HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does Bergevin have to sign PK Subban before the season start ?

View Poll Results: should bergy sign PK before the season start ?
yes 76 32.20%
no 67 28.39%
it doesn't matter 93 39.41%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Lozela

vCash: 500
Does Bergevin have to sign PK Subban before the season start ?

I can't really imagine the habs going into the season witout getting PK signed. The situation could get extra messy

Old
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
I can't really imagine the habs going into the season witout getting PK signed. The situation could get extra messy
He doesn't have the cap space, not for this year anyway.

And you're right, this will probably be a big distraction in the offseason. Queue the (correct I believe) comments about how we should've signed him for five years and 25 mil last year...

Old
07-15-2013, 10:21 PM
hardcorehabs

Give him 7.5 over 7 years and be done with it.

Please and thanks.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Kriss E

I don't see it happening any time soon.
PK just won the Norris, he's at an all time high. If the season starts and he struggles a little more, then his value could drop a bit.
If he has another great year, then he'll get a huge amount, which he's likely to get anyway.

Might as well wait a bit.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
BigDaddyLurch
of the Clan MacPRICE

Wait a bit...no harm in it and it might save a bit of cash...

Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
PK just won the Norris, he's at an all time high. If the season starts and he struggles a little more, then his value could drop a bit.
If he has another great year, then he'll get a huge amount, which he's likely to get anyway.

If he is a Norris finalist again his value will go up by another million ir two.

That is more likely than him "coming back down to Earth".

Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Lozela

Quote:
If he has another great year, then he'll get a huge amount, which is likely to get anyway.

If he struggles next season, he will only have to blame MB for putting him under the stress of performing for his next contract when he actually won the norris the year before. In that case, he would most probably wait again to get signed and would this time listen to other teams on the RFA market.

The best solution for Bergevin is to give him the contract 60 millions for 8 years. He has no choice.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:27 PM
HatTricK09
(╯□)╯︵ uǝıɹɹǝɥʇ

vCash: 1801
Either way I am comfortable with it, I believe Bergevin will get it done.
Pay him 7+ million a year for the next few years right away, or wait after the season to see if he can build on from last season and earn his 7+ million a year

Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He doesn't have the cap space, not for this year anyway.

And you're right, this will probably be a big distraction in the offseason. Queue the (correct I believe) comments about how we should've signed him for five years and 25 mil last year...
His salary cap hit isn't going to change for next season whether he signs an extension or not, he's already signed for next season.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

If a busted up, broken Patrice Bergeron gets a 7 year extension that kicks in AFTER this coming season then there is no reason to doubt in our GM getting a deal done with PK Subban is there?

That said, I fully expect Scrooge McDuck to penny pinch and infuriate PK and his agent well into the season.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Lozela

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Either way I am comfortable with it, I believe Bergevin will get it done.
Pay him 7+ million a year for the next few years right away, or wait after the season to see if he can build on from last season and earn his 7+ million a year

He should flush his Norris down the toilet then

wow u guys sometimes

Old
07-15-2013, 10:30 PM
HatTricK09
(╯□)╯︵ uǝıɹɹǝɥʇ

vCash: 1801
Quote:
If he struggles next season, he will only have to blame MB for putting him under the stress of performing for his next contract when he actually won the norris the year before. In that case, he would most probably wait again to get signed and would this time listen to other teams on the RFA market.

The best solution for Bergevin is to give him the contract 60 millions for 8 years. He has no choice.
With or without a contract, he is in the driver's seat. He will for sure get a contract, with us or with someone else. He will be RFA but there will be teams that will offer sheet him if we do not take him seriously.
There is no reason for him to stress, unless he believes this season was just all luck.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:32 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
Give him 7.5 over 7 years and be done with it.

Please and thanks.
Total agree. I do not want to hear about this contact all season long. It will be a big distraction because this is Montreal. I really hope MB understands this.

Give him the long term 8 year deal and make him a hab for life

Old
07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If he is a Norris finalist again his value will go up by another million ir two.

That is more likely than him "coming back down to Earth".
I seriously doubt PK earns himself yet another Norris candidacy. Not that it's impossible, but there are other serious candidates out there. Don't get me wrong, I think PK will win the Norris again in his career, but I just don't think he'll be a finalist this next season at such a young age with so many good Dmen out there.

People are already talking about 7.5-8M, I doubt his cap hit would reach 9-10M.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

No, it's not Bergevin's fault if PK struggles. If PK can't handle the stress of playing for a contract, he will have a tough time in the NHL. But we know that's not the case so you can delete that from your mind.

As for Bergevin, he'll always have a choice. If other teams want to sign him to an offer sheet, then we can either match or take the compensation (like to be four 1st round picks), or trade him for a massive return before.
I don't think Bergevin will go through any of this anyways, he'll re-sign PK at some point during the year. Hopefully PK is extremely loyal and will agree to a cap hit of around 6M, that would be amazing but likely won't happen.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Lozela

Quote:
No, it's not Bergevin's fault if PK struggles. If PK can't handle the stress of playing for a contract, he will have a tough time in the NHL. But we know that's not the case so you can delete that from your mind.

As for Bergevin, he'll always have a choice. If other teams want to sign him to an offer sheet, then we can either match or take the compensation (like to be four 1st round picks), or trade him for a massive return before.
I don't think Bergevin will go through any of this anyways, he'll re-sign PK at some point during the year. Hopefully PK is extremely loyal and will agree to a cap hit of around 6M, that would be amazing but likely won't happen.
He already showed his loyalty when MB low balled him. Its not really about the stress, its a matter of respect. All the team are re-signing their big players one year before they're up, we did it with Pacioretty & Price. Subban clearly had a better season than both of them and not re-upping his contract before the training camp would be a big slap in the face.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
hockeyjockey

Doesn't really matter... He'll get Doughty, Karlson, Letang type money now or next summer. No stress really. Offer sheet next year would be 5 firsts at that point.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Lozela

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
Doesn't really matter... He'll get Doughty, Karlson, Letang type money now or next summer. No stress really. Offer sheet next year would be 5 firsts at that point.

and back to square one

Old
07-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
He already showed his loyalty when MB low balled him. Its not really about the stress, its a matter of respect. All the team are re-signing their big players one year before they're up, we did it with Pacioretty & Price. Subban clearly had a better season than both of them and not re-upping his contract before the training camp would be a big slap in the face.
It had nothing to do with loyalty, he had no negotiating power. Also, no reason for PK to rush on an offer sheet when he knows he'll likely get a crap load more on his next deal. This year he'll be up for arbitration so he has more negotiating power.

Price didn't sign an extension a year before. MaxPac yes, but not Price.

Stop exaggerating. It's not a slap in the face if he isn't re-signed by September. Not even close to it. And maybe PK wants to wait too.

In any event, stop with the drama.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Lozela

Quote:
It had nothing to do with loyalty, he had no negotiating power. Also, no reason for PK to rush on an offer sheet when he knows he'll likely get a crap load more on his next deal. This year he'll be up for arbitration so he has more negotiating power.

Price didn't sign an extension a year before. MaxPac yes, but not Price.

Stop exaggerating. It's not a slap in the face if he isn't re-signed by September. Not even close to it. And maybe PK wants to wait too.

In any event, stop with the drama.
you're right about Price

Will see what happens for PK

Letang signed 58 millions for 8 years right ?

Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

If he doesn't sign him pk should tell him to put his man child DD back there and walk.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Laboeuf

I believe Marc Bergervin did the right thing. Looking at the numbers, PK Subban hasn't had a year over 38 points, he won the Norris by default. Compared to Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang all of whom had 60-70 points season. This year is yet another year to see if PK can prove himself. If he remains one of the top players then yes give him $7 mil, if not then less.

Mind you Karlsson earns $6.5 mil per season and won the Norris with 78 points.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

Quote:

Exactly what I came in this thread to say. Thanks for saving me time

Old
07-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Lozela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
I believe Marc Bergervin did the right thing. Looking at the numbers, PK Subban hasn't had a year over 38 points, he won the Norris by default. Compared to Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang all of whom had 60-70 points season. This year is yet another year to see if PK can prove himself. If he remains one of the top players then yes give him $7 mil, if not then less.

Mind you Karlsson earns $6.5 mil per season and won the Norris with 78 points.
And thats exactly why this hockey club is not near from winning.

Only in MTL will a guy win the Norris and have fans from his own team calling it a fluke when guys from other cities would take him in their team in a hearbeat.

Like everyone else, I wonder what kind of player Subban might be outside of the gutless culture of Montreal hockey. His talent is undeniable, one Bruins fans can equate to the likes of Peyton Manning of sorts. You love to hate him, but at some level you would salivate to have him on your squad

http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...eat_bruin.html

Old
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Lozela

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...n-with-bruins/

I hope he keeps up his antics that they end up trading him to the Bruins because Id love to see him on this team because I think hes a very talented player, Hall of Fame defenceman Ray Bourque told former Hab Chris Nilan on Nilans new Off the Cuff radio show on TSN Radio 690 on the afternoon of the game.

Even Ray Bourque knows how it is in MTL. Different GM, different coach, different owners same mistake

To letting Ryder walk twice for nothin

To signing overrated players for too much money (Brisebois, Price, Gorges)

To not adressing size in the middle issue (koivu, Pleky, Desharnaid & now Brunet)

To making star players become Public Enemy #1 after they won a trophy (theodore... Subban)

and the next chapter

trading an allstar player and losing trade (Chelios to Roy to Turgeon and soon Subban)

This market is so predictable.

Closed Thread