Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Cid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
That doesn't count. It was a brotherly love fest. And they haven't fought again since. They're buddies.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:46 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Well, I get that people want to add a 14th forward who can fight, as opposed to Pandolfo or Dawg man.

What I don't get is where you said that if Thornton gets concussed, and the B's don't have another goon, then teams will run around and possibly injure the Bruins core players.

I asked how having another goon on the bench, or more accurately, in the press box would prevent anyone from injuring a core player.
Please, if this team had a McGratton, NOBODY would touch anyone on this team

I`m with you, does this team or any team need a heavyweight to win it all??? Can`t recall the Kings/Hawks having any heavyweights who made it all possible, and Thorty`s energy/hustle and leadership amongst a team of leaders was a huge contributor to this teams Cup win a few years back, not his knuckles or the threat that he`d take care of business

10 pages of posts about knuckledraggers....i gotta stop now

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:44 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Please, if this team had a McGratton, NOBODY would touch anyone on this team

I`m with you, does this team or any team need a heavyweight to win it all??? Can`t recall the Kings/Hawks having any heavyweights who made it all possible, and Thorty`s energy/hustle and leadership amongst a team of leaders was a huge contributor to this teams Cup win a few years back, not his knuckles or the threat that he`d take care of business

10 pages of posts about knuckledraggers....i gotta stop now
knuckledraggers....

yeah, I totally see were everyone is screaming for a knuckledragging goon who can barley skate, takes dumb penalties, signs his name with chicken scratched X, plays with toys still, and can only play hockey when he's not wrestling gators or street fighting with clint eastwood.

this is why its ten pages of crap.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Thanks for the info -- I only target the best!

You guys still have Thorburn, right?
Yes we do at this point Thorbs is still in the mix.....he is very game and will drop them with anyone however doesn't win much but rarely gets blown out. In saying that Orr had his number last season. Not sure what the plan is because we are getting a bottleneck in our bottom 6 but mostly 4th line assets so who knows maybe Peluso will get moved?

Last edited by ps241: 07-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.
ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:56 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
knuckledraggers....

yeah, I totally see were everyone is screaming for a knuckledragging goon who can barley skate, takes dumb penalties, signs his name with chicken scratched X, plays with toys still, and can only play hockey when he's not wrestling gators or street fighting with clint eastwood.

this is why its ten pages of crap.
Forget it man...point missed...when Thornton gets his head caved in again this year because he's the only one that steps up to the challenge consistently we can point to this thread...would be nice to give a 36 year old some help, but not important to most here...until he's out of course.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Forget it man...point missed...when Thornton gets his head caved in again this year because he's the only one that steps up to the challenge consistently we can point to this thread...would be nice to give a 36 year old some help, but not important to most here...until he's out of course.
I don't think it's accurate to say "not important to most here."

I think most here agree with what you said above, but the OP did say:

"We should play Thornton 50 games this year (after a long playoff run that is more than enough) and should be looking at getting a 600k hulk who can be put into the line-up when the divisional rivals decide they want to rough it up."

While not using the term "Knuckle-dragger" it's easy to infer at least something similar from this message.

Me, I just think that George Effing Parros is the least of the Bruins worries.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:24 AM
qc
Dare to Dream

So Shawn lost a fight to John Scott one time, and we are in crisis because of this?

Shawn's getting older, but he doesn't need a sidekick. And believe it or not, he loses fights every now and then.

qc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
So Shawn lost a fight to John Scott one time, and we are in crisis because of this?

Shawn's getting older, but he doesn't need a sidekick. And believe it or not, he loses fights every now and then.
Yeah, and Sabres players were taking runs and attempting headshots in every single game against our players and no one did anything about it. Especially McQuaid and Chara who backed down every single time.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Yeah, and Sabres players were taking runs and attempting headshots in every single game against our players and no one did anything about it. Especially McQuaid and Chara who backed down every single time.
Yes, the carnage was awful in those games. Blood all over the ice, broken bones, players carted off on stretchers....

Wait, what?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:01 AM
qc
Dare to Dream

Quote:
Buffalo employed a few goons last season (Scott, Kaleta, etc). Doesn't mean that they're the "Big Bad Sabres."

Overall... Character, toughness, and camaraderie are of a minimal concern right now, imo.

I agree that finding a successor to Thornton's enforcing role is something worth looking into, but let's not pretend that we are some victimized, abused group of cowards. Chara and McQuaid don't have **** to prove in that department.

qc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I don't think it's accurate to say "not important to most here."

I think most here agree with what you said above, but the OP did say:

"We should play Thornton 50 games this year (after a long playoff run that is more than enough) and should be looking at getting a 600k hulk who can be put into the line-up when the divisional rivals decide they want to rough it up."

While not using the term "Knuckle-dragger" it's easy to infer at least something similar from this message.
How so? Peluso (who I've been pining for for over a year) is 605k next year (sorry, I said 600k) and is 235pds... NHL Hulk in my books. He hits with anger, protects the puck very well on the boards, makes good short passes and can hold his own with anyone.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

I keep saying over and over again when this sort of thread pops up every month. But some jsut don't listen. Detroit and such teams don't have a player like Lucic or Marchand in their top 6 or a #1 Dman like Chara; a player that plays on the edge and attracts retribution of one sort or other. If you want Lucic, Marchand, or Chara to play their game at full potential, then you need someone to take care of the retribution part so that our top players don't get needlessly hurt or miss time in the penalty box along with the other team's scrub. Scrubs that run or challenge Lucic, Marchand or Chara in the hopes of taking them out of the game need to be dealt with by someone. Who is gonna deal with Scott, Orr, McLaren and such? Don't want Thornton to be the only guy we have when facing these teams. Its about optimizing your weapons, not that hard to understand. A capable 4th liner can make the long regular season go much smoother for a team such as the Bruins who like to play rough. I don't understand why some posters make such a big deal out of this, we're talking about a 13th forward who would do more with that time then a rookie or Pandolfo.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
weephil56

Bobby Robins is more than capable of taking on any of the heavyweights in the league.

weephil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
How so? Peluso (who I've been pining for for over a year) is 605k next year (sorry, I said 600k) and is 235pds... NHL Hulk in my books. He hits with anger, protects the puck very well on the boards, makes good short passes and can hold his own with anyone.
My issue is, in reading this thread, Peluso is the only guy who even sounds mildly appealing from an actual play the game of hockey standpoint, and if a simpleton like myself has ID'd this, then the Winnipeg Jets likely have as well.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Well, there's a valid clarification...thanks!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:55 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
I keep saying over and over again when this sort of thread pops up every month. But some jsut don't listen. Detroit and such teams don't have a player like Lucic or Marchand in their top 6 or a #1 Dman like Chara; a player that plays on the edge and attracts retribution of one sort or other. If you want Lucic, Marchand, or Chara to play their game at full potential, then you need someone to take care of the retribution part so that our top players don't get needlessly hurt or miss time in the penalty box along with the other team's scrub. Scrubs that run or challenge Lucic, Marchand or Chara in the hopes of taking them out of the game need to be dealt with by someone. Who is gonna deal with Scott, Orr, McLaren and such? Don't want Thornton to be the only guy we have when facing these teams. Its about optimizing your weapons, not that hard to understand. A capable 4th liner can make the long regular season go much smoother for a team such as the Bruins who like to play rough. I don't understand why some posters make such a big deal out of this, we're talking about a 13th forward who would do more with that time then a rookie or Pandolfo.
If I'm a team playing the Bruins, the last thing that's going to get me not to extract retribution from Lucic, Marchand, or Chara is heavy on heavy staged loving.

Our issue with the Sabres isn't John Scott, it's Kaleta and Brave Steve.

Take Cooke, ends Savard's career. Thornton punches him into oblivion, a few years later, he's boarding McQuaid. Enforcers don't enforce, they entertain. The best teams actually learn this fairly quickly.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephil56 View Post
Bobby Robins is more than capable of taking on any of the heavyweights in the league.
One punch from Scott or McGrattan and he's done with hockey. Even Thornton would pummel him.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
weephil56

Quote:
One punch from Scott or McGrattan and he's done with hockey. Even Thornton would pummel him.
You obviously havent seen him fight before if you think this. He has fought and beat Frazer Mclaren before has also beat Alex Penner while playing here in the UK so he has the pedigree to stand toe to toe with these guys.

weephil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
This is exactly it. And nobody in the anti-fighting league will honestly address these points.

If we were the Boston Red Wings, then having Thornton would be more than enough.

But, we play a completely different brand of hockey than the Wings or Canucks (you would think all Bruins fans would be familiar with this) and teams respond in kind.

If a team has a heavyweight that has been sitting out for the past week you can be damned sure he will draw in Vs. the Bruins (John Scott, for example, has been scratched plenty of times over the years but played every game for the Sabres, Rangers or Hawks Vs. the Bruins). If the team has a 230pd scrappy Dman as the 7th Dman, then he will circle the Bruins on the calendar because he knows he is way more likely to play that game.
Teams want to physically challenge and see how they match up with the BIG, BAD BRUINS and they raise their game to do so--and then we, as fans, get mad when our team looks flat for long stretches.

Is it a coincidence that, even though he was put on the 4th line, Lucic's only ZERO hit game of his entire hockey life was against the Sabres?
I don't think so... we were watching Thornton cower to Scott repeatedly at that point and if Lucic went out to bang bodies he wouldn't have the "I'm a top line player" angle for turning down Scott as they were clearly both 4th liners that game. So he disappeared. I don't blame Lucic either unless he wanted to risk having his nose broken again right before the playoffs (like 2011 with Rosehill).

Again, I think we could use a guy that can play an NHL shift and --from time to time-- add a big, fresh physical presence over an impossibly long 82 game season that:

a) keeps Thornton fresh (and hopefully uninjured)
b) backs up the Big, Bad Bruins persona that we have without Lucic and Chara having to do too much of the heavy lifting.

Anyone who has a problem with that should stitch a winged-wheel over the B's crest.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:15 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
This is exactly it. And nobody in the anti-fighting league will honestly address these points.

If we were the Boston Red Wings, then having Thornton would be more than enough.

But, we play a completely different brand of hockey than the Wings or Canucks (you would think all Bruins fans would be familiar with this) and teams respond in kind.

If a team has a heavyweight that has been sitting out for the past week you can be damned sure he will draw in Vs. the Bruins (John Scott, for example, has been scratched plenty of times over the years but played every game for the Sabres, Rangers or Hawks Vs. the Bruins). If the team has a 230pd scrappy Dman as the 7th Dman, then he will circle the Bruins on the calendar because he knows he is way more likely to play that game.
Teams want to physically challenge and see how they match up with the BIG, BAD BRUINS and they raise their game to do so--and then we, as fans, get mad when our team looks flat for long stretches.

Is it a coincidence that, even though he was put on the 4th line, Lucic's only ZERO hit game of his entire hockey life was against the Sabres?
I don't think so... we were watching Thornton cower to Scott repeatedly at that point and if Lucic went out to bang bodies he wouldn't have the "I'm a top line player" angle for turning down Scott as they were clearly both 4th liners that game. So he disappeared. I don't blame Lucic either unless he wanted to risk having his nose broken again right before the playoffs (like 2011 with Rosehill).

Again, I think we could use a guy that can play an NHL shift and --from time to time-- add a big, fresh physical presence over an impossibly long 82 game season that:

a) keeps Thornton fresh (and hopefully uninjured)
b) backs up the Big, Bad Bruins persona that we have without Lucic and Chara having to do too much of the heavy lifting.

Anyone who has a problem with that should stitch a winged-wheel over the B's crest.
According to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...pN4XyJMYpivLYF

He had 4 zero hit games just from March 27th on, 2 of those were against Carolina, and 1 was against the big bad....Habs?

Old
07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
How can a guy play on the 4th line, get little ice time, have as many fights as anyone in the league and 90% of the fight are of the "agreement" type, not be a goon?
IMO John Scott is a goon. He can not play the game of hockey.

Shawn is an enforcer.

IMO there is a difference.

07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
According to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...pN4XyJMYpivLYF

He had 4 zero hit games just from March 27th on, 2 of those were against Carolina, and 1 was against the big bad....Habs?
Sorry, I worded that very poorly; I am trying to say that that was the only ZERO hit game of his hockey life when he's been on the 4th line (a very different role than the 1st/scoring line).
He's gone into no-hitting mini funks before (I remember seeing one on the Giants) but whenever he has not been physically engaged in the NHL then Julien has dropped him down to the bottom 6 to remind him how he butters his bread. Whenever he gets dropped down he comes out hitting, no? There was a lot of talk before that Sabres game about Lucic going all the way from 1st for 4th line (pretty huge demotion) and Lucic, for the first time in his hockey life, didn't come out hitting. I believe it was because he knew he couldn't start running around again without Scott forcing the issue.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Sorry, I worded that very poorly; I am trying to say that that was the only ZERO hit game of his hockey life when he's been on the 4th line (a very different role than the 1st/scoring line).
He's gone into no-hitting mini funks before (I remember seeing one on the Giants) but whenever he has not been physically engaged in the NHL then Julien has dropped him down to the bottom 6 to remind him how he butters his bread. Whenever he gets dropped down he comes out hitting, no? There was a lot of talk before that Sabres game about Lucic going all the way from 1st for 4th line (pretty huge demotion) and Lucic, for the first time in his hockey life, didn't come out hitting. I believe it was because he knew he couldn't start running around again without Scott forcing the issue.
More likely that that bit of motivation didn't resonate with him that time. Otherwise, he'd have registered a zero or two in the games in between when his role was to hit less, and Scott theoretically would have neutered the team after KO'ing Thornton.

In reality, Lucic already started not hitting against the Sabres after the Miller incident, and the connection is far more likely that he gives consideration to retribution from the league in those games.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:35 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes, the carnage was awful in those games. Blood all over the ice, broken bones, players carted off on stretchers....

Wait, what?
oh look! who shows up with more pointless sarcastic hyperbole.

bravo bravo

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Wait, what?
More hyperbole as you love to say...

Did you watch those games? Thornton and Campbell getting destroyed in fights weren't the only things going on...Stafford elbow on Dougie? Khudobin knocked over a half dozen times...Scott elbow on Paille...Scott on Pervws...Ott and Kaleta taking turns on kill shots with Krejci..over and over...those kinda things

It's fine though, you have made it clear you are perfectly fine with a team being selectively reactive to those sorts of things...

In the end it doesn't matter, but don't pretend there weren't liberties taken in those games...Scott shut the Bruins up in the 2013 games vs Buffalo, just like he was brought there to do.... Sabres got one thing right atleast..

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote