HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Mtl & Mtl-Tampa

Old
10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
You said played himself out of 3 oraganizations. He hasn't played himself out of Montreal by any stretch of the imagination. I was trying to explain, maybe you don't know, and that would make you the only one here, but there are a lot of emotional hab fans on these boards that would trade half the team away when a) the team loses 2 in a row b) a player doesn't score 2 games in a row c) it is raining outside that day. Those are the same posters who wanted to trade Ryder last year when he was struggling, or Koivu, or Bonk (notice how you no longer hear about Bonk), or any other player on the team.

Also, how do you know Edmonton, Boston or even the Hawks didn't make an offer to Samsonov? There were apparently a number of teams interested in his services, just not at the asking price of 3.5M, which is probably high for a player of his caliber. Nevertheless, don't try to paint the guy with a brush he doesn't deserve. One only had to look at him play in Boston, Edmonton and now Montreal to realize while he's not an impact player, he's certainly not useless and has value to any team in need of offense.
I understand what you are saying about "passionate" fan-boy posters. I just wish my team was good enough recently to generate that same level of, let's call it "enthusiasm".

I think you know that my point is that IF Samsonov were to be traded now, his value would be influenced by the factors I mentioned.

I am pretty sure from reading SLAM that EDM was never interested in bringing SS back. I live in CHI and never heard any rumblings that the Hawks approached him, and they tend to let those things leak to generate some goodwill. Just the impression I got from the BOS posters led me to believe that there was never any serious efford made to lock him up LT, and that bringing him back on July 1st was never seriously considered.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I understand what you are saying about "passionate" fan-boy posters. I just wish my team was good enough recently to generate that same level of, let's call it "enthusiasm".

I think you know that my point is that IF Samsonov were to be traded now, his value would be influenced by the factors I mentioned.

I am pretty sure from reading SLAM that EDM was never interested in bringing SS back. I live in CHI and never heard any rumblings that the Hawks approached him, and they tend to let those things leak to generate some goodwill. Just the impression I got from the BOS posters led me to believe that there was never any serious efford made to lock him up LT, and that bringing him back on July 1st was never seriously considered.
From TSN themselves in a recent article regarding Samsonov: "Montreal outbid the Oilers for him when he became a free agent after the season."

I'm not trying to make Samsonov look like the player he is not, and a 3.5M player he probably is not. Gainey himself said he was down to plan C when signing Samsonov after failing to win the bidding war for both Elias and Shanahan.

That being said, there were many articles during free agency this summer suggesting a number of teams, including Edmonton, were in the hunt for his services. But there's a limit to what a team can overpay to get a serviceable 2nd line winger like Samsonov, especially in a capped world.

Of course if Samsonov was to be traded because he is struggling, his value would drop as a result, nobody is denying that. But every team in this league save for a lucky few has or will have this classic case of an underachiever / overpaid player they'll want to get rid of. You usually trade those for one another. For example, I'm not sure if Conroy keeps struggling the way he has, that LA wouldn't be inclined to trade a guy like Samsonov for him. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right fit. An underachiever with one organization can break out with an other.

Samsonov has never been perceived as a cancer to a team or a washed-up player, I wanted to make that point clear before we see loads of posters coming here stating ridiculous things like Samsonov has negative value and what not.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:08 PM
A-Train in Motion

Good deal for Montreal IF Rutuu stays healty

Last edited by A-Train in Motion: 10-28-2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Misread Proposal
A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:55 PM
MacHabs93

I'd rather have Kovalev than the garden gnome. As for the MTL-CHI deal, as injury prone as Tuomo is you'd have to give lots of youth to get Ruutu.

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Varius

If I'm Tampa, I take that Kovalev deal. I think the two players will rouhly put up the same points, so the cap room it clears makes the deal in TB's favor.

For that same reason, if I'm Montreal I don't do it.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 07:59 PM
BadNewsBearcat

What I love about the Hawks deal, is that this only shows up when Ruutu is set to return in the upcoming week.

Sure, Chicago is going to wait for the guy to get healthy, and then trade him for a guy who gets demoted for a rookie. Sure.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:02 AM
nextgretz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
to Tampa Bay:

Alexei Kovalev RW
13.5 million/3 years

to Montréal:

Martin St-louis RW
26,25 million/5 years
i would never give up kovalev for st'louis!

nextgretz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:04 AM
nextgretz*

but i'd take the ruttu deal, i think it's pretty fair.

but the would make us take out a pick and throw in perez, and we could move the 6th rounder up to a 4th.

nextgretz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Wally112pac

I don't think Ruutu will be traded when he's due back monday. Especially for Samsonov and a few picks.

What's Samsonovs value when he plays on the 4th line? Not Ruutu's.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I wouldn't do either deal as Montreal. Definitely not for St. Louis -- more for his contract than his contribution.

Ruutu is potentially a great player, but it would be strange for Montreal to trade away a very recent FA acquisition for a question mark.

Unless a top-notch center becomes available for some reason, I don't see Montreal making any kind of deal right now.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac View Post
I don't think Ruutu will be traded when he's due back monday. Especially for Samsonov and a few picks.

What's Samsonovs value when he plays on the 4th line? Not Ruutu's.
Samsonov doesn't play on the 4th line. He's played 2 periods on the 3rd and went right back up to 2nd line duty after scoring 2 goals. He is now, until further notice, playing LW alongside Kovalev (C) and Perezhogin (RW).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote