HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Clifford on the block

Old
07-17-2013, 08:07 AM
ncredible

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Man I don't know what I'd want Edmonton to offer for him, but I'd LOVE it if Edmonton landed Clifford.

3rd rounder and a prospect would hopefully be Edmonton's offer. I don't see our main trade pieces working into L.A's plans because of how much cap space they have.

I'm surprised Clifford is up for trade. If Edmonton lands him and plunks him on the 3rd line... damn. We Oil fans will be in for a treat. Big young and phyiscal.

Can someone please get me Mac-T's phone number? I gotta talk to him about this!

How much would Clifford be after? North of 1.5M? 2ish? Man. Crossing fingers right now.
This is exactly how I feel. C

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:10 AM
ncredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Man I don't know what I'd want Edmonton to offer for him, but I'd LOVE it if Edmonton landed Clifford.

3rd rounder and a prospect would hopefully be Edmonton's offer. I don't see our main trade pieces working into L.A's plans because of how much cap space they have.

I'm surprised Clifford is up for trade. If Edmonton lands him and plunks him on the 3rd line... damn. We Oil fans will be in for a treat. Big young and phyiscal.

Can someone please get me Mac-T's phone number? I gotta talk to him about this!

How much would Clifford be after? North of 1.5M? 2ish? Man. Crossing fingers right now.
This is exactly how I feel. Completely perfect fit for Edmonton.
Give LA what they need. I'd even give next years 2nd or send them an upgrade on a d for a multiple player trade since they have 9 defenders. Whatever it's just an example that I'd be all over this at which ever cost. Honestly if I'm Mac T I'm even goin to try and get my 2nd back from St. Louis and give them next years 2nd and a 4th or whatever. JUST GET CLIFFORD!

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Could he play 3rd line? or is he strictly a 4th line dude?

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
I'd love him in Vancouver. Probably in the minority here but I'd ship fellow RFA Chris Tanev for Clifford.
Tanev won't get you Clifford. The Kings have zero use for Tanev.

The Kings also won't trade Clifford within the division

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Could he play 3rd line? or is he strictly a 4th line dude?
He played on every line last season. When kopi was in slump last year, sutter pluged clifford for few games on his wing for energy..

JureEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Love this guy, would give up our 1st for him.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I just thought after the Luongo saga Canuck fans were turning on Gillis, not to mention hiring Torts
Some Canuck fans have, most of the more logical ones who can see the forest for the trees so to speak can understand the dilemma. We aren't thrilled with how the situation was handled, but a good portion of us are overall happy with the end result. Gillis has been the best GM we have had here in years, he has really transformed the organization. He is also a young GM who will make mistakes, just as all GMs do (see the buy-outs). Where as we don't like how the situation was handled, most of the more logical fans can get over that and focus on the bigger picture.

On to Clifford: I'd like the guy in Vancouver, but I wouldn't offer Tanev for him. We need defensive depth, especially cheap guys who can step into key roles. Both Tanev and Corrado are those guys, we will need both if we hope to go far. Not to mention, I have no idea why LA would want a young #4/5 defenseman with upside.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:43 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JureEe View Post
He played on every line last season. When kopi was in slump last year, sutter pluged clifford for few games on his wing for energy..
Interesting, did not know he was that capable of a player.

Seems like a real wildcard to have around, I'm sure quite a few would inquire. But by the same token, why would LA want to move a guy who will likely sign to a respectable cap hit and play for every penny?

Unless they see the interest and feel they can capitalize, while replacing internally; Sometimes it happens with players like that. Wouldn't doubt it that they are just gauging the value our there.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Holy cow would I love to upgrade from the oaf Parros to Clifford. Kid hits, fights, and can play. Exactly what we need.

07-17-2013, 08:50 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Come home to Toronto Kyle! We can slot you on our 3rd line. He's another one of your prototypical "Randy Carlyle players".

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Clifford - Bolland - Kulemin
MacLaren - McClement - Orr

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:59 AM
TOGuy14

Despite Orr and McLaren, I could see the Leafs at least inquiring into the price.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/2013-14-sa...ation-schedule

Jordan Nolan and Trevor Lewis of the Los Angeles Kings are scheduled for arbitration. Surprised Kyle Clifford did not file for arbitration.
He wasn't eligible.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Prongo
Beer

Flyers and Kings have a great relationship when it comes to trades. Clifford would give the Flyers three power forwards to give us some sand paper on every line. Lavy loves his jam. I wonder what his contract demands are?

Also I see someone mention a first rounder for him? Not a chance you are going to get that in return(I don't think it was a Kings fan who mentioned it)

I'm thinking second round pick. Or a prospect like Cousins from the Flyers.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Anderson55

Niskanen/Jokinen for Clifford and a pick?

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:51 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Would they deal one of them along with Clifford to Edmonton if the price was right?
THis was my immediate thought upon hearing the rumor. Not EDM specifically but bundling Clifford with a d-man.

I couldn't see the Kings evening listening to offers involving Doughty, Voinov, Regehr, or Greene. The value of what's left is certainly questionable though... No one really knows what is going on with Mitchell, Ellerby, and Schultz have very limited value I'd think. That leaves Muzzin, and Martinez. The Kings seem obsessed with Muzzin so I think Martinez would be the odd man out. Kings are tight against the cap as well and have too many players so likely be asking for picks/prospects in return.

Basically something built around Clifford, Martinez to EDM for pick/s and prospect/s?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Come home to Toronto Kyle! We can slot you on our 3rd line. He's another one of your prototypical "Randy Carlyle players".

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Clifford - Bolland - Kulemin
MacLaren - McClement - Orr
Salary cap says hello.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Niskanen/Jokinen for Clifford and a pick?
Kings are already tight against the cap as it is... If they can't afford to pay Clifford ~1.5 - 2 million (as rumored) why would they want / be able to take back $4.4 million in salary back from the Pens?

Plus the Kings have 9 NHL d-men already... They have only 11 forwards signed but have only like 2.3 in cap space to sign their 3 remaining RFAs. Don't need more D-men and for sure can't take on more salary in a trade.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

I would gladly take him on the Pens.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Petes2424

This one smells of a Jimmy Rutherford type trade. He's always in on guys and he has the assets he's always been willing to deal and Clifford can play many roles in Carolina. Other teams that we see mentioned either dont have the cap space, prospects, need to shed players themselves, draft picks, are in the Kings division, etc, etc...

Look at a team like Carolina, Nashville, Florida... Something like Grimaldi and a pick or something. Rocco is still a couple of years away from real NHL time, highly skilled and fits more into the Kings prospect time frame.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Kings can't take on salary. They're either packaging Clifford with a defenseman and a prospect and looking for a LW upgrade or they're moving Clifford for a 2nd or prospect winger for Manchester.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:41 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Salary cap says hello.
Unless he want something like 2+ million it really would change nothing. D'Amigos cap hit is north of 1 slightly, Colbornes as well... Minimal difference unless he wants more in which case Toronto wouldn't be interested

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:43 AM
stromboner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Some Canuck fans have, most of the more logical ones who can see the forest for the trees so to speak can understand the dilemma. We aren't thrilled with how the situation was handled, but a good portion of us are overall happy with the end result. Gillis has been the best GM we have had here in years, he has really transformed the organization. He is also a young GM who will make mistakes, just as all GMs do (see the buy-outs). Where as we don't like how the situation was handled, most of the more logical fans can get over that and focus on the bigger picture.

On to Clifford: I'd like the guy in Vancouver, but I wouldn't offer Tanev for him. We need defensive depth, especially cheap guys who can step into key roles. Both Tanev and Corrado are those guys, we will need both if we hope to go far. Not to mention, I have no idea why LA would want a young #4/5 defenseman with upside.
I'm with you. There are many inflammatory/knee jerk reaction type fans who seem to hate the coaching staff and management no matter what. They'll never be appeased and probably don't follow the team that closely. Following the Luongo-Schneider timeline, you realize that Gillis didn't have that much opportunity to trade either goalie for a huge return. His best bet was probably the 2011/2012 trade deadline prior to the LA series. After that the CBA and Luongo's comments handcuffed Gillis. I also agree that the Schneider trade was ultimately a little underwhelming. Would have liked to get another pick or prospect, but Horvat looks like a good prospect that also address the organizational need for young centres.

RE: Clifford. I like him, but don't see a fit on this team. I just can't see either of Higgins or Hansen on the 4th line. They deserve at least the 3rd line ice-time/responsibility. Clifford could take a 3rd line spot if one of Hansen or Higgins are bumped up to the 2nd line, but that would move Kassian out of the top6 onto the 4th line, which is not ideal for his development. If Clifford takes a top6 spot, that again bumps Kassian down the 4th line. Maybe the coaching staff wouldn't mind sending Kassian to Utica for most of the season, using his only as an injury call-up. Maybe the line up looks like this:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Booth
Clifford/Schroeder/Hansen
Sestito/Richardson/Weise

With Kassian in the line-up, maybe it looks like this:

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Burrows/Kesler/Booth
Higgins/Schroeder/Hansen
Clifford/Richardson/Weise

Clifford is probably too expensive and useful of a player to be getting 10 or fewer minutes a night, that's why I don't see a good fit on this team. I would rather an upgrade at 3C.

stromboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Look at a team like Carolina, Nashville, Florida... Something like Grimaldi and a pick or something. Rocco is still a couple of years away from real NHL time, highly skilled and fits more into the Kings prospect time frame.
Dude is a little person, not a Kings type of player. They're bigots that way. No booster seats allowed.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Asheru

A lot of Flames and Oilers fans have interest, but I don't see the Kings making that trade within their division. What would be the point?

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

I love Rumors. Clifford will sign a 2-3 year deal with the Kings. Martinez was supposed to be traded as well...oh wait...!

My guess is Nolan and one of our bottom D will be dealt.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote