HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs in 4th after 10 games

Old
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
At this point in the season the only semi-accurate measuring stick is points per game, and Montreal is tied with Nashville for 6th overall in the entire league. In the west they would be tied for 4th overall with Nashville at 1.3 points earned per game, in the east the Habs are third. Usually the coaches will break the season down into 10-game segments. Carbo will be plenty happy if the team can pick up 13+ points every ten games.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This after you convince me late last season that there are no stable top 5 teams in the league anymore.
Geez, I say a lot of stuff. I really said that ? Well, I guess, you have to gauge who "The Teams" are every year.

I guess this year,from the so called experts picks and what we've seen so far, you'd have to say Anaheim,SJ and Buffalo are the 3 teams that everyone wants to avoid. Ottawa,Detroit,Carolina,Dallas,Rangers,Devils, too soon to say. Maybe, I don't believe Mtl will be in whoever the top 5 turns out to be. It doesn't mean they couldn't beat them though.

I remember now, it was on the Canes board during the playoffs. I think I would stick with my arguement, there is a top [pick a number], or small elite group. It's harder to stay there for a long period, so the group can be pretty fluid.

Last edited by mcphee: 10-29-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: memory ret'd
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
and 2nd to last in the LHJMQ
They'd be 1st in the NBA Eastern Conference!

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
At this point in the season the only semi-accurate measuring stick is points per game, and Montreal is tied with Nashville for 6th overall in the entire league. In the west they would be tied for 4th overall with Nashville at 1.3 points earned per game, in the east the Habs are third. Usually the coaches will break the season down into 10-game segments. Carbo will be plenty happy if the team can pick up 13+ points every ten games.
Actually, isn't it 4th? Pittsburgh's PPG average is 1.333.

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Pittsburgh has a game in hand. Had they played it, they would most likely be in 4th.
If they win it, they beat out NJ and end up in third. That leaves MTL in 4th as they are tied with NJ and -- I'm not sure what the tiebreaker here is, but they have a game in hand and a better goal differential (they are actually positive, unlike the Devils!).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If they win it, they beat out NJ and end up in third. That leaves MTL in 4th as they are tied with NJ and -- I'm not sure what the tiebreaker here is, but they have a game in hand and a better goal differential (they are actually positive, unlike the Devils!).
True dat.
Sweet!

And that'll bump the Laffs down to 7th.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's not focus on points after 10 games. Are the Habs really better than all of the teams in the East that are currently behind them?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:36 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Chicago?
lol oops I forgot Chicago

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Well, with 13 pts, habs would be 8th in the Western Conference.
Your point being? If we were in the Western Conference, who knows what our record would be. We wouldn't be facing the same teams and so our record would most likely be different.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Toro

Yes after 20 is a better measuring stick but the short 10 game stick looks good.

Carbo seems to have identified the problems on the team and trying things to address them. We have 2 injurys to good defenceman and are still playing well enough.

Hopefully we keep it up and carbo's tinkering solves our line combinations.

If Kovalev proves to be the 2nd line center, we will be kicking butt, me thinks

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Habbadasher

Well, I think that after 82 games is the best measuring stick. Anyone can say, 10 or 20 games segments is best to use a measuring stick, however, a friend of mine who used to work in the Canadiens organisation told me they look at 10 games segments.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:03 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Are the Habs really better than all of the teams in the East that are currently behind them?
Maybe not all, but most of them. Certainly Toronto, Philly, Boston, Washington, Florida... Probably Tampa... Maybe even Carolina, especially right now with the injuries, they're not quite so magical as last year so far but we'll see.

Maybe not Ottawa if they right their ship, but they still need to do that and the Habs still went .500 against them last year.

We'll see. That's why they play the game and so far the Habs have done well. Who's to say it won't last?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Sthabs

It just all depends how you look at it

We re 4th but the Devils have 13 points too and played a game more than us , so we can grab the 3rd spot

On the other hand Washington, at 13th spot is only 3 points behind us with the same amount of game played

Pitsburgh is 7th with 1 point less but also a game in hand

It s way too close right now

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
...We re 4th but the Devils have 13 points too and played a game more than us , so we can grab the 3rd spot...
We can't grab the 3rd spot. It'll go to the Atlantic/Southeast division leader even if we pass them in points.

Old
10-30-2006, 05:30 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I start every year hoping they win their last game.
Well, the Leafs won their last game last season. And they're still gonna celebrate their 40th Cupless spring next June.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:58 AM
RC51

The Habs have done well to be in 4th over the first 10 games.
Lost only 2 games in reg time. PP and PK are doing well which shows that special teams are really important in the new NHL.

IS this as good as they are? NO.

over all two things come to mind.
Getting that 2nd line going ( perhaps as an all Russian line) that come to play and produces consistently is first on the list.

BUT, don't forget depth. A ton of teams are top heavy, meaning as long as their top line is healthy and produces all is well but if that top line gets hit with injury the team is doomed.

This is NOT the case with the Habs. Sure it would hurt but the Habs have many options, and good ones with some AHL prospects due to graduate soon and every month that goes by those prospects are getting better. Time works FOR the Habs in this case. These are options not many teams have. It only comes important later as the grind of 82 games starts to hit.

The Habs have kept up to the league with some injuries at defence right off the bat.

Carbo and Muller are bringing both new ideas and old ideas into the mix. The PP and PK are showing it.

So the Habs have a good team, with options to stay good and a good potential to get even better.
As a team the Habs need to live through two important things, a looseing streek and how they react, and a winning streek and how they react. This will tell just how far this 2006-7 team goes in the playoffs.

Looking way way forward, The Habs should be able to tweak itself into a really good 4 line NHL team. Dangerous on 3 lines and a TOP TIER shut down line and two very good PK duo's

On the Cap front, Gainey will have to adjust a few things for next year to keep all the best assets but then again there is a very seeable way to do it already. So no worries there.

SO no 7.5 mil players for the habs, just a bunch of good players.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:29 AM
mcphee

So it seems you can look at it 2 ways. They haven't played great hockey. So we can conclude that either, they are lucky to have 13 points and the end is near, or that the sky is the limit when they start playing well.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote