HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

Old
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/07...oin-spitfires/

More DLR quotes about how much he wants to go to Windsor.

Boughner also sees him as a center:
Man, i hope so much that Habs and DLR's agent will find a way to make it work!!!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Hockeyfrilla

sounds like Leksand wont release him to Windsor:

http://translate.google.com/translat...an-montreal%2F

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
le_sean

Well that's a shame. You'd think they'd allow an 18 year old to go where he wants.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Not much of a surprise. Leksand has nothing to gain from DLR continuing his career in the CHL. Frankly I don't really have a problem with it, I just hope he gets good playing time over there.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

So SEL (yes I'm still going to call it that), WJC's in Sweden, then OHL in 2014-2015, then Hamilton in 2015-2016.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So SEL (yes I'm still going to call it that), WJC's in Sweden, then OHL in 2014-2015, then Hamilton in 2015-2016.
Not a bad route at all.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Like others have said as long as he get's playing time I have absolutely no problem with it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can't wait to see the icetime....just can't wait...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Papa_Bear_21

I, for one think it's BS. This is just sour grapes on the part of Salo, someone who made a bunch of dollars playing in the NHL.

Why keep him to play 8 minutes a game on the 4th line when he's going to leave after the season (probably a lot more bitter) anyways? And with his team having just been promoted to the SEL (btw, re-naming it the SHL to somehow make a correlation to the NHL is just d*mb IMO), there's little reason to believe he gets much more ice time next season.

I mean, except for rare cases, don't Swedish players that stay in Sweden typically make a big jump in their development at an older age (like 21-23) rather than just after being drafted?

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Grant McCagg

This isn't a terrible thing. Just found out he'll be participating in several U-20 and U-19 tournaments for Sweden, including a 4 nations tourney (or it might be 5) in Lake Placid that I hope to attend.

He is already very good defensively..wouldn't surprise me if he gets quite a bit more ice time this season too in Leksand.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Erik Estrada

Maybe he can "retire" from the SEL.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Not a bad route at all.
Not a fan of players switching leagues/teams too often. Would rather OHL-OHL-AHL or SEL-SEL/AHL-AHL.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
This isn't a terrible thing. Just found out he'll be participating in several U-20 and U-19 tournaments for Sweden, including a 4 nations tourney (or it might be 5) in Lake Placid that I hope to attend.

He is already very good defensively..wouldn't surprise me if he gets quite a bit more ice time this season too in Leksand.
I was hoping he would play in OHL this year but this news about him playing in the tournaments makes me feel better. He needs the ice time.....

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
You can't fault Leksands - he's their player, he's under contract for this season and he's a regular. They had little incentive to let him get out of his contract other than being kind. If you want to blame someone, blame DLR's agent for signing him to this contract, or DLR himself for not telling his agent about his apparent desire to play in the CHL before signing this deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
including a 4 nations tourney (or it might be 5) in Lake Placid that I hope to attend.
That would be in August, right? Galchenyuk played in that mini-tourney last summer, I remember they played the Finns and Swedes.

McCarron, Vail, Collberg, DLR and Lehkonen should all be there.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You can't fault Leksands - he's their player, he's under contract for this season and he's a regular. They had little incentive to let him get out of his contract other than being kind. If you want to blame someone, blame DLR's agent for signing him to this contract, or DLR himself for not telling his agent about his apparent desire to play in the CHL before signing this deal.

That would be in August, right? Galchenyuk played in that mini-tourney last summer, I remember they played the Finns and Swedes.

McCarron, Vail, Collberg, DLR and Lehkonen should all be there.
It's completely ridiculous.
Now, they know he will bail the **** out as soon as the year is over. Do you really think they'll invest time in his development?

I wish it would be possible for him to just GTFO from there and do his thing.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with drafting Swedish prospects. They all end up not developing their scoring/offensive skills, because they're treated like scum by their clubs.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
It's completely ridiculous.
Now, they know he will bail the **** out as soon as the year is over. Do you really think they'll invest time in his development?

I wish it would be possible for him to just GTFO from there and do his thing.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with drafting Swedish prospects. They all end up not developing their scoring/offensive skills, because they're treated like scum by their clubs.

Collberg will be fine and DLR will be done after one more year.
No need to rush either.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Ugh.. I am all for the development in Sweden. However, once the guys are drafted they should come over to the CHL. I think it is better for their development and it saves them a year or so in the road to the NHL route.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
That simply isn't true.

They develop their skills, as can be evidenced from the number of Swedish players in the NHL that have played in the SEL(I'm stubborn).

Statistically it isn't any fun for HF posters to follow them and brag of their accomplishments to other fanbases but they are developing nonetheless. I think that Swedish teams can be a little conservative at times in their handling of young players but it seems to work.....just not as statistically obvious to those who don't get to see them regularly.

I also think you would have a difficult time in finding corroborating stories of "being treated like scum" from top Swedish prospects.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That simply isn't true.

They develop their skills, as can be evidenced from the number of Swedish players in the NHL that have played in the SEL(I'm stubborn).

Statistically it isn't any fun for HF posters to follow them and brag of their accomplishments to other fanbases but they are developing nonetheless. I think that Swedish teams can be a little conservative at times in their handling of young players but it seems to work.....just not as statistically obvious to those who don't get to see them regularly.

I also think you would have a difficult time in finding corroborating stories of "being treated like scum" from top Swedish prospects.
Have you seen how Collberg was used last season at the beginning of the year? Prospects in these league play under 10 minutes a game most of the time. These leagues spend 0 energy trying to develop players. And it's alarming a guy like DLR, who is a North and South, crash and bang player won't be able to come in NA sooner. Alarming might be a big word. I'll just say disappointing.

As for players not developing their offensive game over there, it's more and more the case. Josefson is a good example. Forsberg doesn't look like he's improved at all over there. Tedenby can be pencilled in as a bust now... And the list keeps growing.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Et le But

You guys need to stop pretending the CHL is the only way to develop players.

Sweden has a better track record of producing NHL players than anywhere else in Europe.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Have you seen how Collberg was used last season at the beginning of the year? Prospects in these league play under 10 minutes a game most of the time. These leagues spend 0 energy trying to develop players. And it's alarming a guy like DLR, who is a North and South, crash and bang player won't be able to come in NA sooner. Alarming might be a big word. I'll just say disappointing.

As for players not developing their offensive game over there, it's more and more the case. Josefson is a good example. Forsberg doesn't look like he's improved at all over there. Tedenby can be pencilled in as a bust now... And the list keeps growing.
Collberg was loaned down to the 2nd league for a third of the season and got to play in the playoffs and the WJC.

I think you should be more concerned with the Devils' handling of Swedish prospects than anything else. Forsberg pretty much doubled his production in less games, but there were concerns about his offensive upside at the draft which is why he dropped so much.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Collberg will be fine and DLR will be done after one more year.
No need to rush either.
Unil they have to adapt to the NA game as a 20+ year old, while yonger prospects already have. Mixed bag, but would bet on the latter. Just my .02 and hope eevryone is having a great summer!

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Should I list all of the 1st round busts that come out of the CHL? That list is much larger than the Swedish one and is growing exponentially faster. How about Scott Glennie from the Wheat kings who went 12 picks ahead of Josefson.

Forsberg looks absolutely fine as he more than doubled his production.....not sure where you were going with that one. The truth is that you are pissed with the handling of Collberg and you are now projecting your disappointment on Swedish hockey with misinformed generalizations.

Everyone needs to vent now and then so I will give you a mulligan on this one

Old
07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Maxpac

De La Rose will outmuscle competition in a big way if he steps in the CHL as a 19 year old..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
De La Rose will outmuscle competition in a big way if he steps in the CHL as a 19 year old..
This fact certainly didn't help Chad Kilger develop his skills in the OHL. Being bigger and faster than everybody meant that he didn't need to learn how to protect the puck and stick handle. He could just go around d-men or blast away from the outside.

If DLR is getting playing time in Sweden I would prefer that he stays there if he can't play in Hamilton.