HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 04:11 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Kovalchuk gave the NHL 12 and probably the best years of his playing career. He owes the NHL nothing. I think the only thing left for him was winning a Stanley Cup and in his eyes it wasn't going to happen with the Devils. He didn't want to play for the Devils anymore, knew they wouldn't or couldn't trade him, so he just bailed. The Devils were probably hoping this would happen so they didn't make too much of a fuss about it on his way out. Katz would have been outside his window with a ghetto blaster in the rain if he pulled this on the Oilers.
If this happened to the Oilers, we would never hear the end of it.

"Kovalchuk leaves Edmonton for Siberia" etc.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
David Strehle ‏@David_Strehle 2m
The Flyers have announced that Ron Hextall has rejoined the organization as the Assistant GM.
Hextall has gotten a decent amount of praise over the past several years for his work with the Kings.

Old
07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
If this happened to the Oilers, we would never hear the end of it.

"Kovalchuk leaves Edmonton for Siberia" etc.
It has happened here. Several times. And your right...we never hear the end of it.

There are different circumstances/reasons/excuses/spin...but...Kovy isn't doing anything that other players haven't done before.

I don't think anyone was at all surprised by the announcement today from S.K.A.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:35 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Just saw this on the blues website. St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has named former Blues goalie Ty Conklin as the club’s Goaltender Development Coach. I wonder if the Oilers will look into another goalie coach for development purposes.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Just saw this on the blues website. St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has named former Blues goalie Ty Conklin as the club’s Goaltender Development Coach. I wonder if the Oilers will look into another goalie coach for development purposes.
should have grabbed Rollie, but someone else hired him first?

Old
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
misfit

Quote:
Jussi Markkanen

07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Tommy Salo

Old
07-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
should have grabbed Rollie, but someone else hired him first?
I THINK it was Anaheim

Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I THINK it was Anaheim
confirmed via google

couldn't remember before

He's just a consultant for now, but I think he'll be a great goalie coach one day.

Though I'm not sure what a goalie consultant even does.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:32 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Though I'm not sure what a goalie consultant even does.
Even not knowing what one is, or does, I feel comfortable in saying I don't want to hire Ty ******* Conklin for the job.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Soundwave

I love when they announce "assistant GMs", aka: the guy who'll be replacing the current GM in about a year or two.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So which teams do you guys think had the best offseason?

07-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Stars, hate to say it.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
We hired another goalie coach a month ago or something.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So which teams do you guys think had the best offseason?
In addition to Dallas I think NSH has done very well. They may have not made the sexy moves, but they made some NSH like moves and got Jones. As long as Weber doesn't ask to be dealt they had a good summer.

NJ is another team that I like the moves they made. Unfortunate what happened with kovi, but before that happened I really liked going for the cheaper Clowe adding Ryder and adding a goalie for the future.

And possibly the best offseason without doing anything is the Rangers

Old
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Stars, hate to say it.
I'll take the other end of the spectrum with Boston.

The team needed wingers and were loaded at C.

Add Eriksson and Iginla, minus Jagr and Seguin. They came out on top there.

Their defense is a question mark, but Andrew Ference is easily replaceable with the prospect pool they've got.

They're contenders again next year.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I'll take the other end of the spectrum with Boston.

The team needed wingers and were loaded at C.

Add Eriksson and Iginla, minus Jagr and Seguin. They came out on top there.

Their defense is a question mark, but Andrew Ference is easily replaceable with the prospect pool they've got.

They're contenders again next year.
They also lost Horton and Khubodin

Old
07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This revelation about Gilbert Brule and the Oilers shouldn't come as a surprise to me but I still find it shocking and more than a little embarrassing.

Quote:
Brule’s talked his issues through with a couple of professionals, and he’s seeing a sports psychologist to seek improvement in his performance. The problem first reared its head in earnest when Brule was with the Oilers, and he got down over the fallout from the broken relationship with his dad.

“I went to see a therapist, who prescribed temporary medication, and I really don’t believe in taking drugs for a problem like that. I thought it should have been dealt with in a different way. But the Oilers wanted me back on the ice as soon as possible. It’s a business and I understand that, and I’m not trying to throw the Oilers under the bus; they reacted as any team would and should.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...967/story.html

Props to Gilbert for not throwing the Oilers under the bus but I'm of the belief that he has every reason to. Mental health is not something that you should mess around with. The team should have supported him better and should have told him to take as much time away from the team as he needed.

I'm pulling for Brule. Hopefully he can get his career back on track.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:23 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This revelation about Gilbert Brule and the Oilers shouldn't come as a surprise to me but I still find it shocking and more than a little embarrassing.

Props to Gilbert for not throwing the Oilers under the bus but I'm of the belief that he has every reason to. Mental health is not something that you should mess around with. The team should have supported him better and should have told him to take as much time away from the team as he needed.

Is that why he missed all those games? Wtf?

Old
07-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

With all due respect the competitive world of pro sports is no place for individuals struggling with their mental health. I'm not sure how exactly the Oilers look bad through any of this. Brule was never focused properly on his pro career and never did anything with it. His performance was far worse in Columbus where he was a complete and total bust.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-17-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 01:39 AM
aleshemsky83

He missed games because he got in a fight with his dad? That's just insane, if that's what it takes for a guy to get so depressed he can't suit up then nobody is giving him a contract, telling the media about his situation will not help him imo.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With all due respect is the competitive world of pro sports is no place for individuals struggling with mental illness. I'm not sure how exactly the Oilers look bad through any of this. Brule was never focused properly on his pro career and never did anything with it. His performance was far worse in Columbus where he was a complete and total bust.
A large chunk of the general population struggles with mental illness so I'm pretty certain that a decent chunk of the NHLPA faces similar, undiagnosed, challenges. We read about these situations ending badly all the time, particularly in professional football.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
He missed games because he got in a fight with his dad? That's just insane, if that's what it takes for a guy to get so depressed he can't suit up then nobody is giving him a contract, telling the media about his situation will not help him imo.
I don't struggle with mental illness or depression but I know people that do and that's a pretty insensitive way of looking at it.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
A large chunk of the general population struggles with mental illness so I'm pretty certain that a decent chunk of the NHLPA faces similar, undiagnosed, challenges. We read about these situations ending badly all the time, particularly in professional football.
Well, the top rung of any competitive endeavor requires optimal functioning. By definition the classification and determination of mental illness involves assessment of functioning.

See the mismatch?

This is not the Oilers fault in anyway. They had a player that was not in anyway prepared to perform optimally, if at all.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
That Brule is even disclosing all this publicly to the media has me scratching my head at his judgement.

I don't suspect that this is at all in his best interests. Plus that his disclosure reveals some pretty obvious frailty on his part. Not exactly somebody that you're going to offer a multimillion buck contract to.

Closed Thread