The whole team seems a bit out of shape. We should never be outskated like last night by the Laffs on our home ice. Carbo will have to do like Paul Maurice and make his players sweat a lot more in practice.
An article today said that the boys got the day off...
our 1st line looks great most nights,
perezhogin has come out flying after a brutal camp,
huet is coming off a solid game( always a good sign)
souray looks like a 50+ point d-man( never saw that coming)
bonk and johnson have made a great 3rd line duo ( never saw that coming either)
niniima is only half as bad as I thought he was
our pp and pk look good
Here some observations that I've seen, and I've seen every game except the Chiago one this year.
1. Lats (I never saw him play in the pre-season) and I know he's a young kid who will need time, but I think he should have stayed in Junior for another year and one year in the AHL. It's not that he hasn't registered a point, but rather that he's NOT that strong on the boards and he hasn't caught up to the speed of the game. A natural progression just like Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec would have been much better than throwing him into the fire.
2. When we make a crisp first pass out of the offensive zone and get through the neutral zone with speed, we are deadly, otherwise we stink...no in between!
3. Begin is playing like crap... he lost his hockey sense in the off-season. I have never seen him so out of poistion in the defensive zone and I can't understand why? His offensive zeal last year was a mirage, that's for sure. Murray hasn't looked that good either!
4, As fast as our offensive is, our DEFENSE is just plain SLOW. Put pressure on Rivet and Souray and they cough up the puck. As vets the are jsut plain scary when paired together, especially as a number 1 pairing.
5. Niiminnaa is good for 2-3 giveaways a game.... Brisebois without the offense!
6. The REAL Markov has yet to show up this year. Why does he NEVER look like he's having any fun? Another Russian just over for the American $$... guess we'll find out in the off-season.
7. Why can't we learn from Buffalo and roll 4 offensive lines?
Higgins---Koivu--Ryder (Don't fix what ain't broke!)
Lats--Begin---Kots (Call him up... he's earned a shot more than Lats!)
8. Neither Huet or Abby have give me the work fuzzy feeling about our goalies...yet?
Anyways, we did steal a point last night. And 5-2-3 is pretty decent. I dont like the comparisons with last year 13-3 start. It's pointless unless you are expecting the habs to dump games like mad between november and early february when they found a way to get back to 0.500 hockey After starting 13-3...
I dont think they will this year.
I wish I could agree with you. The first line and special teams are primarily responsible for the 5-2-3 record, they can't keep it up every game, it's just the law of averages, overall the Habs are playing like a very ordinary team.