HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Old
07-03-2013, 10:19 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

vCash: 500
Absolutely loving this game except for the parts where you're locked in a room and have to fight off waves of infected. Ugh.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:36 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It's the problem of having clickers in close proximity to each other.
Nothing annoys me more than the Stalkers (essentially a Runner/Clicker hybrid) they look so much like clickers that I end up wasting precious shivs on them.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

I haven't been addicted to a game like this in a long ass time, haven't moved off my couch all day . Just got to Pittsburgh, i'm playing on hard as well.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Shadowtron

Love it.. but I take a star away for it being on rails and being too video gamy with some situations. I sneak up on a guy walking with a weapon and choke him out. He falls and either drops two bullets from a weapon he's not carrying or nothing at all. Where'd the gun go. It's like early gaming lol. But aside from those quibbles it's a very well done game with a very heart felt story.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Love it.. but I take a star away for it being on rails and being too video gamy with some situations. I sneak up on a guy walking with a weapon and choke him out. He falls and either drops two bullets from a weapon he's not carrying or nothing at all. Where'd the gun go. It's like early gaming lol. But aside from those quibbles it's a very well done game with a very heart felt story.
Maybe he found two bullets somewhere and decided to hold onto them until he found a gun? Or he could have been holding onto them until he found someone to give them to though I think my first theory makes more sense. You find two bullets in this world and your going to hold onto them, I would assume they'd almost be like gold in this world unless you found a military storage facility.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Maybe he found two bullets somewhere and decided to hold onto them until he found a gun? Or he could have been holding onto them until he found someone to give them to though I think my first theory makes more sense. You find two bullets in this world and your going to hold onto them, I would assume they'd almost be like gold in this world unless you found a military storage facility.
We can certainly write the script...but that's not really what I was driving at. If you're hunting with, say, a rifle...and I sneak up behind you and choke you out you drop the rifle...not two revolver shells. It's a bit of outdated gaming (strictly imo of course) for an enemy to not drop his weapon and/or me unable to use it until I get to a certain point in the game. He's 20 years into the apocalypse...and he's just "discovering" the rifle....shotty...etc. A little too raily for me.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 07-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:53 AM
awesomo
HARD!

**** i just beat it, but holy **** that game was hard

i borrowed a ps3 from a friend just to play this game

pounded through it in 3 days, story was so good

Last edited by awesomo: 07-13-2013 at 03:04 AM.
awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
We can certainly write the script...but that's not really what I was driving at. If you're hunting with, say, a rifle...and I sneak up behind you and choke you out you drop the rifle...not two revolver shells. It's a bit of outdated gaming (strictly imo of course) for an enemy to not drop his weapon and/or me unable to use it until I get to a certain point in the game. He's 20 years into the apocalypse...and he's just "discovering" the rifle....shotty...etc. A little too raily for me.
Or the fact that the enemies always seemingly have unlimited ammo, yet I kill them and apparently they dont have any. I mean the difficulty level being on Hard shouldnt effect something like that.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:56 PM
glasgow26

Just beat the game this afternoon. Absolutely incredible. Going to have to digest that ending for a little while, as I think there are several different ways to interpret it.

This game is such a powerful piece of storytelling. I don't think I've ever seen characters written with so much depth.

From a gameplay standpoint the game was pretty average, but they absolutely nailed the story and characters, and the visuals are obviously terrific as well.

glasgow26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

The gameplay is nothing spectacular. It just does a good job of not getting in the way.

On the second playthrough you really start to see the mechanics get exposed.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I'm in Pittsburgh right now...the story is written extremely well and the characters are amazing

has the "Uncharted" feel to the game yet it's nothing like it....and I don't mind the "on the rails" aspects of the game cause it keeps the pace of the game tight and focused

excellent game...best game of the year and one of the best on PS3 (still love Red Dead Redemption the most...)

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Played through it once, only got 2% of the trophies though, so I loaded it up in a harder difficulty and prepared myself to do some grinding...played about 20 minutes and turned it off, I have no desire to keep playing, it's a great game, but I don't see any replay value. Maybe in a year or so I'll feel differently.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Just finished it and I feel like I got a different game than everyone else

It wasn't a bad game but I wouldn't say its the best game of the year.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Just finished it and I feel like I got a different game than everyone else

It wasn't a bad game but I wouldn't say its the best game of the year.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm only halfway through the game but I just don't understand the hype. I was really excited to play this game after reading what everyone was saying about it, but I'd say The Walking Dead (the Telltale one, not the **** garbage by Activision) has it beat so far. I'm hoping it picks up in the second half though.

Good game? Yeah.
Best of the year? I don't see it...yet?

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

I just beat it. (Bought a used PS3 exclusively to play this game.)

Game of the year for me beating out even Bioshock Infinite which I enjoyed a hell of a lot. Great storytelling and amazing gameplay.

RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm only halfway through the game but I just don't understand the hype. I was really excited to play this game after reading what everyone was saying about it, but I'd say The Walking Dead (the Telltale one, not the **** garbage by Activision) has it beat so far. I'm hoping it picks up in the second half though.

Good game? Yeah.
Well The Walking Dead was a 2012 game anyway...

And I loved TWD, but The Last of Us has so much more to offer. Better gameplay, just as good of story (maybe even a little better because it flows better), and it also has an excellent multiplayer mode that beefs it up.

Both games were extremely emotional for me though! Love them both!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post

Good game? Yeah.
It took me a while to finally slug through the game.

While the story was good, I was never really caught up in it until about 3/4 of the way through.

As the story climaxes the characters stories and how they affect the emotions of the player changes big time.

Took me a few weeks to get to the point of about 75% through the game. Took me a night to knock off the rest.

Slug through it, the end result is pretty enjoyable.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Thinking about renting this from redbox for a couple of days to see if I like it...

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Heisenberg77

One thing that is glaring to me, with all of these great reviews, nobody harped on the fact that there is no cover system in this game. The camera work when turning corners is awful, and the lack of a "stick to wall/doorway" button really exposes that.

The gameplay really is nothing special to me. The story and the intensity is what really carry the game.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Just rented this from redbox. Had a promo code so it only cost me .80 cents to rent it for the day. Loving it so far. The intro was intense.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:09 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
One thing that is glaring to me, with all of these great reviews, nobody harped on the fact that there is no cover system in this game. The camera work when turning corners is awful, and the lack of a "stick to wall/doorway" button really exposes that.

The gameplay really is nothing special to me. The story and the intensity is what really carry the game.
All you have to do is walk up against an object and you'll enter cover automatically. I thought the cover system was actually really well done.

07-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
All you have to do is walk up against an object and you'll enter cover automatically. I thought the cover system was actually really well done.
Exactly. Flowed quite well. Didn't have to play with any buttons just go to a wall or piece of cover and your golden.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Finally got a copy, played for 5 hours today. I'm loving every minute of it.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:14 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Yeah I like how when you're crouched and walk by things he sticks his hands out and touches them as he goes by. Very fluid and realistic.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I really hope they make a sequel to this. I'm thinking:

Spoil:
New characters, but they meet up with Joel and Ellie along the way for a little bit, so we get a glimpse of how they're doing. I think that would be better than bringing them back as the main characters.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote