vCash: 500
the official Patrice Bergeron prediction thread

What are you thinking...

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:13 AM
DOGSTARMAN

I picked #3 and #2. I think he'll be fine, the points are coming soon, and part of the reason for his slow start is that his line doesn't quite fit together ideally yet.

I'm still a big fan and see him as our #2 or at worst #3 forward for years to come.

Old
10-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Don Cherry*

I didn't pick because there wasn't a choice of: "He has turned into a floater who thinks he no longer has to play a physical game or battle for loose pucks. He's no longer willing to compete and play the style which made him a fan favorite the past few years."

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:26 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
I didn't pick because there wasn't a choice of: "He has turned into a floater who thinks he no longer has to play a physical game or battle for loose pucks. He's no longer willing to compete and play the style which made him a fan favorite the past few years."
And the reason there is no such choice is that a) there is no basis for you reading his mind to make any such claim and I don't think you can just leap from what you see on the ice to that hypothesis, and b) I don't believe that for 1 second.

Do you think Chara would ever let him get away with that on Chara's team?

Old
10-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Seriously Scott--what is with you attacking every one of our players all the time? You just spew your vitriol at different players every day...why do you bother watching? You then whine we should get players like Raffi Torres without having watched him on any regular basis and he takes FAR, FAR more games off than Bergeron ever will. Do you really think Bergeron is no longer willing to compete? Do you really need to attack his charachter after a couple of off games?

He hasnt been nearly as bad as this knee jerk reaction board has made him out to be...not even close. Does he need to play better-yes. Is that a reason to attack him after a couple off games, no.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 10-30-2006 at 05:21 AM. Reason: unnecessary potshot
Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
DOGSTARMAN

>> couple off games

And notice that the correct wording is "a couple off games" and not "a couple games off."

Old
10-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
I don't think that Bergeron's physical play has been reduced at all. He's still the most effective forward the team has along the boards in both zones. He hasn't laid out one of those patented Bergeron hits, but I feel that's because he's afraid of getting a penalty, not out of fear of getting hurt. With the horribly inconsistant officiating this team has seen so far this season, I think that's a more realistic assertion than "He's rich now, so he's lazy." He's still one of the best backcheckers on the team, he still mucks it up in the corners againt all of the other teams' players, etc.

I think that he's had some difficulty adjusting to his linemates. Kessel, to this point, has only played in nine professional games in his career, so he's obviously still learning the pro game. And Bergeron's right wing has changed throughout the young season. Just when it seemed that he was gaining some chemistry with Murray, Lewis switches things around and puts Boyes back on his wing. I think it's obvious that his familiarity with Kessel is growing (as seen by Kessel's 8+ shots last night), but he hasn't been able to gel with the other wing. Keeping him on the point on the PP isn't helping him any, either, as he's much better down low.

Overall, I think his numbers will improve if the line juggling stops. As we saw last season, Bergeron's a very good player if he's on a consistent line. Between having to get a rookie up to speed on the game and having to deal with a different right wing every other game or so, I'm not surprised that his numbers aren't great right now.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:09 AM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
>> couple off games

And notice that the correct wording is "a couple off games" and not "a couple games off."
I agree. He has not been a presence as of yet (credited with 1 hit through 9 games), and hasn't really carried his line like he did last season. However, I seem to recall he went through a dismal stretch early last season as well prior to the Joe trade. He's perhaps showing the trait of being a slow starter.

That said, I think some of the projections that were being thrown around from his success last year were way optimistic. He's not going to be an upper echelon points producer, particularly when he's splitting #1 center minutes w/ Marc Savard and is being mistakenly used at the point on the PP.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Marc008

Send a message via MSN to Marc008
To me it just looks like Bergeron is trying to help out his line mates to much hes not shooting alot hes always trying to set up either Kessel or Murray I think if he starts to shoot some more he will get some goals but there is no reason to panic here we all know what kind of player Patrice is and he will work really hard to get back to what he was last year.

Marc008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
ThomasJ13

Maybe he's a slow starter?

Look at Bergeron's numbers from last year:

2005/2006
Oct/Nov: 0.60 points per game and MINUS 11
Dec/Apr: 1.03 points per game and PLUS 14

We all thought that it was being thrust into the #1 center role last year that sparked his production....but maybe he's just a slow starter?

He'll be fine. The whole freaking team is underperforming. To quote TSN's power rankings (posted last Monday): There may not be a single player on the Bruins roster -- possibly Glen Murray -- who is even meeting, let alone exceeding expectations right now.

This to me is good news - when (not if) the roster starts playing closer to expectations (Bergeron included), the goals & wins will come...

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Bruinsfolife

Hey Don Cherry. Patrice Bergeron is no floater, that's pretty insulting of you. He's trying to teach that kid Kessel, Bergeron is only a kid himself, the points will come so stop hatin'

Bruinsfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:12 AM
earthstar

Perhaps the reality is that Bergeron isn't the player that every one expects him to be. Perhaps everyone needs to take the rose coloured glasses off whern they look at Bergeron and not expect him to be a player he isn't. This isn't neccessarily a negative, but perhaps Bergeron is not the offensive number one center that everyone wants him to be; personally I see Bergeron as more of a Brind'amour type - an all-round player that is not a true number one but an awfully good number two capable of putting up decent numbers and contributing at both ends of the rink. Now, this is simply my opinion and speculation, if it was a certainty I'd be paid big bucks for player assessment.

Also, I do not claim to be a mind reader, but a lot of players put a lot of pressure on themselves after signing that first big contract and struggle. Could this be the case with Bergeron? He's only 22, still just a kid, expected to carry the load for this team. Personally I think he'll be alright, but it may take some time.

earthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:13 AM
nmbr_24

If my memory serves me correctly, Bergeron did not start out last year at such a great pace. Could be, he is just one of those guys that doesn't start out strong, but a guy who gets stronger throughout the year.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Shinny

Quote:
Wow, do you turn on people fast.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

I wanted to pick one and two but I couldnt. Bergeron is indeed struggling and although it may be partly because of his line mates, you can surely not blame just that on his struggles. I think he will start lighting it up in a while though.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
jakeMAC387

imho He is natural wing who would benefit greatly by receiving rather than dishing the biscuit. Kessel I think would thrive in the middle, perhaps the worry is down low coverage of the def. zone, here Berg. has more strength and experience against opps. top lines. Another minus to Berg. being in the middle is the loss of his savy along the boards, he, more than many capitalizes on the new rules with his quick turns, balance, puck control and vision from down low. Just my view but I feel he is being slotted (pardon the pun) and misused due to his diligence in his own end at a cost to his offense.

jakeMAC387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
BBruin66

Send a message via AIM to BBruin66
In all seriousness I think he has one of those recurring injuries one of our Ex centers used to get come playoff time. Asports hernia or something... back strain...

Hopefully it's not his wrist

BBruin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
he's young, it's to be expected...

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:33 AM
fake british accent

Bergeron has hit some bad stretches before - at the beginning of last season and right after the olympic break last season. When he's not playing well he can't hide it with blazing speed or a cannon for a shot or anything.

I really haven't changed how I think of him yet. He's never gonna be the type that lights a team up for 4-5 points in one game, but he'll consistently be putting up a couple of points every other game again soon.

fake british accent is offline   Reply With Quote