HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Ron Hextall Leaves Kings for Flyers

Old
07-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Yup, amen. We knew he was gone sooner or later. We're a successful org now...get used to people getting poached rather than fired.

Glad he can get back to where his heart is. You know he's moving on to a bigger role and will eventually be their GM. Personally, I can't wait till they have someone in there to make over the org. You know he's gonna be awesome with everyone from Snider to the media...and oh boy, I can't wait to see him deal with the media.

This is a good thing for that franchise. I'm bummed, and hope it doesn't set us back.
Exactly. I always enjoyed his interviews, especially regarding drafting and our prospects. Extremely thorough and analytical like Dean.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Quattro

vCash: 500
I was really hoping he'd take a GM job anywhere but Philly because, although I admire the work he's done here, I can't stand the Flyers and will always root for them to fail. Oh well, sucks for Hextall. As long as Snider, Clarke and Holmgren are there, he's doomed.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
MJones31

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Wayne Gretzky
Sean O'Donnell
Rob Blake
Mattias Norstrom
Tom Glavine
Felix Potvin

MJones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Hextall- On missing Philadelphia: ďThat was my home for a long time. My girls still live on the East Coast and my son Brett played on the East Coast last year (with Portland of the AHL). I do spend a decent amount of time in Manchester (N.H.) with our minor league team, but I miss the Philadelphia area. I canít say enough about the organization and the people in the organization. When you get down to it, an organization is just an organization but what makes it special is the people. From [Chairman] Mr. [Ed] Snider to Clarke to [Paul Holmgren] to everyone in that organization, itís a special, special organization.Ē
Great, good for him. If he's happy, whatever. He was a beloved Flyer so it makes sense, but part of me was hoping he'd realized what a backwards organization it was after he went and won elsewhere. He can have fun with Ed Snider and his complete overbearing control of the team's decisions. That and their treatment of certain players throughout their history makes me want them to fail.

He was a great Assistant GM and it sucks to see him leave, but that's life. The Kings will be alright. So thanks for your work, Hextall. Have fun in Philly.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Well, good for Hextall I guess. I was hoping that Dean would kick himself upstairs in 2 or 3 years and Hextall would take over. I really don't get the appeal of the east coast to these guys.

This is why you develop not only a deep bench in terms of player personnel, but in terms of managerial talent as well. The Kings are pretty deep in that regard with guys like Futa, Yanetti, and Ranford in key positions. I don't know who they will tab to replace Hextall, but Futa seems like a logical choice to me.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:31 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Ugh, why do people insist on going back to that hellhole of organization. Whatever, I love him and it's his choice, but I can't honestly say I'll be rooting for him when he's working for the Flyers.
The amount of success the Flyers have had in comparison to the Kings since 1967 isn't even close. Not surprised you joined HF in June 2011.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
The amount of success the Flyers have had in comparison to the Kings since 1967 isn't even close. Not surprised you joined HF in June 2011.
So do you pop in VHS tapes of the '75 Flyers to relive glory, seeing how you probably weren't born yet when the Flyers were champs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Sybil227

Well, as much as I hate seeing Hexy go, it gives us a chance to continue creating our culture from within. I sincerely hope they'll pick an ex-King to replace him. I can see any of Fox, Evans, Emerson, or Taylor moving into that spot.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:47 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Holmgren's days must be numbered. Flyers fans must be thrilled.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So do you pop in VHS tapes of the '75 Flyers to relive glory, seeing how you probably weren't born yet when the Flyers were champs.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:51 PM
jml87

Quote:
Wow, I totally compared success in that statement. And what does my join date have to do with anything? Did my hockey fandom start when I joined an internet forum? Ok then. I don't like the Flyers for a number of reasons and it has nothing to do with their success in the playoffs (or lack there of since it's been over 35 years since their last cup).

Old
07-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Good for him, makes it easier for him to get a head job probably when Homer is quickly fired. Easier when you're when in house already.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I really don't get the appeal of the east coast to these guys.
Somewhat off-topic here: if I recall correctly, at the time Aki Berg (I think it was him) got traded to Toronto, he gave an interview where he said (paraphrasing heavily): "Thank God; now I'm going to a place that has great weather"...I guess it's all about what you're acclimated to/conditioned for...

Back on-topic: Best of luck to Hextall; hopefully, his replacement proves more-than-capable of the role of understudy...

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:59 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Holmgren's days must be numbered. Flyers fans must be thrilled.
I doubt it. Most flyers fans act like Holmgren . Very disillusioned from what I've seen.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:03 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Not even talking about Cups. Have the Kings been a better organization than the Flyers over the past 10 years? They've been to the Stanley Cup Finals more times than anyone but the Canadiens since they entered the league. To call them a hellhole of an organization is just a dumb statement.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
jml87

Quote:
Not even talking about Cups. Have the Kings been a better organization than the Flyers over the past 10 years? They've been to the Stanley Cup Finals more times than anyone but the Canadiens since they entered the league. To call them a hellhole of an organization is just a dumb statement.
Of course your not talking about Cups cause the Flyers don't have any since 1975. And once again, the hellhole comment is referring to how they're run. Their backwards mentality when it comes to defense and goaltending and their need to start accusing players the minute things don't start going right.

Actually, you know what, it's really just the players that it sucks for. The Flyers are much kinder to their GMs. The amount of mistakes you have to make to lose that job is astounding. Fire the coaches, trade the players, but the GM? Yeah, give him ten more chances. Oh he was a part of the Broad Street Bullies? Give him twenty.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Good for Hextall. He's always been a flyer at heart imo.

Best of luck to you Hexy!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

Quote:
Of course your not talking about Cups cause the Flyers don't have any since 1975. And once again, the hellhole comment is referring to how they're run. Their backwards mentality when it comes to defense and goaltending and their need to start accusing players the minute things don't start going right.

Actually, you know what, it's really just the players that it sucks for. The Flyers are much kinder to their GMs. The amount of mistakes you have to make to lose that job is astounding. Fire the coaches, trade the players, but the GM? Yeah, give him ten more chances. Oh he was a part of the Broad Street Bullies? Give him twenty.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:39 PM
jml87

Kings win Stanley Cup = Still not as successful as the Flyers in the past 10 years

Old
07-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

Quote:
Kings win Stanley Cup = Still not as successful as the Flyers in the past 10 years
I got memes for days. DAYS.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
The Flyers were pretty good back in the early to mid-70s, but they were also a hateful team with all their brawn. It was a different era, that's for sure.

If you want to get technical, yes, the Flyers have won two Cups to the Kings' one. However, I think his statement that "its not even close" really isn't relevant.

Also, the Kings have been much more successful as of late than the Flyers have been. That much is pretty obvious, and anyone who wants to get back on their soapbox and pump their fists the last time the Flyers won a Cup is going to be ridiculed.

Hell, I was 17. It was two GD generations ago!

07-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I bet any sane and logical Flyers fan would trade the past two decades of Flyers hockey to see their team win a Cup (and make it to the Conference Finals a year later).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Can we change this to an appreciation thread?

Bummed, but knew it would happen eventually. Good luck!!!!
Ya I agree. Was one of my favorites in the organization. Gonna be missed. Real curious who we replace him with.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I got memes for days. DAYS.
So do I.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old