HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do you believe Brad Marchand deserves his negative reputation?

Old
07-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
I think Marchand would be pretty offended by the people saying he doesn't deserve it

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Old Man Barking

vCash: 500
I freaking loved that lowbridge. Amazed that people get so worked about over it.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:52 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
I freaking loved that lowbridge. Amazed that people get so worked about over it.
It was an extremely dirty play.

Of course I am certain you know that and just wnat people to get worked up.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
I'm sure lots of people loved seeing Chara's infamous rub-out of Pacioretty, too. Doesn't mean it wasn't worth getting worked up over. What's your point?

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:17 AM
terex

Brad Marchand is an ******* that I would love to have on my team. Ultimate pest in the Claude Lemieux mold.

terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
I think Marchand has deserved his reputation by certain instances in his past, but it seems like he has cut a lot of the borderline dirty stuff out of his game and now is a just a talented pest.

As long as he deliberately does things like this, it proves he hasn't changed his mindest one bit.
He's got a lot of skill, but his antics outweigh whatever amount of respect I could have for him as a hockey player.

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post

As long as he deliberately does things like this, it proves he hasn't changed his mindest one bit.
He's got a lot of skill, but his antics outweigh whatever amount of respect I could have for him as a hockey player.
That's the kind of cheap, gutless play I hate. There's no need for it, it's not a hockey player, he does it just because that's his nature. What I hate most is that Ferrence jumps in to save him.

The meme in Boston (just like in Pitt about Cooke) is that he's "changed" and doesn't dive or make cheap plays any more. Clearly it's not true.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Bmessy

I've got a love/hate thing going with Marchand. Love his real hockey game. Just a great player especially how he uses his size to his advantage, planting and getting under people. (not the low bridge)
The things like the knee to Kunitz and low bridges make me despise him. I see people wearing his uniform at games and I just wonder how they drop 200 on that. I know he is a pest and walks that line but being a downright cheap ***** just pisses me off. I don't care about things like dick tapping Callahan. But if your blatantly taking someones knees out, then **** off.
I do think he kind of cleaned up his game this past year. But when you do questionable things on the bigger stages people don't realize that.
And I'm pretty pissed he was invisible the whole SCF.

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

I'm just gonna post this once per day here. It sums him up perfectly.

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
IranCondraAffair

The antics and the chippyness I don't mind, they're part of the game from my perspective. All teams are guilty of it. Give me a petition that says it should stop and I'll sign it, but unless they can find a way to keep EVERYONE from doing it, then you're unfairly singling out players like Marchand who make it a part of their game.

Same thing with diving. I hate when EVERY team does it. At this point however, Marchand has such a reputation for diving that, in the future, there will likely be legitimate penalties on Marchand go uncalled because of his reputation. Things even out over the long term.

I draw the line at injuring other players with a deliberately dirty hits but, in Marchand's case, I don't think it's a recurring problem like Cooke or Torres. Marchand in under a microscope and he doesn't have a long record for illegal hits. To me, that is very telling. If he was consistently out there hurting people, I would hope the league would remove him from the game. If you look in almost any player's history you'll be able to dredge up an old youtube clip of ******** they've done in the past. The fact that there isn't 15 youtube clips of bad hits matters.

As far as him being a dick to the fans, well, that's money out of Marchand's pocket one way or another so, again, he's only hurting himself.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:15 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
The antics and the chippyness I don't mind, they're part of the game from my perspective. All teams are guilty of it. Give me a petition that says it should stop and I'll sign it, but unless they can find a way to keep EVERYONE from doing it, then you're unfairly singling out players like Marchand who make it a part of their game.

Same thing with diving. I hate when EVERY team does it. At this point however, Marchand has such a reputation for diving that, in the future, there will likely be legitimate penalties on Marchand go uncalled because of his reputation. Things even out over the long term.

I draw the line at injuring other players with a deliberately dirty hits but, in Marchand's case, I don't think it's a recurring problem like Cooke or Torres. Marchand in under a microscope and he doesn't have a long record for illegal hits. To me, that is very telling. If he was consistently out there hurting people, I would hope the league would remove him from the game. If you look in almost any player's history you'll be able to dredge up an old youtube clip of ******** they've done in the past. The fact that there isn't 15 youtube clips of bad hits matters.

As far as him being a dick to the fans, well, that's money out of Marchand's pocket one way or another so, again, he's only hurting himself.
But that's exactly the issue I have with his game.
He might not actually intend to injure, but he obviously doesn't mind if it happens. The knee on Kunitz or the slewfoot on Niskanen and lots of his other "borderline" work could easily have resulted in serious injuries. There's no way he's not aware of that.

And that is also why I don't like the Torres comparison some people bring up. Torres' hits were hockey plays. That's clearly too often not the case with Marchand's actions.

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
RaybCamn

I disagree, after the incident with Salo, he has changed quite abit, he was told to tone it down and has. He is no coward either I heard someone mention he does not run away from the other team. He has a nasty streak but there are players alot worse than him, in fact if he keeps playing the way he does, he is going to lose his dirty rep and be just a pest.

RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
lolwut

If Burrows does that to Seidenberg you would have been livid.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
thekernel

"I was trying to draw 5"

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
MerrimackBruin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
I'm just gonna post this once per day here. It sums him up perfectly.

Occasionally I will shake my head as a Bruins fan and think - "oh god Marchy why..." but... just about every game I find myself smiling, laughing, or cheering for this kid as he flips someone, smacks another guy, and drops his gloves like he did against the Van Can's....

He is responsible for some of the best "oh my god" moments on the team. He makes me want to cry sometimes but god love the kid. As long as people are defending people like Cooke on this board Marchand is a long way from hatred.

MerrimackBruin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
lolwut

If Burrows does that to Seidenberg you would have been livid.
Wouldn't have happened Seidenberg is bigger than Salo and isn't a wimp

I simply LOVE when people compare Torres and Cooke to Marchand it is ****ing hilarious

Shows just how much he has gotten under peoples skin

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Ryp37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post

I simply LOVE when people compare Torres and Cooke to Marchand it is ****ing hilarious

Salo pinching for a hit and getting low-bridged/ducked on by a rat=wimp

ok

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post

How is someone a wimp when they get lowbridged last-second by a dirty rat?

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Interactif

Every team would be better if they had a Marchand on their team, any fan that says no, is not being truthful. He has proven it to me when he is on his game, he can be a difference maker.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

He deserves every negative thing said about him. That said, he's more than an agitator. Kid's got quite a bit of skill and decent hockey IQ. Couple that with the fact he plays great with Bergy and you get an extremely effective player. I hate all the antics as it's just not my thing, but I'm not going to make much of a fuss because he is a solid hockey player to boot, but sometimes I wish he'd just shut the yapper.

Claude has benched him several times in the past, trying to round his game off which is nice.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Of course. Just watch the kind of **** he tries to stir after every single whistle.

However, that's not to say the other 29 teams in the NHL wouldn't take him.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
tsujimoto74

Yes and no. Obviously, he acts like a POS on the ice, has made more than his fair share of borderline hits, and has been known to dive. But he's also a really good hockey player, and I'd gladly take one of him on my team.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
number 11

every team in the nhl would take him, but for his talent and not the douchebaggery. he doesn't need to be that kind of player.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:30 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
every team in the nhl would take him, but for his talent and not the douchebaggery. he doesn't need to be that kind of player.
This is the thing.

The guy is talented enough to just play the game straight up and be successful. The low bridge rat garbage isn't necessary.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:54 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You should chat with a few of the non rose coloured glasses Bruins fans...
He's not as dirty as everyone makes him out to be. He's actually a clean player.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote