Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Off Topic Thread-Why does it take 45 minutes for a pizza

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 08:43 AM
SpeedyLazaro

vCash: 500
The Pizza in Boston is garbage. I went to Santarpio's on Friday and it just wasn't that good at all.. it was ok in a novel sort of way. Gooey, weird crust, tasty sauce.. a weird mish mash of concepts that resulted in something tasty but not great pizza.

Sweet Tomatoes is really good pizza.

Southie doesn't have one single good pizza place.

Somerville had Mama Lisa's which is revelled, but still just OK.

I used to live in NYC, married a girl from Queens, and my job requires me to be in the city once a week. There really is no comparison.. and it's not just on traditional thin crust and Neoploitan pies.. Boston has no clue how to make a Grandma pie or a Scicilian pie.

Also.. New Haven pizza is freakishly good too.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspositoScoresOTR View Post
I'm a five minute walk from there, not quite as good as the North End, but our general go to Pizza. Not the worst place to sit and catch a game either.

Favorite local joints;

Santarpios (only the Eastie one, the one on Rt One is really bad).
North End Original Regina
Pinos's in Cleveland Circle
Pinocchio’s in Harvard Square
Victor's Deli in Ball Square Somerville (best chicken parm in the world, but their pizza is great too, honestly everything in the place is top notch).
Leone's in Winter Hill

I'll give la Hacienda an honorable mention, in the same vein you should have tried the Paddock in Somerville before it closed.
Not a big fan of Santarpios, and I never understood why they got so much praise, TBH. I do love Regina's though, and Pinos is also very good. Haven't been to the rest though, and at this point, I probably won't.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
EspositoScoresOTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLazaro View Post
The Pizza in Boston is garbage. I went to Santarpio's on Friday and it just wasn't that good at all.. it was ok in a novel sort of way. Gooey, weird crust, tasty sauce.. a weird mish mash of concepts that resulted in something tasty but not great pizza.

Sweet Tomatoes is really good pizza.

Southie doesn't have one single good pizza place.

Somerville had Mama Lisa's which is revelled, but still just OK.

I used to live in NYC, married a girl from Queens, and my job requires me to be in the city once a week. There really is no comparison.. and it's not just on traditional thin crust and Neoploitan pies.. Boston has no clue how to make a Grandma pie or a Scicilian pie.

Also.. New Haven pizza is freakishly good too.
See I absolutely hate NYC pizza, way too thin for my taste. Maybe its just being so used to the breadier Regina/ Pappa Ginos style. New Haven Pizza is great, Pepe's being my favorite.

I'm a little obsessed with getting the perfect pizza at home and shoot for something in the vein of Regina with a simpler Santarpios/ Papa Ginos style sauce. Anyone looked at the place on the North Shore that makes Pizza oven kits for Webber Grills?

As for Sicilian done right around here Pino's tops my list. Pinocchio’s is excellent, Leone's is good, but not my favorite sauce, and Victor's is great, but you have to order ahead for toppings (they usually only have cheese by the slice).

Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
SpeedyLazaro

I grew up on Papa Gino's and it holds a special place in my heart.

but NY pizza is actually thicker than New haven and it's the same as most big slice joints in Boston.. Little Stevies, NY Pizza, the 2 spots next door to eachother in Brighton, etc. .. it's really not that thin

Old
07-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
And I don't want to hear any more *****ing & complaining about how long it takes to deliver a pizza- I live out in the sticks where no one will deliver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
That's the one thing I do miss about not living in Boston anymore. Every place delivered, no questions asked. In the sticks where I live, there's no decent pizza, let alone a decent pizza place that delivers. Same thing for Chinese food. It's all terrible, and they don't deliver. It's a giant drag.
At least you get the smells of summer out there where you guys live. Today I stepped out of the subway in downtown crossing and was hit with a wall of stench like nothing I've experienced in a while. This heat is just boiling all the trash into a putrid mess. BLECH

Old
07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Not a big fan of Santarpios, and I never understood why they got so much praise, TBH. I do love Regina's though, and Pinos is also very good. Haven't been to the rest though, and at this point, I probably won't.
I used to work a block and a half from Santarpios, and I'm with you. The crust was good, and the sausage was really good, but I didn't like the sauce - it was too sweet. And I thought the cheese was kinda meh.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:38 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Why don't you tell everyone how you really ripped your pocket? You got pretty low doing that, didn't you?
trying to remove your lip from my zipper, and it shredded my jeans

Old
07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
There are people that seriously think Papa Gino's is good pizza? Take away the regional, "growing up with it" factor, because I grew up with sauerkraut; doesn't mean I wanna eat it every week.

I cannot eat their pizza. I keep trying it every couple years and it still tastes like **** on a shingle to me.

07-16-2013, 09:42 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Worked at sbarro as a teen, learn to make a great pie. Can even spin some dough.

My fav at the time was pepperoni n cheese, with shaved steak + cheese stuffed crust + Bacon bits (real) on the crust.

Last edited by CamFan81: 07-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old
07-16-2013, 09:51 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
Anybody ever try Pizzeria Regina in Medford? It's right near the new Five Guys. Actually right across from it.
I have. It's pretty good. They have a full menu too (not just pizza). The eggplant rollatini app is one of my favorites.

07-16-2013, 09:55 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Worked at sbarro as a teen, learn to make a great pie. Can even spin some dough.

My fav at the time was pepperoni n cheese with shaved steak + cheese stuffed crust + Bacon bits (real) on the crust.

Now this sounds like pizza nirvana *drools*

Though I'm not usually a fan of stuffed crust pizza I could definitely make an exception for this

Old
07-16-2013, 09:56 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
trying to remove your lip from my zipper, and it shredded my jeans
First off, those were pajama jeans, and not real jeans. Secondly, dropping your zipper area on my face while I'm sleeping (yet again) doesn't count. Thirdly, the hole was already there, and you were already taking full advantage of it...

Old
07-16-2013, 09:58 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
[/B]

Now this sounds like pizza nirvana *drools*

Though I'm not usually a fan of stuffed crust pizza I could definitely make an exception for this
now im hungry.

alil dipping sauce for the crust.
Talk about Food Induced coma

Old
07-16-2013, 10:03 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
At least you get the smells of summer out there where you guys live. Today I stepped out of the subway in downtown crossing and was hit with a wall of stench like nothing I've experienced in a while. This heat is just boiling all the trash into a putrid mess. BLECH
Hahahaha you would be amazed at the "new people" who never smelled cow manure before moving here. I don't even notice because I grew up with it and the noise from tractors, hay balers etc. [I live in an area with a lot of farms]. The state legislature actually had to pass "right to farm" laws because so many of these idiots complained about the smell & noise.

Plus they are always whining about the lack of amenities out here- no town trash pick up etc. I mean wtf did they move out here? This is the country where we do things for ourselves.....

Old
07-16-2013, 10:07 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

My fav at the time was pepperoni n cheese, with shaved steak + cheese stuffed crust + Bacon bits (real) on the crust.
Mmmm. Sbarro. Authentic NY Pizza....

Old
07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Can we please stop talking about pizza? I had a mild nervous break down while getting dressed today and decided it's back on the diet train.

**** all ya'll and your pizza.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:20 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Can we please stop talking about pizza? I had a mild nervous break down while getting dressed today and decided it's back on the diet train.

**** all ya'll and your pizza.
Pizza contains healthy ingredients- it is eating a whole one at once that causes the trouble!!!!

Old
07-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Montecristo

why does it take 45 minutes for a pizza? well it usually doesn't but i can lay out some scenarios as to how it could take so long.

maybe one of the 2 pizza boys called off that day, so they only have one guy making all the pizzas, and the place is packed and everyone wants one. so you call in, ask for your large cheese, and this guy already is behind 10 pizzas. and one of the ovens went down so he only can cook 3 at a time. and it takes 10-12 minutes in the oven plus the 3 to roll the dough, throw some sauce on there and sprinkle it with mozzarella. So you are upset that it took 45 minutes to get your pizza?

think about how upset the pizza boy is, its probably the worst day of his pie making career. He's gonna go home completely covered in flower and sauce and youre sitting at home whining about how your pizza took to long to make. pathetic.

ps. town spa pizza obviously the best.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
why does it take 45 minutes for a pizza? well it usually doesn't but i can lay out some scenarios as to how it could take so long.

maybe one of the 2 pizza boys called off that day, so they only have one guy making all the pizzas, and the place is packed and everyone wants one. so you call in, ask for your large cheese, and this guy already is behind 10 pizzas. and one of the ovens went down so he only can cook 3 at a time. and it takes 10-12 minutes in the oven plus the 3 to roll the dough, throw some sauce on there and sprinkle it with mozzarella. So you are upset that it took 45 minutes to get your pizza?

think about how upset the pizza boy is, its probably the worst day of his pie making career. He's gonna go home completely covered in flower and sauce and youre sitting at home whining about how your pizza took to long to make. pathetic.

ps. town spa pizza obviously the best.
Everybody I know from the Stoughton/Canton/Norwood area always makes this claim. At this point, if I were to have it, my expectations are so built up that it can do nothing but disappoint.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:52 AM
tragos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Ugh. Yes. Worst air quality in the city in downtown crossing.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
NathanHortonScores

Pizza!!

Old
07-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
First off, those were pajama jeans, and not real jeans. Secondly, dropping your zipper area on my face while I'm sleeping (yet again) doesn't count. Thirdly, the hole was already there, and you were already taking full advantage of it...
This is starting to read like a weird Penthouse letter you're not sure you wanna find out the ending to.

Fast-forward to the end; does someone get kicked in the nards?

Old
07-16-2013, 11:14 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
This is starting to read like a weird Penthouse letter you're not sure you wanna find out the ending to.

Fast-forward to the end; does someone get kicked in the nards?
lmao yes but out of a request

Old
07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
lmao yes but out of a request
Ah.

So now we've moved from the Penthouse forums to a different kinda mag.

Lemme go get a new box of gloves.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:23 AM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspositoScoresOTR View Post
See I absolutely hate NYC pizza, way too thin for my taste. Maybe its just being so used to the breadier Regina/ Pappa Ginos style. New Haven Pizza is great, Pepe's being my favorite.
What's the big deal with New Haven pizza? Seriously, I don't get it.

I've had Pepe's.

It's fine.

Is it the thin crust style folks go for, or the fact they make it in coal-fired ovens?

Here's my pizza theory: You like the pizza you grew up with.

I grew up with Roma Pizza from Southwick. It's not as good as it used to be (although it's now way better than it was for a while), but what is? Nice, yeasty, bready, bubbly crust. So, so good. (Don't have anything else on the menu--it's not very good.)

If you want a grinder (a sub for you foreigners) you go down the street to Village Pizza. Their pizza is greasy and kind of gross, but their grinders are fantastic.