HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL vs. KHL

Old
07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Moore Money

vCash: 500
only if Jeremy Roenick comes out of retirement.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Maybe if players really felt the nhl was superior, they'd be less likely to defect to the khl.
There isn't a player in any league globally under any illusions of the KHL being the superior league.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:03 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

maybe they need the super cup? like a super bowl?

aloonda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
maybe they need the super cup? like a super bowl?
Super Saiyan Stanley Cup?

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:21 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Why would the NHL ever stoop to admitting that another league was their equal?

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
TMLrule*

I think it would be amazing. We could incorporate other leagues and make it like Champions league. But just the NHL vs KHL a 7 game series for some type of championship.

It would be cool, I'd watch it.

TMLrule* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

I don't see the point. Besides who would want to see their teams players get hurt in a meaningless game? The only way I see this type of thing happening is if the NHL has a European division/conference or else what do they gain?

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Balance

Small ice - NHL team wins
Big ice - KHL team wins

Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:32 PM
TMLrule*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
I don't see the point. Besides who would want to see their teams players get hurt in a meaningless game? The only way I see this type of thing happening is if the NHL has a European division/conference or else what do they gain?
Give the game meaning, like a championship. It could be huge for the sport. The world juniors have no meaning either but people watch it because its entertaining. The best KHL team vs the best NHL team would entertaining.

If nobody takes the game seriously like an all-star game obviously it will be boring but if they try like world juniors it would be fun and exciting.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLrule View Post
Give the game meaning, like a championship. It could be huge for the sport. The world juniors have no meaning either but people watch it because its entertaining. The best KHL team vs the best NHL team would entertaining.

If nobody takes the game seriously like an all-star game obviously it will be boring but if they try like world juniors it would be fun and exciting.
I don't think the NHL players (and possibly the KHL players either) would care unless there was a financial reward. Give the winning team like $10,000,000 to divide up and you might have something. This tournament would have no historical significance because it is new, the players would have to play during their off-season and they have to risk getting hurt and jeopardizing their careers. So the only way I see to make players want to compete is for a large cash prize for the winner.

Also you are taking the team that won the Stanley Cup, who already played 20+ games more than half the league and making them play another set of games with traveling half way around the world. The Cup champs would hate this and feel it would be a terrible disadvantage for the next season.

Last edited by Beau Knows: 07-15-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 10:52 PM
TMLrule*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
I don't think the NHL players (and possibly the KHL players either) would care unless there was a financial reward. Give the winning team like $10,000,000 to divide up and you might have something. This tournament would have no historical significance because it is new, the players would have to play during their off-season and they have to risk getting hurt and jeopardizing their careers. So the only way I see to make players want to compete is for a large cash prize for the winner.

Also you are taking the team that won the Stanley Cup, who already played 20+ games more than half the league and making them play another set of games with traveling half way around the world. The Cup champs would hate this and feel it would be a terrible disadvantage for the next season.
Im sure they could set up a schedule that would work. Plus it doesn't have to be a series it could be 1 game.

Also players play in the Olympics with no cash reward so Im sure they wouldn't mind playing in a game to represent the NHL.

It will most likely never happen but you can't deny its a cool idea and you'd watch it.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Im sure they could set up a schedule that would work. Plus it doesn't have to be a series it could be 1 game.

Also players play in the Olympics with no cash reward so Im sure they wouldn't mind playing in a game to represent the NHL.

It will most likely never happen but you can't deny its a cool idea and you'd watch it.
The thing about the Olympics is that players are proud of their countries, I don't know if they have all that much pride for a their league. And players know they will be vilified if they turn down a spot on the Olympic team so even if they wanted to skip, they can't really. Most don't play in the World Championships because they don't care, their season is over, the Canadian and American fans don't care and they don't get paid.

And there can be financial rewards for the Olympics, I'm sure the cost of endorsements with Crosby have shot up after 30,000,000 Canadians watched him score the winner. I don't think a KHL/NHL championship would get the kind of viewers in NA for it to do that.

I would watch it if their was no other NHL or high level international hockey on. But I wouldn't care about the result. If my team was in it I would just hope for no injuries to my teams players.

I would just continue on with preseason games against teams from different leagues. Does anyone even watch those?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:

The Olympics are the Olympics.

This is more like a poor man's version of the World Championships, only worse because you'll probably just piss off a lot of players if you want the Cup Champs to be involved.

07-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Funny that Kovalchuk would be the inspiration for that debate, since Kovy just called the NHL the strongest league in the world and one of his latest reason for going to the KHL seems he thinks he has a better chance of winning a championship there than in the NHL.

Quote:
“I am very pleased that I played so long in the strongest league in the world, he said. “But I wasn’t able to win the Stanley Cup. I was close last year, and experienced the challenge of the NHL playoffs.
Quote:
“I still have the will and desire and passion for hockey. I have never in my career been a league champion. I hope I can make it happen in St. Petersburg.

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:58 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Teams are already battered by the end of the playoffs and dealing with a very short offseason potentially leading to a hangover as it is. Don't think that there'd be much interest or incentive for the Stanley Cup champs to play a series against the Gagarin Cup champs.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:38 AM
mikko1995

If they wanted to do this, the best time for the game to be played would probably be during the pre-season.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:41 AM
MMANumminen

Summit series? Why not? For big pile of money.

Maybe in the future when more european teams join KHL. KHL all-stars vs NHL all-stars?

MMANumminen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:46 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

NHL would have nothing to gain from this. If they win, it's not only expected, but a bit like a cruiserwieght beating up a featherweight. If they lose, it's a disaster. And either way, they're contributing to the growth of a competitor while doing bupkiss to raise their own profile in markets they're looking to grow in.

It's a lose-lose proposition for the NHL and a win-win proposition for the KHL.

Medvedev has actually proposed this, by the way, for exactly this reason.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:47 AM
TheSlovenian

The best players in the world want's to play in the NHL, so NHL clearly wins.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:51 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Maybe if players really felt the nhl was superior, they'd be less likely to defect to the khl.
You need to understand that Kovalchuk fits into a particular classification that hardly anybody does--a guy it makes sense to overbid the NHL and incur huge losses on for the purposes of international marketing. The KHL can only maintain a handful of guys like this on its rosters at a time.

His salary exceeds about half of the team payrolls in that league and is thought to be 65% of the KHL cap ceiling. He's an abnormality.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:10 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

I would really like something for this to happen. It could be a 2-3-2 format. NHL champs vs. KHL champs. Bragging rights for outright best team in the world. Can you imagine the ratings? Americans vs. the Russians. Capitalist pigs vs. Communist *******s. Oh my gosh I'm salivating. The return of Kovy to the US to face his American peers. NHL sized ice in America then Olympic sized ice in the KHL. 2 NA refs, 2 KHL refs.

Hell, make it an outdoor game in Yankee stadium. This game or series could really sell. Write it into every NHL player's contracts that if they win the cup, they'll have to play a cross-border series with a KHL team. This could really sell if both leagues take it seriously and want to make money. After all, look at the 1980 miracle and look at how big that was. It was big because we were cold war enemies at the time and in a sense, we still are to this day. I'd give my left nut to see this happen. I really would.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
Isn't the KHL more lax when it comes to things like headshots, or am I remembering that wrong?
Headshots have actually been strictly punished in the KHL/RSL since the beginning of times.

On topic, a short (bo3 or 4-game) SC champ vs GC champ series would be nice.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:31 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

SC champ vs GC champ series = huge money from ads/tv = great for both leagues

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:46 AM
buckridesagain*

Anaheim played Jokerit in a pre-season exhibition and it turned out to be great! While it sounds awesome I don't think we'll ever see an NHL team play a khl team.

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:51 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckridesagain View Post
While it sounds awesome I don't think we'll ever see an NHL team play a khl team.
It has happened twice already!

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote