HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is it the right time to deal Souray?

Old
10-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Maybe Markov will be traded!!!!!!

In the end, we will keep Souray (2-3 year contract) & sign Rivet for cheap (also...it's for Koivu ).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Maybe Markov will be traded!!!!!!

In the end, we will keep Souray (2-3 year contract) & sign Rivet for cheap (also...it's for Koivu ).
Id rather keep Markov.

Madevilz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I can't see a good trade scenario.

Souray is exactly the kind of defenceman that would cost "too much" if the Habs were looking for one at the trade deadline. If Niinimaa or Bouillon replaced Souray, then the Habs would have to look for exactly that kind of deal.

The most likely partner is a playoff-bound team willing to part with picks and prospects. (How would that improve the Habs?) Montreal is now in that same shopper category. Gainey would open up the pick and prospect vault for an impending UFA like Doan or Forsberg. It would be weird to sell off a piece of the core only to turn around and rent a core player from some other team.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
tinyzombies

It's exactly the right time to trade Souray. But I'd rather see us move Rivet somehow and keep Sheldon. We have too many frankensteins on defense, so somebody has to go eventually.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:59 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
What do you think souray will end up asking for his contract? If he continues like this... he has the stats to hit the Jack pot...

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
The Habs are loaded with NHL-caliber D-Men IMO.

Souray
Rivet
Markov
Komisarek (Komisaurus)
Boullion
Dandenault
Streit
Niniimaa

We gotta drop either Souray or Rivet sometime this year due to their UFA status (because signing Markov is a given), and because Souray is the only one with any trade value, we let him go!

I'm sure Streit could take Souray's point on the PP since afterall he is a Streit-Shooter

IYes we have a lot of guys, and you need thAt many. Me i would trade rivet though if we had to trade a d, or maybe ninnimma. although ninnimma may get better. Rivet is what he is.

Souray is a threat everytime he tees up and shoots. NO WAY HE GOES!!!!

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's look before we leap. Where would the Habs be right now without Souray's goals and assists?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Sthabs

Is Souray gonna get traded ? yes
Now ? Hell NO

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Pascal

every player has its uses on the team (except Rivet of course). Souray might not be Pronger back there, but he brings a lot of good things too. Heck I am the first to scream when he makes a mistake on D, but I can see his use to the team in other areas.

The only perfect dmen in this league make 6M+.

Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer, and soon Phaneuf.

That's it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:07 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
What do you think souray will end up asking for his contract? If he continues like this... he has the stats to hit the Jack pot...
He's on pace for McCabe's salary I guess. Or at least Kaberle's.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Pascal

We'll have big issues signing everyone next summer, and still hope to add a piece or two to make a serious run at the cup.

I expect one of our goalies to get shipped out, and one of Rivet/Markov/Souray to say toodles. I hope it's Craig "Bantam A" Rivet.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I see a team that needs a defenseman, I see another team that needs character. I see two players who are gonna be free agents at the end of the season. And they both produce more points than they should.

Sourey for Tucker.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Kruky

I think we should resign Markov and Souray at the end of the year. Let go of Rivet and Niinimaa.

Give Rivet's money to Souray. A bit less if you can because of defensive errors. What does Rivest make? 3. something million

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Pascal

Rivet should be making 50 bucks a week lugging wood in Nunavut on his big dumb shoulders. There, I said it.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

hahahaha wow that's harsh.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:39 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Here is my positive thinking.

Souray is good friends with Brodeur, Brodeur accepted a 5.2 million dollar contract (knowing he could get more on the open market) He is 34 and is signed till he is 39 which may seem like a term he could not get in other places but there must be at least 20 teams that would having given him 5 years at 6.5+ million. Hopefully Souray will sacrafice some $ for the sake of the Canadiens being competitive.

I know some posters will say that I am INSANE and he would never do that but there is nothing wrong with a little hope and a little faith.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post

Souray is good friends with Brodeur, Brodeur accepted a 5.2 million dollar contract (knowing he could get more on the open market) He is 34 and is signed till he is 39 which may seem like a term he could not get in other places but there must be at least 20 teams that would having given him 5 years at 6.5+ million. Hopefully Souray will sacrafice some $ for the sake of the Canadiens being competitive.

I know some posters will say that I am INSANE and he would never do that but there is nothing wrong with a little hope and a little faith.
Right on!
I'll have faith in Souray for now. I hope he stays for a decent price. I really hope he won't ask for too much (ex: Brodeur).

I also hope Souray will remember how patient Bob Gainey (and us fans ) were when he was constantly on the sidelines with injuries (+ Habs of course still had to pay his hefty salary). I hope this makes Souray go easy on Bob Gainey with salary discussions!!

A 2 year or 3 year contract for Souray would be great

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 02:33 AM
phil666

At this point I wouldn't care to dump Rivet for a bag of pucks and have Streit or Coté as a #6 d-man. Screw Rivet. The D-man with the most minor penalty last year in the entire freakin league. He's off to beat his own record from last year at this rate.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

The problem with souray is that he has a history of injuries. A long contract may come and bite us in the rear end.

I think souray is going to get some incredible offers in the summer that the habs will fail to match while they are preoccupied with trying to get markov signed.

As for trading souray. It makes no sense. First of all, it will send a bad message to the rest of the team if you get rid of one of your best leaders. It will send the message that you are much more interested in the business aspect of the team rather than winning. Secondly, the real value of this guy is in the playoffs when goals become a real premium. It is in these times where a deadly shot from the point is very valuable.

The only way I even start to think about dealing him is if the habs are out of playoff contention at the deadline.

Last edited by Hackett: 10-30-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 04:07 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The problem with souray is that he has a history of injuries. A long contract may come and bite us in the rear end.
But if he is injured I thought his salary would not count against the cap after 10+ games missed.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:06 AM
wedge

nothing against trading Souray, but even with his defense difficiencies, I like him. He's one of our rare big d-men who plays physical and is useful on the ice. Rivet sucks so far this year and Komisarek is still learning.

He'll probably leave after the season, but how can we win in the playoffs if we always trade our UFA?

I really like Visnovsky, but we have too many defensemen on our team so it wouldn't help us at all.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:08 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Yeah sure, lets trade Souray right now, while Dandeneault, Bouillon and Coté are injured...

Can't wait to see Traverse killing the PK all by himself, play rock solid defense and slap that devastating shot of his...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
But if he is injured I thought his salary would not count against the cap after 10+ games missed.
Really? Well, I take it back then

but it would still be tough to lock up a guy that long if he keeps getting injured. What happens if his wrist just gives way and he decides to retire? is that against the cap as well?

Either way, if he gets injured, its not like you are going to find an adequate replacement in the middle of the season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59 View Post
Funny , remember last year : mccabe was a god cause he produce offensivly ....
Are you serious?

McCabe is the TML board's ARCH ENEMY. We HATE him over there.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:19 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Really? Well, I take it back then

but it would still be tough to lock up a guy that long if he keeps getting injured. What happens if his wrist just gives way and he decides to retire? is that against the cap as well?

Either way, if he gets injured, its not like you are going to find an adequate replacement in the middle of the season.
Technically, I think it's after 24 or 28 days (number of games doesnt matter) that it stops counting against the cap.

About the retirement, it count against the cap only if the retired player is 35 or over.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote