HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines for next season

Old
07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
thecloser

vCash: 500
I get that you can only see Stalberg being a bottom 6 fwd but he's played on 3rd lines and 4th lines all his career so getting this chance could prove you wrong.

Let the guy play before you s*** all over him.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:10 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
I get that you can only see Stalberg being a bottom 6 fwd but he's played on 3rd lines and 4th lines all his career so getting this chance could prove you wrong.

Let the guy play before you s*** all over him.

I agree with you, we should give him a 'chance'.
Maybe some of us are under hyping him as not a top six forward, maybe some of us are overhyping him as a top six forward. Time will tell.

Point is,
Up to date, stalberg has proven nothing, and is currently not rated as a top six forward based on his career.

Poile said he would replace erat, and some feel that poile has not done that. That's the point.

Stalberg is a medium risk ($3 million) high reward player, that is not in question, but there is more chance he is not top six or he would have proven he was with leafs or hawks. If your good. They can't keep you down, you produce.

Forsberg is not putting up any more than 30-40 points most likely scenario. The kid has like 5 games of experience, you cannot expect much of him, that's not fair, same with Seth jones being thought of as a NHL second pairing defenseman, sure it's possible but at his age, not very likely.

If you take out halischuk, erat, and kostitsyn, then add in Cullen, stalberg, nystrom and Hendricks. The offense is less talented that last season, maybe just the same, but it's definitely not an improved offense.

Injuries will always happen, I know we had bad injuries last season, so hopefully we are healthier this season. That could also play a factor, I also don't know what's happening with spaling as of yet either.

Time will tell, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for a playoff season, I would love it!! But again, not going to count on it by any means. I am starting to get smart to not getting set up for disappointment. I hope
I am proven wrong and we go on a crazy cup run!!

I just don't know how many years weber and rinne will be cool with us having to go to guy on offense. That's my biggest worry, those boys wanna win and they wanna win now. They are not exactly youngsters anymore...

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Well there is 60 points combined, best case scenario.

Forsberg has 1 assist in his games last season, '1'. People think he is going to be our top six answer this year?? Hell no! Maybe in a few years. Same with beck.

Stalberg is pushing thirty and has barely done anything in the NHL. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but this is the worst offensive team in the NHL. If we are relying on guys like stalberg, fisher, hornqvist, yeah we won't do much this season.

All of our games will be 1-0 or 2-1. We can shut down opposition and are probably best team in NHL for defense, but our offense is just sad.

Oh. my. God. You SO remind me of someone else on another site that posts nothing but horrible things about the team they "root" for.

1.) Forsberg was a young kid who had to join a brand new team which he knew nothing about and play right away an injury-riddled squad. If you think those handful of games = he is going to suck for years here then I don't know what to tell you.

2.) I hate to break it to you, but if Nashville would have got Barkov like you dreamed about for weeks and weeks, they would still be at just about the same spot now, other than Poile having to go out and overpay for a FA D-man (which you no doubt would be screaming against as well). Barkov may be great one day...but Seth Jones may be too.

3.) Once again, last year was bad...but it was 48 games with injuries to the best forwards on the team. The year before this team SCORED GOALS. 8th in the league. 1st in the PP. Yes some pieces have changed. But to assume this team is going to suck and only score 1 or 2 goals a game is already damning it in your eyes before a single game is played in this upcoming season.

I mean this with no malice or sarcasm: if you need a team to have big name big salary forwards you may want to find another one to follow. I think the Preds are going to cause you nothing but more anger over the summer and into the season. You will ignore the good things the team does and will come here and focus and post on every single thing Forsberg, Jones, or Stalberg does wrong.

And I am no rah rah guy here. I am dubious about the grinders Poile signed like most others are. But I love this team and I am willing to give these guys a chance to come out and show us how good they can be. I am certainly not going to spend the summer on a message board complaining about ever single move and player. There is nothing to gain from that Maple. Try to find some good stuff - and like I said if you see this team as nothing but bad you may want to look at following another.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:31 AM
maplepred

1. Who said forsberg was going to suck for years and years?? I said to rely on him as an erat replacement for next season as some have suggested is nuts, I said I figure next season he is good for 30-40 points, which is fair. What's wrong with my comments here? I do not understand. Do you think forsberg is an 80 point guy next season now that he has a training camp is under his belt?
2. Nobody ever said barkov would play top six minutes if we drafted, just like jones should not play top four. Lots of us agreed that barkov would have been great because of his defensive game that we could start him on third line and see how he progressed. Nobody expected him to be an 80 point guy right away, as is same with FF.
3. I acknowledged we had injuries big time last season, I know my post was long but it seems from your three points I just answered, I said the same thing in my original post.

I am not against anything poile does, but I may not be all rah rah excited for it. 'Poile' said he was going to replace erat, our GM said it himself, nobody else. So maybe your GM shouldn't say things unless he plans on following through. I really do not think you read my whole post, I pointed out some good as well, just saying to people not to expect to much or to little out of stalberg or forsberg, as some are over/under hyping him.

I like stalberg, and was not against the signing, 3 million seems a bit steep, but you gotta overpay at free agency day, and be is a big guy with speed, I just am simply saying he is not top six and has never shown on any other team he is. Sorry but it's a fact, maybe he kills it here or maybe continues not to prove anything. Time will tell. Just don't think these were great offseason moves by poile, but at least we are spending money.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Byrddog

Some fun numbers..

player - career high - career avg - career + 50%

Leggy 27 - 18.4
Horni 30 - 20
Fish 25 - 20.8
Cullen 25 - 12.8
Goose 12 - 10.6
Stalberg 22 - 14.3 - 33
Nystrom 16 - 7.8
Wilson 16 - 13 - 24
Smith 14 - 14 - 21
Hendricks 9 - 7.3
Beck 0 - 0 - 20
Bourque 7 - 7 - 20
Clune 0 - 0
Spaling 10 - 9

Team 213 - 155 - 265

The raw numbers do not include last season the third column for Stalberg, Wilson and Spaling and Smith is there career high + 50% for Beck and Borque it is a high guess.

This proves that if each player has a Career year and the young guys increase there production 50% or meet the 20 goal level for Beck and Borque the team will be in good shape.

Theres little chance that most have career years and the younger guys will have a hard time to increase there historical production by 50%. Realistically 200 goals with D goals added or 2.43 gpg.

This is very optimistic and if one is honest the year looks pretty bleak. The Defense will be outstanding but there will be many frustrating night in the boxscore.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Some fun numbers..

Leggy 27 - 18.4
Horni 30 - 20
Fish 25 - 20.8
Cullen 25 - 12.8
Goose 12 - 10.6
Stalberg 22 - 14.3 - 33
Nystrom 16 - 7.8
Wilson 16 - 13 - 24
Smith 14 - 14 - 21
Hendricks 9 - 7.3
Beck 0 - 0 - 20
Bourque 7 - 7 - 20
Clune 0 - 0
Spaling 10 - 9

Team 213 - 155 - 265

The raw numbers do not include last season the third column for Stalberg, Wilson and Spaling and Smith is there career high + 50% for Beck and Borque it is a high guess.

This proves that if each player has a Career year and the young guys increase there production 50% or meet the 20 goal level for Beck and Borque the team will be in good shape.

Theres little chance that most have career years and the younger guys will have a hard time to increase there historical production by 50%. Realistically 200 goals with D goals added or 2.43 gpg.

This is very optimistic and if one is honest the year looks pretty bleak. The Defense will be outstanding but there will be many frustrating night in the boxscore.

Hornqvists career average is not 20 unless you are counting last seasons 4 goals as a whole season. in his 3 complete seasons he has had 30,21,27 for an avg of 26

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:47 AM
maplepred

I'm really digging the idea of bringing in hemsky. He would instantly be our best forward, just hope he stays healthy and all of that jazz. Especially if it costs players who are expendable to us anyways.

Grabo is a good option as well, if we could just get some scoring punch on this team, we would be deadly!

Old
07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Hornqvists career average is not 20 unless you are counting last seasons 4 goals as a whole season. in his 3 complete seasons he has had 30,21,27 for an avg of 26
Actually it is but I should have omitted his rookie season.

08-09 2 goals
09-10 30
10-11 21
11-12 27
80 Avg 20

If we omit the rookie year hes at 26

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
maplepred

Quote:

08-09 2 goals
09-10 30
10-11 21
11-12 27
80 Avg 20

Was hornqvist the last predator to get 30 goals in a season?

Old
07-16-2013, 06:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

08-09 2 goals
09-10 30
10-11 21
11-12 27
80 Avg 20

he only played 28 games that year.. Im comparing full seasons...

Quote:
Was hornqvist the last predator to get 30 goals in a season?
yes. Arnott had 33 the previous season.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:58 PM
maplepred

This will be our fourth season without a thirty goal scorer then, do you think horny has it in him again? I could see it, I hope so.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
predshabs

Quote:
I'm really digging the idea of bringing in hemsky. He would instantly be our best forward, just hope he stays healthy and all of that jazz. Especially if it costs players who are expendable to us anyways.

Grabo is a good option as well, if we could just get some scoring punch on this team, we would be deadly!
Lets just say for a min that toronto will trade edmonton there d-man they want. If that is the case then edmonton will need some cap room. I think if we could get Hemsky(40% retained) to help them out, plus get rid of Gaustads contract plus try to sweeten the deal and get Smid. Remember it is not a big deal because Hemsky is only under contract for one year. Then use the rest of the money we have to sign Grabo and we will have a good first like, as long as everyone stays healthy.

Wilson-Grabo-Hemsky
Stalberg-Fisher-Hornqvist
Legwand-Cullen-Forsberg
clune-Hendricks-Nystrom
Bourque
Beck First call up in case of injuries

Weber-Josi
Smid-Klein
Ekholm-Jones
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton/Hellberg

What do you think and we still have a little salary to work with

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:45 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Lets just say for a min that toronto will trade edmonton there d-man they want. If that is the case then edmonton will need some cap room. I think if we could get Hemsky(40% retained) to help them out, plus get rid of Gaustads contract plus try to sweeten the deal and get Smid. Remember it is not a big deal because Hemsky is only under contract for one year. Then use the rest of the money we have to sign Grabo and we will have a good first like, as long as everyone stays healthy.

Wilson-Grabo-Hemsky
Stalberg-Fisher-Hornqvist
Legwand-Cullen-Forsberg
clune-Hendricks-Nystrom
Bourque
Beck First call up in case of injuries

Weber-Josi
Smid-Klein
Ekholm-Jones
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton/Hellberg

What do you think and we still have a little salary to work with
Now that is a team that could contend!!

I just don't see us getting both hemsky and grabo, but would be amazing if we did!

I would think nystrom, Hendricks or clune would sit in favor of bourque though.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:34 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Now that is a team that could contend!!

I just don't see us getting both hemsky and grabo, but would be amazing if we did!

I would think nystrom, Hendricks or clune would sit in favor of bourque though.
Just think how long that defense would be together I think Smid would be the first member of our top four that reaches UFA but that is not until 2017-2018. I believe we could win the cup with that kind of defense plus scoring.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Just think how long that defense would be together I think Smid would be the first member of our top four that reaches UFA but that is not until 2017-2018. I believe we could win the cup with that kind of defense plus scoring.
I agree with ya big time!
Get some offense poile!

I wonder if we are actually talking to oil??

Old
07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Some fun numbers..

Clune 0 - 0

In all fairness, he was a rookie this past year and did score some goals. His cup of coffee with the Kings a few years ago really doesn't count. If he plays a full season, and is given some minutes beyond 4th line even strength (i.e.: PK) he will net 8-10. Trotz goal for him is 10.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
Trotz goal for him is 10.
You should know. Right?

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:22 PM
maplepred

Just say for arguments sake we signed grabo. He is obviously our number one centre.

Then we have legwand, fisher, Cullen still. What would happen?? Does this maybe mean since we signed Cullen we won't go after grabo?

I had heard we were in on grabo, but if we end up settling with having Cullen over grabo (probably same money), that's a lateral move I think.

Of maybe we get grabo and ship out fish.

But I would certainly welcome grabo here. Would be out best forward immediately!

Old
07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Just say for arguments sake we signed grabo. He is obviously our number one centre.

Then we have legwand, fisher, Cullen still. What would happen?? Does this maybe mean since we signed Cullen we won't go after grabo?

I had heard we were in on grabo, but if we end up settling with having Cullen over grabo (probably same money), that's a lateral move I think.

But I would certainly welcome grabo here. Would be out best forward immediately!
we could have had grabo on waivers and chose not to, so I dont think we were ever "in" on grabo. And the fact that he is still unsigned tells me Grabo isnt looking for Cullen money or he'd already be snapped up.

we were most definitely in on Briere and Cullen was our fallback when DB chose the habs

Old
07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

"Best" by what measure?

No way he could keep up with Trotz's requirements for centers. Or the center requirements of half the coaches in the NHL, for that matter.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Why would he be our number one center? His stats don't say that, and we all know it's not hidden in his 2 way game.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:17 PM
maplepred

Fourthperiod.com said preds and two other teams are in on grabovski.

We didnt pick him up off waivers because we didnt want to pay him 5.5 million.

He hasn't signed yet because the guy just got married and is probably enjoying his honeymoon with new wife.

Look at his stats over last five seasons, tell me what predator forward has been better last five seasons than him?? And the guy isn't even thirty yet.

You guys all want to give stalberg a chance to flourish? Grabo is two years older and has proven way more than stalberg.

Give grabo chance to be the 'go to' guy and see how much better he is. I guarantee better than stalberg next season, no matter where he plays.

Old
07-17-2013, 04:26 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:

He hasn't signed yet because the guy just got married and is probably enjoying his honeymoon with new wife.

Look at his stats over last five seasons, tell me what predator forward has been better last five seasons than him?? And the guy isn't even thirty yet.

You guys all want to give stalberg a chance to flourish? Grabo is two years older and has proven way more than stalberg.

Give grabo chance to be the 'go to' guy and see how much better he is. I guarantee better than stalberg next season, no matter where he plays.
I'd love to see him sign with the preds. Fitting him under the cap might be a problem (such a weird phrase to type in regards to the preds), but he can come on over.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Not that the Preds definitely aren't in on him, but TFP isn't much of a step up from Hockeybuzz. Take what they say with a grain of salt, or eight.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:

I don't think Grabbo is coming here - and I wanted him the day he was put on waivers. I think the Preds are going with Cullen/Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad.

And it's not fair to compare him with Stalberg. Not the same kind of player. You should be putting your mad face on for Cullen in this case.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote