HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mark Jankowski - Providence College, HE (2012, 21st overall, Calgary)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
  #526
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Interested to see how he does at team Canada's wjc camp.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:43 PM
  #527
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,309
vCash: 500
IIRC, Rob Schremp started as an 8.0 C and regressed to an 8.0 D a bit later. That dude had ridiculous hands and killed it in the OHL. What has Jankowski shown skill-wise to suggest he's any better than Schremp was at that age? 7.5 seems right to me.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:07 AM
  #528
Reinhart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Azores
Posts: 627
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
IIRC, Rob Schremp started as an 8.0 C and regressed to an 8.0 D a bit later. That dude had ridiculous hands and killed it in the OHL. What has Jankowski shown skill-wise to suggest he's any better than Schremp was at that age? 7.5 seems right to me.
Hindsight:

Shremp fizzled out. Why?

Jankowski could very well fizzle out as well, but for different reasons. Jankowski has size, skating ability, high hockey IQ, ability to utilize his line mates, high work ethic, and high-end skill.

What was Shremp's strengths? Look back at his points - how many did he get on the PP compared to ES? Look back at how he was criticized by some for being a 'hot dog' or 'selfish'. Shremp oozed talent, so why did he fizzle? What makes you think they are comparable in the least?

You just throw out a random high valuation prospect that bombed, and yell out "See!". How is he even a comparison in this case? It is just as useful as me throwing some low-grade prospect who vastly out-developed his ranking. Exactly what does that prove unless there are several underlying similarities?

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  #529
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 50
Apparently Janko has looked like a stud and one our top prospects at the development camp. Looking like he's no longer deserving of being called a project.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
  #530
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Apparently Janko has looked like a stud and one our top prospects at the development camp. Looking like he's no longer deserving of being called a project.
If he can put up decent numbers in the NCAA then maybe he won't be a project. Rookie camp is the last place you want to put stock into. Guys like niniimaki have looked like lindros in rookie camps before flaming out

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:26 AM
  #531
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
If he can put up decent numbers in the NCAA then maybe he won't be a project. Rookie camp is the last place you want to put stock into. Guys like niniimaki have looked like lindros in rookie camps before flaming out
I've said the same thing on our board, we need to weather our expectations. However, he's ahead of where we projected him to be to this point, if he can double his production next year (and I see no reason why he can't) then I think there's lots of reason for excitement and optimism and then I think there's no reason to label him a project going forward.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:44 AM
  #532
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I've said the same thing on our board, we need to weather our expectations. However, he's ahead of where we projected him to be to this point, if he can double his production next year (and I see no reason why he can't) then I think there's lots of reason for excitement and optimism and then I think there's no reason to label him a project going forward.
What? I personally think every prospect is a project unless they're NHL ready (size, IQ, skill, etc). For the Avs, the only prospect I wouldn't label as a project is Mackinnon.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:52 AM
  #533
Jets
Resident Sieve
 
Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
He didnt put up really insane number in his draft year though, but he's got great bloodlines and obviously the Flames saw something in him. His numbers for his age group in the NCAA are solid, but not spectacular; ended up 12th in U19 scoring.
Oh yeah! Wasn't his dad a decent kicker for the Raiders?

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
  #534
Flames1217
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 296
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Oh yeah! Wasn't his dad a decent kicker for the Raiders?
His Grandfather, Uncle, and Great uncle all played in the NHL. He is also apparently a distant relative to San Jose former captain Rob Blake. Say what you want but the kid definitely has talent in his bloodlines. Edit, Sorry his uncle never played in the NHL, just a longtime scout I was mistaken.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  #535
Reinhart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Azores
Posts: 627
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
His Grandfather, Uncle, and Great uncle all played in the NHL. He is also apparently a distant relative to San Jose former captain Rob Blake. Say what you want but the kid definitely has talent in his bloodlines. Edit, Sorry his uncle never played in the NHL, just a longtime scout I was mistaken.
I had no idea about Rob Blake being related. Here is his 'bloodlines':

Quote:
They also surely were impressed by Jankowski's strong bloodlines. His grandfather Lou played for the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks in the 1950s before serving for many years as an NHL scout. Jankowski's father, Len, played four years at Cornell University, and his uncle Ryan works as a scout in western Canada for the Montreal Canadiens. Finally, Jankowski's great uncle is Hall of Famer Red Kelly, winner of eight Stanley Cups with the Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635682

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  #536
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 50
10F.

No wait he plays D for the Nucks.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  #537
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
What? I personally think every prospect is a project unless they're NHL ready (size, IQ, skill, etc). For the Avs, the only prospect I wouldn't label as a project is Mackinnon.
Very true, but when Janko was drafted he took that label to another level. At this point, it no longer seems far fetched that he will make the NHL, rather when he does what kind of capacity will it be in. But he still needs to improve in a lot of areas and work on his game before that happens.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:19 PM
  #538
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Very true, but when Janko was drafted he took that label to another level. At this point, it no longer seems far fetched that he will make the NHL, rather when he does what kind of capacity will it be in. But he still needs to improve in a lot of areas and work on his game before that happens.
How do you get that he's a for sure nhler after one average NCAA season. Seems way to early. There's admit of better guys in NCAA or even ahl that are still uncleaned if they'll make NHL

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  #539
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,490
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
What? I personally think every prospect is a project unless they're NHL ready (size, IQ, skill, etc). For the Avs, the only prospect I wouldn't label as a project is Mackinnon.
There are varying degrees there. Players that get that word thrown around about them are typically not too likely to make it to the NHL, but are taken because of a high ceiling. They combine the high ceiling with the low floor. Janikowski is the very definition of it, and projects typically don't go in the first round - hence the outrage when it happened.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
  #540
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,927
vCash: 665
8.0D is fair IMO. Potential first line with his size, skating, age, hockey sense but very uncertain to reach it since he hasn't produced against quality competition on any level.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:41 PM
  #541
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How do you get that he's a for sure nhler after one average NCAA season. Seems way to early. There's admit of better guys in NCAA or even ahl that are still uncleaned if they'll make NHL
What he is saying is usually project prospects are seen as boom or bust but because of Janko's size and skill he is much less boom or bust but the question is can his skill transition making him a top 6 forward.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
  #542
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I've said the same thing on our board, we need to weather our expectations. However, he's ahead of where we projected him to be to this point, if he can double his production next year (and I see no reason why he can't) then I think there's lots of reason for excitement and optimism and then I think there's no reason to label him a project going forward.
Jujhar Khaira was also a player who had a late growth spurt and wasn't drafted into the WHL because of it, and also went the college route. He straight up outperformed Jankowski last season. I don't think you'll find many people who label Khaira as anything but a project. Being able to dominate development camp means jack considering how half the guys there are random camp invites or late draft picks that'll never get an ELC. For him to no longer be considered a project Jankowski still needs to:
A) fill out (seriously he's about the same age and weight as me, but I'm 5 inches shorter)
B) show he can handle the vigors of a 40 game season playing against his peers, let alone an 80 game season against men
C) show he can handle the responsibility of a top 6 role in the NCAA, let alone the AHL, he's not even close to a top 6 role in the NHL at this point
D) show his skills can translate against players that aren't just development camp fodder, it's a lot easier to play your game when facing Johnny McFodderoth than when facing Shea Weber

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:04 PM
  #543
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Jujhar Khaira was also a player who had a late growth spurt and wasn't drafted into the WHL because of it, and also went the college route. He straight up outperformed Jankowski last season. I don't think you'll find many people who label Khaira as anything but a project. Being able to dominate development camp means jack considering how half the guys there are random camp invites or late draft picks that'll never get an ELC. For him to no longer be considered a project Jankowski still needs to:
A) fill out (seriously he's about the same age and weight as me, but I'm 5 inches shorter)
B) show he can handle the vigors of a 40 game season playing against his peers, let alone an 80 game season against men
C) show he can handle the responsibility of a top 6 role in the NCAA, let alone the AHL, he's not even close to a top 6 role in the NHL at this point
D) show his skills can translate against players that aren't just development camp fodder, it's a lot easier to play your game when facing Johnny McFodderoth than when facing Shea Weber
You can't simply look at point totals and conclude which one is better as Janko is in the H-East and Kharia is in the WCHA.

Michigan Tech had 6 players with 20+ points and 1 with over 30. Providence had 3 with 20+ points and the point leader had 24.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:40 PM
  #544
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,308
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
There are varying degrees there. Players that get that word thrown around about them are typically not too likely to make it to the NHL, but are taken because of a high ceiling. They combine the high ceiling with the low floor. Janikowski is the very definition of it, and projects typically don't go in the first round - hence the outrage when it happened.
I disagree. Jankowski's floor isn't really that low. He's big, great skater, strong work ethic, good IQ, and he's a good defensive forward. There's no reason why he can't succeed as a 3rd line C if his offensive doesn't translate.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:05 PM
  #545
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
What he is saying is usually project prospects are seen as boom or bust but because of Janko's size and skill he is much less boom or bust but the question is can his skill transition making him a top 6 forward.
Exactly, and the Flames are rebuilding. He's gonna have every opportunity to play here if he continues to develop and improve. He's on the right path.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:31 PM
  #546
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode
 
Walkingthroughforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Jujhar Khaira was also a player who had a late growth spurt and wasn't drafted into the WHL because of it, and also went the college route. He straight up outperformed Jankowski last season. I don't think you'll find many people who label Khaira as anything but a project. Being able to dominate development camp means jack considering how half the guys there are random camp invites or late draft picks that'll never get an ELC. For him to no longer be considered a project Jankowski still needs to:
A) fill out (seriously he's about the same age and weight as me, but I'm 5 inches shorter)
B) show he can handle the vigors of a 40 game season playing against his peers, let alone an 80 game season against men
C) show he can handle the responsibility of a top 6 role in the NCAA, let alone the AHL, he's not even close to a top 6 role in the NHL at this point
D) show his skills can translate against players that aren't just development camp fodder, it's a lot easier to play your game when facing Johnny McFodderoth than when facing Shea Weber
Janko is 190 now. Not bad for a still 18 year old kid who was drafted at 165.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:59 PM
  #547
Captain Clutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
People on this board love to hate Jankowski but the fact is that he is a very skilled player. He played on a pretty poor Providence team (not sure how he ended up there of all places) and stood out as a freshman playing against much older guys. Now he didn't have a lot of production for sure but that will come. He is probably going to show up in Calgary for the 2015-2016 season at 6'4 215 and a really good play-making centerman, he will be a very valuable commodity at that point. Is he 1st line? probably not but he sure looks like he has the makings of a top quality 2nd line C who can skate, score, play two ways etc..not bad at all. 8.0 C is the rating I'd give him.

Captain Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  #548
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompton View Post
People on this board love to hate Jankowski but the fact is that he is a very skilled player. He played on a pretty poor Providence team (not sure how he ended up there of all places) and stood out as a freshman playing against much older guys. Now he didn't have a lot of production for sure but that will come. He is probably going to show up in Calgary for the 2015-2016 season at 6'4 215 and a really good play-making centerman, he will be a very valuable commodity at that point. Is he 1st line? probably not but he sure looks like he has the makings of a top quality 2nd line C who can skate, score, play two ways etc..not bad at all. 8.0 C is the rating I'd give him.
That's a first liner...

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
  #549
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompton View Post
People on this board love to hate Jankowski but the fact is that he is a very skilled player.
I think people just react to the overrating of Jankowski's skill by Flames fans. There are 9 other players from rounds 1+2 of his draft that outscored him in college last season.

9.

If his skill set and hockey IQ are high end/elite as claimed, then why isn't he using them to rise to the top of his draft class? There's a big disconnection between the verbal about Jankowski and his actual results.

Bank Shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  #550
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,747
vCash: 50
Screw Jankowski.

Jacob Trouba's 7.5C score is criminal.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.