HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

Old
07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Yeah - Erik Karlsson was really ruined by staying in Sweden an extra year.

DLR didn't receive a pile of ice time last year versus men because he was 17. Unlike Collberg however - he's 6-3, and already very strong defensively, so I have a feeling he will get more ice time than Collberg did. Even so, Colberg got to play quite a bit, including with U-20 and U-19 teams and in another division..and from all accounts looked pretty good at the Habs development camp...no signs of him being "ruined". It should also be noted that the competition will be better, and he'll have better workout facilities than they have in Windsor.

From a personal viewpoint I would have preferred him coming over, but it's not like he's playing in Dartmouth or something. He'll play in almost as many U-20 games alone than they play all season in Dartmouth.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:37 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Yeah - Erik Karlsson was really ruined by staying in Sweden an extra year.

DLR didn't receive a pile of ice time last year versus men because he was 17. Unlike Collberg however - he's 6-3, and already very strong defensively, so I have a feeling he will get more ice time than Collberg did. Even so, Colberg got to play quite a bit, including with U-20 and U-19 teams and in another division..and from all accounts looked pretty good at the Habs development camp...no signs of him being "ruined". It should also be noted that the competition will be better, and he'll have better workout facilities than they have in Windsor.

From a personal viewpoint I would have preferred him coming over, but it's not like he's playing in Dartmouth or something. He'll play in almost as many U-20 games alone than they play all season in Dartmouth.
It's nice to hear about those tournaments, will also help with his development. I was hoping he would come to the CHL for his offensive game. Like you said, he already has good size and defensive abilities, but I'm not sure he'll get the offensive opportunities.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Grant McCagg

Having young players in third or fourth line roles while playing with men is not going to ruin their offensive potential. It was the Habs' philosophy for many years and it seemed to work fine...even Lafleur had to pay his dues in his early pro years..same with Shutt...they turned out okay.

We shouldn't get too wrapped up in DLR's offence anyway - a very good chance his role is going to be as a third-line shutdown center in the NHL, and that's a tremendously important role....Scotty Bowman played his checking center more than anyone, especially while holding a lead, which was often. I would prefer he be working on that moreso than picking up bad habits, and Sweden is notorious for developing excellent defensive players.

If he has the offensive talent, it will show. If not..he's in the best possible place to hone his defensive skills anyway.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Do you all see him more as a centerman or winger?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really like the way he skates down the ice with the puck on his stick. Pretty reminiscent of Lars this season. I'd like to see him play center.

Galch
Eller
DLR

Would be a pretty awesome trio down the middle.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Centreman. 100%. He's exactly built for patrolling the middle of the ice, and has the engine to match.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Warren Rychel is PISSED:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/07...ain-in-sweden/

Quote:
The move came as a surprise to Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel, who took the six-foot-two, 190-pound centre with the 11th pick overall in this month’s European Import Draft.

“I thought it was 99 per cent he was coming,” Rychel said. “I’m very disappointed in the turn of events.”

Rychel placed the blame on the shoulders of former NHL goaltender Tommy Salo, who is the general manager of Leksand.

“Tommy Salo hung three parties out to dry,” Rychel said. “The kid and his family, the Montreal Canadiens and the Windsor Spitfires.

“The kid wanted to play here and he would have developed here much more.”

“We took a calculated risk and seven days ago we thought it was a done deal,” Rychel said. “It’s frustrating because (Salo) said he would give him his release.

“It’s unfortunate we got lied to, but I want to thank Craig and Marc. They did everything in their power.”

With the team moving to the Swedish first division, it’s not clear if the 18-year-old de la Rose will find any additional ice time this season.

“It’s not over 100 per cent, but today is not a good day,” Rychel said. “Maybe something changes if he’s not playing.

“Worst-case scenario, he comes next year, but we’ll see how the year starts (in Leksand).”

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Scotianhab

Would have loved to see him in Windsor playing with Vail and Rychel but if he ends up getting regular minutes in Sweden then it's not a bad thing.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yikes... Warren Rychel is not one to hold back on how he feels, apparently.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Erik Estrada

Tommy Salo: "DLR staying in Leksand!!!''

"......(silence)....''

Tommy Salo: "...testing, testing, is the mike working?, testing...''

Warren Rychel not amused

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:22 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Having young players in third or fourth line roles while playing with men is not going to ruin their offensive potential. It was the Habs' philosophy for many years and it seemed to work fine...even Lafleur had to pay his dues in his early pro years..same with Shutt...they turned out okay.

We shouldn't get too wrapped up in DLR's offence anyway - a very good chance his role is going to be as a third-line shutdown center in the NHL, and that's a tremendously important role....Scotty Bowman played his checking center more than anyone, especially while holding a lead, which was often. I would prefer he be working on that moreso than picking up bad habits, and Sweden is notorious for developing excellent defensive players.

If he has the offensive talent, it will show. If not..he's in the best possible place to hone his defensive skills anyway.
No, I don't think it will ruin him staying there. You think he will end up a center? I know he could play all positions, but thought he was more of a North-South player; fast and strong. A big two-way center is definitely something all teams could use. I think he may have more offense than people give him credit for, but we'll see.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Again, all comes down to icetime. If he gets significant icetime only if it's "just" on a 3rd line, get some PK once in a while and all, it will be a better experience for him over there yet....he is the youngest player of them all. History shows that unless you are an exceptional, you don't have icetime. I mean, Collberg looks incredibly impressive at our camp looking almost NHL ready (yes, it is just a development camp...I know), at least when you compare him to everybody, most of them older than him and what type of icetime did he get? Collberg in the CHL is a top 10 scorer of any league.

One point Grant said though that speaks for De la Rose is how responsible he is defensively. And that's surely, one big reason why those kids do not get as much icetime, it's their work on their defensive zone. He should be able to get his coach's confidence. Yet....he'll still be fighting with guys more experienced than him.

We'll see. You have to think that despite De la Rose wish, despite EVERYBODY's wishes, Salo wants to keep him.....he will make sure he gets some appropriate icetime. Everything else and it's incredibly bad faith.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

I knew he wouldnt be released... they like their local talent out there.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Yabob

And don't forget that Collberg had to fight for a spot on a much stronger roster. Leksand's roster on the other hand.... well it's weak, really weak. For them to not finish last would be a surprise (perhaps even a hugh one).

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
And don't forget that Collberg had to fight for a spot on a much stronger roster. Leksand's roster on the other hand.... well it's weak, really weak. For them to not finish last would be a surprise (perhaps even a hugh one).
The other reason that he should see significant ice time is his size and strength. Unlike Collberg, DLR will be one of the biggest forwards on his team.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:08 AM
odishabs

centreman.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg

Bozon** - Eller - Gallagher

Hudon - De La Rose - McCarron

Crisp - Bournival - Fournier

this is all subject to change. But I believe as of now this is our future. We really need a big bodied 2nd line sniper type for that second line.

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Rychel, in this article, says he was lied to. Says that he was certain he was coming as Salo said he would have given the kid his release and then didn't. So it's one thing to not fault Salo as he only cares about his team....but it's another thing to give people some false hopes...

One thing is sure though....Rychel's isn't helping himself as far as this year is concerned....if he thinks Salo will not change his mind or even send him in mid-season....pretty sure that article won't help.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/07...ain-in-sweden/

Old
07-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
centreman.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg

Bozon** - Eller - Gallagher

Hudon - De La Rose - McCarron

Crisp - Bournival - Fournier

this is all subject to change. But I believe as of now this is our future. We really need a big bodied 2nd line sniper type for that second line.
I like how half or more of these prospects will likely bust.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:04 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
I like how half or more of these prospects will likely bust.
HALF?! Which ones...

Old
07-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
HALF?! Which ones...
Who knows, even Bozon, Hudon or Collberg could bust.
My point is, Ive been reading this forum for a decade, and every year people post a potential lineup for the future with 90-100% prospects. Reality is, more than half of them never make it to be a full time NHLer.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I would like to see him groomed as a center. First it's a more "prime" position. Second, it's aeasier to move a center to wing than a winger to center down the road.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
odishabs

Quote:
My point is, Ive been reading this forum for a decade, and every year people post a potential lineup for the future with 90-100% prospects. Reality is, more than half of them never make it to be a full time NHLer.
I could see Bozon, maybeee Collberg. But its really tough for a kid like Hudon to bust, bc even if he never becomes an elite scorer his two way game will make him an NHL 3rd liner somewhere.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I don't think anything is wrong with him staying in Sweden, it's a great place to develop and everyone has access to fantastic facilities. This also gives JDLR an opportunity to play in the WJC.

The issue I have is that a team should just give a young player what he desires. I don't mean cave to his demands, but it's obvious he's not in your longterm plans and it's likely he won't be much more than a 3rd liner on your team. Let the kid go where he chooses, it's his career.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Hard to say what the truth is here......

Rychel is coming off as a bit of an idiot. He is only hurting his own team by publicly spouting off like this. Salo surely won't want to help him now or any time in the near future after this childish rant. Other owners/gm's of other European teams may be taking notice of this as well.

No good can possibly come from Rychel's antics and it is his responsibility to always act in the best interest of his team. Salo may very well be a ****** bag but this won't change a thing. I am sure that DLR would like Rychel to shut his mouth right now as he will have to deal with him in person.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
While I totally agree with your general train of thought here, you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this team drafted like garbage for years. Timmin's has pumped out a lot of NHLers during his tenure.