HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think anybody is surprised that you're so eager to stop discussing this.

In the end, you were wrong.

[mod]

but, since i saw it, i'll just post what i said last year since week #1.

"regardless of who is in net, this team needs to tighten up defensively & play 60 minute games"

"as i have said since week one, that this team has a few major issues:

frequent lack of hustle / urgency - seen today
awful amount of turnovers leading to high % scoring chances
inordinate amount of guys left alone / breakaways
over all awful team D"

"id be fine w/ Mason"

"lol .... Mason starts a game & the focus is on a Bryz interview.

at this point, i'd rather they buy him out & serve up another scapegoat for the forums"

"Mason was good.

this team still stinks defensively.

goaltending is NOT the issue."

"doesn't matter who is in net, just like i said:

uncovered opponents: Gervais left his man
turnover & high % scoring chance [goal #2]
lack of hustle & "playoff lives on the line" effort

are this team's issues.

Mason played & they still stunk defensively, so they can't even use the "we hate Bryz, so we're not going all out tonite" excuse.

P A T H E T I C"

nobody will ever know how Mason would have done starting 21 of 22 games in 45 days, or whatever it was, nor will anyone know if Bryz would be better this year if the Flyers play tighter defense and start giving 60 minute efforts & stop "going through the motions" as Hartsie pointed out. Even Mason couldn't overcome that in games last year.

i'm glad they freed up money with the 2 buyouts & am happy with Emery & Mason.

you can have your opinion, but don't tell me i'm wrong. as i said last year last year, Bryz needed to play better [as he did for the 1st 12-14 games or so], but in my view, goaltending was not the issue;

frequent lack of hustle / urgency / awful amount of turnovers leading to high % scoring chances / inordinate amount of guys left alone & breakaways / over all awful team D

were this teams biggest issues. in my view.

you can claim Bryz was the team's biggest issue & i will say that you are entitled to your opinion & that I dont agree with you.

so, we disagree ...... but don't go inventing that my opinion was wrong, because that cannot be 'proven' .... the ONLY way to determine if one of us is "right or wrong" would be if the ONLY change they made for this year was cutting Bryz & seeing how another goalie would do on the SAME EXACT team ..... and even that would really be impossible, because injuries have healed & this year we are most likely gonna have a healthier non-AHL defense in front of our goalies.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-17-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Discussion of ignore lists is frowned upon
Old
07-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Dude, you spent two years defending Bryzgalov tooth and nail and then latched onto Mason when it was clear Bryz's ship was sinking fast and he was a convenient out. It's not the first time you moved the goalposts when your position became untenable.

Edit: Oh, and you've never managed to explain how a team that is actually pretty decent at limiting chances and was average at worst in turnovers manages to be so much worse in net than many other goalies on teams who were worse defensively. The Flyers really weren't THAT bad on defense, it just looked worse because any mistake had a higher-than-normal chance of going in. That tends to happen when the starting goalie can't get himself to .900 until his last start of the season.

Maybe...just MAYBE...the crap goaltending isn't due to a host of things that all the stats show you're completely overblowing. MAYBE...just maybe...the crap goaltending was due to having a crap goaltender.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-17-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 05:55 AM
martz11

Quote:
Dude, you spent two years defending Bryzgalov tooth and nail and then latched onto Mason when it was clear Bryz's ship was sinking fast and he was a convenient out. It's not the first time you moved the goalposts when your position became untenable.

Edit: Oh, and you've never managed to explain how a team that is actually pretty decent at limiting chances and was average at worst in turnovers manages to be so much worse in net than many other goalies on teams who were worse defensively. The Flyers really weren't THAT bad on defense, it just looked worse because any mistake had a higher-than-normal chance of going in. That tends to happen when the starting goalie can't get himself to .900 until his last start of the season.

Maybe...just MAYBE...the crap goaltending isn't due to a host of things that all the stats show you're completely overblowing. MAYBE...just maybe...the crap goaltending was due to having a crap goaltender.
Quoting this for the truth

Old
07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Can't wait to see what Emery and Mason have to offer.

07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
xifentoozlerix

Bryzgalov was pretty much awesome through mid february. Who knows what happened after that.

Old
07-17-2013, 07:22 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Looking forward to it also ! I like this tandem and would not be surprised to see Razor being # 1 if his health stays good ! He is a damn good goalie when all systems are go ! I like Mason as well and he certainly has the skillset to carry the load....It will be a BIG plus to have goalies that can handle the puck well !

Old
07-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Flyerfan4life

if Bryz is soooo awesome, why have ZERO teams signed him...

oh wait, cuz hes a disaster, thats why...

Old
07-17-2013, 10:06 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

Because he was over in Sweden for at least 2 weeks (starting at free agency) trying to get some things straightened out in his game.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Me too! As much as I like Rayzor I'm hoping Mason builds off of last year and wins the starter job.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

Combo of lackluster play and most teams being settled in the goalie category in terms of who they have. I can't really think of a team in need of a starter, and Bryz is probably waiting it out to see if he can get a starting gig before being a backup.

ANA - Fasth
CGY - Irving?
EDM - Dubnyk
LA - Quick
PHO - Smith
SJ - Niemi
VAN - Luongo
CHI - Crawford
COL - Varlamov
DAL - Lehtonen
MIN - Backstrom
NSH - Rinne
STL - Halak/Elliott/Allen
WPG - Pavelec

BOS - Rask
BUF - Miller
DET - Howard
FLA - Markstrom
MTL - Price
OTT - Anderson/Lehner
TB - Bishop/Lindback
TOR - Reimer/Bernier
CAR - Ward
CBJ - Bobrovsky
NJ - Brodeur/Schneider
NYI - Nabokov?
NYR - Lundqvist
PHI - Duh....
PIT - Fleury
WSH - Holtby/Neuvirth

So the only question marks I really see are NYI and CGY, who knows if those two places are attractive for a guy like Bryz or who knows if they'll sign him. For any of the other teams, I can't see them giving up on their guys to sign him as a starter.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Because he was over in Sweden for at least 2 weeks (starting at free agency) trying to get some things straightened out in his game.
Huh? What does that have to do with Bryz not getting signed yet?

Old
07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

PS, speaking of Buffalo, did Jonas Enroth fall off the face of the earth?

Old
07-17-2013, 10:13 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Because he hasn't been around to talk to teams about signing a contract? That's what I was thinking of.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:14 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Yet another season of hope with our goaltending...

Hopium doesn't have the same effect as it once did for me at least...

Old
07-17-2013, 10:16 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Because he hasn't been around to talk to teams about signing a contract? That's what I was thinking of.
That's what phones and agents are for. A player doesn't have to meet face to face with a team to get a deal done.

There has been literally nothing about teams being interested in Bryz except for Edmonton (who felt more comfortable with Jason Labarbera )

Old
07-17-2013, 10:17 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yet another season of hope with our goaltending...

Hopium doesn't have the same effect as it once did for me at least...

It's all we can do at this point. At least we're going in with better prospects than usual, I mean a former Calder trophy winner who is still young and a guy who helped his team win the Jennings trophy last year... there's a glimmer in there somewhere!

Old
07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
That's what phones and agents are for. A player doesn't have to meet face to face with a team to get a deal done.
True but given the media circus I'm sure GMs will want to meet with him face to face to get a better read on him.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It's all we can do at this point. At least we're going in with better prospects than usual, I mean a former Calder trophy winner who is still young and a guy who helped his team win the Jennings trophy last year... there's a glimmer in there somewhere!
I agree...but I wish I could feel "higher".......this is what happens after hoping for a legit starter for so many years. Ugh...

Old
07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Damaged Goods

Don't hurt em, Beef.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
After the experience he had here? I don't think he had any intention of playing in the NHL this year. He'll follow kovalchuck to russia. I can't wait to see this crew of goalies but Mason played under an onslaught of shots with no pressure. (my point being the defense sucked but he played fluid in the zone because of being out of the playoffs) stood on his head a couple of games but i'm not convinced with him yet. I watched enough blue jackets games on center ice after 2009 to know, regardless of his size, he found a way to let in tons of crap goals. maybe its the team change tho. goalies are weird like that. That said, i have tons of faith in Emery and the small contract in my mind makes it even more of a lock he'll play great when healthy. He's seems to be shying away from any kind of an albatross situation. I feel like he could've gotten a mil more.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
After the experience he had here? I don't think he had any intention of playing in the NHL this year. He'll follow kovalchuck to russia. I can't wait to see this crew of goalies but Mason played under an onslaught of shots with no pressure. (my point being the defense sucked but he played fluid in the zone because of being out of the playoffs) stood on his head a couple of games but i'm not convinced with him yet. I watched enough blue jackets games on center ice after 2009 to know, regardless of his size, he found a way to let in tons of crap goals. maybe its the team change tho. goalies are weird like that. That said, i have tons of faith in Emery and the small contract in my mind makes it even more of a lock he'll play great when healthy. He's seems to be shying away from any kind of an albatross situation. I feel like he could've gotten a mil more.
I agree he'll be headed back to the KHL (been saying it from day 1 when the amnesty buy-outs came into play). I don't think it will be by his own choice though.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

It's a team sport. We seem to have lost a couple of good goalies around here for one reason or another. His save perc. wasn't great here but as you watch a lot of hockey I'm sure, you know how inconsistent goalies are. especially when moving from team to team. His contract sucked but he is a really good goalie who had a slightly above average run with the team he played for in philly. the team being the mess that it was. we needed him to win or be in contention for a vezina every year to justify that contract which was imo impossible on this team. And don't give me bob just needed five more seconds to develop. We have a season coming up that will explain a lot about whether this offensive system executed properly is capable of overcoming any defensive compromises that might be made to implement it. We'll also learn a lot more about Mason. I obviously agree with bernie that it wasn't goaltending that did us in these last two years. i can understand how'd you think that tho staring at that save percentage the way you do.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
It's a team sport. We seem to have lost a couple of good goalies around here for one reason or another. His save perc. wasn't great here but as you watch a lot of hockey I'm sure, you know how inconsistent goalies are. especially when moving from team to team. His contract sucked but he is a really good goalie who had a slightly above average run with the team he played for in philly. the team being the mess that it was. we needed him to win or be in contention for a vezina every year to justify that contract which was imo impossible on this team. And don't give me bob just needed five more seconds to develop. We have a season coming up that will explain a lot about whether this offensive system executed properly is capable of overcoming any defensive compromises that might be made to implement it. We'll also learn a lot more about Mason. I obviously agree with bernie that it wasn't goaltending that did us in these last two years. i can understand how'd you think that tho staring at that save percentage the way you do.
Wait, you really think Bryzgalov was above average with Philly? Or am I misreading you?

You don't need to look at save percentage to realize Bryzgalov was terrible here. All you had to do was watch him, and compare his performance to the goalie across the ice. More often than not the guy across the ice was clearly better.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:27 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Wait, you really think Bryzgalov was above average with Philly? Or am I misreading you?

You don't need to look at save percentage to realize Bryzgalov was terrible here. All you had to do was watch him, and compare his performance to the goalie across the ice. More often than not the guy across the ice was clearly better.
I think overall he was good. i don't buy into public perception of him. we play a style with current personel that's cremated a couple really good goalies lately. I know whats done is done but i factor in our decision to bail on bob that quickly (and there's a reason we did and its not on him) when he wasn't really given a chance far as I'm concerned. we signed him young. we knew he was young. we then bring in a ton of younger players. do you think he was given a fair chance in the 2011 playoffs? i don't. He let in some goals. it happens. But to bail on him? I'm just not sold on every thing we do just because their my team. I think laviolette has escaped heavy criticism so far because he swooped in and got us to the finals. But i think a couple years down the line we may look at his tenure and everything that goes with it including the goalie situation as a mistake fest that can be traced to his philosophy. I want it to work but its not 1990. He's got this year with a different look and we'll find out soon enough. I don't think keeping bryzgalov this upcoming year would've been good for the team because of his attitude going into the toilet so I'm glad we bought him out but I still have to see us play more consistently down both ends to think him leaving solves all our problems. we still have lots problems.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:39 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
D
Edit: Oh, and you've never managed to explain how a team that is actually pretty decent at limiting chances...
I would love to see NHL level stats on scoring chances given up...I've seen our shots numbers <and I know we disagree here >, but I don't view those two the same.

Closed Thread