HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do Flyer Fans Consider the Penguins One of their main rivals again?

Old
10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
AK-Evgeni71*

vCash: 500
Do Flyer Fans Consider the Penguins One of their main rivals again?

Because I know over the last few years most flyer fans didn't. I would for one like to see this interstate rivalry heat up to the levels of the early to mid 90's

AK-Evgeni71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Evgeni71 View Post
Because I know over the last few years most flyer fans didn't. I would for one like to see this interstate rivalry heat up to the levels of the early to mid 90's

Yeah, we'd love to watch more games like this.

Go home.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:45 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Things keep goin' like this, you guys have the right to just overlook us!

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

A rival usually shows up for a fight.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:59 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
love the signature.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
flyersfan97

We $uck too bad to be anyone's rival right now. We may be under Lundqvist's skin right about now, but that too shall pass....

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:54 PM
capn89*

This team has no heart. And I also hate how you can't be a man in the new NHL.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

There will be no rivalry. It will be like the early 90's when the Penguins were awesome and the Flyers pathetic. How can there be a rivarly with a team that beats the crap out of you every time, when every other team does the same? Now if the Flyers were good and only lost the the Penguins, then it'd be a rivalry. Like with the Devils throughout the mid-late 90's to early 2000's.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Evgeni71 View Post
considering this team has only won 72 out 246 games the past three years I still think we are in no position to be anyones "rival" after only 9 games Our only rival will be the team(s) we play if we make the playoffs. May I remind you that the pens started like 7-2 in like 2003 and only won 20 more games and San Jose lost 10? games straight and still made the playoffs. Point is the season is young and I wish best of luck to flyers (except when they play the pens). It would be nice for a pittsburgh-philly playoff match. To all pens fans, please dont troll we have had enough of that for the past 5 years. Peace.

P.S. Evgeni 71 i didnt mean you trolling.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:41 AM
BringBackStevens

just because you blew us out 2 games in a row doesnt mean we are rivals. im expecting to get blown out a lot this season actually.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Steve L*

No, youll actually have to make the playoffs a couple of times and have a couple of series against the Flyers for that to happen.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:36 AM
FlyersFanJS

in the past few years there was no rivalry because the flyers trounced the pens night in and night out....now it looks as though the tables have turned...usually, a rivalry means that two teams that don't like each other will battle till the very end and the season series will most likely be around .500 for each team. this is just a mauling, just like it has been in recent years, only the teams are now reversed

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:08 AM
RLD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre_Daigle View Post
Things keep goin' like this, you guys have the right to just overlook us!
I don't think the Flyers are bad at all, right now I think it's rust and bad luck, for example in last night's game if bounces would have went the Flyers way you could have had 3 maybe 4 more goals, theres also something else wrong with the Flyers I can't just put my finger on it, alot of it is confidence and the Flyers just arent confident right now, I think all you guys need is something to light a fire under your butt and you'll be fine.

RLD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:16 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hollywòód- View Post
I don't think the Flyers are bad at all, right now I think it's rust and bad luck, for example in last night's game if bounces would have went the Flyers way you could have had 3 maybe 4 more goals, theres also something else wrong with the Flyers I can't just put my finger on it, alot of it is confidence and the Flyers just arent confident right now, I think all you guys need is something to light a fire under your butt and you'll be fine.
One would think that firing the coach and the GM resigning would be enough. Apparently that was not the case.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
daynus

pens, rivals

not really. pittsburg was horrible for several years, and we stink this year, there is no track record to indicate a rivalry. our rival is the New Jersey Devils and i really don't know who the penguins rival is.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Hemooli

Send a message via AIM to Hemooli Send a message via MSN to Hemooli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
There will be no rivalry. It will be like the early 90's when the Penguins were awesome and the Flyers pathetic. How can there be a rivarly with a team that beats the crap out of you every time, when every other team does the same? Now if the Flyers were good and only lost the the Penguins, then it'd be a rivalry. Like with the Devils throughout the mid-late 90's to early 2000's.
Going by your definition, why then was there no rivalry in the late 90's? Both Philly and Pittsburgh were good teams then, and Philly had the upper hand.

Hemooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I've never cared less about losing 7-2.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
not really. pittsburg was horrible for several years, and we stink this year, there is no track record to indicate a rivalry. our rival is the New Jersey Devils and i really don't know who the penguins rival is.
The Flyers and Rags would be neck and neck for . . . well, let us say that you all do not win any popularity contests among the vast majority of Pens' fans. It has always been and always will be the Flyers for Pens' fans, though the Rags have creeped up over the years.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The Flyers and Rags would be neck and neck for . . . well, let us say that you all do not win any popularity contests among the vast majority of Pens' fans. It has always been and always will be the Flyers for Pens' fans, though the Rags have creeped up over the years.
judging from the games last year i have a feeling the pens will have a new rival in fellow up and coming team atlanta.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
judging from the games last year i have a feeling the pens will have a new rival in fellow up and coming team atlanta.
Not even close. Except for making fun of Kovalchuk, it was nothing much at all on the pens' end. Flyers though . . . I remember going over an almost unbelievable period, wasn't it the better part of two decades?, playing four games a year in Philly and not winning one. The Flyers have always been the team for Pens' fans, just ask on our board. Even Rags fans, while annoying as hell, can not hold a candle to the rivalry with the Flyers dating back to when I was a kid. I think from the reactions on our board, that is pretty much the consensus.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemooli View Post
Going by your definition, why then was there no rivalry in the late 90's? Both Philly and Pittsburgh were good teams then, and Philly had the upper hand.
I don't recall the Pens beating the Flyers in any important game or series, whereas the Devils beat the Flyers in the 95 playoffs, and 2001 (where the Flyers had a 3-1 lead). I don't recall any important games between the Flyers and Pens (I might be wrong, but I don't remember any), which I would also add to making a rivalry.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Not even close. Except for making fun of Kovalchuk, it was nothing much at all on the pens' end. Flyers though . . . I remember going over an almost unbelievable period, wasn't it the better part of two decades?, playing four games a year in Philly and not winning one. The Flyers have always been the team for Pens' fans, just ask on our board. Even Rags fans, while annoying as hell, can not hold a candle to the rivalry with the Flyers dating back to when I was a kid. I think from the reactions on our board, that is pretty much the consensus.
oh yea, i know there's a lot more history w/ the flyers for pens fans. i think another budding one may be atlanta, that's all.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
I've never cared less about losing 7-2.
Yep.

It's hard-fought, close games that make good rivalries.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote