HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers hire Ron Hextall as the new Assistant GM & Director of Hockey Operations

Old
07-16-2013, 01:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So Homer picks up Emery as the contingency plan for Mason, and picks up Hextall as a contingency plan for himself.
I don't think Holmgren's job is really in trouble.

I think Hextall will likely replace Holmgren within 3-4 years, but I expect this is because either Holmgren retired or Holmgren took a different position because someone else would be retiring (Bobby Clarke?)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
So our front office has Dave Brown, Ron Hextall, and Homer. That's not a front office to be messed with.
ummm i think you forgot to mention someone..

hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltA-14jF6l8

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It was Brian Burke. He was talking about Kevin Lowe the GM at the time of Edmonton.

I can't remember where it was but Burke talked about how he had an encounter with Homer back in the minors during their playing days and how Homer KO'd him.
Would love to see our management trifecta kick both Burke's and Lowe's lumbar lordosis's all over the place...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
It was Brian Burke. He was talking about Kevin Lowe the GM at the time of Edmonton.

I can't remember where it was but Burke talked about how he had an encounter with Homer back in the minors during their playing days and how Homer KO'd him.
I remember that article. The description of Homer's reaction when he was told Burke thought he did a good job standing up to Homer was priceless.

07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Akanon

Quote:

Fearless GM Paul Holmgren eyes Cup

Quote:
A summer hockey league, many years ago. A disturbance in front of one bench. A young Brian Burke stands and calls out one of the opposing players.

"The next thing I know, Paul Holmgren's standing in front of the bench," Burke recalled.

"He says, 'Come on, tough guy.'"

Over the bench goes Burke.

The two start trading punches.

Finally, the linesman steps in and Burke thinks to himself, that's it? That's all the famous tough guy from Minnesota has got?

"Then, boom, he comes with the left and he got me good," Burke said.

His eye swollen shut; the moment provided a lasting memory for the current Toronto general manager.

"I learned a valuable lesson that day and that was not to chirp at Paul Holmgren," Burke said.

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Awesome!

He played a big role in Voynov's signing recently right? Wonder why he left FlyersWest to come home. Eventual Homer replacement?

I say he get's Holmer's job within a year. Holmgren's recent moves were from direction from someone other than himself, so perhaps Pronger is being groomed for a head office job as well. I could see Hextall as GM with Pronger as assistant GM in the very near future. Holmgren could be available for alumni games only...that's about all Holmer is worth.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
I say he get's Holmer's job within a year. Holmgren's recent moves were from direction from someone other than himself, so perhaps Pronger is being groomed for a head office job as well. I could see Hextall as GM with Pronger as assistant GM in the very near future. Holmgren could be available for alumni games only...that's about all Holmer is worth.

Actually, Holmgren's recent moves are right in line with the kinds of moves he has a history of making...

Old
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Holmgren's not amused face...
Doesn't he ALWAYS look like that?!

Old
07-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

If anyone is interested Hextall will be on WIP in the next half an hour.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post

Actually, Holmgren's recent moves are right in line with the kinds of moves he has a history of making...
Yeah, you have a point there. However, I think he's been getting better scouting info involving the drafting.
Just look what he's done to his farm team recently by trading away so many potentially decent players for a get-the-Cup-quick scheme. The Adirondack Phantoms are an absolute joke, thanks to the inept dealing by Paul Holmgren.
Ron Hextall was brought back to the Flyers to re-build their farm team, as well as take control of hockey operations for this franchise.
If Holmgren knew what he was doing, I doubt this move would've ever taken place.
Hextall will be the next GM, and Holmer will be available for alumni games only!

Old
07-16-2013, 02:13 PM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Didn't he hold the same position with the Kings? As far as I know he wasn't fired so why did he leave? I figured he wanted to join the Flyers organization at one point I just don't get the timing really.
In LA he was assistant GM, with the Flyers he'll have that job as well as being the head of hockey operations for the franchise!
He is definitely Holmgren's replacement. The first thing on his check list is rebuilding the crippled farm team from Holmgren's inept deals which depleted the supply of prospects for this franchise.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yeah, you have a point there. However, I think he's been getting better scouting info involving the drafting.
Holmgren is a phenomenal judge of talent, but he hasn't been the single rock holding together our scouting department. He's great, but he's always had scouting help. This is no secret.

Quote:
Just look what he's done to his farm team recently by trading away so many potentially decent players for a get-the-Cup-quick scheme. The Adirondack Phantoms are an absolute joke, thanks to the inept dealing by Paul Holmgren.
Personally, I don't really care that the Adirondack Phantoms are a joke, but in truth, your comment throws out some falsehoods. The Adirondack Phantoms are not a joke because Holmgren is not good at his job. Theoretically, the Phantoms are a joke because in theory, Holmgren is too good at his job. We don't have high end prospects developing for a long time in the AHL because we draft players of a specific mold who can make bigger NHL impacts early. A lot of the guys who are selected in early rounds that become average NHL players generally spend a lot of developmental time in AHL. These eventual average or fringe NHLers generally become the backbone for AHL programs. The difference is that we take a lot of shots for the fences with often hit/miss results as is to be expected. Since we trade away a number of higher picks as well, we end up with a top-heavy prospect pool that can't compete at the AHL level.

That's fine though. We're not looking for exceptional fringe NHLers. We quickly rid ourselves of most players that obviously have no real shot as well.

Quote:
Ron Hextall was brought back to the Flyers to re-build their farm team, as well as take control of hockey operations for this franchise.
Our prospect pool is fine. Our player development is fine. Our roster is fine. Our drafting is fine. Our scouting is EXCELLENT.

Hextall is another voice in the mix who can help us; nothing more. Perhaps he's being groomed for the position, but I don't consider him a superior GM to Holmgren down the road. He has some fairly impressive shoes to fill.

Just because people around here don't consider Holmgren good at his job does not mean he isn't.

Quote:
If Holmgren knew what he was doing, I doubt this move would've ever taken place.
Hextall will be the next GM, and Holmer will be available for alumni games only!
Actually, dropping Holmgren without knowing how Hextall will be as a GM is a facepalm worthy move. Holmgren is one of the best in the business even if people around here are not willing to admit it.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
In LA he was assistant GM, with the Flyers he'll have that job as well as being the head of hockey operations for the franchise!
He is definitely Holmgren's replacement. The first thing on his check list is rebuilding the crippled farm team from Holmgren's inept deals which depleted the supply of prospects for this franchise.
You can focus on rebuilding the farm team...fine.

However, the minute we start playing that game is the minute we're charging headfirst for a Calder Cup, not a Stanley Cup.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

The farm team already looks a lot better for the upcoming season than it did going into the last.

They've shown that team is a priority, but the obvious focus is on the main club--where it should be.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

You guys are overreacting.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I don't think Holmgren's job is really in trouble.

I think Hextall will likely replace Holmgren within 3-4 years, but I expect this is because either Holmgren retired or Holmgren took a different position because someone else would be retiring (Bobby Clarke?)
Neither do I. But at the end of the day, it's hard to believe he isn't here without being groomed for succession.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I wish we were streaming Hextall's interview on WIP to the rest of the boards just to rub their noses in the whole "the Flyers' organization is gutless" nonsense.

Truth be told, I think that even if Hextall isn't the heir apparent for Holmgren, this is a great opportunity for him to learn about a top tier front office. Sure, LA did some great things in the last half decade, but the Flyers are a consistent model for how to run a franchise.

This really is a great career move, whether he becomes our GM or not.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Respectfully this is an absurd view on Homer as a GM overall. He has done a masterful job rebuilding and retooling our club. This is year 3 of the " rebuild" and our club looks to be in fine shape going into the 2014 campaign. Our farm club also looks solid and has plenty of young talent waiting in the wings.

I think most of us think Hextall will be the GM in the future and are fine with that, but to say HOMER is a terrible GM etc is absurd in my view. He is not perfect, but a helluva lot more effective than many think.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Neither do I. But at the end of the day, it's hard to believe he isn't here without being groomed for succession.
I agree. I think he's being groomed for the position, but I don't necessarily think that Holmgren is on the chopping block like some people here like to believe.

As I said, regardless of how this turns out for Hextall, being a part of this front office is only going to make him better. He's going to have a better shot at being a GM after coming through here than going through the Kings. The Kings have been good, but the Flyers are still and always the Flyers. Our front office is a great environment to groom GMs, and this is a significant opportunity for Ron.

Am I comfortable with Hextall as our GM next year? No. If you give him 3-4 years under Holmgren, I'd have no problem handing him the reigns.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Or maybe just maybe Snider started letting him actually do his job.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Stizzle

As others have said, it doesn't matter that much that Adirondack sucks. Just as long as we produce impact NHL players. You just have to be sure to hit homeruns on your first round picks (we always do), then sometimes hit on the 2nds (we haven't done that yet). In addition, find some diamonds in the rough in the later rounds or through college free agents (we have been very good at this). If the rest of your AHL roster is guys who never pan out, so be it.

You shouldn't build an AHL team in hopes to win the Calder Cup. You should build the team in hopes of producing an impact NHL player every so often like Read and Gus. Also, it is there to be a breeding ground for cheap bottom 6 type players like Harry Z, Mcginn, Rinaldo, Powe, etc.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 0
I approve this move.

Welcome home Ron

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Hextall on WIP: "There's a passion in Phila for Flyers that you don't see in other cities...I'm coming home. I love this city and its fans."
Source: Glen Macnow @RealGlenMacnow

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Orwellian....2+2= 5

As far as Hextall...I also wouldn't call him the savior should Holmgren move on to some other capacity within the organization. I still would prefer the Flyers break up the family run business and do something like what the Sixers are doing with Hinkie. As I mentioned hopefully Hextall brings a newer perspective being that he's been away from the Flyers echo chamber for a while.
It might not be on the same plane in terms of sports, but in Sam Hinkie's short time with the Sixers, they traded their only good player for a kid with a blown knee and some lottery balls, and can't find anyone to coach the team. The fact that he's been away from the echo chamber is what should please people because he excelled doing things in LA that have been abject failures for years here.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It might not be on the same plane in terms of sports, but in Sam Hinkie's short time with the Sixers, they traded their only good player for a kid with a blown knee and some lottery balls, and can't find anyone to coach the team. The fact that he's been away from the echo chamber is what should please people because he excelled doing things in LA that have been abject failures for years here.
So the timeframe for your judgement of Hinkie is a few months? Maybe he'll be a bust along with his moves but to pass judgement so soon reminds me of your unreasonable assessment of Rinaldo which continues....but hey to each their own.

As I noted Hextall being away from the echo chamber might help but we shall see..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote