HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephane Lebeau hired as Hamilton assistant coach

Old
07-16-2013, 05:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Prior to coaching, no coach had experience in coaching.
It's generally rare to see guys get their first gig as the head coach of an AHL team, though.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's generally rare to see guys get their first gig as the head coach of an AHL team, though.
Not really. Recent prime example is Luke Richardson - and he may be the best coach in the AHL

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That being said, a lot of people with no experience whatsoever are probably better than Lefebvre.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:17 PM
MXD

Forget what I said... Lebeau coached in the Q. The Tigres. Can't remember when or what he did. Will hockeydb it.

He did pretty bad when the team was totally depleted (a very young Keven Veilleux, Jason Demers -- not exactly a world beater either -- and a very young Kevin Poulin). Best player he coached there was possibly Morten Madsen (who?!). He was the head coach, and I hope it's not in that capacity that he was hired.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

For me, personnally, I don't think we're doing so good right now at preparing the future as far as coaching staff is concerned. Still not convinced that Sylvain Lefebvre is NHL Head coach material. Nor are his assistant coaches. And since the pool of "particular" coaches isn't THAT big, you need as many candidates you can whether it's from the Dogs or elsewhere. J.-F Houle, real soon, needs to be considered. Don't want the Dogs to do badly, as I prefer to see them win but it at worst it doesn't happen, they will have to consider, what it does seem, as a real career head coach.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For me, personnally, I don't think we're doing so good right now at preparing the future as far as coaching staff is concerned. Still not convinced that Sylvain Lefebvre is NHL Head coach material. Nor are his assistant coaches. And since the pool of "particular" coaches isn't THAT big, you need as many candidates you can whether it's from the Dogs or elsewhere.
I don't think we should be in the business of grooming NHL head coaches. We did that for the past 10 years.

I think Hamilton should focus on developing our prospects instead of developing the coach.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Very good hockey head, I really like this hiring.. Good news for Leblanc IMO..

Unlike WS, I personally believe in this coaching staff to develop our kids properly..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't think we should be in the business of grooming NHL head coaches. We did that for the past 10 years.

I think Hamilton should focus on developing our prospects instead of developing the coach.
No need to go in that debate yet again, point is whether we like it or not, it will be like that. We'll see how a new owner will deal with the issue but until then, why do you think Lefebvre was hired?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Very good hockey head, I really like this hiring.. Good news for Leblanc IMO..

Unlike WS, I personally believe in this coaching staff to develop our kids properly..
Not a fan of what Lefebvre did last year yet, we will give him a couple of other years. It's just that I believe a lot in Houle despite the Matteau incident.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Habbadasher

I was always a fan of Lebeau, on the ice and off the ice. He thought about his future after hockey, he invested in various business ventures. One was a dry cleaner, he gave free dry cleaning to the team (yeah, I know, not a way to make money).

He also went to Switzerland when it was apparent that his playing style was limiting his NHL options. They pay the best for the least amount of games. Again, smart.

Hopefully his intelligence translates into performance.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Nice, we needed some character.

On a side note, I think Hal Gill would made a great add to the development/D coaching staff if he ends up retiring. I wouldn't be surprised if he helped Subban a lot when he was coming into the NHL in terms of defensive play. His PK positioning and his good timing of going down to block passes can be of use too.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
boynickname

Again we hire another AHL coach with limited coaching experience...well that is what it looks to me.
I really think we need a coach that has more experience coaching ....I really want our prospect to learn...and win games
A good coach can do both...teach and win

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
To me, this is a good move. He will focus primarily on skills and offense; something the team lacked last year. Structure appears to be Lefebvre's strong suit. Pretty sure Bergevin has kept Lefebvre because he trusts him to think and act as he would himself.

Lebeau will help our offensive players -- guaranteed.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:01 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For me, personnally, I don't think we're doing so good right now at preparing the future as far as coaching staff is concerned. Still not convinced that Sylvain Lefebvre is NHL Head coach material. Nor are his assistant coaches. And since the pool of "particular" coaches isn't THAT big, you need as many candidates you can whether it's from the Dogs or elsewhere. J.-F Houle, real soon, needs to be considered. Don't want the Dogs to do badly, as I prefer to see them win but it at worst it doesn't happen, they will have to consider, what it does seem, as a real career head coach.
Anyways, this organization is doing what they do best. Hiring the GM's buddies...

This is a trend with them, connection over qualification.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
Anyways, this organization is doing what they do best. Hiring the GM's buddies...

When the people that are considered to be "qualified" consist of recycled trash then you need to look elsewhere. Everybody has to start somewhere and Bergevin has a lot of hockey connections. There are obviously people that he played with/against that he feels can do the job.

Part of being qualified in Montreal is a French speaking coach and there are very few of them around that would be competent enough to coach in the NHL. It is clearly part of his mandate to try and develop some in order to deepen the pool when the time comes to make a change.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
25get

Let's hope the Dogs will improve.
We remember last year was pretty bad but the previous year was also bad.

Difference is the change in philosophy.

In 2011-12, the first scorer of the Dogs were:
Willsie, Enqvist, Palushaj, DeSimone, St-Denis, Dumont, Stafford and Schultz.
Willsie 33, Enqvist 23, Desimone 24, St-Denis 25 and Stafford 31 were all gone at the end of 2012.
Clement Jodoin was the coach.

Production: 34W-35L-2OT, 185GF, 226GA, 1,214pim.

So in 2012-13 the top scorer were:
Dumont, Beaulieu, Bournival, Holland, Tenute, Blunden, Gallagher and Leblanc.
Tenute is 29, Blunden is 25 and everyone else is 21 or below.
Production: 29W, 41L, 1OT. 159GF, 228GA, 1,447pim.
New coach came in: Sylvain Lefebvre.

So we had 5W less, 26GF less and 233pim more.

Difference is that 7 of our top-8 offensive players were gone and replaced on top-6 by younger prospects.

Not sure we can blame Lefebvre for the decrease production.

Grand Rapids won with one 24 year old player (Hogan) and Mrazek (.916) in the goal.
Crunch had JT Wyman (26) among their top-9 with Helenius (25 years old who replace Tokarski) in the goal.

Let's hope our young players did mature with more ice time and we can make the PO this season.

But we must also admit that our AHL pool is well below the TBL and Det.

This season should be better with Andrighetto, Thomas, St.Pierre, Tarnasky, Condon, Dietz, Nygren, Duffy, MacAuley and Fournier added.
In bold, players that should have an impact.

While Tenute, Blunden (waivers), Gallagher and Tinordi are the only ones gone among top players.

So there is going to be a lot of players to fill in our team in AHL and some will be in ECHL ready to be called back.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post

Willsie 33, Enqvist 23, Desimone 24, St-Denis 25 and Stafford 31 were all gone at the end of 2012.

Difference is that 7 of our top-8 offensive players were gone and replaced on top-6 by younger prospects.

Grand Rapids won with one 24 year old player (Hogan) and Mrazek (.916) in the goal.
Crunch had JT Wyman (26) among their top-9 with Helenius (25 years old who replace Tokarski) in the goal.

Let's hope our young players did mature with more ice time and we can make the PO this season.

This season should be better with Andrighetto, Thomas, St.Pierre, Tarnasky, Condon, Dietz, Nygren, Duffy, MacAuley and Fournier added.

While Tenute, Blunden (waivers), Gallagher and Tinordi are the only ones gone among top players.

So there is going to be a lot of players to fill in our team in AHL and some will be in ECHL ready to be called back.
St. Pierre is probably the most impactful addition but you didn't bold his name but bolded Duffy????

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Well....most people will do that. You surround yourself with people you know most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Part of being qualified in Montreal is a French speaking coach and there are very few of them around that would be competent enough to coach in the NHL. It is clearly part of his mandate to try and develop some in order to deepen the pool when the time comes to make a change.
Absolutely. People, one day, will have to understand that, whether it's great or not. What people don't understand is that they keep mentioning how we might miss on great candidates to choose the franco ones...problem is that getting a GREAT coach is often just as much as a crapshoot than picking in the 4th round. Unless your name isn't Mike Babcock....I don't think we can already pinpoint who is a great coach or not. Most of those great coaches will probably be fired in 2 years. Geez, even a guy like Vigneault who was coaching the Nucks for the last 100 years, tons of people here thinks he's incompetent....so even the length of your stay isn't a proof that you are great or not. So in the end, you still can pick up a good coach but has to take into consideration the PR job he has to do for this city. Doesn't meant that you should go after ANY franco coaches though.....again, not sure Lefebvre was the best choice...But we'll see about that in 1 or 2 years.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:46 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
St. Pierre is probably the most impactful addition but you didn't bold his name but bolded Duffy????
St. Pierre is 29 years old.
As for MacAuley and Fournier, I do expect them to have less impact on the team.

I bolded the young players who should have impact on the team's performance.
Seems the bolded ones should be top-9/top-4.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
KoZed

Quote:

I don't think many of the staff signings are Bergevin buddies. Off the top of my head, only Lapointe, Waite and Dudley have links with Bergevin going back to their work in Chicago, which built the core of a franchise that won 2 Cups.

Timmins, Carriere, Leblanc & most of the amateur scouts were already here before Bergevin. Gallant, Daigneault, Jodoin were chosen by Therrien.

Looking at the rest of the guys he hired, I see Mellanby, Brisebois, Churla, Madden, Audette, Moreau, Lefevbre, Duchesne, Marciano. I don't think many of them have much ties to Bergevin.

If there's any trend, it's that Bergevin heavily favors A) ex-NHL players and B) mid-40's and younger. I dont think Bergevin playing 2 seasons with Mellanby or 1 season with Dufresne or having Madden play 1 season in Chicago instantly and automatically make those guys "buddies". Bergevin played 20 seasons all over the place. Off course he'll cross path with some guys his age who are now like him in their second career.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
To me, this is a good move. He will focus primarily on skills and offense; something the team lacked last year. Structure appears to be Lefebvre's strong suit. Pretty sure Bergevin has kept Lefebvre because he trusts him to think and act as he would himself.

Lebeau will help our offensive players -- guaranteed.
To be honest I really do not know if the coaches we hired are good...I guess I was hoping for a bigger name to coach in the AHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post

I can see you know a lot more about what is happening in Hamilton then I do. The truth is I am judging Hamilton by there record. (not always the best thing to do )
Well I hope the coaches we do have, do a awesome job teaching and win more games.
We need a winning Atmosphere....It does wonders for confidence and attitude

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
25get

Last time Dogs were in PO, they had:
  • Palushaj,
  • Desharnais (45 points in 35 games),
  • Maxwell,
  • Wyman,
  • Pacioretty (32 points in 27 games).
All produced more than anyone this year.

Point I am trying to make is that the Dogs were depleted/too young last season.
We can not blame the coaching staff.

Next season will tell us more and in 2014-15, we should see much better results adding:
Collberg, DelaRose, Bozon, Hudon, Vail, Thower, Bennett and Lekhonen.
This team will be young players competing for the AHL championship.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
S Bah

I have complete faith in Bergevin's abilities to Manage both teams and the success the Habs had last year, should be enough to warrant belief for most fans IMHO.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

hope he brings his blue skates with him, was a big fan of his when I was a kid, so hopefully he can help the Dogs improve their offense and PP woes.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:16 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
To be honest I really do not know if the coaches we hired are good...I guess I was hoping for a bigger name to coach in the AHL

I can see you know a lot more about what is happening in Hamilton then I do. The truth is I am judging Hamilton by there record. (not always the best thing to do )
Well I hope the coaches we do have, do a awesome job teaching and win more games.
We need a winning Atmosphere....It does wonders for confidence and attitude
Not really. You are probably more versed in this than me.

I am just looking at the situation and trying to understand.
The results in the last two years are quite bad in Hamilton.
So I am trying to understand what happened.

The simple answer: blame Lefebvre seemed simplistic.
So I looked deeper to try to understand.

I maybe wrong but if I do, some more enlightened poster will correct me and I am perfectly fine with this.

I wish we had the same depth of young players as the team who went deeper in the AHL PO:
  • Det and TBL went to the calder cup with young players;
  • Edm and Pit were in conference finals (Pit was a bit older);
  • Dal, Bos, Tor and CLB did 2 rounds with very few older players.
Detroit have Nyquist, Tatar, Ferraro, Sheahan, Billings, Jurco and Almquist maturing in the pipeline. Billings is the oldest at 23.

TBL have Johnson, Connoly, Palat, Barberio, Panik and Killorn doing the same thing.

Dogs only have three players with 30+ points (barely): Bournival, Dumont and Beaulieu.

It could very well be that we will be a contender when our AHL team will be a contender with young players like Grand Rapids and Syracuse did this year.

For now, we are doing a transition where we are bringing younger players to replace AHL vets.
At least, our young prospects will have top-6/top-4 TOI.

Based on this, I think that Lefebvre did a good job given the team he had.