HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's your Gregory Campbell moment?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Luckily and thankfully I haven't had a moment like this... Yet.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:07 AM
jeffl97

I'm a smaller player, but I play a big game. Kind of like a Backes type player. Anyways I went to hit this guy (which was the right play) only he had 6" and 30+ lbs on me. He saw me coming and hit me back, and instantly I knew something was wrong with my shoulder. Skated to the bench, tried to tell myself it was okay and went out for another shift. Won the faceoff, but it hurt like hell so I skated off again. Tried one more time, won another faceoff, and called it quits for the night. Turns out I separated my shoulder and had to wear a sling for a bit. Won 2 faceoffs though.

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Hatsun

In Bantam I got speared to the side of my body, instantly dropped and the only thing I could think of was get to the bench. Crawled to the bench, my side was in so much pain. I wanted to play still but I was told no. Sat on the bench for the rest of the game. When the game ended, headed to the bathroom and ended up urinating blood, told my teammates I had my first period. Went to the doctors and it turned out to be a bruised kidney.

Hatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Maccas

Not exactly Campbell-esque but I got boarded pretty heavily from behind about 10 mins into a full checking game where I suffered whiplash. I was in pain and a bit stiff but thought it would loosen off and continued the rest of the game. Actually played alright for the rest of the game but was out for about 2 months for it to heal up!

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I caught my skate in a rut during pickup, felt it pop. Sat on the bench for a bit and it felt fine so I got back out there.

That was pretty stupid. I had an MCL sprain.
I did the exact same thing once minus the pop and just kept skating through the pain for a few weeks (the original incident was whilst refereeing so I wasn't about to get off the ice anyway). Then I aggravated it pretty badly in a game after a few weeks of my knee being of questionable strength, and had to take 6 weeks or so off.

07-16-2013, 04:01 AM
madguitarist

Played half a season with 3 cracked ribs. Caught a shot from the side when I wasn't expecting it in warmups. Playing made the pain go away.

madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:19 AM
NateTheGr8

quit minor hockey cause we only had 7 players and i got to wear a visor in rec , first game got a stick in the face and had it cut but finished the shift, stitches after haha

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatsun View Post
In Bantam I got speared to the side of my body, instantly dropped and the only thing I could think of was get to the bench. Crawled to the bench, my side was in so much pain. I wanted to play still but I was told no. Sat on the bench for the rest of the game. When the game ended, headed to the bathroom and ended up urinating blood, told my teammates I had my first period. Went to the doctors and it turned out to be a bruised kidney.
One hell of a first post

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Hatsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
One hell of a first post
I've lurked on hfboards for years but for some reason wanted to share that story lol.

Hatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

3 minutes left in one of my games in midget, tie game, made a pass and took a pretty harmless hit, shoulder got twisted it up once I hit the boards, went back into the play but i could hardly grip my stick with my right hand. Still made my way to the net, shot from the point, rebound to me and I manage to put enough power on the puck to get it out in front and my linemate taps it in.

Went to the doctor right away and it turns out I broke my clavicle, tore my rotator cuff and sprained my AC joint.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:09 PM
mbeam

It's not really a Gregory Campbell moment but since we're all talking injuries, this happened in a pick up game last night (routinely, the same 30-40 guys cycle through the lineup. It's very casual and fun while still trying to keep it competitive).

It was at the very end of the game, our player was taking the puck up the ice, skating by the benches, when the guy checking him gave him a bump and sent him into an open gate (a change had just occurred) at full speed. I haven't heard anything about what the official damage was but he was down and out, and I'm assuming has a few cracked ribs. Pretty bad whiplash too from hitting the ice as his helmet must have cut him behind the ear. He was also cut a bit around his mouth.

It was a one in a million, horridly "perfectly" timed play and there was really no intent. Unfortunately, the guy who gave him the bump is one who has a history of taking it a bit too seriously and throwing stupid interference type checks at this pickup. It's a shame it was him just because of his reputation...

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Morlesio14*

I had a bit of a gregory campbell moment myself, a couple games previous, i was hit hard and landed on my arm awkwardly. i had to miss a couple games because i was in a lot of pain. The first game back after a few weeks, i was killing a penalty and i blocked a shot with that same arm, my arm was in so much pain and i had to finish the shift even attempting the clear the puck but ultimately failing because i could nor pass or shoot with my messed up arm. i had to miss a few more weeks after

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
intangible

First, let me preface: I play goalie and defenseman. The bad part is even though I play out occasionally, I still block a LOT of shots. Like 8-12 a game, and I'm not joking. Okay, so let's get with it...

About a year and a half ago in the last game of the regular season, I blocked a shot with my right foot. Immediately upon impact it went numb. Stayed out there and played the rest of the game just fine (albeit numb). Couple days later we had a scrimmage, and while it hurt to walk around, skating wasn't bad at all, so I continued to play. Ended up going to the emergency department after hobbling around painfully for about a week, and they couldn't find anything on the x-ray and sent me home.

Thing is, it didn't hurt when I skated. So I kept playing out and doing well, playing in our playoff games. A couple weeks prior a friend somehow talked me into playing goalie for his roller team, which I didn't really want to do. But I went to the game, got dressed, and got out there. On the FIRST shot in the game, I went down in the butterfly and felt a snap in my foot and couldn't get up and stand on it. I ended up playing back-to-back games, for about two hours, on my knees, and we still won one game and barely lost the other because my team was tired. Couple days later it was still so painful that I went to the Urgent Care, who again took x-rays and again said they couldn't see anything and sent me home again. I asked for an orthopedic referral, though, and made an appointment for like three days later.

When I got x-rays done at the orthopedic surgeon's office, he immediately pointed out that my foot was broken in three places, and it didn't show up on the previous x-rays because that kind of fracture doesn't show up for about 2 weeks, and just shows up as a small cloud. He gave me a boot (that he overcharged for, btw), and told me no hockey for 6-8 weeks.. which I of course promptly ignored and continued playing out since it didn't hurt out there, haha. No goalie, though.

(As an aside, I rebroke my foot about 2 months ago on another shot block. Pretty much same spot, same kind of fracture. I didn't do anything for it, though.. didn't hurt as badly, and healed nicely.)

-------------

Another recent story is from a few weeks ago. Our goalie was really, really struggling in the game, so I knew I had to block EVERYTHING that came his way. Guy winds up, takes a slapper, and I block the shot with the side of my right knee. Immediately heard a HUGE bang (the plastic bending in on itself) and lots of pain. The puck ended up in the corner and a guy and I basically checked each other into the corner, and my stick went flying. Puck gets into the middle, so I left my stick in the corner, hurt knee and all, and go back to the front of the net so I can block more shots. I end up blocking two more, and also attempt to swipe the puck out of the zone using my hand twice, too. My favorite part was when I went into the butterfly right in front of a forward in the slot, which made him think twice about shooting.

Finally got off the ice and stayed in the game. Ended up with a bruise that, a couple days later, extended over a foot and a half up and down my leg from the impact point. The worst part, though, is that the impact point BURNED to the touch, which apparently indicates damage to tendons and ligaments. I still ended up playing the night after despite it burning to put the shin guards on and was painful to skate. Took a couple scrimmages off after that, and didn't play goalie for three weeks.

It still burns to the touch, but at least the bruising is down enough that I can play in net, as I did last Sunday.

Good times all around.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
roffleburger

The doctor tells you no hockey for 6-8 weeks and you ignore him? That's a smart move...

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
LeanBeef

My stick got stuck in between the boards and I jabbed myself on the ribs followed by a dirty hipcheck in which I landed awkwardly on the ice. Played the rest of the game (only around 5 mins though), went to the doctor the next day and it turns out I had two broken ribs

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:38 AM
JxStaalx11
#BeauKnows!

popped my hip out when i was 17 playing AA tier 2 hockey and there was a divit or something like that in my crease and rolled my ankle fell on my hip popped it out and kinda like stack the pads but threw my self in a circular motion to stop it some how. hurt like hell.

JxStaalx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:48 AM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffleburger View Post
The doctor tells you no hockey for 6-8 weeks and you ignore him? That's a smart move...
Didn't hurt to skate. When you think about the way your foot is stabilized in an ice hockey skate, there's really very little pressure on the top of your foot, where I got hurt. I tend to keep my skates very tight, so it's very stabilized.

Plus, it was playoffs, lol.

Couldn't play goalie, though, as the pronation involved puts stress on your foot, and that hurt like hell.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:20 AM
wingfan

I was playing Bantam AA Little Caesar's I was cross checked from behind and I was able to get my arm up to stop my head from hitting the boards. My elbow pad slid out of place and I hit directly on my elbow. It hurt pretty bad but I kept playing and ended up potting 2 goals. Got to the locker room and my elbow was the size of a baseball. I went to the med center and I had three big bone chips floating around in there which had to be removed surgically. Ahh, the good old days...

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
sandysan

Not so bad but somewhat memorable. In the playoffs in mens league ( we were up by 2 in the third) got caught with my head down ( it was entirely my fault) and tagged pretty good. For some unknown reason my helmet twisted and ripped a gash over my eyebrow. I spend the rest of the game bleeding into a towel on the bench. They score three ( not because I was off the ice, the teams fortunes were never tied to me). After the game a guy on the other team has some sterile silk and stiched me up ( I think he was a dental or oral surgeon student). The next morning I know something is not right, go to the er the doctor suspects broken orbital bone, I get a Cat scan and the doctors are incredulous as to why the hospital that did the stiches let me go. I tell them, they initially declare me an idiot then say the guy did a good job and it would not likely scar, and true to their word it didnt. No broken orbital but probably had a concussion that resolved itself pretty quick. As it was the last game of the season, I never got to thank the guy who stiched me up.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Fire Dumboer

I didn't get hurt but in my first game when I 5 I blocked a shot with my cage.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Geo73

I was the Anti-Campbell. Playing point on the PP, I ripped a slapper over a shot-blocking forward - and cracked my guy screening the goalie right in the cup.

Cup split in half but not completely thanks to the rubber edging and, you guessed it, trapped one of his male parts.

Can still hear the screams, poor guy. No-one could really tell what his issue was as only I saw where the shot hit, but I was no use as I was on my hands and knees killing myself with laughter! He got stretchered off, but was able to play about 10mins later after removing himself from his broken cup. His wife has never forgiven me!

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

I was a freshman playing roller hockey and I was always very fast and defense responsible player so I played the PK. This guy M. Sanders who was on the cover of USA Hockey for roller hockey and also a senior tried to pull some fancy deke around me and I stole the puck and scored on a breakaway. This was the game winning goal with about 30 seconds left. After the goal he skated to me celebrating and elbowed me in the back of the head. The rest of my team jumped on him and beat him up. The captain of our team helped me up and said great goal man welcome to the team. This was over twelve years ago and I hope the guy grew up. I have seen him on the ice and it prides me to know I am better than him now.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
El Cohiba

Good thread! I have a few

Picked off a pass at the red line, deked a guy and came in on a 2-on-1 and slid it over to a teammate. The guy who I deked blasts me from behind (I was about 6' 150, I'd say he was 6'3 190) and I flew into the boards, fracturing my thumb. I finish the shift, get to the bench, and felt a narley pain in my shoulder. Ended up finishing the game, took off my shoulder pads and discover a huge swollen ball on my left shoulder. Go to the doctor and find out that I both fractured my thumb but also tore every ligament in my shoulder. Damn thing still clicks five years later.

I also once dove down and took a slapper to the nuts. Being the young invincible idiot that I was, my cup was too small and the puck caught right under it. Tried to get up but went back down, play was blown dead. I got to the bench and hurled, finished the game. Let's just say my nut looked a blue golf ball when I got undressed

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Green Blob*

Nothing really comes to mind as that crazy. I play adult now and if im hurt i get the hell off the ice to the bench. No reason to show how "manly" i am and further injure myself.

I did finish a game with a hairlike fractured hip back in HS though. Then played a practice, and got laid the hell out while yelling at the kid coming at me that I was already hurt and not to hit me.. i finally went to the doc for xrays.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:08 AM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

Back in Bantams (which was a good while ago as I'm 22 now) during the district final I took a stick to the jaw and bled like crazy all over our away jersey (it was green but had white shoulders. **** looked like a Jackson Pollock painting). Ended up stopping the bleeding long enough to play the rest of the game getting a three point night/the tying goal/breaking the kid who stuck me's collarbone and winning the final in the process. Six stitches left a sick scar too.

ewoksonhoth is offline   Reply With Quote