HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

MARA for BOYNTON revisited

Old
10-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Mike B.

vCash: 500
Boynton's problem is that he was never aware of the whole game on the whole ice surface. He was a terrific skater for a guy his size, but he often got caught at the offensive end because he didn't read the play.

For example, last year he got on the ice towards the end of a power play (in other words - the guy on the other team was about to get out of the box). The other Bruin point man pinched in, and failed to hold the puck in. What did Boynton do? He also pinched in, failed to hold the puck in, and the other team cleared the zone with a 2 on 1 against a Bruin forward, that became a 3 on 1 with the guy jumping out of the box.

That was one bad example, but plays like that were trademark Boynton. The best season of his Boston career came three eyars ago, when Shaone Morrisonn was his partner - because Morrisonn had the speed to get back on defense no matter what damfool thing Boynton did.

Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
PoisonEye
Where's Carl?

This was a great trade at the time and it looks even better now.

Mara is a solid top 3 guy on this team, and I haven't really seen anything but good plays out of him...I don't remember any real mistakes on D. Maybe someone more negative can correct me!

PoisonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:06 PM
NHRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
What can I say? I like Boynton's passion he brings night in and night out.......
I loved his passion too. Especially when he'd smash his stick after being completely deaked out leaving his goalie unprotected. Nick would really get passionate after being on ice for yet another goal.

No thanks. He just hasn't adapted to the new NHL and probably won't.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Cheesy

Mara has definitely been more solid defensively than I thought he would be. I didn't realize he was playing that much either til I saw his stats the other day. He's been under the radar because Lewis has felt the need to stifle his offensive game by not giving him any substantial power play time to speak of.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****

think they will trade him to dallas?

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:07 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Boynton is indeed on the block. Keep an eye on Edmonton.
san jose apparently wants in too. some nabokov to phoenix stuff quieted a bit, but after leneveu gave up 7 last night, i think they might revisit this.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Ortdogg

Boynton always has been over-rated i think. The Bruins got a steal in this trade, and given a 2nd chance at it, i bet phoenix wouldnt do it again

Ortdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 01:06 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I just don't understand why Mara isn't used extensively on the pp. that's great news he is playing well defensively but this is a fairly gifted offensive defenceman we are talking about him and he doesn't get the bulk of the pp??

what is going on there?? who is ahead of him and why?? are they playing that well that Mara can't get quality time??

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:50 AM
8BostonRocker24

I'm a huge Nick Boynton fan... but he's not a $2.95/year player in the new NHL... He was in the old NHL. This guy was at his best in 2004 when he was paired with Gonchar or Dan McGillis. In 03-04 I though McGillis-Boynton was our best pairing, But those two were 'old school' D-Men for the old NHL. They are both too slow for the new game.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:55 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Boynton is indeed on the block. Keep an eye on Edmonton.
He was only on the block because he was the only player they thought they might get a goalie for. He is liked by the fans here in Phoenix because he plays hard every game. SOmething Mara didn;t do. Nick also sticks up for the younger (and smaller) Dmen like Ballard and Z.

Being -5 the other night wasn;t surprising because teh entire team sucked arse that game..

Once Ballard comes back from his injury(2-3 weeks) he will be paired back with him. on the 2nd D group.

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:59 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
san jose apparently wants in too. some nabokov to phoenix stuff quieted a bit, but after leneveu gave up 7 last night, i think they might revisit this.

I wouldn;t bet on that... Lenny actually played well. The guys out in front of him left him hanging. Not picking up men. Not clearing the garbage in front.. It was UGLY... The only soft goal he let in was the 7th one.

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote