HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Games people loved that you hated

Old
07-17-2013, 12:47 AM
aleshemsky83

vCash: 500
I don't know if this game is necessarily loved but Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge was beyond effed up.

Normal:Almost impossible to get past the first level

Easy:You will never die, not even once. Once your health gets in the red every single attack is automatically blocked or dodged for you. I'm not exaggerating. You can't die.

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Gears of War franchise, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X (I won't say XIII since it's pretty reviled here), GTA4...
You are lucky, if you said FFVI I would seriously think you have something mentally wrong with you

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Mass Effect.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:44 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
You are lucky, if you said FFVI I would seriously think you have something mentally wrong with you
I think FFVI is overrated, much like FFVII.

It's overrated because it's mostly SNES fanboys arguing with PS1 fanboys as to which is better. Honestly, I can't stand both Kefka and Sephiroth at this point.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:34 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
For me I loved Batman:AA but didn't like Arkham City nearly as much. It really felt like you were just thrust into the middle of a huge achievement and side quest collection game right from the start with very little direction.

Oblivion and Skyrim sucked. Skyrim was a little better with the DLCs but I wouldn't consider either game a role-playing game. Morrowind actually had a story and characters/environments you cared about whereas Skyrim and Oblivion had neither. It's the same reason Fallout 3 was terrible and Fallout New Vegas was an amazing game. If Obsidian wrote the story and quests for the new Elder Scrolls game it would probably be one of my favorite games ever.
My problem with saying that "they sucked" is not that you are wrong if you are doing a comparison to Morrowind but I feel like Bethesda is teetering on the edge of greatness and has been held back by limitations in hardware and time more than anything. I'm very interested to see where they go next with TES.

Also, for the money, I don't think there's a better fantasy world/lore built than Tamriel, however you are right that your particular role hasn't been as interesting as Morrowind and Dagger.

Just a personal opinion but there's devs out there who it seems like are only in it for the money after making one good game (i'm looking at you Gearbox...) where as I feel Bethesda is honestly trying to make epic games with larger scopes than most developers.

I like rewarding that effort.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Captain Awesome

Anything made by Bethesda. I really don't get the appeal all that much. I'll admit that Skyrim was actually half decent, but Oblivion and Fallout 3 are just awful games. Also not a huge Mass Effect or Halo fan. Honestly, I could count on one hand the amount of times I felt the same about a AAA game as the general public did this generation. Plenty of good ones out there, incredibly few great ones that deserve their ratings IMO.

Oh, and I hated GTA IV. Easily the worst GTA, and the hype will never make sense to me.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:06 AM
patsbury

The whole Halo series, most overrated franchise

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Fourth Liner

Super Smash Bros, Halo and GTA4 are games I didn't liked at all even tho they are super popular.

In general: Indie games > AAA games (imo)

Fourth Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Shocked by people saying Fallout 3. Simply the greatest game ever made.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

it's a hipster thread!

Assassin's Creed....way to give away your "twist" to the story about 20 minutes into the game...ruined it for me

GTA IV....the worst one by far, and I loved Vice City and San Andreas...let's hope GTA V is light years better

FF X and FF XIII

Final Fanatsy XII was amazing and I loved the story, real-time time-based battles then they came out with garbage like XIII...way too "on the rails", boring story, terrible characters

FF X was a joke too, terrible voice acting and Tidus was the worst lead character in a FF game

and I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
My problem with FO3 was, that it didn't feel like a Fallout game. It was Oblivion with guns. New Vegas fixed that.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
it's a hipster thread!
No, it's a contrarian thread.

If it was hipster thread, it would be: "Games you love that most people probably haven't even heard of"

Or, "Games you loved way before they became popular and sold out"

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This x10000000! You should play TFC! There's still a community!
No way! I guess it is true great games never die. I wonder if my laptop could handle it now? My desktop has long since retired now that I am on my own and space saving is a priority.

Checking out my specs I don't appear to have a video card (it would be listed in my device manager, right?) I have trouble believing that. It is work issued though so who knows. The processor and ram should be able to handle it. Hell I'm pretty sure the first computer I played TFC on had like 300 MHZ processing power...

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Honestly Amnesia and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
I probably wouldn't hate it as much had I not played New Vegas to be honest

Playing New Vegas just magnified everything Bethesda sucks at

The VATS system was beyond broken in Fallout 3 and they fixed it in NV
Large swaths of nothingness in Fallout 3 fixed in NV: while I understand the point of "a whole lot of nothing" in a post-apocalytpic setting it doesn't make for good gameplay, NV had a ton of places to check out which made exploring that much better
Fallout 3 "morality" is basically good vs evil while NV introduces the varying shades of grey that make replaying missions interesting and give weight to the impact your decisions make; not to mention that a lot of quests in Fallout 3 all play out the same until the end where you just "good or evil" but NV had you play missions differently depending on what you wanted to do, not leave it up to a dialogue choice at the end of a quest. This also extends to the factions in Fallout 3: the Bortherhood of Steel is suddenly the unconditional good guys (which makes absolutely no sense in the lore) while the enclave are just downright evil with little no to motivation, all Super Mutants are evil; in NV you had the New Republic which was a pretty nuanced good guy (Caesar's Legion were pretty evil though) but you also had the opportunity to do your own thing, to stay unaligned and each sub-faction had it's good and bad points, even the Super Mutants were given character.
The writing in Fallout 3 just sucks no way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
My problem with saying that "they sucked" is not that you are wrong if you are doing a comparison to Morrowind but I feel like Bethesda is teetering on the edge of greatness and has been held back by limitations in hardware and time more than anything. I'm very interested to see where they go next with TES.

Also, for the money, I don't think there's a better fantasy world/lore built than Tamriel, however you are right that your particular role hasn't been as interesting as Morrowind and Dagger.

Just a personal opinion but there's devs out there who it seems like are only in it for the money after making one good game (i'm looking at you Gearbox...) where as I feel Bethesda is honestly trying to make epic games with larger scopes than most developers.

I like rewarding that effort.
If anything Bethesda is all about production values and very little design and little-to-no focus on writing and gameplay

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 07-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
LSnow

I liked FO3 much more than new vegas. It had more interesting surroundings, it was more difficult, quests were better (there wasnt a single moment in New Vegas that could compare to detonating the nuke )

New Vegas had boring landscape, the New Vegas itself was loading screen after loading screen without any content.

But it did do lot of things much better than FO3 so it was improvement. Just not as good overall.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

FO3 is literally the WORST Fallout game ever made and I've made 2350293509235092359032 points about it on here already.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
No way! I guess it is true great games never die. I wonder if my laptop could handle it now? My desktop has long since retired now that I am on my own and space saving is a priority.

Checking out my specs I don't appear to have a video card (it would be listed in my device manager, right?) I have trouble believing that. It is work issued though so who knows. The processor and ram should be able to handle it. Hell I'm pretty sure the first computer I played TFC on had like 300 MHZ processing power...
It'll probably work just fine. We're talking about a game that's almost 15 years old now... There aren't many servers left with people on them but you should still be able to find servers with humans on them. Especially between like 2-midnight EST.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I liked FO3 much more than new vegas. It had more interesting surroundings, it was more difficult, quests were better (there wasnt a single moment in New Vegas that could compare to detonating the nuke )

New Vegas had boring landscape, the New Vegas itself was loading screen after loading screen without any content.

But it did do lot of things much better than FO3 so it was improvement. Just not as good overall.
Exactly. New Vegas didn't feel like a post-apocalyptic game to me, it was just run down cities and robots everywhere. Nothing worth exploring. The world was boring and too upbeat with a loading screen for door after door. I can't think of any moment where I was really all that intrigued by the story or any moments that were all that great.

Fallout 3 was awesome, I could run around for hours without doing a single quest and completely immerse myself in that world. You'd stumble across a house somewhere and just find weird **** and piece together what happened there, even if it had nothing to do with any quest or side quest. The feeling of apocalypse was always present.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Exactly. New Vegas didn't feel like a post-apocalyptic game to me, it was just run down cities and robots everywhere. Nothing worth exploring. The world was boring and too upbeat with a loading screen for door after door. I can't think of any moment where I was really all that intrigued by the story or any moments that were all that great.

Fallout 3 was awesome, I could run around for hours without doing a single quest and completely immerse myself in that world. You'd stumble across a house somewhere and just find weird **** and piece together what happened there, even if it had nothing to do with any quest or side quest. The feeling of apocalypse was always present.
The thing is that, in Fallout, the apocalypse happened 200 years ago

It makes a lot of sense for society to start up again in New Vegas and no sense in Fallout 3 where it's like the bombs were dropped 10 years ago

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Then it's more interesting.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
Skyward Sword. Loved the combat and the first few levels. But it got too annoying for me. I dislike multitudes of puzzles in those types of games. A few are fine but it just was overkill for me.
All the Girahim fights drove me nuts in that game. In one of the later temples, in a lava room, you have to repel a bomb off a wall into a basket. Couldn't do it. Finally jumped onto the basket holding the bomb and took the damage and it worked.Got to the final fight but couldn't precision sword fight well enough to win.For me, this game would have been a lot more fun played on a less motion sensitive device as I also wasted a lot of time sideways jumping.The Lanaryu cave took me hours to finally beat.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Lebowski

Deus Ex... Bought it a while ago, played a bit, now I've been stuck on the same mission for a while and decided to just give up. I never felt all that immersed in the game to begin with.

Loved both Fallout 3 and NV, but I largely preferred NV for some of the reasons enumerated in this thread. I even bought both game of the year editions on steam since they were dirt cheap, but the fact you can't even start up the game without requiring to download mods to fix crashes is annoying to say the least. Also had to buy a Xbox controller for PC yesterday because I simply hated the controls since I played both games earlier on the Xbox.

So in essence, even though I got both games with all DLCs for a combined 11 bucks, I ended up spending an extra 50 bucks for a decent controller .

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
As a long time lover of JRPGs, I couldn't stand the love Xenogears got when it came out. I found it to be very bland, Fei was annoying, the gameplay sucked and the game was ****ing ugly for 1997 or whenever it came out, I have no idea how awful it is now. The OST kills, though, easily the best part about the game

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Bawston
Rookie User

Assassin's Creed is so freakin overrated. I enjoyed the first one but after that it got boring and way too ambitious. Yeah, the whole different periods of time and jumping from building to building is cool but it got too repetitive. AC is turning into CoD anyway, AC2, Brotherhood and Rev. were the same exact thing as AC1 imo. AC3 sounded like a good game when it was first announced. I'm Native American myself and it sounded cool how there was gonna be a half-Native character, but I could not get into it at all. The story is confusing as hell (ok we're fighting the British but they're Templars at the same time? What?) and it takes forever to actually play as Connor.

Last edited by Bawston: 07-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Bawston is offline   Reply With Quote