you know him and Wilson both have that potential. Imagine them two together on our first line?

I kind of leaned towards Kane because he is so young, but there are always other possibilities out there that are a bit older and maybe therefore cheaper to acquire.

Guys like hemsky or stastny would be nice until we can develop some of our young talent. Hemsky preferably more, I think stastny is overpaid.

We simply cannot expect beck and forsberg to light it up, neither has shed barely any time on NHL.

Kane would be amazing and could be a long time fixture here, but the cost to get him is undoubtedly going to be one of jones/josi.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
jlsg

Quote:

Just to clarify, Stalberg and Cullen EACH have more goals then Erat last year, not combined.Cullen had more total points then Erat, Stalberg was 1 behind. The bet that the front office is making is will Stalberg, with the added minutes he's likely to see, be able to match or surpass Erat. I think he will, but time will tell.

And to stay on topic, my concern with Kane is he gets as many goals as assists. While having someone that can score is obviously good, he doesn't seem to make the team better. A good forward will have many more assists then goals.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
We have no-one that is almost 22 (Aug 2) and that has been in the NHL 4 seasons, that is 6'2" 200lbs and can play like he does? Our closest would be Beck, Bourque, Smith (not close) and most likely Wilson. Wilson is the only one who has played for 4 yrs but is 2 yrs older. Kane has played 51 more games and scored 56 more points. Kane has more goals 80/46 and assists 79/57 and scores at a much better rate .61/.49.

A deal for EK would be a huge get, for the right players/prospects/picks even if we have to overpay some to get!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:15 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Just to clarify, Stalberg and Cullen EACH have more goals then Erat last year, not combined.Cullen had more total points then Erat, Stalberg was 1 behind. The bet that the front office is making is will Stalberg, with the added minutes he's likely to see, be able to match or surpass Erat. I think he will, but time will tell.

And to stay on topic, my concern with Kane is he gets as many goals as assists. While having someone that can score is obviously good, he doesn't seem to make the team better. A good forward will have many more assists then goals.

One shortened season Cullen and stalberg had more goals than erat. Stalberg was getting ice time with guys like sharp, Kane, toews on powerplay and erat played on a team where everyone was injured it seemed and we had guys like Henderson, and bang in the lineup lol. Look back over stalbergs entire career or last five years or so with Cullen, see how they stack up to erat then.
Cullen isn't much worse than erat but is also a dinosaur ready to retire anytime now.

I will be shocked if stalberg or Cullen break fifty points, not exactly the offensive punch we needed.

Weber must hate being our leading scorer.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Erat hasn't been the same since he hurt his back before the playoffs, IMHO.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
One shortened season Cullen and stalberg had more goals than erat. Stalberg was getting ice time with guys like sharp, Kane, toews on powerplay and erat played on a team where everyone was injured it seemed and we had guys like Henderson, and bang in the lineup lol. Look back over stalbergs entire career or last five years or so with Cullen, see how they stack up to erat then.
Cullen isn't much worse than erat but is also a dinosaur ready to retire anytime now.

I will be shocked if stalberg or Cullen break fifty points, not exactly the offensive punch we needed.

Weber must hate being our leading scorer.
Might want to check that out before you post it....

Stallberg doesn't have a PPG in his career.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
jlsg

First 3 full years in the NHL for Stalberg compared to Erat seems Stalberg had more goals. Erat with more assists. The stats are telling me that Stalberg is every bit the player that Erat is at the same point in the career. Playing the minutes with some of the guys we have may show what he's capable of or show that he's not the guy. Let's play a few games and see.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
Might want to check that out before you post it....

Stallberg doesn't have a PPG in his career.
My bad, but what I meant was he has seen time with those guys. Kinda even weaker he couldn't get one goal while playing pp time with the likes of those forwards.

Can't wait to see what he does in Nashville with even better playmakers.....

When erat was stalberg age, he was much more of a complete player achieving more. It's not like stalberg is early twenties. He's pushing thirty guys, he is not our answer to top six player. Plain and simple.

You know why he never got top six mins in Chicago?? Because he wasn't good enough! Look at bickell, the guy killed it in playoffs so got lots of minutes, you need production to get ice time.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
My bad, but what I meant was he has seen time with those guys. Kinda even weaker he couldn't get one goal while playing pp time with the likes of those forwards.

Can't wait to see what he does in Nashville with even better playmakers.....

When erat was stalberg age, he was much more of a complete player achieving more. It's not like stalberg is early twenties. He's pushing thirty guys, he is not our answer to top six player. Plain and simple.

You know why he never got top six mins in Chicago?? Because he wasn't good enough! Look at bickell, the guy killed it in playoffs so got lots of minutes, you need production to get ice time.

My point regarding no PPG was more in refernce to the fact that he didn't play the PP. Its no secret that he was in the doghouse in Chicago from time to time, but just because he wasn't playing in the top 6 doesn't make him garbage either. What player on our team would make the top 6 currently for Chicago?

I agree we need help in the top 6, but I think Stalberg gives us a solid addition to that top 6. I think we need to relax and be prepared to give the team a year to marinate before we go out selling our youngsters. I think it would take a substantial offer to get Kane.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
My point regarding no PPG was more in refernce to the fact that he didn't play the PP. Its no secret that he was in the doghouse in Chicago from time to time, but just because he wasn't playing in the top 6 doesn't make him garbage either. What player on our team would make the top 6 currently for Chicago?

I agree we need help in the top 6, but I think Stalberg gives us a solid addition to that top 6. I think we need to relax and be prepared to give the team a year to marinate before we go out selling our youngsters. I think it would take a substantial offer to get Kane.
Oh I agree, it would take a boatload to get EK, it would be worth every asset though IMO. A guy like him is what this team has been starving for now for 'several' seasons. I say make a package around josi or jones, that would get it done. I know josi is on an awesome contract but we won't get a guy like Kane for nothing, the contract would help entice Winnipeg anyways. We still have ridiculous defense without one of the two and also will have rinne still to shut it down.

If we need a guy for top four maybe we could do package deal,

Something like,
Kane and fourth defender

For

Josi and fisher. Just an example.

And stalberg did play pp time in Chicago, just didnt produce so he got demoted. You are right though, nobody on our top six could play on Chicago top six, which is why we aren't winning cups.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
maplepred

Just had a crazy dream last night. Woke up, thought about it and decided it wasn't so crazy.
I know this isn't for Kane, but hear me out.

Sharks have been playoff team for years, ever since I can remember. But they always get beat out. I think they need a roster shake up.
They need defense which we have tons and they have tons of offense which we need.

Do you think they would be willing to part with marleau?!

I can't see them moving Thornton, couture, pavelski, Etc. but maybe marleau is expendable?!

What would it cost us?? If it meant Klein would you do it?

Old
07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Just had a crazy dream last night. Woke up, thought about it and decided it wasn't so crazy.
I know this isn't for Kane, but hear me out.

Sharks have been playoff team for years, ever since I can remember. But they always get beat out. I think they need a roster shake up.
They need defense which we have tons and they have tons of offense which we need.

I can't see them moving Thornton, couture, pavelski, Etc. but maybe marleau is expendable?!

What would it cost us?? If it meant Klein would you do it?

We do? Yes we have 7 D-men projected to be on the team, but only 5 of them have played in more than 3 NHL games, the other two of the projected 7 D-men have 3 games experience combined. Yes Jones is supposed to be good, but until he plays in a few games at this level, do we really know how good he is?

I wouldn't call that tons. From all the talk around here, the supply room on D is low.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
We do? Yes we have 7 D-men projected to be on the team, but only 5 of them have played in more than 3 NHL games, the other two of the projected 7 D-men have 3 games experience combined. Yes Jones is supposed to be good, but until he plays in a few games at this level, do we really know how good he is?

I wouldn't call that tons. From all the talk around here, the supply room on D is low.
I'm sure a deal could be worked where they would throw us a 5/6 pairing guy for a higher quality d-man.

Think something along the lines of,

Marleau, braun/demers

For

Klein, 2014 first, cehlin

Old
07-19-2013, 10:16 AM
AintLifeGrand

NFW Marleau is traded..especially to Nashville

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
No. He's a speed winger for them, and that is a desperate, desperate need of theirs (it's part of why they ended up dumping Clowe, for example). They need more like him, not to get rid of him.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
maplepred

Ah well! Was just a thought! Lol.

Sharks do need a shakeup though, that team is awesome but just can't win in playoffs.