HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Sochi Olympics Scandal; Most Expensive Olympics in History

Old
07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
I'm just hoping no athletes or fans get hurt because of the shoddy workmanship. The media was all over Vancouver when the Luge pilot died-and that had nothing to do with the workmanship, that was said to be a design issue which was rectified quickly (not knocking Van city at all, they did top notch facilities). I don't want to think of an athlete getting injured or worse on a course, or a stairway/roof collapsing on fans-that would just be beyond horrific.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:50 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
This is why I laugh when people try and say that the tourism/influx of visitors/money means that countries all over the economic spectrum can host he games.

The reality is that, even without absurd overages, the costs are so high that only first world economies have a hope of affording to build the venues needed.

07-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

There was/is an older thread on this. Here are a couple of posts from it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
The leader of Putin's main opposition is accusing his government of fraud, of theft & graft on a level that is beyond even Olympian proportions, and could in fact cause all kinds of problems in the execution of any number of events including of course hockey, safety & security of paramount concern. Heres but one article of many that have been hitting over the last day or so...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...i-olympics-all

Former French alpine skiing great Jean Claude Killy who now heads up the IOC Coordination Commission said "I dont recall an Olympics without corruption", going on to say that that doesnt make it right, but to be expected. However on the scale were talking about here, $30B missing, cost over-runs 5X's over budget, contracts awarded without tender etc etc etc, Investigators & Prosecutors now getting involved, could be some serious fallout, never mind shoddy construction practices that could result in some facilities jeopardizing the competitors & audiences safety, including of course the worlds premier hockey talents....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
These numbers should be taken with caution. It is the opposition talking here, their entire purpose is to be critical of everything Putin touches, good or bad. And since it is Russia and Putin we are talking about, they are going to get a lot of coverage, regardless of what evidence they have.

Contrast this with remarks made by IOC President Jacques Rogge, who said Russia is doing quite well in preparation for the Olympics.

Rogge: Russia on Track for Fantastic Sochi 2014

Regarding this, I would argue that since the Russian's are well aware that any incident would reflect very poorly on them, they are going to take every precaution to ensure nothing happens. There will likely be more security at Sochi than any Olympics prior, especially considering the region. Also consider that while the Caucasus have been a volatile region in the past, it is not as bad as it once was. The current President of Chechnya is a close ally of Putin and has a fairly strong grip on the region; while he obviously can't control everyone, it has made a difference. And while the guys from Boston were ethnically Chechen, they grew up in Kyrgyzstan and the US, and had little physical connection with Chechnya or the separatist movements there.

And while a few of you may be aware that Sochi is about 15km from the Georgian border, and Russia and Georgia fought a brief war in 2008, I would say that is an unfounded concern. First off, while it is the internationally recognised border of Georgia, the region is Abkhazia, a de facto independent state that has been free from Georgian control since the break up of the Soviet Union, and is a close ally of Russia (being one of only a few countries in the world to recognise Abkhazia as independent). Secondly, the new Georgian Prime Minister has recently said that he will provide any assistance to Russia regarding security that they want, if they are willing to cooperate in the matter. The Georgians aren't stupid; they won't attack the Olympics.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I can't believe they managed to spend more than Beijing. How is that even possible? The corruption thing is sort of par for the course with Russia and the Olympics in general, but the cost is staggering. That's $40 billion more than Vancouver, $46 billion more than Torino, $36 billion more than London! Their initial projections alone were more than twice what Chicago estimated they'd need to host the 2016 Games.

This is bad for the IOC. The number of bids for the Winter games have been falling in the past few cycles. The two favorites for 2022, Oslo and Munich, are holding referendums to approve financing and as the numbers for Sochi come out, the opinion polls get worse.
I think people in those countries can see past the figures. It's a combination of not the most ideal location, completely building everything from ground up, corruption and typical Russian piss poor infrastructure planning/building. Oslo and München would have most venues in in place already, bringing the cost down considerably.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
That's crazy. Can't wait to hear how much they're going to spend on the 2018 World Cup.
It won't matter. Sotshi and the 2018 WC are just as politically fueled as Beijing was.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

This never surprises me. Take it from someone that knows. You haven't been ripped off in your life until you've been ripped off at the Olympics.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I was at the Paralympics last summer, which had Olympicesque attendance levels, and the scale of thing was monumental. It was clearly a massive, massive undertaking for London. But at the same time, the number of events at the Winter games is so much lower. I'm guessing most of this money got lost somewhere...

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I was at the Paralympics last summer, which had Olympicesque attendance levels, and the scale of thing was monumental. It was clearly a massive, massive undertaking for London. But at the same time, the number of events at the Winter games is so much lower. I'm guessing most of this money got lost somewhere...
Yes.... lost.... Here in Vancouver during the 2019 Winter Games, the Russians had a Pavilion setup to promote the Sochi Games, and I can tell you anecdotally that they were throwing money around town like Chiclets. No expense spared. All of the furnishings, banks upon banks of LED screens, food, booze, gifts of $20,000 wrist watches, beyond imagining. Friend of mine owns a high-end, and I mean super high end furniture out here. In an hour, one of the delegation dropped over $300,000 on a few sticks of furniture, some chairs, a couch. Event staff decked out in Dolce & Gabbana, Armani. Fleets of top end Merc's, Audi's rented. Choppers chartered. Penthouse suites in Vancouver & Whistler. A lot of the stuff that went on unfit for a PG site like this one Brodie. Only thing missing were the Baby Giraffes.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I'm just hoping no athletes or fans get hurt because of the shoddy workmanship. The media was all over Vancouver when the Luge pilot died-and that had nothing to do with the workmanship, that was said to be a design issue which was rectified quickly (not knocking Van city at all, they did top notch facilities). I don't want to think of an athlete getting injured or worse on a course, or a stairway/roof collapsing on fans-that would just be beyond horrific.
This plus security is going to be the death-knell of these games. It's going to be a train wreck (perhaps literally!).

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Yes.... lost.... Here in Vancouver during the 2019 Winter Games, the Russians had a Pavilion setup to promote the Sochi Games, and I can tell you anecdotally that they were throwing money around town like Chiclets. No expense spared. All of the furnishings, banks upon banks of LED screens, food, booze, gifts of $20,000 wrist watches, beyond imagining. Friend of mine owns a high-end, and I mean super high end furniture out here. In an hour, one of the delegation dropped over $300,000 on a few sticks of furniture, some chairs, a couch. Event staff decked out in Dolce & Gabbana, Armani. Fleets of top end Merc's, Audi's rented. Choppers chartered. Penthouse suites in Vancouver & Whistler. A lot of the stuff that went on unfit for a PG site like this one Brodie. Only thing missing were the Baby Giraffes.
Tell you us managed to snag one of those beauty watches?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
If it changes one person's pre-conceived "sterotype" of Russia, Putin will declare it 50 billion well spent.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Tell you us managed to snag one of those beauty watches?
... way too much Bling for my tastes Tl. Know a guy who got one. Impressive. Oversized chronograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
If it changes one person's pre-conceived "stereotype" of Russia, Putin will declare it 50 billion well spent.
... lets just hope they pull it off without any facilities crashing down around peoples ears. Thats the scary part. Corruption you just take as the norm, and on the grandest of grand scales, but building codes, workmanship, materials used, that right there cause for concern.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Opulence. They haz it!

(Sorry, it had to be done.)

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Opulence. They haz it!
Yepp... www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBOq-skoi1c