HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers hire Ron Hextall as the new Assistant GM & Director of Hockey Operations

Old
07-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Codith

vCash: 500
This has been one of the best offseasons ever

Buy out nutcase goalie
But out Briere
Draft 2 potentially good to great Dmen
Sign a big Center to fill the #2 spot
Sign the best FA Dman (offensive dman at least)
Bring in a cheap low risk, potentially medium-high reward goalie
Bring in Hexy, who will essentially be the next GM

Realistically, there isn't a whole lot more we could have asked for, fine job by the organization to make these moves.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
seems like both now, but I'm mostly talking about his playing days. It does however seem like a lot of people here think he's going to be our front office savior
Not exactly sure why people think so highly of Hextall. LA was terrible for a few years and sold their team many times over to acquire lots of draft picks. He came there in June of 2006, so if look at the drafts after, they weren't that great. They had a ton of picks and only hit on a few, with a couple high end busts like Hickey and Teubert. He did do well getting the Kings AHL team in the playoffs every year, but does that make a future savior GM? Not gettin the love unless it is strictly based on his playing career.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00006664.html

Last edited by Psuhockey: 07-16-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Chairman & Governor - Ed Snider
President & COO of Comcast-Spectacor - Peter Luukko
General Manager - Paul Holmgren
Senior Vice President - Bobby Clarke
Executive Vice President - Keith Allen
Assistant General Manager & Director of Hockey Operations - Ron Hextall
Assistant General Manager - John Paddock
Assistant General Manager - Barry Hanrahan
Director of Scouting - Chris Pryor

Is that what the lineup is now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Dave Brown's former title was Director of Player Personnel and that has since been discarded with today's moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see John Paddock issued that job.

Brown is the head pro scout and the team of pro scouts answer to him (All Hill, Ross Fitzpatrick, etc.).

Chris Pryor controls the amateur scouting and the many amateur scouts, assigned to various regions, likely answer to him.

Hextall replaces Pryor as Director of Hockey Ops.

Barry Hanrahan remains Asst. GM with the salary cap being his primary function.
This isn't a confirmation until the team makes the proper adjustments on its website but here is how Frank @ the Daily News sees it, too:

Quote:
Holmgren said the Flyers reshuffled the titles of front-office members, though their day-to-day roles really will not change.

Chris Pryor will be the Flyers' director of scouting.

Dave Brown will be the head of pro scouting.

John Paddock, former assistant GM and assistant coach, will become player personnel director.

And Barry Hanrahan will remain assistant GM in charge of the salary cap and financial decisions.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ocwHmqrazrE.99

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Orwellian....2+2= 5

Quote:
And Barry Hanrahan will remain assistant GM in charge of the salary cap and financial decisions.
As far as Hextall...I also wouldn't call him the savior should Holmgren move on to some other capacity within the organization. I still would prefer the Flyers break up the family run business and do something like what the Sixers are doing with Hinkie. As I mentioned hopefully Hextall brings a newer perspective being that he's been away from the Flyers echo chamber for a while.

Also..I would have to agree with some on here that as a player Hextall was a bit overrated and there is nostalgia with him more than anything. His rookie year was awesome but then when he started with his groin injuries he started to be a frustrating goalie to watch particularly when it came to back breaking goals in the playoffs (Claude Lemieux anyone?). He was not exactly a clutch goalie but yeah he was a trailblazer with his puck handling skills until Brodeur and others came on the scene.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I feel like the GM vision is going to stay the same while Snider is in charge. No matter who they bring in.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I feel like the GM vision is going to stay the same while Snider is in charge. No matter who they bring in.
Yup..and I'm not sure it's a good idea. It's pretty obvious though that Hextall is most likely the heir apparent to Holmgren. I do agree with Meltzer though that Lavi will probably be gone before Holmgren and we won't see a Clarke and Hitch tandem ouster although one never knows. Maybe Holmgren says he's tired and wants to spend more time with his family ..or at least that will be Snider's script for Holmgren

Old
07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Hiesenberg

I don't think Holmgren's done a bad job, neither has Laviolette. I just don't see any justification in firing them. Sometimes the plan doesn't work, try a new plan, doesn't necessarily mean fire everybody.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I don't think Holmgren's done a bad job, neither has Laviolette. I just don't see any justification in firing them. Sometimes the plan doesn't work, try a new plan, doesn't necessarily mean fire everybody.
Holmgren in my view has been inconsistent. As I've noted he is probably the best GM in the league who fixes his own mistakes.

Lavi to me is on a short leash. I still don't think he is an adaptable coach at all. I still believe he will be gone by Christmas if the Flyers start off slow. It's up to the players to save his job and make him look better than he really is...

Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Orwellian....2+2= 5

As far as Hextall...I also wouldn't call him the savior should Holmgren move on to some other capacity within the organization. I still would prefer the Flyers break up the family run business and do something like what the Sixers are doing with Hinkie. As I mentioned hopefully Hextall brings a newer perspective being that he's been away from the Flyers echo chamber for a while.

Also..I would have to agree with some on here that as a player Hextall was a bit overrated and there is nostalgia with him more than anything. His rookie year was awesome but then when he started with his groin injuries he started to be a frustrating goalie to watch particularly when it came to back breaking goals in the playoffs (Claude Lemieux anyone?). He was not exactly a clutch goalie but yeah he was a trailblazer with his puck handling skills until Brodeur and others came on the scene.
Sorry to say that I disagree with the negativity you have towards Hexy. Just saying, nothing more than that.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:29 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
Sorry to say that I disagree with the negativity you have towards Hexy. Just saying, nothing more than that.
Thanks..you certainly haven't convinced me any differently either.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Would you prefer a different vision? Like lets try NOT to win a cup.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Hextall's playing career is overrated by most Flyers fans because we've simply had garbage in between the pipes for so many years. Aside from Parent and Lindbergh, we've had no one and because Hextall was a bat-**** crazy, scored a goal, and won all that hardware his rookie season, many people consider Hextall an "all-time great". Aside from his rookie season, he was mediocre and aside from providing lots of entertainment, nothing special between the pipes

Don't get me wrong, I love Hextall, but a lot of people need to tone it down with regards to him.

I do find this tibit about his junior career hilariosu though:

Quote:
Hextall began his junior hockey career with the Melville Millionaires in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL). In his solitary season with the club, he played 37 games with a goals against average (GAA) of 6.57. In one game that season, against the Prince Albert Raiders, Hextall faced 105 shots, and made 84 saves, a performance described as brilliant by the Regina Leader-Post. Although the Millionaires lost 21–2, the reporter noted that if it was not for Hextall, the Raiders could have scored "34 or 35". Millionaires teammate Mark Odnokon praised his performance, particularly the way "he lived up to his responsibilities and stayed in there until the end."
what kind of coach leaves their goalie in for an entire game when the final score is 21-2?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Would you prefer a different vision? Like lets try NOT to win a cup.
More like win now at all costs. Lots of people get on Snider because they make moves to always win now, some don't work, for the most part all of them haven't worked since they haven't won.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Holmgren in my view has been inconsistent. As I've noted he is probably the best GM in the league who fixes his own mistakes.
I'd have to give that title to Sather. That guy hands out bad contracts like candy and somehow finds ways to eventually get rid of them. In some cases like with Gomez, he actually got real assets back in return for his overpriced junk.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I'd have to give that title to Sather. That guy hands out bad contracts like candy and somehow finds ways to eventually get rid of them. In some cases like with Gomez, he actually got real assets back in return for his overpriced junk.
Meh I still think Holmgren edges out Sather...as #1 mistake fixer

Old
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Welcome back Hex! Can the Flyers use him as a goalie coach as well.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:04 PM
potsiev2

kings fans in shock over how anyone would want to be a part of this franchise after the way they treated richards/carter and every other player that's been part of this franchise

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
kings fans in shock over how anyone would want to be a part of this franchise after the way they treated richards/carter and every other player that's been part of this franchise
I don't see it....Franchises can treat their players anyway they want for the money they dish out on players. Pay me 5mil a year and I wipe Homers ass!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I don't see it....Franchises can treat their players anyway they want for the money they dish out on players. Pay me 5mil a year and I wipe Homers ass!
Holmgren's not amused face...

Old
07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
kicksave27

Hextall and flyer fans were a perfect marriage. Pre-groin injury he was just freaky athletic for a guy his size. He had trouble adapting to the butterfly style of play as his career went along, and many of those back breaking goals were a result of that. Although he was nuts on the ice, he's a really nice guy off it, which can be said for most hockey player's I've met.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:19 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Awesome!

He played a big role in Voynov's signing recently right? Wonder why he left FlyersWest to come home. Eventual Homer replacement?
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm very happy with this "signing". This made a pretty decent offseason into an even BETTER one for Homer.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
So Homer picks up Emery as the contingency plan for Mason, and picks up Hextall as a contingency plan for himself.

07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
kicksave27

So our front office has Dave Brown, Ron Hextall, and Homer. That's not a front office to be messed with.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
So our front office has Dave Brown, Ron Hextall, and Homer. That's not a front office to be messed with.
Was it Brian Burke who wanted to have a fight with another GM over an offer sheet? I'd love to see someone try that with the Flyers' front office. They'd kick everybody else's ass in the NHL.

Like the move, especially since this might be as close to an "outside voice" as the Flyers under Snider will get. Hexy's got experience in another org, he's been successful, and at the same time Flyers' fans love him and he's part of the family. A win all around.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Was it Brian Burke who wanted to have a fight with another GM over an offer sheet? I'd love to see someone try that with the Flyers' front office. They'd kick everybody else's ass in the NHL.

Like the move, especially since this might be as close to an "outside voice" as the Flyers under Snider will get. Hexy's got experience in another org, he's been successful, and at the same time Flyers' fans love him and he's part of the family. A win all around.
It was Brian Burke. He was talking about Kevin Lowe the GM at the time of Edmonton.

I can't remember where it was but Burke talked about how he had an encounter with Homer back in the minors during their playing days and how Homer KO'd him.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote