HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Put on the GM hat

Old
07-16-2013, 01:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Right, but Toronto finally made the play offs last year. They aren't going to be looking for futures to replace known quantities, and as much as we love Bourque and Edmonton loves Klefbom, they are still young players who may or may not work out in Toronto. The 1st has value, but how much value to Toronto? Oh, and Toronto has $9m in cap space. I doubt they are too concerned with Phaneuf's cap hit.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Right, but Toronto finally made the play offs last year. They aren't going to be looking for futures to replace known quantities, and as much as we love Bourque and Edmonton loves Klefbom, they are still young players who may or may not work out in Toronto. The 1st has value, but how much value to Toronto? Oh, and Toronto has $9m in cap space. I doubt they are too concerned with Phaneuf's cap hit.
Toronto has 9 million in cap space with RFAs to sign such as Kadri, Franson, Gunnerson.

Those 3 agents could eat up all of the cap space available.

Kadri had 44 points in 48 NHL games at the vary least that will put him in the 3 million range. Possibly 4 million plus depending on the term A bridge contract is probably best for both that will be 3.2 to 3.8 million most likely.

Franson had 29 points in points in 44 NHL games. Tied his best season in Nashville where he had 29 points in 80 games. He should also be in the 2.5 million to even 4 million range. He will sign for really close to around 3 million a season.

Gunnerson had 15 points in 37 games last season. He's known more for his defense then offense. He should also be in the 2.5 to 3.5 million range. If they get lucky they will get him for the Alzner price of 2.8 million a season.

After resiging their 3 free agents they will be really close to the cap. Lets say Kadri is 3.4 million Franson is 3 million then Gunnerson is 2.8 million. That will amount to 9.2 millon.

9.72 million in cap space doesn't really explain the whole story when they have 3 key free agents to sign. That 9.72 million ends up being .52 million.

If their RFAs get more then the conservative numbers I estimated the could end up over the cap.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

My point is that they have no real reason to dump Phaneuf just because he is "overpaid" at $6.5m. They would have other options before they considered potentially making their team worse after finally making the play offs again.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Toronto has 9 million in cap space with RFAs to sign such as Kadri, Franson, Gunnerson.

Kadri had 44 points in 48 NHL games at the vary least that will put him in the 3 million range. Possibly 4 million plus depending on the term A bridge contract is probably best for both that will be 3.2 to 3.8 million most likely.

Franson had 29 points in points in 44 NHL games. Tied his best season in Nashville where he had 29 points in 80 games. He should also be in the 2.5 million to even 4 million range. He will sign for really close to around 3 million a season.

Gunnerson had 15 points in 37 games last season. He's known more for his defense then offense. He should also be in the 2.5 to 3.5 million range. If they get lucky they will get him for the Alzner price of 2.8 million a season.

After resiging their 3 free agents they will be really close to the cap. Lets say Kadri is 3.4 million Franson is 3 million then Gunnerson is 2.8 million. That will amount to 9.2 millon.

9.72 million in cap space doesn't really explain the whole story when they have 3 key free agents to sign. That 9.72 million ends up being .52 million.

If their RFAs get more then the conservative numbers I estimated the could end up over the cap.
I wonder if there is any chance we could land Gunnerson. I don't see how the Leafs can keep all those players and be under the cap.

Maybe we could trade Spalings rights and Ellis for him?

Can you imagine our D?

Josi/Weber
Gunnerson/Jones
Bartley/Klein

With that said we really need offense help more than anything. If we could move Gaustad and maybe Ellis to land Hemsky I would be stoked. I do not want Gagner...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:21 PM
maplepred

Quote:

If poile was ballsy enough to offer sheet kadri for 4.5-5million, I wonder what leafs would do. Kadri would give Wilson someone to work with

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't know. I tend to think after all of the time the Leafs organization has invested in Kadri they would match that offer sheet, but I don't see any team being desperate enough to toss that kind of money his way after half of a season. He played well, but that's a huge chunk of money to gamble with. Then consider for him to even sign it you would have to offer years, too. That crosses from "ballsy" territory into "stupid" territory, IMO.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:59 PM
maplepred

I think kadri is worth 4.5 million.
We have paid way less talented guys more.

Nystrom is making 2.5 AAV, lol, kadri is worth 8 million by those standards IMO.

If the leafs match though, something has to give in TO. Would be interesting no doubt

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:28 PM
thecloser

I started a trade thread and Edmonton fans seemed to be interested in a gaustad/hemsky swap.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:39 PM
HooliganX2

I actually think Kadri will want a 1 to 2 year bridge contract. If he believes last season was not a fluke he can get a significant contract when the bridge contract is up. He was on pace for 75 points last year. That would put him close to the 6 million range for a long term deal.

It's good for Toronto as well as they get to have him prove last season was not a fluke with low risk contract so they get him cheap for a couple seasons.

It's tough to guess on the amount they would settle for. I could see Kadri signing a 2 year 4.5 million offer sheet. I do think Toronto matches it as well.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:30 PM
predshabs

Quote:

Not to mention next year they have to resign both Phaneuf and Kessel among others. I do not believe they can afford both unless both really love playing there and give the maple leafs a deal.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:46 AM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

I reluctantly say yes from Edmonton.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:28 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
I reluctantly say yes from Edmonton.
Is this what you are saying yes to?

Try this on for size then.

Oilers get- Phaneuf, Rights to Spaling, Gaustad, Predators 1st round pick

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary),Kulemin

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque

Anybody else got any other trade ideas? That is what the original post asked.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:41 AM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Is this what you are saying yes to?

Try this on for size then.

Oilers get- Phaneuf, Rights to Spaling, Gaustad, Predators 1st round pick

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary),Kulemin

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque

Anybody else got any other trade ideas? That is what the original post asked.
Don't want Phaneuf

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:56 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
Don't want Phaneuf
Then what were you saying yes to?

Old
07-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Then what were you saying yes to?
Likely the original post by you that started this thread:
Quote:
What one trade would you make to improve the preds roster today if you could?
I will start out.

To Edmonton Gaustad, Ellis, Smith, rights to Spaling

To Nashville rights to Gagner, Smid

Reading other posts on here it seems Edmonton is looking for a Gaustad type player and a Spaling type player as well. Smith is good but something just is not clicking now but he has a big upside.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I would do that deal if Edmonton would. It would weaken our bottom line, but our defense would be so ridiculous it wouldn't matter. Our PK would be pretty damn good, too.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
somebody tell me again why a defensively challenged team like edmonton is looking to move their 1st pair defenseman?

If they want Spaling I'd give them Spaling and a 3rd for Hemsky

If they would take Smith and Ellis for gagner, then fine but I dont think they would do that

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:16 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Oh they won't be moving him unless they simply cannot turn down the package, at least not this season. They do have some talented LHD prospects in the pipeline, though, so in the future it may not be as big of a stretch.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
If poile was ballsy enough to offer sheet kadri for 4.5-5million, I wonder what leafs would do.
I'm positive they'd match.

And the more life goes on for me, the more "ballsy" becomes, in my dictionary, defined as "grotesque stupidity brought on by brainless machismo"

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote