HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta vs David Desharnais - Which one goes?

View Poll Results: Which one goes?
Brian Gionta 61 21.40%
David Desharnais 86 30.18%
Both will be dealt 46 16.14%
Neither, they will both stay Habs 92 32.28%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2013, 09:39 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I'm scared to even bring this up, but I think Gallagher is the one who gets traded. As much as I love him, he's one of the only chips we have to land a power forward through trade.
That makes a whole lotta sense...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Only people who think size is the most important thing want Gionta gone. Awful deal from a habs perspective.
Or people who value the importance of a strong cycle game...
Or people who value players that are durable...
Or people who actually value puck skills...
Or people who value players who actually have a wrist shot in their arsenal...

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
That's why I think he might get traded. Would you object if, as part of a package, he landed you an Evander Kane type player?
Why the **** would Peg trade Evander Kane for Gallagher? WTF ? This board, sometimes...

Old
07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Both will likely be Habs for the entire next season.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Ginu

The only reason to trade Gionta is if we can't trade Desharnais. We can keep Gionta if we're able to move Le Petit Prince. You need balance and experience. Gionta's contract expires after next season anyways.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Plekanec is our Carbo, he won't get dealt.
In fact, trading Plek right now for a big tough young top 4 D that will play for us the next 6 years, during our cup window, makes perfect sense. I would be delighted. DD is garbage and will get us nothing. Gio also. And Gio is Captain. He stays his last year, or goes if he asks.

And Chuckie will make you forget Pleky forever in 2 years. And Briere can provide vet leadership and offense in Plek's absence for 2 years. And Eller will be Pleky by that time anyway. And we get a higher pick in our last no cup window next year if Pleky goes.

If Bergy is not shopping Pleks right now, then he's an idiot. I think the Briere move may in fact show that Bergy is shopping Pleks.

Last edited by bsl: 07-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old
07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
NewbieOfGames

We should get rid of DD right away. No more chance for little smurf making habs looking like a big joke in the entire NHL.

MB did a couple of bad moves since hes habs GM, signing DD 4 years was one of them.

It all look like he want to keep the same old and dumb as fck stereotype that french-canadien or québécois players will play their heart for the team. But thats not true at all, if it was true those french-canadien player would not take so many millions to sit on them and do nothing. We should not consider at all the french speaking factor when we choose a player, thats all for the show, for the media and for the fking DOXA. What we need is size, skill, we should take the best player our of the player we can have no matter the fking language he speak. Now we got DD, Brière and Bouillion that are french-canadiens, 3 smurfs in fact.

NewbieOfGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Neither will be moved.

Maybe Gionta later this season if a team comes calling and depending where we are in the standings

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post
We should get rid of DD right away. No more chance for little smurf making habs looking like a big joke in the entire NHL.

MB did a couple of bad moves since hes habs GM, signing DD 4 years was one of them.

It all look like he want to keep the same old and dumb as fck stereotype that french-canadien or québécois players will play their heart for the team. But thats not true at all, if it was true those french-canadien player would not take so many millions to sit on them and do nothing. We should not consider at all the french speaking factor when we choose a player, thats all for the show, for the media and for the fking DOXA. What we need is size, skill, we should take the best player our of the player we can have no matter the fking language he speak. Now we got DD, Brière and Bouillion that are french-canadiens, 3 smurfs in fact.
I am French Canadian and I approve this message.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:53 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post

Please elaborate.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I am French Canadian and I approve this message.
That french-canadians are taking millions and doing nothing?
Feel free to reformulate and replace with Blacks, Arabs, etc...

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
That french-canadians are taking millions and doing nothing?
Feel free to reformulate and replace with Blacks, Arabs, etc...
I mostly agree with the part where he says nobody gives a **** about the language a player speaks. I don't agree with everything he said and the part you're talking about. I would never say that.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

As usual, some people are getting too emotional about a question like that when the problem will solve itself.

Gionta is on the last year of his contract, and although he's the captain and a good vet to have around, I just don't see us signing him again when we have Briere who is going to fill the same role for the next two years for less money. So he's going to be the first to go, maybe even at the trade deadline if we suck next season. I see him signing for cheap in NJ to finish his career here with his bro.

Briere is going to be on the same boat the next year.

As for Desharnais, he is going to be traded with the emergence of Gally (and the fact that Briere can play C), maybe as soon as this summer, maybe later. MB may very well wait for him to be on a tear. Size or not, productive offensive center have value and at 3.5M he remains quite moveable with a cap that is only going up in the next year.

The habs midget problem is so overblown. None of these three players would be considered part of our core by most posters, two of them are bound to be let go naturally/traded at the deadline in the next year or so, and while Desharnais contract is a bit longer, it's not like we have to rely on him with Plekanec-Eller-Gally more than able to be an acceptable center line if the right deal come up and we want to trade him on a whim. Such a non-issue. Our current situation is nothing like when we traded/signed Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri, three smallish players, to long contract where they became our de-facto core.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Gionta is an average second liner with great leadership skills. He is no less durable than the average 34 year old NHLer and he only has one more year. Yeesh it's like people think he has the plague. He is a good player and an even better person, let him be, get over his size and you might actually come to like him.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:35 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#RememberCplCirillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Gionta is an average second liner with great leadership skills. He is no less durable than the average 34 year old NHLer and he only has one more year. Yeesh it's like people think he has the plague. He is a good player and an even better person, let him be, get over his size and you might actually come to like him.
Can deal with one more year of Gionta, in a bit of a lesser role...Desharnais & Moen gotta go...sign Morrow...peace settles across the Galaxy...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Can't tell if serious or not.

My guess is: trolling.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Luigi Daniele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Desharnais this year.

Gionta next year.
This. (I hate to see Gionta go, for obvious reasons )

Luigi Daniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
tinyzombies

Why would Bergevin trade Desharnais after locking him up longterm? Gionta has a NTC.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
As usual, some people are getting too emotional about a question like that when the problem will solve itself.

Gionta is on the last year of his contract, and although he's the captain and a good vet to have around, I just don't see us signing him again when we have Briere who is going to fill the same role for the next two years for less money. So he's going to be the first to go, maybe even at the trade deadline if we suck next season. I see him signing for cheap in NJ to finish his career here with his bro.

Briere is going to be on the same boat the next year.

As for Desharnais, he is going to be traded with the emergence of Gally (and the fact that Briere can play C), maybe as soon as this summer, maybe later. MB may very well wait for him to be on a tear. Size or not, productive offensive center have value and at 3.5M he remains quite moveable with a cap that is only going up in the next year.

The habs midget problem is so overblown. None of these three players would be considered part of our core by most posters, two of them are bound to be let go naturally/traded at the deadline in the next year or so, and while Desharnais contract is a bit longer, it's not like we have to rely on him with Plekanec-Eller-Gally more than able to be an acceptable center line if the right deal come up and we want to trade him on a whim. Such a non-issue. Our current situation is nothing like when we traded/signed Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri, three smallish players, to long contract where they became our de-facto core.

Briere hasn't been good in the middle for awhile now. Can't win draws and his defense ain't so good. Also, he's small. Rather have Eller in the middle. Briere should be allowed to create and score from right wing.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:42 PM
HABSonaroll

We've had smaller players in the past on really good teams - The Road Runner - The Pocket Rocket - Mats Naslund etc. but will DD ever be at this level - Gionta has with New Jersey HABS are getting bigger now - that should help

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Who knows if either will (or can) be traded, but one thing is certain: Gionta's contract will expire a lot sooner and he won't be re-signed.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote