HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Leafs to Extend Husqy Phil)

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
What is your guys opinion on drafting Russians in the future. This whole Ilya thing has completely changed my opinion. I hope the Sabres never draft another Russian again. I would be so mad if our star player just took off to Russia randomly. I could totally see Grigs doing it in the future.
I think it's a factor for logistical purposes rather than racist stereotypes. They have a league that's based in their country, it pays well, and it's picking up steam with acquisition of talent like Kovalchuk (and to a smaller extent, Radulov). It's fair to say that that's a risk, especially now that Kovalchuk has set some precedent.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:35 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
What is your guys opinion on drafting Russians in the future. This whole Ilya thing has completely changed my opinion. I hope the Sabres never draft another Russian again. I would be so mad if our star player just took off to Russia randomly. I could totally see Grigs doing it in the future.
#1. You have no idea what Grigerenko's allegiances or motivation are.
#2. Each Player is different. Saying that every russian wants to bolt to the KHL the first chance they get is like saying every Canadian player is going to be a gritty, hard working, heart and soul player. Just. Not. True.

Because one player decided to effectively retire from the NHL doesn't mean every player from overseas is looking to bolt. Sure, if we drafted a player like Nikushin who was unwilling to come and play in the AHL because he'd rather play in the KHL and make more money (or be closer to home), then I'd have some reservations about drafting him. But, in Grigerenko's case, he made a choice to come to the CHL and hasn't done anything but do exactly what has been asked of him since being drafted. I have no more fear of him bolting to the KHL than I do Myers bolting to the KHL at this point. Sure it COULD happen, but just because a player is from Russia doesn't mean they don't want to play in the US

Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
#1. You have no idea what Grigerenko's allegiances or motivation are.
#2. Each Player is different. Saying that every russian wants to bolt to the KHL the first chance they get is like saying every Canadian player is going to be a gritty, hard working, heart and soul player. Just. Not. True.

Because one player decided to effectively retire from the NHL doesn't mean every player from overseas is looking to bolt. Sure, if we drafted a player like Nikushin who was unwilling to come and play in the AHL because he'd rather play in the KHL and make more money (or be closer to home), then I'd have some reservations about drafting him. But, in Grigerenko's case, he made a choice to come to the CHL and hasn't done anything but do exactly what has been asked of him since being drafted. I have no more fear of him bolting to the KHL than I do Myers bolting to the KHL at this point. Sure it COULD happen, but just because a player is from Russia doesn't mean they don't want to play in the US
That's a pretty big stretch

Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

As long as a player is happy here, they aren't going to bolt. Malkin, Ovechkin, Gonchar, Datsyuk, Bobrovsky, etc are all sticking around here.

Burmistrov probably would have if he wasn't in Winnipeg.

I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. Grigorenko is a minimal flight risk. Zadorov probably similar since he came over to play in the CHL.

But someone like Kuznetsov might give the Capitals pause, since he hasn't come over yet. It's possible that he comes over, plays out one contract, and decides to bolt back to the KHL.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Isles re-sign Bailey for 5 more years

(no dollars yet... but could be a good low end comparable for Hodgson)

Old
07-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Djp

As others have said it will be a case by case thing.

If players come over to play in the CHL/US they are far more likely to stay here.

It will be harder to get players to come over here from Russia/KHL because they can make more money in the KHL.

With Kovy....its not like Burmi bolting after 3 yrs. He played in the NHL since 01/02.

It isn't just with Russians, but with other european players who came over from europe to play....some of them will want to return to play in their home country later on in their career.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Isles re-sign Bailey for 5 more years

(no dollars yet... but could be a good low end comparable for Hodgson)
$3.3 mil/year, according to the isles board

Old
07-15-2013, 11:56 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Give Hodger 6 years, $27M (4.5 per).

I'd like to see him not have to renegotiate until we're through this rebuild and have been in contention for a couple years.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I despise Ryan Lambert with a passion, but he's on point here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...144857282.html

Quote:
The pay's good, too, but not as good as you'd think based on what Kovalchuk is going to get. Only 10 of the league's 26 teams spent more than $1 million on bringing over NHLers during the lockout. Not surprisingly, Kovalchuk's CSKA was way out in front with more than $10.1 million in that half-season. That club has deep pockets, as do a few others, but for the most part, these are small-time teams, and the league's newly instituted hard salary cap reflects it.

How much can you spend to put together a team there? Just $36 million, with the option to get one cap-exempt player under contract through an appeal to the league itself. Kovalchuk is just such a player, given that he meets the league's criteria as having played his previous season in the NHL and being eligible for the Russian national team.

The simple fact is that most KHL teams lose money. Estimates show only about four or five come up even every year. This is a league that just doesn't have the resources to throw anything resembling Kovalchuk money at the Evgeni Malkins and Alex Ovechkins of the world.
The fears about Grigorenko should be put to rest. There are only a few teams that could afford to kind of cash needed to pull Grigs away from the NHL, and if they're tied up with the Kovalchuks of the world, it just isn't going to be there for Mikhail.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
If players come over to play in the CHL/US they are far more likely to stay here.
Radulov and Burmistrov both played in the CHL, so not sure this point follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I despise Ryan Lambert with a passion, but he's on point here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...144857282.html
It would be nice if he knew the difference between CSKA Moscow and SKA St. Petersburg (the team Kovalchuk actually signed with)

Old
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

Did you guys hear the interview after the Scrimmage when Grigs was asked what was your favorite NHL player? He said "Well it was Ilya Kovalcuck until last night".... Then he went onto say....."So I guess instead it would be Alexander Mogilny". Those saying there is no risk in Grigs going to Russia simply are grasping the impact the KHL is going to have on this league in the coming years with giving HIGHER salaries with NO TAXES, all the while of having the luxury of being with your family, native country, etc....It scares the hell out of me to have Grigs and Zadarov as part of our future core. =/

In no way am I expecting our Russian players to leave....I was never implying that. I was just opening it up for discussion and stating how much it worries me about our future. Mainly because it is something we have no control over.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Rant Casey

Quote:
Kind of a polemic issue.

Looking at it emotionally, I would say that part of conducting one's self as a professional would be honouring the contracts that you sign. Failing to complete a contract (unforeseen tragic circumstances/death aside) is a character flaw and detrimental to all future dealings with the individual involved. If you fail to see how your word and signature are a fealty oath, and cast them away as so much dunnage, then you are deserving of criticism.

In no way however would I infer that all dealings with members of a specific nationality would be hinged upon an event with one individual. Kind of like hating all apples just because I had the misfortune to get one with an unappetizing texture.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Did you guys hear the interview after the Scrimmage when Grigs was asked what was your favorite NHL player? He said "Well it was Ilya Kovalcuck until last night".... Then he went onto say....."So I guess instead it would be Alexander Mogilny". Those saying there is no risk in Grigs going to Russia simply are grasping the impact the KHL is going to have on this league in the coming years with giving HIGHER salaries with NO TAXES, all the while of having the luxury of being with your family, native country, etc....It scares the hell out of me to have Grigs and Zadarov as part of our future core. =/

In no way am I expecting our Russian players to leave....I was never implying that. I was just opening it up for discussion and stating how much it worries me about our future. Mainly because it is something we have no control over.
The one thing a lot of people are overlooking with the Kovie deal is that the Devils had to OK the move because he had a valid contract.

As long as the Sabres can keep Grigorenko and Zadorov from even hitting RFA status, then there is no flight risk.

Radulov is the more concerning cautionary tale. He came over to NA and played two years for the Quebec Remparts after the Preds drafted him. That probably eased some flight risk fears and he still became a flight risk poster child.

You never know with prospects. I don't want the Sabres to completely write off Russian prospects like they used to. I think they are taking the right approach by doing their due diligence and taking guys like these two and passing on a guy like Nichushkin

Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceky View Post
poor devils fans...

and then in between:

it's like asking a guy if some other woman is hot right at the funeral of his wife ...

For this reason alone, Karate Johnson needs his avatar back...

Old
07-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

"No taxes" isn't accurate, except where a portion of the money is being paid under the table as I suspect happens quite a bit. Considerably less tax, but not none. The opportunity for higher salaries in the KHL is overstated. It exists, but only to a degree. It's not an endless opportunity for any ol' Russian player.

While we're at it, let's not make this just about Russians. Going forward there are KHL teams in some 8 other countries now, including Latvia and Finland. I expect that to continue as time goes by and the league becomes more and more pan-European.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Part of the Sabres pre-draft interviewing gives them a view of the risks for players returning home. It was a big part of the reason they passed in Nichu. Individually, they will assess talent. I doubt they swear off an entire nation without doing due diligence pre-draft.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
It would be nice if he knew the difference between CSKA Moscow and SKA St. Petersburg (the team Kovalchuk actually signed with)
Ha didn't even catch that. Wouldn't be a Lambert piece without something inaccurate about it. Or trashing the Sabres (which he does on cue later in the column).

Old
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ron Hextall brings his preference for a heavy style back to Flyer-land as Ass't GM and Director of Hockey Operations.

07-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Give Hodger 6 years, $27M (4.5 per).

I'd like to see him not have to renegotiate until we're through this rebuild and have been in contention for a couple years.
Hodger? The G is silent so I'm highly doubtful anyone has ever called him this. Don't just make up nicknames for players, come on.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Hodger? The G is silent so I'm highly doubtful anyone has ever called him this. Don't just make up nicknames for players, come on.
That's pretty damn funny.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Well, somebody has to call it first. That's how nicknames happen.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
dugman

The Hodgmeister, the Hodginator, Mr. Hod Squad, makin' copies.....

Old
07-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Old
07-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427780

Quote:
MONTREAL -- Montreal Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion announced his retirement on Monday.

The 25-year-old had been considering stepping away from hockey due to lingering effects of a skull fracture and concussion suffered during an American Hockey League game in November.

Geoffrion, the grandson of Canadiens legend Bernie Geoffrion and great-grandson of superstar Howie Morenz, notified general manager Marc Bergevin in March that he might retire.

"After suffering an injury in November and taking time to recover and reflect, I have decided to step away from the game of hockey for the time being," Geoffrion said in a statement Monday.
Tough decision, but it's good to see a player willing to walk away from the game at such a young age to ensure his health and happiness.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Well, somebody has to call it first. That's how nicknames happen.
But you're adding in sounds to his name. That isn't how nicknames work. Just... stop while you're behind.

Hi my name is John.
We'll nickname you Jogen!!!

See how that doesn't work?

Closed Thread