HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 09:22 AM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
The story was broken by a former leafs exec. and the EJ on the 13th. I just saw it.

Like I said, I think it would be a nice pickup.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:23 AM
pcanuck

Here's the article:

Former Maple Leafs assistant general manager Bill Watters was interviewed on Oilers Now on Friday, and he had both an interesting rumour and some harsh words for Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf. In part, here’s what he had to say:

Dion Phaneuf should be dispatched as soon as they possibly can and the story I hear is that Edmonton’s interested and if they are tell [general manager Craig MacTavish] to take him and have fun with him. I find him to be the most overrated, undernourished hockey player in the history of the NHL and whoever made him the captain of the Maple Leafs should have been fired six years ago.

Watters further criticized Phaneuf over the course of the interview, with a particular emphasis on his character and leadership abilities, but the interesting thing from an Oilers perspective is his idea that Edmonton is interested in adding Phaneuf to their defence corps.

At first blush, it’s easy to make a case for the match between player and team. He is a legitimate top-pairing defenceman who adds size (6’3”, 214 pounds), scoring ability (scored at a 48 point pace this season), snarl and at the age of 28 is a pretty decent fit for the Oilers’ young cluster of talent.

Phaneuf has played some tough minutes in Toronto the last few years. He’s faced top-pairing opposition, seeing the other team’s best players every night, and generally he’s started a lot of shifts in his own end of the ice. Last season, he did that while carting around AHL’ers Korbinian Holzer and Mike Kostka more than half the time. It’s a great way to make any defenceman look bad: feed him to the wolves and shackle a ball and chain to his ankle.

One of the other areas Watters criticized was Phaneuf’s power play production, which is kind of an odd critique. Phaneuf tied for fifth in power play scoring among NHL defencemen last season and was sixth in 2011-12 – his numbers adjusted for ice-time have also been excellent of late in that situation. He had a couple of bad years before that but was brilliant on the power play in Calgary for the first four seasons of his career. - See more at: http://www.*******************/artic....RM1mqYUJ.dpuf

Old
07-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
TOR fans expect Eberle as the return for an unsigned Phanuef
...Some crazy EDM fans are offering up Gagner+Klefbom + conditional 1st for him..

Both sound crazy to me but if Phaneuf gets dealt dont expect the return to be nothing.. Claiming him to be a 'nice pickup' is wishful considering the potential price we will have to pay.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:26 AM
YesYesYall

No way MacT would trade one of the big five... I had no idea that we were even pursuing Phaneuf

Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
pcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
TOR fans expect Eberle as the return for an unsigned Phanuef
...Some crazy EDM fans are offering up Gagner+Klefbom + conditional 1st for him..

Both sound crazy to me but if Phaneuf gets dealt dont expect the return to be nothing.. Claiming him to be a 'nice pickup' is wishful considering the potential price we will have to pay.
wow! didn't know that. That is a king's ransom and not something I would trade for him. I would trade: Hemsky and the rights to maybe a RFA we don't want

Old
07-16-2013, 09:29 AM
duul

vCash: 50
I'd welcome Phaneuf with open arms. He is a #1 defenceman and paired with J.Schultz or Petry would make an amazing pairing.

If he was signed long term I would gladly trade Eberle for him.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
doulos

This just sounds like a rehash of the Bill Watters interview - so basically nothing.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Oh God, you used "Confirmed with Link" to post a blogger reposting something from the Edmonton Journal?

Why? What the hell did we do to deserve the incoming **** storm from this?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
harpoon
FOB

A non working link to a "story" that doesn't appear anywhere on tsn or nhl.com. Weak. And no thanks to the Dion.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:32 AM
armandh01

several years of Eberle for one year of Phaneuf? Pissing off Hall and....no. It may happen but I doubt the package is what we think.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:33 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I'd welcome Phaneuf with open arms. He is a #1 defenceman and paired with J.Schultz or Petry would make an amazing pairing.

No way... Eberle is a star in this league who is money! Meaning he can handle the pressure of playing here and still net a key goal when needed... playing in his home town for our fans would eviscerate Phaneuf's feeble brain & heart. There is no way he'd handle it... and no way we'd go easy on him, especially if it cost us Eberle.

Old
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Who'd Toronto give up for Phaneuf? Aulie, Stajan, Hagman, Mayers and White?

I think Toronto can expect less of a return than Calgary got if Edmonton is indeed interested.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post

#1 defenseman

And trading Eberle for him.

Closed Thread