HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City to host preseason game (MTL/CAR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
barneyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
Hey Hamilton guys how would you have liked a pre-season game consisting of B squads of the Leafs and, say, Florida the season following Balsillie's saga?
The Colisée has been getting a Habs game since 2009, are you suggesting they should stop doing that because the city did _not_ get the Coyotes?

Old
07-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The Colisée has been getting a Habs game since 2009, are you suggesting they should stop doing that because the city did _not_ get the Coyotes?
No, I'm just saying that if we don't wanna be part of Montreal's market, we have to act accordingly. MOD

Old
07-12-2013, 08:05 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
No, I'm just saying that if we don't wanna be part of Montreal's market, we have to act accordingly. MOD
i just dont understand this line of reasoning.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
As far as I am concerned, no I would not suggest they (evenko/Canadiens) stop doing it, but I as a fan of the sport but less so of the league chose to not spend my money on NHL related products until I get my team. And I am just expressing my feeling locally hoping many more could join me in such actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i just dont understand this line of reasoning.
For me, is just feeling i'm less taken for granted by Uncle Gary.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Get used to this QC. You will be asked to host exhibition games for the NHL. And you will have to show that you can almost or completely fill the house, showing that there is demand for the NHL product in QC. Yes, I think we already know the answer to this. However, Winnipeg had to go through this process as well. It will seem like a slap in the face, but will put you in good favor with the Count for a potential team down the road.

Trust those of us who have already been down this path, we know where this is all going.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Does anyone really doubt that Quebec would sell out for NHL games? If anyone did doubt it, would one exhibition game at the old arena really be the way to resolve the doubt? I think they know very well that Quebec would be similar to Winnipeg as an NHL city (i.e. enthusiastic and financially more than viable). The issue is whether there are other potential franchise locations that better promote the NHL's long-term plans to "grow the game" (whatever one might think of those plans).

Old
07-12-2013, 08:50 PM
5 Minute Major

Whatever. Quebec fans should go. Just enjoy the hockey experience.

Quebec will get a team, hopefully, in the very near future. Then, you can cheer for the hometown team again. Until then, just stick it to the NHL and go. Show them the mistake they made/are making by not putting a team back in your hockey starved city.

Old
07-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Undertakerqc

The place will be filled. I am going, just to watch NHL hockey in my own town. The Habs usually dress a full lineup, or close to it. This exhibition game changes nothing to Québec chances to get a team.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:46 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
That's the kind of game I wish the Nordique Nation should boycott and spread the word thru out the city for anyone who wish they would attend it.
The opposite... there should be THOUSANDS outside of a sold-out arena for a fantastic photo-op and cover newspaper story about the demand for NHL hockey in the city.

Be committed and the day will return. Quebec City with its Bulldogs go back to the founding of ice hockey league play, well before the NHL. The city deserves a top-tier hockey league team in any era!

Old
07-13-2013, 02:12 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 96
This might serve as a good avenue for Nordiques fans to rally to show their support while simultaneously sticking it to the NHL to make it known that they're leaving money on the table.

Have an active drive to.... not buy tickets. Make that the big thing going up to the day of the event and then, when the gameday comes and there are hopefully only a few thousand tickets sold, have all the Nordiques fans descend on the area around the arena and have a big outdoor rally while the preseason game's going on inside.

Thinking that a near-empty arena where the fans inside are drowned out by the noise of the sea of blue outside would be an extremely powerful message.

Obviously, very, very, very unlikely.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:56 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Thinking that a near-empty arena where the fans inside are drowned out by the noise of the sea of blue outside would be an extremely powerful message.
Yeah, the reality is you would have a sold-out arena full of Habs fans.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Hal1971

Ok, I get it.

60 000 marching on the "Marche Bleue".
1500 going to a Islanders game
2200 to a NJ games
1 000 to sens games
over 10 000 for junior hockey
etc...

This is not enough to show our passion ???, guess I will have to go watch a game of a team I hate vs a team I dont care...

Old
07-15-2013, 03:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1971 View Post
guess I will have to go watch a game of a team I hate vs a team I dont care...
Nobody's making you. Again, there are plenty of Habs fans who will fill the place.

If you want your city represented to the world as being full of Habs fans, go right ahead and boycott.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:25 AM
MrSZ56

In my opinion if you guys show up wearing Quebec gear and cheer for the Hurricanes you will send the message that you want the NHL and are not a bunch of Habs fans. I fail to see why you guys can't understand this concept.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Nobody's making you. Again, there are plenty of Habs fans who will fill the place.

If you want your city represented to the world as being full of Habs fans, go right ahead and boycott.
Who cares whether they show up or not? The Nordiques nation traveling by the thousands to away games and showing up on the Plains of Abraham by the tens of thousands in Nordiques gear is a far more effective message to the world than going to a Habs game. Let's not be silly here.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSZ56 View Post
In my opinion if you guys show up wearing Quebec gear and cheer for the Hurricanes you will send the message that you want the NHL and are not a bunch of Habs fans. I fail to see why you guys can't understand this concept.
This is a good point. A Colisée full of blue and white clad Nordiques fans would be a fun thing to see.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Who cares whether they show up or not? The Nordiques nation traveling by the thousands to away games and showing up on the Plains of Abraham by the tens of thousands in Nordiques gear is a far more effective message to the world than going to a Habs game. Let's not be silly here.
That's cool. I'm not saying you should show up. I'm saying if you're ok with the story of the night being the sea of red at Le Colisee, then there's not an issue here at all.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:10 AM
LouisOlivier

The problem is that is a pre-season game... if it was a season game, it's 100% sure that I would buy these tickets and go cheer agaisn't those silly Montreal Canadian

Old
07-16-2013, 08:00 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
That's cool. I'm not saying you should show up. I'm saying if you're ok with the story of the night being the sea of red at Le Colisee, then there's not an issue here at all.
It's not like Bettman will ask everyone who comes if they're Nordiques fans or not. So what if Habs fans fill the building? The Habs are playing. lol

It really doesn't matter if Nordiques nation fill the building. It's not a 'test' if an NHL team would be good in QC, it's about money. This is a preseason game. It could've in Sweden, it would still be about the money, not the potential of this certain market.

Nothing to see here. Just speculations.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Hey, it's an opportunity to boo the bejeesus out of the Habs.

In fact, Nords fans should sing the Pageau song as a reminder to Montreal.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Swarez

[MOD]

Habs should always want to go to QC until they get a team, its only good business. Close road game, plus you grow a young fan base, kids will come out with there families and become Habs fans before there is a team in QC.

Look at Ottawa, most adults I know there are either Habs/Leafs fans even till this day. Get em young, get em forever.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 07-17-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Removed deleted post/quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:45 AM
tony d
The franchise

If I where the fans in Quebec City, I'd go to this game, have a sell out and hopefully that will show the NHL higher ups what a great hockey city Quebec City is and why it should get a NHL team.

07-17-2013, 09:46 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
I don't think we've had a thread on this yet, my apologies if I'm wrong.

The Hurricanes just released their preseason schedule:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

Friday, September 20th - Canadiens @ Hurricanes at Pepsi Colisee (Quebec City)

Yes, you read that right. @ Hurricanes

The teams play the next night at Bell Centre in Montreal, which is officially listed as @ Canadiens.
Every year that there has been a pre-season Habs game in Quebec City, they have played as the away team (except maybe during the Avs game). I heard that this was because some US teams had troubles selling out such games so they tried new markets to make more money.

Also before people go like "OMG exhibition game in QC CITY!!! Nordiques soon?" like if it was a once-in-a-lifetime event like I saw before, I want to remind you that Habs played a pre-season game in Quebec City every year since 2009 (except during the lockout):

2002: Montreal vs Colorado
2009: Montreal vs Boston
2010: Montreal vs Islanders (split squad)
2011: Montreal vs Tampa Bay
2012: Montreal vs Carolina (Cancelled due to lockout)
2013: Montreal vs Carolina

I feel bad for people who paid $100 to cheer against the Habs in 2010, because that Isles lineup was god-awful. Habs weren't even trying and they still won 7-2. A Remparts game vs Chicoutimi or Rimouski had more action. By the way, the first 4 exhibition games did sell out, but while the first two sold out in a few minutes, the last two only sold out at the very last minute. I guess that can be understood, though, after the disaster that happened at the Islanders game...

Last edited by DJ Omnimaga: 07-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old
07-18-2013, 02:22 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Slap in the face in my opinion

07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
SympathyForTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
If I where the fans in Quebec City, I'd go to this game, have a sell out and hopefully that will show the NHL higher ups what a great hockey city Quebec City is and why it should get a NHL team.
Frankly, we've gone past that point. People know Québec is a great hockey city. The NHL doesn't care. End of story.

I'm not mad that the game's being held here, and I have no problem with people going to the game. But we need to stop treating these things as an audition. Again, the NHL doesn't care. Even if we sold out every game held at the Colisée, the NHL would only point to it whenever they need to threaten an owner/city into building an arena.

The NHL has every information it needs to make decisions in relation to relocation/expansion. If they don't want to come here, they won't. And honestly, I'm tired of being constantly teased.

Closed Thread