HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Steven Santini vs Samuel Morin

Old
07-15-2013, 05:43 PM
SMantzas
Next Star?

vCash: 500
Steven Santini vs Samuel Morin

Better prospect?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I'm a big Santini fan. I think he'll turn out to be the better player.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
tony d
The man

Both should be good but give me Morin here.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Duffman955

Santini for me. Has much better shutdown ability and puck handling skills.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Santini for me. Has much better shutdown ability and puck handling skills.
I'd take the guy who has a reasonable track record of production.

Santini has been described as a ZERO offense player.

While I don't think the gap is huge, the upside is infinitely higher for Morin.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
SMantzas
Next Star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'd take the guy who has a reasonable track record of production.

Santini has been described as a ZERO offense player.

While I don't think the gap is huge, the upside is infinitely higher for Morin.
16 pts in the Q is not a reasonable track record of production

Santini also was awarded best Dman of the WJC U18

Old
07-15-2013, 06:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
16 pts in the Q is not a reasonable track record of production

Santini also was awarded best Dman of the WJC U18
I should sell you a car if you only look at the bottom line.

I realize your a Devils fan and are just looking to make your prospect look good vs a higher drafted player. I think most on here, even those that thought Morin was drafted way too high would agree with my point, but to each their own.

Cheers

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:27 PM
ZKass The Bass

Santini

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I'm not a fan of Morin and I'm a huge Santini fan so the choice is obvious for me: Steven Santini!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:06 PM
usascout1

Santini.

usascout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:08 PM
EagleBelfour

Another vote for Santini.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Another vote for Santini.
Santini hasn't really developed very much during the past year. He's simply a smart, steady defenseman with a physical edge. He reminds me a bit of Mark Stuart.

Morin on the other hand really advanced his game towards the end of the year, particularly in the playoffs and U18s. He has a lot more room to grow his game overall than Santini, IMO.

They're both solid defensively and at a similar level at this point. The difference is Morin has a lot more potential for rapid growth in the next few years, whereas I see Santini continuing his solid approach into college and ultimately the Pros.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
AuraSphere

Morin, haven't really seen Santini. All ik is he went in the second round :/

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Santini hasn't really developed very much during the past year. He's simply a smart, steady defenseman with a physical edge. He reminds me a bit of Mark Stuart.

Morin on the other hand really advanced his game towards the end of the year, particularly in the playoffs and U18s. He has a lot more room to grow his game overall than Santini, IMO.

They're both solid defensively and at a similar level at this point. The difference is Morin has a lot more potential for rapid growth in the next few years, whereas I see Santini continuing his solid approach into college and ultimately the Pros.
Didn't Santini win best defensman at the U-18?? saying he hasn't really developed is really harsh, and saying he is like Stuart is also really harsh. Morin COULD be Chara,but he could also end up like hal gill, Santini is a cerebral, do-it-right defensman, he's not flashy and you wont notice him but he will munch up crazy minutes against the oppositions best players, as you said he also has a physical edge. He's nothing like Stuart IMO.

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:30 PM
SMantzas
Next Star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Didn't Santini win best defensman at the U-18?? saying he hasn't really developed is really harsh, and saying he is like Stuart is also really harsh. Morin COULD be Chara,but he could also end up like hal gill, Santini is a cerebral, do-it-right defensman, he's not flashy and you wont notice him but he will munch up crazy minutes against the oppositions best players, as you said he also has a physical edge. He's nothing like Stuart IMO.
Is the McDonagh comparison apt? Obviously he has a looong way to go

Old
07-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Konk

Quote:
Having watched both Stuart and Santini at the same age with the USNTDP, I think it's a very apt comparison. Did you watch both at the same stage of development? Considering your overuse of punctuation in reaction to my comparison, I'd venture to guess you only watched Stuart as a pro where his shortcomings were exposed. Santini is a better skater and smarter about picking his spots when throwing hits, but overall very similar at that age.

Santini was considered a possible 1st rounder a few years ago, but his offense never developed. Do you disagree? His defense has continued to progress, but he's not made the leaps and bounds in development that Morin made last year.

I'm not saying where his upside is, because no one knows, however, Morin has more tools and more room for growth. Yes, he could wind up AHL fodder. So could Santini.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
hab 4ever

Clearly Morin. lol.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

Both impressed me at the U18s, but I personally like Morin more. He's still very raw at this point, and I think there's a lot of untapped potential there.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:19 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Having watched both Stuart and Santini at the same age with the USNTDP, I think it's a very apt comparison. Did you watch both at the same stage of development? Considering your overuse of punctuation in reaction to my comparison, I'd venture to guess you only watched Stuart as a pro where his shortcomings were exposed. Santini is a better skater and smarter about picking his spots when throwing hits, but overall very similar at that age.

Santini was considered a possible 1st rounder a few years ago, but his offense never developed. Do you disagree? His defense has continued to progress, but he's not made the leaps and bounds in development that Morin made last year.

I'm not saying where his upside is, because no one knows, however, Morin has more tools and more room for growth. Yes, he could wind up AHL fodder. So could Santini.
I have no clue how that has any effect on the discussion. But no I didn't watch Stuart as a USNTDP member AT THE TIME , but I have been able to re-watch 1 or 2 games and no, they aren't similar at all IMO. Obviously if you have seen Stuart more than once or twice then you could have a better grasp of the situation. Morin has more tools yes, but Santini has the tool box if that makes any sense. The challenge for Morin would be to learn how to use those tools in which situation, Santini already has quite a grasp of that concept. I really don't think Morin's rise makes him better than Santini, offense can be taught/improved, however defensive awareness and all of Santini's prime assets can not.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:20 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Is the McDonagh comparison apt? Obviously he has a looong way to go
I think it's fair in terms of playing style, but Santini won't become a #1 all-around D-man like McDonagh, but he could become a "mini-McDonagh"

Old
07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
KJS14

Quote:
I have no clue how that has any effect on the discussion. But no I didn't watch Stuart as a USNTDP member AT THE TIME , but I have been able to re-watch 1 or 2 games and no, they aren't similar at all IMO. Obviously if you have seen Stuart more than once or twice then you could have a better grasp of the situation. Morin has more tools yes, but Santini has the tool box if that makes any sense. The challenge for Morin would be to learn how to use those tools in which situation, Santini already has quite a grasp of that concept. I really don't think Morin's rise makes him better than Santini, offense can be taught/improved, however defensive awareness and all of Santini's prime assets can not.
That's the exact opposite of what most scouts and coaches say. You can't teach a player to be a scorer, but you can teach him to be defensively sound. Regardless, neither are offensive defensemen.

Edit: You also can't teach a player to be 6'6.

KJS14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:28 PM
americanscout09

I think santini is better by a landslide. I know you may think I am being biased given my name is "americanscout" but Sanitini is a great player and having met him a couple of times he is also a great kid. He is smart with the puck and I truly think he deserves more credit on his offensive abilities as he always makes a great first pass and has a solid shot form the blue line.

americanscout09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:29 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
That's the exact opposite of what most scouts and coaches say. You can't teach a player to be a scorer, but you can teach him to be defensively sound. Regardless, neither are offensive defensemen.
I meant as in, making smarter plays in the offensive zone and knowing when to pinch and join the offense with better timing, improving his shot and working on getting shot's through traffic. Small things.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:30 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post

Edit: You also can't teach a player to be 6'6.
Can you teach a player how to properly use his size?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
KJS14

Quote:
I meant as in, making smarter plays in the offensive zone and knowing when to pinch and join the offense with better timing, improving his shot and working on getting shot's through traffic. Small things.
Ok, my mistake. You can certainly teach positioning, form, timing, etc.

Quote:
Can you teach a player how to properly use his size?
You can certainly teach him HOW to use it effectively. Whether he is able to use it effectively or not is a different story.

KJS14 is online now   Reply With Quote