HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 01:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
I think Biggs compares more to Connor Crisp than MacCaron...

Old
07-15-2013, 02:30 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Why should he run them over when he can simply do this?

That was a nice goal....if McCarron can do that even one time in the NHL I will be happy we drafted the big guy

Old
07-15-2013, 02:36 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I couldn't care less if he's penciled top 10 RIGHT NOW....I prefer to wati and see a "2013 draft revisited" in a couple of years and THEN see him in there in due time....LIke I keep saying, it is a great exercice to name the winning taems of the draft one day after and see who should or shouldn't have gone where.....But revisiting drafts is funnier as it's the real score of your draft. How many guys in each drafts ends up top 15 that weren't there at draft day? Plenty....let's wish the big guy makes the list. And people....even if he doesn't....I'd take McCarron at the same exact freakin spot than we picked him. If in the revisitation he doesn't move and hasn't been surpassed, it means it's all good. And in the end, what counts is the job he does WITH US. Some might have more crucial needs in other places than we do. We had a big problem in that department thanks to the last 10 years of this org. who didn't beleive in it. How many big power forwards have we been able to draft and develop over the past so many years?

Which brings the point....before we judge a present organization or scouting group for addressing needs instead of suppose BPA....just remember that sometimes, you have to correct mistakes that were made before. Not always the fault or the problem of the present administration. Just like we've been saying that Gainey didn't have it easy thanks to Houle, well we don't have it easy also thanks to the ones before.
Ooh man what you say is so TRUE. I hope when we look back in 3-5 years this draft is the turning point for the Habs to be a true contender for Lord Stanely

Old
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
Ooh man what you say is so TRUE. I hope when we look back in 3-5 years this draft is the turning point for the Habs to be a true contender for Lord Stanely
Considering how well they did, shouldn't the 2007 draft have been the turning point for the Habs to be a true contender NOW?

If anything, last year's draft will have more impact on the team than this one... I don't see anyone that will come close to having the impact Galchenyuk will.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think Biggs compares more to Connor Crisp than MacCaron...
Not quite. Biggs is 10 times the player Crisp is....

Old
07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Considering how well they did, shouldn't the 2007 draft have been the turning point for the Habs to be a true contender NOW?

If anything, last year's draft will have more impact on the team than this one... I don't see anyone that will come close to having the impact Galchenyuk will.
I have to agree. 2007 and 2012 are more a stepping stone than 2013. Even if I thought we had enough picks to be a team changing draft. It should be very good. But it will be really tough to beat the quality/quantity ratio of McDo/Subban/MaxPac and the superior quality of Galchenyuk. And if you add a Collberg in that draft....just wow. Yet, 2013 could be remember for 2 things: The emergence of our first power forward since I don't know how many years. And maybe, just maybe, our next starting goalie permitting us to deal the present one in due time, getting THEN the other pieces needed to go far. But that's not short term. Then, there are also pieces in there that covers a lot of things, from defensive player to really talented forwards as well. Tons of depth in that 2013. Quality wise...I agree, 2007 and 2012...tough to beat.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I have to agree. 2007 and 2012 are more a stepping stone than 2013. Even if I thought we had enough picks to be a team changing draft. It should be very good. But it will be really tough to beat the quality/quantity ratio of McDo/Subban/MaxPac and the superior quality of Galchenyuk. And if you add a Collberg in that draft....just wow. Yet, 2013 could be remember for 2 things: The emergence of our first power forward since I don't know how many years. And maybe, just maybe, our next starting goalie permitting us to deal the present one in due time, getting THEN the other pieces needed to go far. But that's not short term. Then, there are also pieces in there that covers a lot of things, from defensive player to really talented forwards as well. Tons of depth in that 2013. Quality wise...I agree, 2007 and 2012...tough to beat.
The Habs had two first round picks in 2007, both higher than #25. We don't know whether any of the 2013 picks will equal those two but it's too early to tell. As you say, Fucale seems to be the preeminent goaltender in the 2013 draft. He doesn't necessarily have to replace Price to be a valuable commodity. He might turn out to be another Schneider, who was traded for the #9 pick in 2013.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs had two first round picks in 2007, both higher than #25. We don't know whether any of the 2013 picks will equal those two but it's too early to tell. As you say, Fucale seems to be the preeminent goaltender in the 2013 draft. He doesn't necessarily have to replace Price to be a valuable commodity. He might turn out to be another Schneider, who was traded for the #9 pick in 2013.
Even if they had 2 picks, you had "room" enough to make 2 mistakes. Pick Plante because you want a big d-man and then go with White because you love the skills and you are screwed. But we do have Timmins so there's no chance he does that even if his 1st roundesr are not his cup of tea....Yet, it's not awful either.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hey, just thought of something, although it may have been discussed already. Last year there was a TV special following the Saskatton blades where we got to follow their team on the road to the memorial cup. If there's a similar special this year, we can get a few glimpses of McCarron behind the scenes.
The Hunters and the O were approached and seemed open to the idea with a little tweaking from the Saskatoon series.
Portrayed image will be an issue. They'll probably tone down the "violence" of hockey for this show.
As long as the Hunters and the league get editing powers I'm hoping well see it.
Going to be a good year here in London!

Old
07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Not quite. Biggs is 10 times the player Crisp is....
Erie season ticket holder?

Old
07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
aresknights

Im really looking forward to seeing MacAttack progress under the Hunters this year.
He's definitely got things to work on ( as does every 18 player) Mark and Dale will teach him how to play a pro game. He'll be taught all the tricks of the trade. Very rarely do players not develop here. ( usually attitude type kids) Many short term Knights have expressed learning more about the game, how to do things right and how to win here than anywhere else. He'll be brought along as quickly as is warranted. ( I expect PT early-- a reg shift top 6)
Dale will find a fit for him with line mates, and I guess he'll get PP time off the hop (thou maybe 2nd unit to start)
London, the last couple years have had lines that love to cycle and wear down the oppositon, seemingly part of Mcs game. They teach it well- how to protect the puck ect....
He'll learn to play in a system that'll require Fs to play 200 ft
I've had season tics for 15yrs and its one of a couple seasons I just can't wait to start.

Now hopefully Bo and Domi get returned lol.

Ill also keep an eye on DLR if he reports to the "hated" Spits. Hopefully he shows and I get to see him bout 10 times this year

Old
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Im really looking forward to seeing MacAttack progress under the Hunters this year.
He's definitely got things to work on ( as does every 18 player) Mark and Dale will teach him how to play a pro game. He'll be taught all the tricks of the trade. Very rarely do players not develop here. ( usually attitude type kids) Many short term Knights have expressed learning more about the game, how to do things right and how to win here than anywhere else. He'll be brought along as quickly as is warranted. ( I expect PT early-- a reg shift top 6)
Dale will find a fit for him with line mates, and I guess he'll PP time off the hope ( thou maybe 2nd unit to start)
London, the last couple years have had lines that love to cycle and wear down the oppositon, seemingly part of Mcs game. They teach it well- how to protect the puck ect....
He'll learn to play in a system that'll require Fs to play 200 ft
I've had season tics for 15yrs and its one of a couple seasons I just can't wait to start.
Reading this is so encouraging, McCarron couldn't have asked for a better fit than London. Hopefully he develops some kind of mean streak with Hunter.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
aresknights

He'll be allowed to "go" but in no way will he be encouraged to only play a tough game.
The Hunters will tolerate hard play and encourage it but hell be expected to produce and play 200 ft. It's all good.
The OHL has a new rule as of last year that sees increasing discipline for every fight after 10 ( instigated upon doesn't count) As well they are extreme tough on "big" hits , head shots ect. ( often very inconsistent thou)
He may to find that line that's allowed here but Hunters will let him find his way.
I just hope he doesn't feel the need to get in a bunch of scraps early, he's been talking and lesser skill guys will come knocking. He's got to pick his spots wisely.
Well have a couple guys that'll share the "protect" role

Old
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Now... Combining our 2012 and 2013 drafts is what I feel will make us a contender for a good long while. The forwards drafted in the last 2 drafts and the d-men drafted in 2010 & 2011 should give us a solid foundation.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Now... Combining our 2012 and 2013 drafts is what I feel will make us a contender for a good long while. The forwards drafted in the last 2 drafts and the d-men drafted in 2010 & 2011 should give us a solid foundation.
Yes, which is why MB not trading any mid and up picks wasn't in the cards this Draft. MB took over a team that finished last, you have to believe he has 5 years to put it together. If you figure the non-blue chip draft pick takes 3-4 years before they make the leap into the NHL on a fairly regular basis if they have talent, the 2013 Draft is the last one where MB can almost be assured that if we made some good picks those players will be contributing before those 5 years are up, or be good enough to trade to get us something we need.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
marchabsfan

homer alert..!

Old
07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

McCarron was supposed to be on tsn 690 radio today, it got pushed to tomorrow at around 5:30 if anyone wants to listen in..

Old
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Throne View Post
McCarron was supposed to be on tsn 690 radio today, it got pushed to tomorrow at around 5:30 if anyone wants to listen in..
Wow thanks man, didn't know this. Just perfect, my day is over at 5:15.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Wow thanks man, didn't know this. Just perfect, my day is over at 5:15.
No problem...something to do during the drive home, or traffic

Old
07-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Sthabs

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=19

Marinaro and Marc Hunter in a 13 min podcast
some interesting stuff, basically hunter says patience, let the man grow and take some confidence, he s been followinghim for years, says he believes he has the hockey iq and hands.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
JonathanToews19clutc*

Mark Hunter just said on TSN690 that Habs 1st round pick Michael McCarron will play on a line with Bo Horvat & Max Domi

Old
07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Mark Hunter just said on TSN690 that Habs 1st round pick Michael McCarron will play on a line with Bo Horvat & Max Domi
Well holy ****. That will be fun to watch.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well holy ****. That will be fun to watch.
Assuming those 2 are back in juniors. You never know.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Assuming those 2 are back in juniors. You never know.
That's true, although I'd be very surprised if either one made the jump.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=19

Marinaro and Marc Hunter in a 13 min podcast
some interesting stuff, basically hunter says patience, let the man grow and take some confidence, he s been followinghim for years, says he believes he has the hockey iq and hands.
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

I liked what Mark had to say, especially emphasizing patience in a few different aspects like being a mean, physical player at the next level, and with the development of his skills. I firmly believe Mike made the right choice.

Closed Thread