HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How Basketball Overtook Hockey as the Most Popular Youth Sport in Canada

Old
07-15-2013, 07:12 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
I'd say soccer and basketball are easily more popular than hockey for kids in Vancouver. In Winnipeg though, it's very easy to find street hockey being played.

Aside from "Americanization", no one wants to talk about how the mounting number of safety equipment has made the sport increasingly inaccessible, or how parents becoming less involved means they have to pay other people to teach the kids the basics, or how there's such an obsession to always "learn" from the best many parents feel their kids will fail if they don't go to some camp with a former NHL'er. All of that makes hockey a very expensive sport, and not many people want to pony up the dough in an uncertain economy.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mf00lery View Post
Yeah, I used to live in Mississauga and I didn't see street hockey nearly as much. When I moved to Barrie that all changed. There is street hockey everywhere here. Toronto (the GTA) is a different animal.

However, Toronto does have a lot of managed outdoor rinks with Zambonis and everything. I play on the one at Wallace Emerson (Dufferin and Dupont) and at Earlscourt (St Clair and Landsdowne) every winter. They are both beautiful outdoor rinks (Toronto has 53 outdoor rinks that are managed by the city) and they are always full of people playing hockey from the end of November to early March.
Odd. I grew up in Mississauga. Street hockey was very popular. Usually on residential roads or tennis courts (without the net). I left a couple years ago, so who knows.

Last edited by saffronleaf: 07-15-2013 at 07:59 PM.
saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
What do they mean by "participates in basketball?" Does this mean play in organized leagues? Or does it also include pick-up games and playing ball at recess?

I'm sure if you combined ice hockey, street hockey, ball hockey, and roller hockey, basketball still lags behind.

Seems just like they're throwing numbers out there.
School leagues probably tip basketball over hockey. When I was growing up, every elementary and high school in the district had a boys' and girls' basketball team. If you were at all athletic, you usually tried out for the team. All you need is a ball and a gymnasium, which every school surely has. Very few schools have their own rink - hockey is pretty much an exclusively outside-of-school sport.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:16 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Odd. I grew up in Mississauga. Street hockey was very popular. Usually on residential roads or tennis courts (without the net). I left a couple years ago, so who knows.
Could be the part of the city I was living in. I was at Dixie and QEW area. Maybe more seniors down there, so less kids to potentially be playing hockey?

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Some of the smaller areas certainly, the old Oshawa Ski Club between Oshawa & Garden Hill, Chicopee, Mansfield & Devils Elbow, others, you live in the area, Seasons Passes, fun times, social situation for the kids & parents alike. Kids soon grow bored with the lack of vertical & challenge, Mom & Dad expected to cough up. Camp on the Hortsman Glacier at Whistler. Trips to Quebec, Collingwood. How do they get there if you dont pay for it? Its pricey Mork. Know all about it.
I raced when I was in high school which was a great way to see most of the resorts in southern Ontario, including the private ones like Osler, not that any of them are something someone from BC or PQ would get excited about. The lift ticket costs aren't too bad, especially during midweek or for night skiing, etc, but where people really go crazy is on the equipment and attire which is much more of a social thing than a necessity. The other thing is what people pay to join private, members only clubs. At the base of the north chair at blue mountain there is a private club called the TSC. People pay exorbident amounts just to be able to use the club house, go to the parties, etc, otherwise blue is a public hill.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post

My wife and I gave up on hockey raising four sons and three daughters in Southern Ontario. Downhill skiing is less expensive, better exercise and more fun. Hockey priced itself out of our market.
I love downhill skiing too, but unless the chairlift is broken it is certainly not better exercise.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Ernie

The only way this makes sense is if they're saying that throwing the basketball around occasionally is participating.

If you want to go by organized sports, soccer has got to be far and away the most popular still.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
The only way this makes sense is if they're saying that throwing the basketball around occasionally is participating.

If you want to go by organized sports, soccer has got to be far and away the most popular still.
It's real sad we have all this immigration and youth soccer but we can't put together a top 20 FIFA team.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Americanization is part of this, too, and shouldn't be brushed under the rug. I mean, Canada's always been the way it is wrt American culture but as more and more outlets have opened up over the past 30 years, American pastimes have come to dominate in new ways.
Very true. When I was in middle school (2002-2006) didn't even have that many hockey fans. It was all about the NBA and NFL

Quote:
Yeah, I used to live in Mississauga and I didn't see street hockey nearly as much. When I moved to Barrie that all changed. There is street hockey everywhere here. Toronto (the GTA) is a different animal.

However, Toronto does have a lot of managed outdoor rinks with Zambonis and everything. I play on the one at Wallace Emerson (Dufferin and Dupont) and at Earlscourt (St Clair and Landsdowne) every winter. They are both beautiful outdoor rinks (Toronto has 53 outdoor rinks that are managed by the city) and they are always full of people playing hockey from the end of November to early March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Quote:
Could be the part of the city I was living in. I was at Dixie and QEW area. Maybe more seniors down there, so less kids to potentially be playing hockey?

Very true. I guess its the times. I think why play out side when you can play the xbox. I think it's because there's other stuff to do in the GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'd say soccer and basketball are easily more popular than hockey for kids in Vancouver. In Winnipeg though, it's very easy to find street hockey being played.

Aside from "Americanization", no one wants to talk about how the mounting number of safety equipment has made the sport increasingly inaccessible, or how parents becoming less involved means they have to pay other people to teach the kids the basics, or how there's such an obsession to always "learn" from the best many parents feel their kids will fail if they don't go to some camp with a former NHL'er. All of that makes hockey a very expensive sport, and not many people want to pony up the dough in an uncertain economy.
Another true point.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

I'm not Canadian, so forgive any fallacies-but to me one of Canada's greatest strengths (an attractive destination for immigrants) is in large part driving the rise of participation in sports like soccer, basketball, and football at the expense of hockey. In general, African, Asian, and South American immigrants are going to gravitate to what they know, what is easy to play, and what is cost effective. Hockey is really none of those things. The same thing happens in the U.S. but we have a much larger population so the effects aren't as pronounced.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Basketball is incredibly accessible even in Toronto. For every rink, there must be at least 10 basketball nets available in parks or schools which cost $0 to play in.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:33 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

When I was a kid, everyone played street hockey, now....not so much.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Rocko604

Thought this would be worth mentioning in this thread.

Carleton University knocked off Wisconsin last night 95-82 for their third straight win vs NCAA Div 1 teams this pre-season. All three wins have been by double digits. They play Syracuse on Friday.

It's nice to see a Canadian university do so well vs NCAA talent, although Carleton is the undisputed heavyweight champion in CIS basketball. No doubt they could hang in Div 1, depending on the conference.

Last edited by Rocko604: 08-22-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote