HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor: Larry Brooks Says Craig Conroy Being Shopped

Old
10-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
Craig Conroy has been very, well, kind of, yeah terrible, so far this season but he is 35 years old. 2006-07 Los Angeles NHL 10 0 1 1 -4

He is 35 YEARS OLD maybe you can talk Garth Snow out of a 1st round pick but your dreaming if you think Slats or Bob Gainey would make a rookie GM move like that on Conroy. And BTW stop using the Canes as an example they picked up D Wieght a much more involved hockey player than the perimiter playing CC, plus they had just made two big picks in the first round with JJ and Staal the GM could afford to offer up a pick. NYR and MTL don't have the JJ's or the Staal's in their system to give away a first on a marginal 35 yo who is also nowhere near first line material.
You haven't read any of the thread have you?

Conroy does NOT play strictly on the perimeter. You saying that automatically makes me know that you do NOT watch him play. He's stats have been bad because he's been playing the role of our shut down 3rd line center while McCauley is still on IR. Marginal? Get a clue man.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You haven't read any of the thread have you?

Conroy does NOT play strictly on the perimeter. You saying that automatically makes me know that you do NOT watch him play. He's stats have been bad because he's been playing the role of our shut down 3rd line center while McCauley is still on IR. Marginal? Get a clue man.

Hey man I've been watching Conroy since he was drafted ( I thought he was a steal drafted by Montreal in 1990 6/123) and when he played in the AHL. I've always liked the guy but if you read what I'm saying: at 35 he's on the down side of his career. The return you guys are looking for is a 1st round pick?????

That's it, that's MHO. I state why I feel this way, disagree if you want that's OK. I have the NHL centre ice package and watch CC a couple of times a week he had very good #'s with Jarome Iginla and last year with Pavol Demitra......you said it yourself he's not stepping up in the role he's playing. This is NOW.

So here's my clue!!!!! He's a third line, shut down C (right now), who's -4, make's $2.4 mill, and is 35 yo and in your opinion is worth a #1 round draft pick. That's the Mike Milbury's school for GM's "who dont thinks so good".

Have a nice day.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Hey man I've been watching Conroy since he was drafted ( I thought he was a steal drafted by Montreal in 1990 6/123) and when he played in the AHL. I've always liked the guy but if you read what I'm saying: at 35 he's on the down side of his career. The return you guys are looking for is a 1st round pick?????

That's it, that's MHO. I state why I feel this way, disagree if you want that's OK. I have the NHL centre ice package and watch CC a couple of times a week he had very good #'s with Jarome Iginla and last year with Pavol Demitra......you said it yourself he's not stepping up in the role he's playing. This is NOW.

So here's my clue!!!!! He's a third line, shut down C (right now), who's -4, make's $2.4 mill, and is 35 yo and in your opinion is worth a #1 round draft pick. That's the Mike Milbury's school for GM's "who dont thinks so good".

Have a nice day.
Again, he's only playing the 3rd line center role because we don't have anyone else whos responsible enough defensively for that job while McCauley is hurt. He hasn't had a chance to play with offensive players yet this year. He's been playing with guys like Tom Kostopolous and Raitis Ivanans.

Old
10-25-2006, 11:34 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Again, he's only playing the 3rd line center role because we don't have anyone else whos responsible enough defensively for that job while McCauley is hurt. He hasn't had a chance to play with offensive players yet this year. He's been playing with guys like Tom Kostopolous and Raitis Ivanans.
So what's he worth? He's a player most teams in need of a second line C could use.

Old
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
CBGB

Quote:
So what's he worth? He's a player most teams in need of a second line C could use.
These are the same people that...

a) thought that Paul Kariya was through after his bad season in Colorado - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a bargain price, but they, like most teams, passed.

b) thought Teemu Selanne was through after his bad season in Colorado - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a SUPER bargain price, but they, like most teams, passed.

c) thought anson Carter was through after his bad season in Washington and Los Angeles - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a SUPER bargain price, but they, like msot teams, passed.

d) thought Chris Chelios, Peter Bondra, and many many others were washed up, over the hill, and couldn't play.

Players WANT to play in Montreal. Eric Belanger has been whining for years about wanting to play in Montreal. This year he will get that chance... nd you know what will happen? Montreal will pass on him and Belanger will have a career year with Ottawa/Toronto/Vancouver.

You can talk about Craig Conroy being 35 and "over the hill" all you want, but let me ask you this:

While Carolina was picking up Doug Weight and Marc Recchi for the Stanley Cup run, whom did Montreal acquire?

Montreal was eliminated... again. Carolina won the cup.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
CBGB

Quote:

a) thought that Paul Kariya was through after his bad season in Colorado - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a bargain price, but they, like most teams, passed.

b) thought Teemu Selanne was through after his bad season in Colorado - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a SUPER bargain price, but they, like most teams, passed.

c) thought anson Carter was through after his bad season in Washington and Los Angeles - The wonderful Habs could have had him at a SUPER bargain price, but they, like msot teams, passed.

d) thought Chris Chelios, Peter Bondra, and many many others were washed up, over the hill, and couldn't play.

Players WANT to play in Montreal. Eric Belanger has been whining for years about wanting to play in Montreal. This year he will get that chance... and you know what will happen? Montreal will pass on him and Belanger will have a career year with Ottawa/Toronto/Vancouver.

You can talk about Craig Conroy being 35 and "over the hill" all you want, but let me ask you this:

While Carolina was picking up Doug Weight and Marc Recchi for the Stanley Cup run, whom did Montreal acquire?

Old
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post

Players WANT to play in Montreal. Eric Belanger has been whining for years about wanting to play in Montreal. This year he will get that chance... and you know what will happen? Montreal will pass on him and Belanger will have a career year with Ottawa/Toronto/Vancouver.

You still haven't addressed the question "what’s he worth"

Your obsession with the Habs is border line obsessive..........it's very humorous from my perspective, although, your physician may think a prescription is in order.

Yes the Habs passed on many of those players as did 29 other teams. They did pick up Kovalev(March 04 run)and David Aebischer March 06. And the Habs lost rounds to the Stanley Cup Champs in the last two trips to the dance. Not bad.
L.A.?

Old
10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Take a look at their career stats. Conroy may get the hype, but both are very similar players who have stepped up when paired with superior linemates.
perhaps a few years ago. throw the career stats out the window, because if you watch rucchin now or last season you can see he is done. he is adefensive player only.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
CBGB

Quote:
Y

Yes the Habs passed on many of those players as did 29 other teams. They did pick up Kovalev(March 04 run)and David Aebischer March 06. And the Habs lost rounds to the Stanley Cup Champs in the last two trips to the dance. Not bad.
L.A.?
L.A.? They STINK. We KNOW they stink. Here's what we also know. The HABS stink. I looked at your lines today and they are just awful. The DIFFERENCE between Kinga fans and Habs fans is that Kings fans KNOW we stink, will continue to stink for a few years and THEN we'll make our move. Habs fans think they are going to win the cup every single year.

Oh, what's Conroy worth?

What anyone is willing to pay.

What are teams willing to pay/overpay?

Those that want to win the cup (Carolina), pay (Weight). Those that don't (Montreal), don't pay (Kovalev).

Weight > Conroy

Conroy > Kovalev

Those that know me on LGK know my doctor, what prescriptions I'm taking and what section I sit in.

They also know I'm a REALIST. Realistically speaking, Conroy is worth a low 1st round pick (like New Jersey would care). The Kings also need a 2nd round pick (that we gave up for Cloutier), but players would need to be involved. Not scrubs like Bonk, but possible up-and-comers. Especially on the defensive side (which the Habs are thin).

So, Conroy will go to Buffalo/Ottawa/Pittburgh/Rangers/New Jersey and help them win a cup - The Habs will sign Allison or Chronic Yannick and sell that as being competitive to their fans.

Conroy may be 35 but he's still fast, still battles for pucks, still plays a solid defensive game and could dish the puck to Koivu better than anyone you curently have on your roster.

Your turn.

Old
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Conroy may be 35 but he's still fast, still battles for pucks, still plays a solid defensive game and could dish the puck to Koivu better than anyone you curently have on your roster.

Your turn.

say hello to Mr. Higgins....watch him dish the puck......Saku says thank you.

But to be honest with you the Habs don't need players to dish the puck to Saku, he's a playmaker. Nice try though.

Geez Mike Johnson has has a better ppg ave. than Conroy and has never been paired with Iginla or Demitra and skates faster. He's also younger, who isn't though on the Habs, Bob Gainey?

Old
10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
CBGB

Quote:
say hello to Mr. Higgins....watch him dish the puck......Saku says thank you.

But to be honest with you the Habs don't need players to dish the puck to Saku, he's a playmaker. Nice try though.

Geez Mike Johnson has has a better ppg ave. than Conroy and has never been paired with Iginla or Demitra and skates faster. He's also younger, who isn't though on the Habs, Bob Gainey?
We'll talk again later... you know... when the Habs are battling for the 8th and final playoff spot AGAIN, then are eliminated in the 1st round AGAIN and you are unhappy AGAIN.

Meanwhile with the 2nd pick in the 2007 draft, the Kings select...

Old
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Your obsession with the Habs is border line obsessive..........

also.... these > and these < should be banned

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
kingpin_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post

also.... these > and these < should be banned
Agreed...but on this topic, I think if you know what you have and know what you need, well go for it. Teams with insane amounts of young talent probably can afford to give up a future 2nd line centre. But Conroy'd have to go into the right situation. I'd have to look into it to find the right situation, but in the right situation (eg. Calgary with Iggy), he could be a dynamite acquisition.

kingpin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian* View Post
the most prolific setup man in the NHL today?

you're crazy
The most prolific set-up man in hockey??
Perhaps it is you who is crazy.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 08:57 AM
kimzey59

I really hate to break into the Montreal bashing going on in here, but I have a proposal to submit.

To St. Louis: Conroy
To LA: Cajanek, Woywitka, Shkotov, Disalvatore and Chicago's 4th round pick.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
CBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I really hate to break into the Montreal bashing going on in here, but I have a proposal to submit.

To St. Louis: Conroy
To LA: Cajanek, Woywitka, Shkotov, Disalvatore and Chicago's 4th round pick.
I'd cream in my jeans for that deal. Aint gonna happen. There's absolutely no reason for the Blues to acquire Conroy AND give up their youth.

Old
10-28-2006, 01:08 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
I'd cream in my jeans for that deal. Aint gonna happen. There's absolutely no reason for the Blues to acquire Conroy AND give up their youth.

1) The Blues need a legit center for Tkachuk VERY badly and Conroy is the best on the market right now. I don't think we're at "desperate" yet, but we're close. Cajanek has come on a little bit of late, but he isn't anywhere near as good as we need him to be. I'll probably get ripped for this, but I think if we get a legit #1/2 center to go with Tkachuk this team can make the PO's. I don't think we're that far off, and Conroy would likely be enough to get us in.

2) Which of that group of "youth" would we be hurt without?
Shkotov was just suspended by Pleau for refusing to report to Peoria. I can't speak for the Organization, but I don't think it will be too much longer before we wash our hands of him.
Woywitka is 9th or 10 on our current depth chart and doesn't look to have much future in St. Louis. He's another prospect I think we're about ready to wash our hands of.
Disalvatore is a nice prospect, but with Sejna, Glumac, MacMurchy, Birner, Kana, McCollem and Sackrison also in the system he's a little bit redundant. I don't have anything against Disalvatore, but I just don't see a future for him in St. Louis. I think it would be better for Jon and the Blues to move him in a deal for a legit scoring line center.
The 4th round pick is the last remnants of the Weight deal, and I have no problem dealing a "surplus" mid-round pick.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:42 PM
tomd

Quote:
from a kings POV there is nothing appealing about the st louis players offered in that deal.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
from a kings POV there is nothing appealing about the st louis players offered in that deal.
Exactly.

Old
10-28-2006, 09:17 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Not to mention the fact that the Kings wouldn't benefit from having four more useless players that they'd have to tender contracts to. At this point if you're "creaming" over Woywitka... give 'em Weaver... straight up. It's still not a smart deal, but it's fair and even on some level.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Unless Conroy is moved for just a draft pick, most likely there would be at least some salary coming back LA's way.

Word, plus some compensation for taking the salary.

- Ror

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
And what was Doug Weight worth to the Canes?

A 1st rounder, Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 4th round selection in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007.

For DOUG WEIGHT!

Guess what happened?

They won the cup.

Montreal cannot compete with Buffalo, Carolina or Ottawa or even the Rangers. They just don't have the talent. They're GOOD, but not ELITE.

Do you mean to tell me that if Buffalo, Carolina, Ottawa or even the Rangers offered the Kings a 1st roun pick PLUS a prospect for Conroy that the Habs wouldn't counter?

If you say "no", then you obviously know you're not going to win the Cup.

Not only would you deal a 1st round pick, you would have to deal Kostysyn AND another player.

Look at what Nashville had to give up for Witt.(1st rounder + Kris Beech)

Look at what Edmonton gave up for a part-time goaltender (24 games for Minnesota) in Roloson. (1st round selection in 2006 and a conditional 3rd round selection in 2006.)

How about what Caolina had to give up just to RENT that relic Rechi (Niklas Nordgren, Krystofer Kolanos and a 2nd round selection in 2007)

If I'm Dean Lombardi, I say to Montreal "Carolina and Edmonton made it to the finals because they made smart trades to improve their teams - and where did they finish the regular season".

Craig Conroy and MOST of the Kings defensemen are going to be hot, hot commodities come the trade deadline.

There are far too many teams competing for the playoffs. More than last year. The Kings, Blues and Coyotes are going to be sellers and the Kings have the most assets with the least amount of cap hit.

If Montreal DOESN'T deal, then you're going home... again.

Great post.

And the answer to the "What's Conroy worth?" question, where people either seem to be on the "he's worth a mid-tier or 2nd round prospect now" or the "he's worth 1st rounders and plus top prospects?", is:

...whatever DL can get for him.

It could be crazy. It might be nothing. I can tell you this, if it's so little as a mid-tier prospect/draft pick offer, DL probably won't trade him since he's an excellent character player who our young forwards like Brown and O'Sullivan from whom both could learn a lot.

Also, you notice that nearly all the people who value Conroy highly are ones who have watched him play either for St. Louis, Calgary or LA and a bunch of the people who think he's only worth a 2nd rounder base their arguments about stats? I wish hockey was just stats, then judging talent would be that easy and I could be an NHL GM too. This isn't fantasy league. Otherwise Mike Gartner starts looking better Mark Messier because he had a few more goals. Individual stats are only part of a much bigger picture.

- Ror

Last edited by Rorschach: 10-29-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote